Welcome to
Aimee's Adventures
Message Board!!!

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Cheese Cheese Cheese

Anyone have any recommendations on types/brands that are not that bad? I love cheese too much to cut it out all together and I haven't had any in a while? I am going crazy! Any help would be great!

Re: Cheese Cheese Cheese

I believe that Borden's 2% and Kraft's 2% slices are 1 pt. per slice if you're looking for something to put on a sandwich or hamburger. These are the ones I use.

Thanks, I thought they were higher than that for some reason. There I go assuming again.

Scott..have you tried the Laughing Cow cheese that comes in a wedge? It is 1 pt. per triangle and is a good spreadable cheese on ANYTHING....

My wife and I can not find that Laughing Cow brand anywhere. We are in Mobile, Al and have looked everywhere. Any suggestions?

I think the only kind of cheese i dont use alot of is American.....

Laughing Cow Cheese( light, soft spreadable cheese) 1 point. i use this on wraps,buns,bread,pita's anything i use to make a sandwich.

Most of the others(2% or low-fat) are 2 points a slice or the shredded variety is 1/4 cup-2 pts.

Just had a slice of mozzerella, with pizza sauce on an English muffin. Mini-pizza's.

My new fav is Chipotle by Sargento's. Since most cheese's are 2 points that i use, i tend to have them awhile. i just toss em in the freezer. I also buy GOOD,Parmeggiano-Reggiano. Not that stuff in the green can.commonly referred to as "spaghetti cheese".

I also use low fat varieties of feta....my, i do have ALOT of cheese

Working in a grocery store helps, as i get to browse alot.

A Mini-Pizza sounds good right now...LOL! Lunch time around here.

Scott, I KNOW others on this site have mentioned the Baby Bells. I do not know the count, because I do not eat REAL cheese any more because I have high cholesterol/triglycerides.
However I do use a lot of soy cheese slices called Veggie Slices. Also I use the FAT FREE dairy cheese slices. I also use the FAT FREE Kraft Shredded (harder to find). I use to find the FAT FREE Ralphs brand and Alberson's: also now hard to find.

And of course I can not live without FF Ricotta and FF CREAM Cheese (my favorite).

For those who are lactose intolerant:
I am also lactose intolerant for some reason I can enjoy the hard cheese and semi-hard and cream.
Ihave a bit of a problem with the soft cottage and ricotta. But when baked I do not.

I do use the BEST shredded parmesan cheese as I use it sparingly and nothing else will do!

Hope this helps!

JeanCat

My favorite is the Laughing Cow cheese. I've gotten it at Sam's Club (cheaper there) and it's also at most of the grocery stores in my area (in the section where the regular cheese is, but sometimes also over near the deli where the fancier cheese is).

Scott, the Laughing Cow cheese is found at Sam's club, Costco warehouse..,most groceries have it, maybe you just don't know where to look for it.. Like aimee said, around the deli, near cut up salads they sell in a dish. Maybe you should call around and ask who sells it. Tonight I had a 96% fat free hamburger, spread one wedge of the lauaghing cow on top...No bun..and a salad...The baby bells are good, too..I think they are also 1 pt...They are usually right next to the Laughin Cow, since they are made by Laughing Cow....Good luck in your search...

Are the baby bells a harder cheese than the laughing cow wedges? I've never had them.

A baby bell( or mini baby bel) is just like a "round chunk of cheese", if i remember right it is not as soft as the wedgies.
Thinking about it now, there is another "cow" cheese;

The Laughing Cow Light Gourmet Cheese Bites™. Each bite size cube contains the same creamy-delicious light cheese, but the bite size cube makes it even easier to eat anytime, even without a cracker or celery to spread it on. Just unwrap and eat. Five Bites equal one wedge.

I have had those and the mini baby bel's, they are ok, i like the wedge's the best.

Cabot brand just put a new item out

50% less fat... (there are many varieties to choose from)

its quite good by the way, I bought the jalepano white cheddar, and it melts quite nicely, as most block low fat cheeses don't.

1 oz is 1 pt.

I use it in an omlette so an ounce is plenty...

Wow! What a lot of information about cheese. Scott, I would have a problem too if I had to give up cheese. I have never been able to find the Laughing Cow cheeses either. I live in Ga. But thanks to all these post raving about it, I am going to look closer in the deli section as was suggested. I prefer the 2% milk slices by Kraft. They are only one point per slice. The have a sharp cheese slice also that is only 1 point (2% milk). Also, don't forget that cheese counts as a dairy product.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH! I forgot to add I use teh Trader Joe Brand of Fat Free Feta on many of my salads, on Egg Beater Spinach Feta Omlette and on baked potato with FF sour cream!
There is also reduced fat Feta and regular.

I have 'pretended' it is bleu cheese on the salad, as it is quite sharp and has an aged flavor.

Enjoy!
JeanCat

Jill, I live in Ga. also and I buy Laughing Cow at SWM and Kroger. At the SWM I shop at it is in the island cases in front if the deli and at Kroger it is near the bagged cheeses and usually hard to see. Hope this helps.

Thanks Becky! I shop both those places and I'll look closer next time. I always looked in the cheese sections!

Scott,

I use the Kraft 2% American, Swiss and Pepper Jack. All of them are 1 point each. I have never tried the Laughing Cow but I have seen it at my SWM, but it's not with the cheeses. It is up front near the deli case.

Scott,

I'm a big fan of Sargento reduced fat deli slices. I've had the provolone and swiss varieties. They are 1 pt each, and are great on a sandwich. They can be hard to find sometimes, but they are located near the other sliced cheeses in the dairy case.

i love the laughing cow cheese, and have also been buying the cabot blocks for some time, they make the cheddar in 75% reduced fat and they are all really good