Welcome to
Aimee's Adventures
Message Board!!!

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Sushi Help!

How bad is it for you? Specifically California Rolls and Tuna? I know that it is a broad question that will probably get a vague answer but I guess you could say that I relapsed and some for lunch. PLease tell me they are not that bad for you and I will survive....LOL

Re: Sushi Help!

Well, I don't know what kind of sushi you had, but I do know that California rolls have cream cheese, and so that's not good. Tuna's a fatty fish, but it's probably fine in a tiny roll of sushi.
It all really depends on how much you ate.

don't feel bad Scott, out of all the Sushi, California, Tuna, and Salmon Rolls are the ones they recommend. I think in WW world California roll is 4 pts for 4 pieces. Not horrible...as long as you didn't go overboard, which is hard not to do with Sushi..yum!

Well, being that I go overboard on everything I do...

I am now driving my car to the nearest bridge....

What do ya'll (I am from the south so I can use the word ya'll) do when you have slip ups? I feel so bad now because I have really good for about 6 weeks now.

Scott, first of all, we all slip up at some point. The important thing to remember is that the goal is improvement- not PERFECTION! (just reat that somewhere). We need to forgive ourselves, and try to do better next time- but we can't beat ourselves up- that does no good. I really think that many overweight people have this trait in common- we are way too hard on ourselves. If a friend slipped up, what would we say to them ??- "well, you idiot, now you've done it- you're just a big screw up". Of course we would never say that to someone we loved, but we talk like that to ourselves all the time. Let's try to be kinder to ourselves JUST FOR TODAY! When we slip, we need to have some positive self talk so that next time we face a difficult food choice, we are more likely to make the right choice. Now I'll come off my soap box- sorry- It just really makes me nuts when people say "I've been bad". Not bad- just had a lapse in judgement. Am I right, folks???

Sushi is 2 peices 1 point as long as its not cream cheese ones. Try the cucumber rolls.. I eat Sushi and loose every week. Be careful with the soy sauce and drink alot of water all day after.

I wanted to share this before when Lorraine asked about California rolls; These are only 4 points per wrap.

California Roll Wrap
If the popular California roll type of sushi were a sandwich, this is what it would be. I used fresh crab meat because it was on sale, but use imitation crab if you prefer.

Ingredients:

* 3 tablespoons light cream cheese
* 3 tablespoons fat-free sour cream
* 4 green onions (the white and part of the green), chopped (about 1/4 cup)
* 1/2 pound fresh crabmeat (free of bones)
* Pepper to taste
* 6 whole-wheat 8-inch tortillas (or the tortilla of your choice)
* 1 cucumber, thinly sliced
* 1 tablespoon wasabi powder, combined with 1 tablespoon cold water
* 1 large avocado, quartered, pitted, and sliced

Preparation:
1. Add cream cheese, sour cream, green onions, and crab to food processor and pulse until well blended (about five seconds). Add pepper to taste.
2. Soften the tortillas by wrapping in a slightly damp cloth and microwaving on HIGH for about a minute.
3. Spread one-sixth of the crab mixture on each tortilla. Then top each with about 12 thin slices of cucumber. Spread a small line of the wasabi mixture down the center of each tortilla (use more or less depending on your taste). Top the wasabi with the avocado slices.
4. Fold one end of each tortilla up toward the center, then continue to roll until you have a wrap (with the avocado in the center of each wrap).

Yield:
6 wraps

Nutritional Information:
Per wrap: 200 calories, 13 g protein, 26 g carbohydrate, 7.5 g fat (1.8 g saturated fat, 3.4 g monounsaturated fat, 1.2 g polyunsaturated fat), 42 mg cholesterol, 4 g fiber. Calories from fat: 30%.

Here is also a list of "rolls"

Approximate nutritional breakdown of sushi items:

Avocado roll: 246 calories, 11g fat, 33g carbs

Spicy tuna roll: 290 calories, 11g fat, 26g carbs

Shrimp tempura roll: 544 calories, 13g fat, 75g carbs

Philadelphia roll (salmon, cream cheese, avocado): 319 calories, 5g fat, 30g carbs

Spider roll (fried soft-shell crab): 317 calories, 12g fat, 38g carbs

California roll: 266 calories, 8.5g fat, 36g carbs

Cucumber roll: 136 calories, 0g fat, 30g carbs

Eel and avocado roll: 372 calories, 17.5g fat, 31g carbs

Tuna nigiri (2 pieces over rice): 240 calories, 1g fat, 27g carbs

Salmon sashimi (2 pieces, no rice): 164 calories, 6g fat, 0g carbs

BTW, hello Scott, welcome.

I had a chance to buy some California rolls today, but instead bought the cutest pair of shoes!! Amazing how sexy skinny ankles look!!!

LouAnne said "Am I right, folks???"
I say "yep yep yep, you are correct" :)

Scott, I just checked my email about 30 minutes ago. I got your email. Somehow I got side tracked over here to the message board and haven't been able to leave yet. LOL! I'm glad you posted your question about sushi here because honestly I've never had sushi, so I don't know about the points. These ladies are always helpful. :) Don't go jumping off of any bridges. So you had a slip up. We've all had them. I know even when I try my hardest I'm far from perfect. But then again, what is perfection really? :) Just put it behind you and move forward. It happens to even the best of the best of the best I'm sure. Tomorrow is a brand new day.

PS, Glad to see you posting over here at the message board Scott. We need more men to stop in over here (got any friends? LOL). Ben stops in every now and then, but not often enough (ya hear that Ben?) LOL!

Dear Scott,

I eat sushi weekly when I can! That means can afford it.

I have had three consequtive weeks with losses eating it. I have had many weeks of gains or no moves eating or not eating it.

It is all about salt and counting the points.

If you bite it, you must write it!
If you pack it, you must track it!

So I am sure you will be fine. But if you are not there is always NEXT week and the rest of your life!

I eat mainly salmon rolls.

JeanCat

Dear All,

WW magazine has an article of the ins and outs of eating Sushi. I jut got the mag so I will take a look at it and get back to you.

JeanCat

Back to Scott Re: Sushi Help!

Sorry to All, I have been visiting my mom and no time to read the magazine as of yet.
Will get back to you on this. But love the break down that was given above.

JeanCat

Scott,

I too love sushi, and really most of it is very healthy and low in points, or at least reasonable in points.

I have purchased fresh sushi from our Commissary as well as Kroger and recently I grabbed one of their books with the nutrition info in it. Now, I have not had a California roll with cream cheese in it. I know they make rolls with cream cheese, but the "California" rolls that I buy have the traditional rice, seaweed, cucumber, crab and avocado. The package that I buy has 12 pieces in it and weighs 273 grams. I believe these are 12 average sized pieces for a California roll. At any rate the info is as follows: Calories 361, Fat 6 grams, Fiber 3 grams. I don't have my slider in front of me, but I think this would be about 6 pts for the entire tray, making it 2 peices for 1 pt.

I hope this helps you! Sometimes I get a tray of this and I make it my meal for lunch or dinner.

Tammy

Tammy,

It does help. I actually like the Salmon and Tuna rolls as well which would make me think that they should be around the same point total. That doesn't make me feel as bad now.

Scott-I don't know about the sushi thing, but as far as getting off tract, I always say tomorrow is a new day and not to beat yourself up over a slip up. We all have them, so your not alone. Just make tomorrow a better day!

Susie

I know that I have gained this week so I am kind of upset with myself. Although, I guess it is progress not profection. Still doesn't make me feel any better though...LOL!

It's ok Scott. It happens to everyone. It's a learning process. I've been submerged in this for about 6 years now. I practically eat, sleep, dream and breathe WW info, yet even I'm still learning.

As AIMEE said it happens to the BEST of us! So you are in good company and so am I!

JeanCat