Decide on a course of Action
By learning form experience
Apply the lessons learned
Change what needs to be changed
Kick Bad Habits

“Be good to yourself look for improvement no perfection.”

In 1953 Sir Hilary Edmond successfully climbed Mount Everest
29,000 ft straight up
Yet in l952 only one year previously, he attempted but failed.

A week after his failure in l952, he was asked to address a meeting as the motivational speaker. He said he felt terrible thought of himself as a failure. Yet the crowd greeted him with a thunder of applause. They saw his attempt as the best anyone had done so far and they felt it was a victory for anyone to get as high up or far up the mountain as he had.

In a statement Sir Hilary said “Mt Everest you beat me this time but I’ll beat you the next because you have grown all you are going to grow, but I’m still growing”.

The Leader went on to interpret this as to mean that we can liken our weight loss journey to that of Sir Hilary. He had a practice run and failed but succeeded the next year. He learned from his mistakes, did not give up and moved on. He examined the weaknesses and negatives, learned from his experience changed what needed to be changed decided upon a course of action and then experienced the positive! He succeeded!

She asked the group how we might make the analogy of Sir Hilary with our current wt loss. There was much input.
Here is one member’s response:

“I have returned after loosing all of my wt over 150 pounds. I gained it ALL back and then some. I feel like a failure. Yet I KNOW what I did wrong, I have learned from that mistake, I do not repeat those mistakes, I have addressed my weaknesses and use my positive to overcome.”

The Leader was ecstatic! She felt this was a very good example of today’s ‘lesson’.
So the leader asked: What are some of our ‘failures’ that others see as our successes?

Here were some of the answers:

1. Gained Weight in spite of a good week, yet others see the total wt loss, we just see that weeks number!
2. No movement on the scale, others see that as ‘well that is positive because at least you did not gain’.
3. Gained Weight in spite of the fact that you added an added exercise plan to your program.

Once again the theme was about success and keeping your eye on the prize, tying this in to last week’s topic.

I sat there thinking about how at the beginning of the meeting I was given an award for 15 pounds off. The truth is I was not happy with my 16.8 lb loss, since I had actually lost a total of 17 pounds since I began “this return” in January 2007, but I had gained back 0.2 more pounds that I have not gotten off yet; to be where I was only a few weeks months ago, back in February 2007! The members clapped and cheered for me, yet inside I was saying to myself’ I don’t even deserve this’. I got a negative attitude because I had not lost 0.2 pounds!!! How ridiculous is that? 0.2 lbs!

After the lecture I felt better about the award and agreed it was for all that I have done; not what I have not done. But there is a way to deal with that which would be to examine the negatives, change habits that don’ work, find the weaknesses, find a course of action and implement it.

My course of Action is to post this, admit the positive and to re-commit to the Summer of Success Self-challenge. The Challenge says that I am to review my Self-Challenge weekly and then be totally Honest. Be flexible and change what needs to be changed.

So far I did well in the last two weeks so I can not complain. I have reexamined what I have done the positive and the negative. I have posted the details on the Summer Self challenge thread.

Hope this helps someone out who did not make it to the meeting or does not do meetings.

Please share what you got out of your meeting especially if it was a different topic or your lecturer presented in an unusually helpful manner!

Respectfully,

JeanCat

Here is a link to last weeks review post:
Topic of Week Ending Saturday May 26, 2007 - Review
http://pub18.bravenet.com/forum/1520267441/fetch/1063149/5

Here is a link to Summer of Success Self-Challenge! Thread
http://pub18.bravenet.com/forum/1520267441/fetch/1063172/5

Typo/Correction Re: Topic of Week Ending Saturday June 2, 2007 - Review

FEEDBACK!
F = Find out your weakness!
E = Experience the Positive!
E = Examine the Negative
D = Decide on a course of Action
B = By learning form experience
A = Apply the lessons learned
C = Change what needs to be changed
K = Kick Bad Habits

“Be good to yourself look for improvement, NOT perfection.”

Hope this helps those that like to review!

JeanCat

Re: Topic of Week Ending Saturday June 2, 2007 - Review

Placing this up at the top as some are not active ont he weekends.

JeanCat