Welcome to
Aimee's Adventures
Message Board!!!

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Core Question

Okay you would think I should know this as much as I have been in and out of WW. But I only tried CORE 2 times and did not last more than one week. Quesion is this: CAN YOU eat whole wheat bread on CORE And count it as weekly 35 points or is it STRICTLY NO BREAD?

I thought I knew this but I got confused after reading a few recent posts.

Thanks, been thinking of doing core but I need my whole wheat SPROUTED Ezekial bread!

Thanks in advance,

JeanCat

Re: Core Question

Hey JeanCat! Sorry I've been MIA. I did Core for a couple of weeks, and am thinking about returning to it. But in answer to your question, there is no bread on Core. Of course, you're right, you get 35 flex points each week, so if you want bread, just use some of your flex points for the bread. (Or activity points for that matter.)

Sue

Thanks Sue! For some reason I thought I read here (more like I interpreted) that NO bread at all even with the weekly points.
I am thinking about going back to CORE for one week a month.
Got to stock the pantry ans psyche up for it!

Thanks for your input!

Glad to see ya back!

JeanCat

So then You are allowed bread but limited to how much i can eat? If i use my weekly 35 points to eat my 2 point whole wheat bagel, i can eat my 1/2 cup of ice cream as long as i count my points? I am sitting here looking at my "Eat Wisely" book from my first meeting. On page 50-51 it explains what one can eat on CORE if they want to use the 35 points. I am confused, it says here that 1/2 cup of ice cream is counted as 4 points. Now i know ice cream is, but that is REGULAR ice cream,not fat-free or light. A hamburger bun 3 points?? not the ones i eat, they are only 1 point.

Can i be on Core and still eat my beloved bagels, once a day? 2 points X 7 days= 14 points. Oye, i can eat ice cream even at 4 points a 1/2 cup, 5 days a week and be ok.???

maybe it is easier to ask what cant You eat on Core? Or is CORE just one way for people to eat who dont want to count points?

The list of core foods is what you should concentrate on while doing core. But you are given 35 points each week to use any way you want. Of course, they want you to try and make those healthy foods, but as long as you keep it to 35 a week - and stretched out over a week is best - then you're still doing Core.

You can also still earn activity points by exercising. Those are still to be used on the days that you earn the points. So if you want a bagel and it's 2 points, go for it. Just keep track of those points. Once you have used your activity points for the day, and once you have used your 35 weekly points, you need to stick strictly to the core foods.

Does that make sense?

Sue

OH AKUS! I am Sooooooooooooo glad you posted!@ I am NOT alone on this! Okay I think I've got it.

What I don't get is this: Everyone knows that avocados have lots of cals, points and fats. Yet because they are the good fats, CORE allows you to eat as much avocado as it takes to make you feel a '3' or satisfied.

What if I eat two whole avocados to feel satisfied? I love an avocado and FF mayo sandwich on my Ezekiel low sodium 1 point bread. But I could easily eat two avocados. Sooooooooooooo how can I lose wt this way?

I have a hard time 'believing' in the eat as much as you want to feel satisfied. Much of being satisfied is in my head.

I have to say that the alli site did give an alternative method of gaging whether or not you should stop eating, that I liked. You should imagine that you have to take a walk after dinner. You should eat only if you could comfortably do so. So if you feel a CORE Comfort Zone 4 or 5 you would not feel comfortable enough to walk after you eat. This removes the 'satisfaction' part of the comfort zone equation and makes it strictly physical. I think I can do that.

I am seriously thinking of trying it again. But as I said I am getting psyched up (to believe in it logically). I have always said if I could stop eating when I am supposed to I would not be in this mess (be so overwt)!

Keep the CORE ANSWERS and input COMING!

Thanks So much Sue!

JeanCat

Akus I KNOW one of the designs of CORE is to eat a more 'back to nature' diet. WHOLE GRAINS and more fruits and veggies. It is to teach us healthier living and eating.

JeanCat

OK, since I am knew and I don't want to burden you ladies with a question that I can get the answer to myself......where can I find more info on the CORE diet?

Scott
Go in to the week 1 book getting started in the back all the foods marked with a check is a core food.....

If you go to WW stay after the mtg and let your leader explain that part of the program to you.

I lost 2 lbs this week doing core for the last 5 days, which now brings me down to 5 lbs under goal....

its a good plan when flex gets boring....a nice changed indeed.

Hi Scott - I emailed you the long list of the Core foods - just in case you didn't have the Turn Around book. I had typed it up for a friend who was doing it online and couldn't find the list of foods.

If anyone else wants it, let me know - it's an 8 page Word document (but I copied it into an email).

Sue

Sue, thank you very much!!

JeanCat asked: What if I eat two whole avocados to feel satisfied? I love an avocado and FF mayo sandwich on my Ezekiel low sodium 1 point bread. But I could easily eat two avocados. Sooooooooooooo how can I lose wt this way?

I have seen somewhere - I think the WW site itself - that if you COMBINE core foods with non-core foods, you must count the entire points of the food, not just the added in non-core foods. So maybe that's how they tackle that situation. So instead of that being a 2 point sandwich, you then have to count in however many points the avocado amounts to. (I don't eat them, so I've never looked up their points.)

I'll ask my leader tonight when I go in for my meeting about that and see if that's the correct way to count it.

Sue

Oops! Sorry Tobe! I snagged your email address instead of Scotts! DUH!!!

Scott, sending another email, but to you this time!

Sue

thats ok Sue............

It was good seeing the whole thing in front of me instead of looking in da book!!! LOL.......

JeanCat,
I don't think they mean to sit and eat one certain food (especially avocados) until satisfied. If you look in the back of the week 1 "Getting Started" book, you'll see a list of foods with points as well as check marks. The check marks mean the food is core. They also give a serving size with each food (this is supposed to be what a serving is and you would be better off trying to stick close to it). For example, a serving of avocado is 1/4 of a medium or 2 ounces. I know they say you can eat until satisfied, but I'd try adding in other things (or I should say, servings of other foods to make your meal). If you're just wanting a snack and you want avocado, then I'd try to just have a serving. If that doesn't do the trick, try having something else that is a little lower and drink lots of water. Hope this helps.

Maybe i do CORE and dont know it......i looked at the list,the only thing i dont use( but can) is fat-free cheese. I would have to eliminate my use of light whipped cream cheese, but yet i could count the points and still use that.

Like i said before my problem with CORE is not the food choices, its the eat till satisfied concept, mentally it is something i know right now i could not do. But there may come a time when i need a little jiggle of my system, so its nice to know that the members of my little family will be here to help me when i decide to go hardCORE.

Sue, could I have your list of the core foods? thanks....candybarnibbler@earthlink.net

Patty

Wow! Maybe everyone that wants to do core should start it the same week and then keep notes and compare notes as to how much weight they lose or what their ups or downs are on core. I have never thought of doing core until just recently, like today! LOL! My biggest worry with it all is that eat until you are satisfied thing. I am not sure I can have enough control to do that. I know that counting points helps me 'cause I know when I am out of points I am out of points! However, when I clean my plate of food on core and want more, will I have the control to say I am satisfied and move on? I don't want to try it and then not be able to do it properly for at least the one full week. Maybe I'll try it but still count the points just to see how it goes. In other words, eat CORE only foods, but still count their points. I don't know!! Guess I'll have to think some more on this. You all keep on posting your info as it is a great help!
Thanks,
Tammy

Hey Patty - I forwarded the email that Scott (and Tobe ) got earlier. I can post it on the message board, but it's kinda long - not sure if that's adviseable...

Best of luck to ya!

Sue

Tammy and All

I went to WI last tues and did flex for the next two days and then on Thurs I switched to core, for 5.
lost the 2 lbs....with a boost of changed eating behavior...

THeres a man in my group on core, and he shared with the group, yes he piles the food on the dish, cause we like to see alot, but he said he eats slowly, chews slowly and then leaves food on the dish, and he's done.
I've been doing that, and so far so good......

We were also told, eat until you feel satisfied, and if you want to finish the food, put it on the counter and if you feel hungry an hr or two later, reheat it and finish it.
I haven't had to that yet!!!

I'm finding for just today, that core is much easier than flex, and I don't like Aimee miss those carbs, and I'm a carb-oholic for sure...........

I think core gives us more choices of foods to eat, but it is limited, carbs, fat, sugar substances....

I checked with the leader last night about counting the points for the avocado sandwich, JeanCat. She said with a sandwich, it's definitely just count the mayo and bread for points. But if you make a casserole you need to count the entire meal as points, since it's difficult to pinpoint how much broccoli or chicken is in each serving.

Sue

Sue-
Could you email the core list. I have been trying to get up the courage to try it, I'm so afraid I will over eat on it. I haven't been able to attend my weekly WW meeting due to work, etc., but next week I would like to start fresh, maybe even stay after the meeting to talk with my leader about core. I have to start thinking about me again which is very hard to do as we all know! Thank you for sending that when you get a chance, it is GREATLY appreciated!

Susie W.

Hi Susie! I forwarded the email to you. Keep us posted on what you decide and how you do!

Sue

After reading akus's "maybe I do core but don't know it" I decided to do a little research and found out that I too do CORE! Even more interesting: I stick to it with practically 100% accuracy and I had no idea what it entailed until about 5 minutes ago! Crazy, right?

For any of those still sitting on the "Core" fence, here's some more fuel to the fire: Apparently I've naturally evolved to core after years of trial and error with weight-loss and fitness. I've found, through reading tons of research on health and nutrition, that all the foods on the list are the best things to eat. I'm 26, a size 2 (used to be size 12-14 before I lost weight four years ago on the POINTs plan), and haven't had so much as a cold in about 3 years.... how's that for an indication that CORE rocks?

Awesome Mandee!

Wow Mandee! That's fabulous! Thanks for sharing that info! Leaning more and more toward going back to Core!

Sue

Sue-Thanks for the email! I'll probably try it next week after my meeting on Wednesday!

Susie

I just love all the info on these boards..

Thanks everyone.............

I been thinking about doing CORE, just to see if its the same or different it is to what i really eat.

Sue, please send me the list too!

Thank you!

landroller57@cox.net

Annie

Sue
Please send me the list too!
I typed up some core foods the other week for one of our members and sent it email. but I am wondering if ours are the same or how they may differ.
Thanks
Please use my email is above.

JeanCat

Hi AnnieEmmm and JeanCat. I sent you guys the list. It's nothing major, just totally copied directly from the TurnAround book.

But glad to help!

Thanks I got it!

Let me know if you want the one I made into charts a couple of weeks ago. IF you are serious about giving it a try it might be easier.

JeanCat

I think being on Points then switching to Core may be a little easier, because i have some idea of portion control. I just had watermelon for breakfast, i am not full,but satisfied. I do not want any more, am i thinking this because i know i used 1 point? or am i stopping cause i am full? OR am i finally thinking like a THIN person and not obsessing with food? I had a taco salad the other day, counting points. It was alot of food, i could not imagine putting anymore on the plate. Same with my dinner last night. I had orange roughy and a recipe from Aimee( fiesta corn)...would i have went back for seconds. Now if i wasnt on OP, i would have.full or not full.

I do have a question on CORE. So i can eat anything that is NOT Core as long as i count it towards the 35 weekly points?Hmmmm, question to self. * Do you really want to use those 35 points every week when you barely use them on Flex and you been fine for 16 weeks?*

It is always nice to have options in life, especially options that help You. A few weeks ago i thought my biggest drawback would be portion control with the thoughts of CORE,but since being on FLEX this whole time, i know what my comfort levels is, IF i eat foods with low energy density.Which alot of CORE foods are. I can stop with the watermelon, but now sweets are another story. I guess for this reason. CORE elimates sweets( except for the 35 points)...

Again, its always nice to have an option. Maybe i should count my sweets and breads to see the points i do use on them in a week. As i said before.maybe i am doing Core and dont know it. I stay within my points each week on FLEX, i dont use my 35 or my AP points. So after you realize your hunger signals and know how to satisfy them and when to say, no more food, what is really the difference between Core & Flex?........Just thinking outloud on that last question.

When i was just doing core, I wrote everything down that I ate, and the points came out to 23 to 25 per day, that was not using any of the 35 points that we're allowed.

I did miss my carbs, sure I could have had them but I just chose not to.

This week I went back to Flex........

JeanCat,
I'd love to see a copy of the chart you made if you don't mind. :)

PS, I really don't use any of my flex points while on Core. Don't really need them since I'm not eating bread or sweets. LOL! So far so good. :)

Thanks!

Hi Sue;
Would you mind emailing me the list for Core? Everyone's post on Core are so positive I might have to give it a try! Thanks!

On its way, Becky!

I started back on Core this morning. So far, so good! I had planned to use some of my weekly points for salad dressing, but it had gone bad! So I had to use my fat free ranch. (Yuck, but didn't have to count points for it!)

Sue