Welcome to
Aimee's Adventures
Message Board!!!

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
I need advice!

The week of July 16, I am chaperoning a youth mission trip. We are going to be doing a lot of work for the elderly in a small community. My problem is how to stay OP during this week. All food is brought in by area churches and such and there is no way that I can find out in advance what is being served. How would you guys handle this situation? I don't want to gain any weight. HELP!

Re: I need advice!

Okay, Jill,

You need to think this through and have a plan before you go. You say that ALL food is being brought in? Hmmm, my experience with church provided foods leads me to think you'll see a lot of fried chicken and potato salad. Potential disaster. But ALL meals ... that means breakfast, lunch and dinner. So, I'm sure that they will do a bit better for all of you, and provide more than just MY personal nightmare, KFC, LOL.

If it is possible, I'd add to my suitcase a few items you can eat if the provided food is impossibly rich, fatty or starchy. Fruit, protein bars, whole grain crackers, etc. That gives you someplace to turn in an emergency.

I would be very clear in my mind what constitutes a 'portion' size..... what nutritional components you usually consume on a daily basis when you plan your own meals,(fruits, veggies, protein..... and all that good stuff). Then, out of the food offered, try to piece together your meals, with mental emphasis on portion control. You know, don't pile your plate, and no seconds. Eat small amounts, and then let your brain have enough time to get the message.

This could be a valuable learning time for you, an opportunity, not a disaster. A challenge that you CAN adapt to and come out of smelling like a rose. Don't go thinking you will screw up your diet and your progress though. Just keep your goals for yourself in mind, and focus on the real reason you are going to this week long event, not on the food.

I'm sure others here might have more concrete advice for you Jill, but this can actually be a WONDERFUL week for you.

pattyjo

Bring some containers of yogart with you and stock up their fridge, also bring some healthy cereal such as a box of fiber one.

Patty Jo had some good suggestions, stock your own food, and what foods are there, choose accordingly to what you can have.

I've been on 4 cruises, chose the right things, came off the ship and lost weight.

One other tip, get in some exercise, walking or jogging, take some time for you and your program..

You'll be fine, and you can come home with a loss.

Have fun!!!!

My rule of thumb last year when I was losing weight and would be faced with that type of situation would be to eat a 1/2 cup of anything I wanted but STOP there. And I never gained either.

I like what the other gals said- bring another suitcase if you can of things YOU can eat.

Have fun!

Thanks so much for your help. I know that the week will be a challenge, but the good thing is that it is a Know Sweat mission trip, which means there is a lot of hard labor involved. So hopefully, I will earn lots of AP. I am going to just watch my portions and not go back for seconds and skip on any desserts. I can't take food that has to be kept cold with me because I won't have access to a fridge. But I will take healthy snacks that don't have to be kept cold. I am also going to take my journal and write down everything I put in my mouth. That alone should encourage me from overeating. Somehow when we actually see what we are putting in our mouths, it becomes a reality check! Have a great OP day today.

I'd be taking Kashi Go Lean Protein Bars. They are big, 5 pts and very filling. I especially like the Choc. Almond Crunch and P B ones. WalMart sells them in the pharmacy section of diet foods. They make a great lunch for me. At Wal Mart they are 96 cents each. Kashi also makes another bar but I have not tried that one. It is smaller.

Ann