Welcome to
Aimee's Adventures
Message Board!!!

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
How bad is soy sauce ?

I ate sushi yesterday and used low sodium soy sauce and very spareingly and I'm up today..just wondered if anyone save weight gain with sushi. I only had 6 peices of california rolls.

Re: How bad is soy sauce ?

Lorraine,

It is water weight for sure!! The calories are so low, but there is still quite a bit of sodium in the soy sauce even when it is low sodium. Don't fret - just drink lots of water to flush it out. You did just fine!

Uki

Maybe it was the combo of the soy sauce plus the rolls. It was not like You used a half of bottle.
Some California rolls have added sugar and SALT. Avocados are good but high in fat, did they use any cream cheese and mayo??

1 tsp of salt has lots more sodium than the 1 tsp of low sodium soy sauce

Dear Lorraine,

I am a sushi lover. So I too have to be careful with Soy.

I agree that the sodium/salt played a bigger role in the wt gain especially if it was OVERNIGHT!
I also agree that drinking more water will flush it out. Also try a bit of lemon juice or drink some orange juice which are natures best diuretics, to help flush it out.

I also agree with salt having more sodium than soy tsp per tsp!

Here are some facts for you:

One Tablespoon Soy Sauce = 1300 mg
One Teaspoon Salt = 2300 mg
above taken from:http://www.msha.com/body_sibling02.cfm?id=288

My math:
Since there are three teaspoons per Tablespoon
3 x 2300 = 6900 mg of Salt in one Tablespoon

Hence:
One Tablespoon Soy Sauce = 1300 mg
One Tablespoon Salt = 6900 mg

At that same site, look for a (2) recipe that shows how to cut everything from fat to sodium by scrolling down to the bottom of the page. Also a comparative table of some sodium containing foods.

Here is a quote from that site, taken in the interest of EDUCATIONAL purposes only:

"Why should I limit salt?
A diet high in salt can raise your blood pressure or may contribute to fluid retention, which makes your heart work harder, and may cause shortness of breath and swollen legs, ankles, and feet.

How much do I need?
The ideal goal for sodium in your diet is 2,400 milligrams per day or about one-teaspoon salt. This amount is present naturally in your food and does not mean you can add additional salt. Read food labels and select wisely.

To limit salt:
· Do not use salt at the table.
· Avoid canned and processed foods: soups, vegetables, meats, cheese, commercial breads, muffins, pastries and instant cereals.
· Omit salty foods such as pickles, olives, sauer*****, chips, crackers, T.V. dinners, hot dogs, luncheon meats, sausage, salt pork, chipped and corned beef, and commercial salad dressings.
· Omit high sodium seasonings: garlic salt, onion salt, and seasoning salts, bouillon, soy sauce, and “lite” salt.
· Omit prepared rice, pasta, and dried soup mixes, Hamburger Helper, and Shake & Bake type products.
· Eat fewer convenient and fast foods.
· Request less salt in your meals when eating out.

Simple ways to reduce salt:
· Use herbs and spices. Such as: Mrs. Dash and see spice list on page 8 (Spice Up Your LIfe).
· Use fresh garlic and onions or their powders or granules.
· Use fresh or frozen meats, poultry, fish, and vegetables; low sodium luncheon meats, tuna fish, and low sodium cheese.
· Salt can be omitted from any recipe except one containing yeast.
· Avoid recipes that contain substantial amounts of baking powder or baking soda (biscuits, muffins, pancakes, and waffles).
· Use low sodium or unsalted ingredients in recipes (unsalted margarine, low sodium crackers, low sodium cereals, low sodium canned products - soups, tomato sauces.
· Omit adding salt to boiling water when cooking pasta, vegetables or cereals.
· Read labels. Check for sodium content and replace with fresh, low sodium products, or homemade varieties, whenever possible."

Here is another site:

Sodium Content of our Food Interesting to note Soy sauce was not mentioned, yet Catsup and Mustard are along with MSG
http://www.midwestear.com/sodium.htm

Hope this helps you to put it all in perspective!

I usually eat sushi on Fridya nights! And I weigh in on Sats!!! The whole time I am downing water with lemon juice! I have also learned to use much less sodium and much more wasabi!

Good luck and tell us how your weigh in goes!
I agree water, water, water!

By the way decrease the tea and coffee during the soy sauce intake & water flushing!

Why? because you need MORE water to flush the caffiene out of the system. So it would be like not having any water flushing going on for the soy sauce.

JeanCat