Message Board!!!

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Portions

Portion-Control Tools

These items will help you portion your food into 1/2-cup to 3/4-cup servings:

* Snack-size baggies hold about 1 cup fully packed, and about 3/4 cup loosely packed. This is a good size for portioning crackers, nuts, pretzels, baked chips, dried fruit, turkey jerky, and cereal.
* Foil cupcake liners hold about 1/3 cup -- perfect for portioning baked goods and snack items.
* Mini foil pie pans are perfect for portioning side dishes and entrees.
* Large muffin cups (those that have about 6 cups per pan) will hold about 3/4 cup. That's just the right size for baking individual portions of entrees like quiche, shepherd's pie, chili cornbread casserole, etc.
* A ladle holds about 1/2 cup of liquid, great for portioning things like stew, chili, pasta and pasta sauce, and steamed rice.

Practically Portioned Food Products

Here are some items that come in reasonable portions:

* Small cereal boxes (they usually come in a variety pack) hold about 3/4 cup of cereal.
* Snack or power bars are individually wrapped portions -- usually about 2 1/2 ounces. Look for higher-fiber, lower-sugar varieties.
* Pita bread (preferably the whole-grain variety) is a great way to portion your sandwiches. If you fill half of each pocket with raw vegetables (lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers) you can't get into too much trouble with the fillers, such as chicken salad, roasted turkey, avocado and cheese, and lean ham.
* A small can of water-packed tuna (6 ounces) will keep your fish serving to about 3/4 cup (drained), totaling only 180 calories.
* A 14.5-ounce can of ready-to-heat-and-serve soup makes 2 servings (1 cup each). If you choose a soup that is broth- or tomato-based and has no more than 5 grams of fat per cup, you'll consume only about 250 calories -- even if you eat the entire can yourself.
* Individually wrapped light ice-cream bars keep your dessert serving to around 1/2 cup, depending on the brand.
* Individual portions of light entrees can be found in the frozen food section of your supermarket. You can even find higher-fiber vegetarian options these days. At Whole Foods Markets, for example, you'll find things like Bean & Cheese Taquitos (Whole Foods brand) and Tofu Lasagna (Amy's brand).
* Individual microwave popcorn bags (look for the "light" version) keep your popcorn serving moderate.
* 100% juice in individual bottles, boxes or pouches will keep your juice serving to 8 ounces.

Re: Portions

Thats a good idea.

Thanks akus..some most excellent suggestions!!

Karen

Good info Akus....some I didn't know.....Thanks for posting...

Patty

Thanks Akus! This is good info. I'd like to pass it on to my blog readers if you don't mind.

Great Info Akus!

Amy's brand of Lasagna? OUR AIMEE or ??

JeanCat

Pass it on Aimee, its fine.....

No JeanCat, this Amy is that Aimee.

???
Our AIMEE is that Amy?

or our Aimee is not that Amy?

Sorry but I am wondering if our AIMEE has such great recipes if SHE is the Amy with the Tofu Lasagna. But I am not sure if I understand you correctly. I realize there is a spelling difference, but perhaps for business purposes she changed it.

I am a dunce I know but none the less I will try the lasagna IF our Aimee is the maker, but if not the store you say it is at is VERY far from me... so I would pass on that.

Thanks again,

JeanCat

Ohh i forgot one important word in that post.

That Amy is NOT Aimee.

Amy's tofu lasagna, is one of many things that this family run business produces,using organic and natural foods. I have seen her products in stores, but never tried them. I only like to buy things like that if it is something i cannot make myself