Aimee's Adventures
Message Board!!!

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Here I go again!

Hello all!

I am taking the first step in getting back on the WW program. I was very successful with the program for three years, then I fell off the program due to family stress (special needs son, mom fighting cancer). I am determined to start over with the meetings this Wednesday (the 6th), but the problem is I am afraid to step on the scale. I know that I've gained weight as my clothes are too tight and I've had to go up a size. Somehow, though, if I don't step on the scale, I can deny the problem. I am also afraid to go back to the meetings because I feel like a failure. I remember reaching my goal weight and thinking I would never be overweight again! How wrong! I know that I will get the support I need at the meetings. It's just taking that first step that is so hard! Any encouraging words would help! Anyone else been to this point like me?
Jill

Re: Here I go again!

Your post is pretty much the same as mine. I await any and all replies as I too need help. Hang in there!

Jill-The best thing you can do is go back to the meetings and weigh in! Face the music and start fresh! Today is a new day, you cannot change the past only make the future better! Please don't consider yourself a failure. Just think of your weight gain as a small set back. This website will be a huge motivational tool. Everyone is very supportive and helpful. I too am in the same position as you. I'm trying to get my courage up to post my weight and picture and join in with the rest of the people. I just started to post again! Best of luck to you, don't give up you already made a step in the right direction by posting!

Let me ask a question, If you dont step on the scale? do You think the weight will disappear? We all have tried to do it alone, cause of the embarrasement of weighing in. But i dont think after weigh in's the leaders say, OMG, did You see what she weighed! But i am sure they so say, oh my did You see who came back, GOOD for HER!There is not a person ALIVE that has gained weight that wants to see a gain after missing meetings/weigh in's. If you weigh at home, then you already seen the numbers.

Personally i bet there are alot of people who say, l lost before without WW, but i think meetings/fellowship/accountability, KEEP it off. I lost and thought i could keep it off without WW. As many here that have rejoined, and as many as i have read on other blogs, that rejoined, if doing it alone was the magic forumala we would have never joined WW to begin with.

Agree-disagree, its just my opinion and offers of food for thought.

Thanks to all of you for your thoughts and opinions. I just want to let all of you know that I am going back to the meetings on Wednesday, I was just letting you know my inner demons about going back. No, I don't think anyone will say, OMG look how much weight she's gained. I am sure that there will be people there who are in the same boat as I am. I have learned a valuable lesson in my weight loss/gain journey and that is that I can't do it alone. I have to have the meetings and the accountablity of the meetings even after meeting goal. It's also great that all of you here are so open and honest. Sometimes we need a good kick in the behind to get us rolling again!

Yep and its always nice to have less behind to kick .

Maybe by summer's end, I'll have less to kick!!

Good for You, Jill,on going back, we all have demons, some are even chocolate covered.

Glad you didnt listen to them.

Hey Jill
I can't tell you how manytimes I've gone back to WW, hit goal, stopped going, gained it all back and then some. Went back again and again and each time I vowed I was going to stick to it.. HIt goal again and stopped... thats what we do.. its the nature of the beast that lives within us, I call it and I know what I have, its an eating disorder.

I went back AGAIN in Oct 06 luckilly with only 23 lbs to get back to goal, I finally hit it again in the end of March, and this time around, I've been showing up every tues in a meeting.
I've missed 1 meeting in Feb, I was away, but I took my journel with me, and came home and lost 2 lbs.

This time around, I vowed that I will keep going, even tho I'm now a few lbs under goal and I'm a life time member which I made about 25 or more years ago..
Its nice, not nice, but great not to have to pay for my WI's and meetings.

My plan is to suit up and show up agin tomorrow morning for my weekly weigh in, and I must sit through the meeting, in order to have a successful week.

Hi Jill,

I lost 115 lbs. on WW about 3 years ago. I gained back almost all of it. I had the same feelings your having. I didn't want to go back because I felt like a failure but knew I couldn't do it alone. I also didn't want to get weighed. I finally decided to "face the music" and go back. When I got on the scale, I told the lady who weighed me not to tell me how much I weighed. She wrote it down in my book and I didn't look at it. I didn't weigh all week at home, went back, weighed in, I let her tell me how much I lost but I didn't look at how much I weighed. It worked for me, after awhile I looked at it. You're not alone in your feelings, you CAN do it.

Laura

I'm a lifetimer who gained back and 43 1bs more and I felt terrible. It took me 21 years to go back.I'm soooo glad I went back. I know I can loose weight, maintainance is my new thing to learn.
The first time at ww that I started at is now my new goal.
What I plan to do differant is not change much that I've been doing and do this forever because I feel good and healthy.
Congratulate yourself in making the first step.
I also reward myself with little things when I loose. Things like a cooler a points calcuator a book all things that I need to be sucessful.

Jill- Good for you - and good luck on Wednesday...it is the first step in getting back on track - so dont feel like a failure cause you are doing something about it. I too have joined and lost and gained it back.

Stress in life can play a BIG part in how we handle food - I can relate to you because I too have a special needs son (14 year old with high functioning autism) and I can always find a reason to turn to food for comfort. This time around with WW I have learned that I need to be healthy to be able to deal with the extra demands put on me because of his special situation - and I need to take care of me so I can take care of him.

Keep you chin up and take the first step back to a healthier lifestyle - we are here to help along the way.
Marilyn

Dear Jill,

I too habve been to WW and back many many times. i recently wrote to AnnieEmmm about this. You can read that thread.
I will add here that this time around, even though it was for health in April 2004, I was so embarrassed in September of 2006 that I had gained back 10 of the 15 pounds I had lost but this was while going to WW! I was paying but not doing anything!
When my second health scare hit in december 2006 I got REALLY serious.

For most of us it is a process. I am praying that this time I make it to maintenance and learn to keep it off. I have NEVER gotten to goal. But I keep coming back!

I have gone to OA and found that I am a compulsive overeater (which in my opinion is a disease) and I learned this in my mid twenties. But it has taken NOW for me to hit my bottom to accept it. That does not mean that I am perfect or that I won't go off program again, but it means I am more aware and less likely to.

Again I believe when you are 'ready' you will truly committ, in the mean time I am so happy that you made a great positive choice to stay with/return to WW. It really works.

I am an adult school teacher and I teach pharmacology. When I see adults start the program with a future ahead of them a better job and better income if they complete the course, all of a sudden STOP I am hurting for them. I KNOW in my heart of hearts the WW Leader's are saddened if/when they notice that their members have stopped coming in. They are most likely hoping that we are at different meetings.

That brings me to: I actually drive 30 minutes away from my home(19 miles) just to go to a different meeting with my friend, but mainly to a different leader because I was too embarrassed to return to the same leader. The game worked! I returned. Who is suffering? I am because I have to drive the distance, and because I spend more time after the meeting with my buddy and we shop go to lunch, stay on program but I spend even more money and time. But I am back on track. It got me back and maybe if you can go to a different leader it may help. But sooner or later we all have to face our truth. For me it was when my new leader took a day off and my old leader came to substitute! Well she learnd I had not left WW but rather her! I am sure she felt bad. But I told her that it was because I wanted to attend with my friend. She accepted that. At least I hope!

What is it that all the replies have in common? that going back is much better than facing our wt gain alone again and chancing not getting back to WW.

Welcome back to WW! And thank you for your post!
Posts help us to reflect and help someone else and our selves again and strengthen our own committment.

Respectfully,

JeanCat

Wow! I feel so much support here. I am amazed. I will most certainly keep posting. My question now is how do you sign up for the weigh-in posts? Just curious,I have a week or so before I could post to that thread. Jeancat, I really appreciate your post. I actually thought of going to a different meeting, but I really enjoyed the leader at my old meeting and I've heard through the grapevine that she is still there. I figure while I am facing the scale, I might as well face my old leader too. Also, I have a good friend who went through the program with me the first time and she is also going to join with me again as she has gained some weight also. I have found that having a friend on program helps a lot. Again, thanks for all your encouragement. I am sure posting here will help me stay on program.[:-)

Re: Re: Here I go again!

Dear Jill,

Thank you for your display of appreciation.
I am glad that you are going back with your friend.

Going BACK to WW with my friend, who also had lost about 70lbs with WW, made a big difference! We have bond that is difficult to break and to explain. Going with a friend has help me stay on program longer and better. Also we walk together. We help each other thru hurdles.

Posting on this site has helped me stay on program day by day. I no longer think in week by week! I can handle the daily recommittment much easier to get to the weekly goal.

Posting here encourages me to speak out my opinion even if it is not liked or shared by others, I have a place I can post it. It has helped me to stay on track.

Looking forward to your posts of the future.
Thanks for the feedback (last weeks topic!)

JeanCat