Welcome to
Aimee's Adventures
Message Board!!!

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
OT- artificial nails?

I have wanted to have my nails done forever. I read about gel nails and acrylic nails and don't have a clue which is better or even the difference. Can anyone advise me? I know either is a committment for maintenance too. Help!!

Uki

Re: OT- artificial nails?

Uki..

I get the french white tips...for me, it works better. I type alot while I'm at work & I work on the computer alot. So the typing doesn't wear off the color if I had nail polish on the nails...so the white tips just makes it look like I have a french manicure at all times.

I've had the regular acrylic nails before..and like I said, the color always wore off on the edge of them from all the typing. But other than that, I have no complaints about them.

I've never had gel ones though.

The fillings for the white tips are pricey though..but I like them better

hope that helps

Thanks Linda!!

I didn't even know that the nail tips were an option. Boy am I glad I asked. I will look into the tips too. What I wanted was for the french manicure look, so the tips might be good option.

Uki

Uki..
I had acrylic nails and absolutely loved them! I have never tried the gel ones though. But I haven't heard anything bad about them. My nail tech moved to Florida and I had them taken off because we were moving, etc. I would definelty recommend them. Your hands & jewelery look so nice when your nails are done. An hour every two weeks or so for just YOU was nice too!

Hi Uki, I love the acrylics that I've had for many years. Never a problem, and I love the way they make me feel. I have a blast with all the fun colors and usually have extensive art work and all kinds of fun designs, sometimes holiday related, or things that would spark the expressive language interest of the elementary age kids that I work with. I too do not any direct experience with the gels, but I used to be a severe nail biter, and having acrylics was such a wonderful experience that I've never looked back. Acrylics are strong, and the polish lasts well for me...I do use extra coats of clear polish a few times in between appts., which for me are generally every 3 weeks or so. Best of luck, Maajida

I am a licensed cosmetologist. Both acrylic and gel are nice, if done properly. Depending on the manicurist, that is the main difference. Some people do have a reaction to the acrylic and not the gel. They both seem to last about the same-- you will need to get them filled the same. If you are going to not wear polish then some people go with the gel. looks more natural. again there are really good manicurists that will make either look very natural. Go to a good manicurist and you should have good luck!

I used to love to get my nails done, if I had the money I'd probably get it done again. However, I have this gross wart on one of my fingers that will NOT go away and I am so self conscious about it, the last thing I want is a nail tech looking at it.

I have the gel nails. I'll second the fact that the type of nails is not as important as a good tech. Make sure the place is CLEAN and the products/tools are cleaned between people. If you get a bad feeling when you enter a salon, WALK. Have you heard of nail fungus? It can happen in a dirty place. I have gel nails and don't know if I could live without them lol. I get them done every two weeks and they never get to that grown out stage. Good luck with the nails and enjoy them. Oh, one more thing, start with them a bit short and increase length as you get used to them or you'll have a bit of a learning curve!

I've been having my nails done now for many many years, my real nails are long and to protect them from breaking because they're so hard, I have acrylics put on, every two weeks.

Never had a problem with fungus, the salon I go to
is new and state of the art materials..

I like the way the gels look, but everybody has them, me I like to be different so I go with color
In the summer I use hot bright colors and in the winter I go with hot reds or dark purples, depending on my mood...

its worth the 45 to 1 hr sit, the results make you feel good...

When I meet someone new, the first thing my eyes go to are their hands.. to me its very important to have a manicured hand.

Best to make sure the salon has sterile equipment for each person == then no fungus... get spread around.