Aimee's Adventures
Message Board!!!

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Drinking Water

Thanks Tobe. Just when I talk myself in to believing all liquids are equal you just have to remind us. LOL! Really, thanks for the reminder. I really need reminding, hate water.

I just read an article about "Staying Hyrdated", it was part of the piece i posted about the water in some of the foods we eat. I always heard that it was good to drink half of Your weight. If one weighs 200 lbs, you drink 100 oz.( which would be 12.5 - 8 oz glasses) Since i started WW again i dont have a problem with drinking water, i drink close to a gallon a day, plus a cup of hot tea or two. But, when i was not on WW i would rarely drink water. It was all sugar loaded beverages.

Here is part of the article
"Drinking water -- either sparkling or flat and perhaps with a twist of citrus -- is a great, noncaloric way to satisfy your thirst.

But if you struggle with drinking water, you're off the hook as long as you:

* Enjoy plenty of high-volume foods, including fruits and vegetables.
* Satisfy your thirst with a variety of healthy, low-calorie beverages such as 100% fruit juice, skim or low-fat milk, tea, and, of course, water.
* Pay attention to signs of dehydration, such as dry mouth and concentrated urine, which indicate a need for more liquids.

For years, drinking water has been recommended for weight loss -- despite the fact that it satisfies thirst and not hunger. Barbara Rolls, PhD, an expert on thirst and satiety, points out that thirst and hunger are regulated by entirely different mechanisms.

A recent study by Rolls and colleagues at Penn State University looked at whether people who drank water with lunch took in fewer calories than those who drank other low-calorie beverages. They found that drinking water had little effect on total calorie consumption at the meal.

"In all of our research, we have never been able to show that water can cause weight loss," says Rolls. The only way drinking water can help you lose weight is if you substitute it for higher-calorie beverages or foods, she explains.

eating foods with high water content can help dieters, by increasing the fullness factor.

"When you add water to a bowl of vegetables as in soup, the soup has greater satiety than when the vegetables are eaten alone with a glass of water," explains Rolls, author of The Volumetrics Eating Plan and The Volumetrics Weight Control Plan. "When water is incorporated into food or shakes, satiety is increased and subjects ultimately eat less food."

The weight loss benefits of water stem from several facts:

* Foods that incorporate water tend to look larger.
* The higher volume of these foods provides greater oral stimulation.
* Most important, when water is bound to food, it slows down absorption and lasts longer in the belly.

"

Wow...great postings....I learned a lot....We have some really smart people on here, don't we??? Thanks everyone for posting.... and welcome Scott....

Patty

WW currently suggests 6 glasses of water perday. It no longer recommends 8. Although many leaders still do.
The main reason is TOO much water can flush out electrolytes such asimportant potassium. However it does say that at least 1/2 should be water and the other 1/2 can be from veggies, fruits, soups etc.
Also one should not consider tea or other caffienated beverages as fluid as it takes more water to detoxify the body from the caffeine. It has been suggested that we dring one extra glass for every glass of tea or coffee or cola that we drink, in addition to our daily requierment.

Respectfully,

JeanCat