Welcome to
Aimee's Adventures
Message Board!!!

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
salad

We have been invited to a party for my son's baseball team and everyone is bringing something...the list went kinda like this...hotdogs, hamburgers, potato salad, cake, appetizers, chips. UGH!!! So I offered to bring salad (or salads if need be)

Any suggestions on what kind of salad I should bring so that I can have something to eat and still feel like I am bringing something others can enjoy too? I was thinking of doing one with field greens, pear, walnuts and dried cranberries, maybe some kinda red. fat cheese? Any other ideas? I have been enjoying the Newman's Own lite balsamic vinagrette (1 pt for 2 tblsp) but I am not sure if others will like it too.
Thanks,
Marilyn

Re: salad

Marilyn
Bring what you like, as others will like it also.

Or make some sort of a pasta salad with colored pasta, and lots of veggies, you can have that, just eyeball a cup. or else bring your own, while others are eating that.

Remember take care of YOU, thats who this is about.

have fun.......

I agree with Tobe to make what YOU like and want and need.

Personally I have brought something that is a complete meal such as a Mandarine Orange Chicken Salad. A complete meal to me has: vegetable, high fiber, protein and low carbs and something that has volume.

When in a hurry I buy roasted (hot) chicken, remove skin and use the white meat. I save the rest for chicken salad sandwichs for the next day.
I shred the white meat.

One or two cans of Chinese Mandarine Orange slices
packed in water.

1/2 cup of raisins or dried cranberry if desired.
1/2 cup walnuts, pecans or almonds if desired
(remember to count all the ingredient points)

Dressing your choice bottled or make your own.

I use FF Ceasar Dressing.
Sometimes I make a FF mayo/mustard/gingerdressing using the reserved orange juice from the can, but I place it all on the side with a regular dressing if someone wants it.

The salad has been a hit every time. It is served warm. I toss the ingredients when I get there because the warmth can wilt the lettuce too much. When served fresh it 'goes fast'. I think because it is a crosss between a hot dish and a cold dish.

Any way you wanted suggestions. But I LIKE what you thought of. I did not understand the "red fat cheese".

I do however use FAT FREE FETA Cheese from Trader Joes, just not in this salad recipe.

So let us know what you chose and how it worked out.

Glad to see you preparing and thinking!

JeanCat

OOPS by red fat cheese I meant reduced fat cheese (not the color red) - sorry that did look strange.

I dont particularly care for fat free cheese - just my taste I guess - but I can do the reduced fat kind - thought maybe a blue cheese crumble or feta.

I do like your idea of adding the chicken to the salad as I am not going to have any protein otherwise since I dont want to use points on a hamburger or hot dog - just not that interested in them for the high point value - I might just make a salad with everything in it like you do - I buy the rotisserie chicken all the time at costco and do the same thing - as soon as I get it home I shred it off the bone and use it on my lunch salad all the time - never thought to do it and take along to a gathering - great tips ladies.
I was also toying with the idea of bringing some veggie burgers - do this alot since my younger son is vegetarian so he can have a hard time finding something "friendly" to eat too.

Im also thinking of the Newman's own low fat sesame ginger salad dressing with the chicken, salad greens and maybe the mandarin oranges and some type of oriental veggie like snow peas or such...Im getting hungry!

And you are right it is all about the planning and knowing what is a priority - shouldnt always be about the food!
Thanks,
Marilyn

Re: Re: salad

Thanks for the feedback. So what DID you end up doing! That chicken salad sounds great with the Newman's Own!

If that is what you brought I bet it went over well.

Jean Cat

Re: Re: Re: salad

"HELLO" Any one HOME JeanCat????

Sorry I SHOULD haver known RED = Reduced Fat!

I do buy Fat Free Feta from Trader Joes and LOvE it.

MOT FF cheese does not melt well. I have learned it is cheaper pointwise to buy FF and mix it with 4 gram low fat or Reduced Fat from trader joes or add a small amount of olive oil to help it melt in casseroles etc.

I also use Soy Veggie slices.

JeanCat

Lately i made the following salads: not the typical "picnic" ones,because some are to be to served immediately, but just thought i would share

Marinated Shrimp Salad

Italian Antipasto Salad ( which i love cause it has no meat, uses artichokes instead)

Greek Vegetable Salad( with garlic `n` herb feta cheese and kalamata olives)

Shrimp Shell Salad

I usually bring this salad it goes well with most things...
Taffy Apple Salad

4 Green Granny Smith Apples
1 sm. pkg. Butterscotch FF/SF Pudding
1 can Pinapple Tidbits or Crushed(I prefer tidbits)
1 container Lite Coolwhip

Drain pineapple tidbits, reserve juice. Blend pudding with juice. Chop apples into small pieces and blend with pineapple. Add the pudding mixture and coat apples & pineapples well. Fold in cool whip. Chill. That's it! 1 cup = 2 pts and also 1 fruit serving!

Enjoy the picnic!
Susie

Susie, what size can of pineapple and cool whip do you use with this salad? It sounds yummy.
Laura

Laura-I use the large can of pineapple, I think it is 20 oz can. and the cool whip is just the regular container. You can use the FF cool whip but it doesn't change the point and there is more sugar in the FF so I just use the light! It is really good. I make it all the time just to have in the fridge on hand to get a fruit serving in. If you don't tell people in Low fat they don't know!

Susie,

That sounds marvelous! I will try that for dessert!

JeanCat

Akus what do you put in your salads? Dressing etc?

Special recipe or just add shrimp to what ever salad you got?

JeanCat

Thanks Susie, can't wait to try it.
Laura

No JeanCat the marinated shrimp salad has a homemade white wine vinaigrette poured over it. Mixed greens,chopped celery,green onions, 1 1/4 lb cooked medium shrimp.
Combine 1st 3 ingredients; add 1/3 cup of vinaigrette; and toss to coat shrimp

White Wine Vinaigrette
1/2 cup white wine vinegar
6 T olive oil
1 t sugar
1/4 t salt
1/2 t pepper

Combine all in a bowl and stir well with a whisk. Cover and chill.Stir before serving
Makes 3/4 cup
serving size is 1 T- 2 points

1 cup of greens and 1 cup of shrimp mixture is 4 points
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
The Shrimp shell salad has small pasta shells,celery, hard boiled eggs, a combo of mayo-cocktail sauce, and horseradish plus seasonings.

4 pts for a cup.

Thank you Akus!

Sounds Delish!

JeanCat