Welcome to
Aimee's Adventures
Message Board!!!

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Movie Popcorn NO BUTTER ADDED

ok this is ALWAYS one of those things. We went and saw Ratatouville today and I had the popcorn (I usually take pretzels but wanted popcorn today since I did not dip into flex yesterday!). What is the general concensus as to APROX pts per cup?

This question seems to go round and round. :)

And the movie was cute, but COULD wait for dvd if no small kids, JMO...

TIA!

Re: Movie Popcorn NO BUTTER ADDED

Ok, here is what i found from 2 sources. Hungry-girl and calorie king:

Calorie King
Popcorn: Movie Theater Popcorn, plain, small
Average All Brands
Serving Size: x
This is a small size, that is 7 cups.
Nutrition Facts
Calories 400
(Kilojoules 1672)
% DV**
Total Fat 27 g 42%
Sat. Fat - 0%
Cholesterol - 0%
Sodium - 0%
Total Carbs. 30 g 10%
Dietary Fiber 8.5 g 34%
Sugars -
Protein 9 g

Hungry Girl:

Eating at the movies can be a calorie catastrophe. There simply aren't very many good choices there. I always tell people that, as dorky as it seems, you should always sneak your own snacks into the theater. I'm not saying you should nuke your own popcorn and smuggle it in with you though. It could be as easy as throwing a lollipop or two in your purse, or even a pack of sugar free Mentos. But if you get to the theater and have to choose from what's there, you could be in for trouble. Now, on to your question. Soft pretzels usually have between 200-400 calories or so, depending on the size. And, unless they are drenched in butter (like some mall pretzel chains do) they are fairly low in fat. Two ounces of that nacho cheese dipping sauce (aside from being made of who knows what), likely has between 80-120 calories and about 5 - 8 grams of fat. So your movie pretzel snack likely has between 300 - 500 calories and about 6-10 grams of fat. Not great, but it's definitely better than scarfing down that movie popcorn. I say, hands down, movie popcorn is the world's SCARIEST food. It seems so innocent, yet even the smallest container, WITHOUT BUTTER, has about 600 calories and 27g of fat! It's INSANE! On the high end, a large size movie popcorn WITH butter packs in about 1500 calories and 116g of fat. And no, that's not a typo, people. 116 grams of fat! So, whatever you do, don't indulge in that stuff. It's just not worth it. HG Tip! If you're not watching sugar grams, grab a box of Sour Patch Kids and eat only your two favorite flavors. Give the others (like the icky lemon and lime ones) to pals or friendly strangers.

I had popcorn last week at the movies, but had a few hands fulls and didnt want anymore. It was ewwwww.

I've had movie popcorn before when I had a lot of flex points (I never did like the butter, it's not even real butter anyway, it's oil). 1 cup like it comes with nothing added is 1 point. Since I can't take my measuring cups in with me, I count 1 handful as a cup and eat it 1 piece at a time. LOL! I usually just sneak some fruities in with me though. Now when we go to a drive in movie, I always pop my own light microwave popcorn and take it along with some diet soda.

We went and saw the new Transformers movie yesterday. I really liked it. Rick and I just split a large diet coke while we were there. I didn't miss the popcorn though I was getting hungry when the movie let out. :)

I thought the preview for Ratatouille looked cute, but I'll probably wait for it on DVD. Next movie up for me to see is Harry Potter on the 13th. :)

Thank you both for the info. I really need to dig into that Hungry Girl site.

I think I will just say all my flex are gone for the week LOL!