Welcome to
Aimee's Adventures
Message Board!!!

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Should I be bothered..

I started WW in feburary because my girlfriend wanted a diet buddy and at first I wasent that bothered about changing my lifestyle as I thought it was going to be too hard. After my weigh in at 193 I realised I was alot worst than I cared to admit and decided yes I wanted to realy do this. Also the points way seemed much better that the exchange way and you could eat everything.
I am now down more than 36 1bs and my girlfriend is on off the diet and lost 20. I think its good she lost 20 1bs and am very thankful I lost more and hope she does.
We are going away together for 2 days this week to a hotel a few miles from our house to stay on the beach and I said are you Op over the vacation.. she said I havent decided.. I'm not obsessed like you.. I'm shocked to hear that. Are we obsessed or just doing the right thing?
I no I have will power more than her as she cant stop smoking 30 cigs a day and she has small kids that need a mom.
I told my dh I want to go to resturants with her as she'll try to sabatoge my thoughts or at least mess with me. I want to still lose this week.
I know what to do but what would you do or say ?

Re: Should I be bothered..

Whoa, well, Lorraine its better than being obsessed with FOOD. Perhaps it is a little bit of jealousy coming out with her. So if she is off Op then you have to assume she knows portion control and good and bad food choices? I think her answer to You about being obsessed was her way of saying. I AM GOING TO EAT and not care. I could gain 5 pounds easy in 2 days, but not being obsessed. It would take me 3 weeks to take that same 5 pounds off. Just go and have fun,stay OP and remember You are in control.

Obsessed* each time i think of that word i think of possessed which in turn makes me think of The Exorcist, then i think of pea soup. Soooooooooo Lorraine just keep thinking of green pea soup and that head turning around and just giggle.

Lorraine, don't get consumed on what your friend is going to do or not do.
Keep the focus on yourself.

You can go away anyplace in the world and stick to the program, its very doable..

When you come back and have had a successful two days with food, your going to be so pleased with yourself.

go and have fun, thats what its about, not food.

Ah yes, I think we've all heard something along those lines before. Try to take heart in the fact that her comment about you being "obsessed" is more about self-preservation than anything else. If you're both following the same diet, then your friend is left to feel one of 2 ways: either SHE hasn't worked hard enough or YOU are going above and beyond. Naturally, I think it's easier to place the blame on others rather than ourselves. So instead of taking a looking inwards to see why she hasn't been more successful, she reasons that you are "obsessed."

As for whether or not you really are "obsessed", I can see why her comment rattled you. In a way, we all are a bit "obsessed" but only because it takes concentrated effort to make a real change. Think about it, we achieve our career goals through solid, specific plans. Why would weight-loss be any different?

Long answer, but just keep doing what you're doing and have a great weekend

Lorraine,
Go, have fun, and just try and keep your focus (I honestly don't think we're obsessed, we're just really focused, which is what we need to be in order to do this). Set an example for her. Like others said, it really does sound like jealousy to me. She's probably tired of trying and looking for someone to be off program with her (you know how misery loves company). Be a leader, not a follower in this situation. When she makes little comments, just say "I appreciate your concern, but honestly all of that greasy food just goes right through me these days since I'm not use to eating it anymore. It's too much of a shock to my system and I'd rather spend my vacation sitting on the beach and not the toilette". LOL! That ought to leave her speechless. :)

Here are some options:

Go to a restaurant that has some weight friendly items for you and some "gut-buster fun vacation foods" for her. I am not sure where you are going but if there is an Applebee's that would fit the bill.

Pack you beach bags with many 100 cal snacks, fruit,etc. I went to the shore last week and was hard pressed to find anything semi-healthy on the board walks in NJ. My hotel room had a fridge and microwave so I went to the grocery store.

I know if my friend tried to sabatoge me I would firmly state that I am still following the program. If she is worried about not having a buddy for adult beverages there are lighter options that you can try (diet coke with Rum or Jack Daniels, a light beer, etc.)

I agree with all the above. Shain wrote similar to what I had planned on writing:
Go to the restaraunts that you feel you can stay OP.
Plan the best way you can by eating volumne foods. Lots of veggies to accompany that chicken or beef or fish along with potato. Maybe pack some FF dressing and bring some very small plastic containers with you. Keep the dressing on ice in the room, and pour out some into a plastic container place in your purse for the day. Where ever you go you have saved just some points!

Enjoy the main focus of the meal.
If you are only going for two days, you have your 35 pts to use.
Come home and go easy on the points for a few days till weigh in day.

We have all had the sabotage friend,husband, or parent. Some comes from the person who finds it difficult to do the very same thing that we are doing. Or perhaps a different vice.

It is only when I announce that I am on WW again (many times before) that my husband brings home chocolate candy my biggest downfall. This time around I can pick up the package and place it in the cupboard without eating a piece. That is progress.

So what ever does happen during this vacation-get-away, it is progress and something you will learn from.

And remember we are all here to help when you get back!
Help celebrate staying OP or to help you get back on track!
JeanCat

If you're asking should you be bothered, I think that means you are! My neighbor and I of 40 years started WW together also. We can all come up with a lot of excuses with regard to overeating. Everytime she had an excuse, I tried to encourage her....but this last time, I lost it! She said she had chicken to cook for supper, but her husband said he wanted cheese steaks, so she said, "To avoid an argument, I ordered cheese steaks for supper."
I said, "Do you know how lame and stupid that sounds?"
We know each other well enough, that she didn't take offense and just laughed! Anyway, I've lost 53'2 and she's lost less than 20. Went out to lunch yesterday, I ordered a sandwich on panni bread, mushrooms, zoo-key-nee (can't spell it) with goat cheese. It was wonderful, I only ate half, had a couple of fries and asked the girl for a doggie bag. She had a fried crab cake, french fries, cole slaw and cleaned her plate. We had a wonderful day, I was happy with my choice. We enjoyed each others company and FOOD was never mentioned!! I CONTROL THE FOOD, THE FOOD DOESN'T CONTROL ME!!!!!!!!!!

Awesome Vonnie! You do sound like someone who has control over what you eat. I personally couldn't have ordered the fries because I probably would have eaten them. LOL! :)