Aimee's Adventures
Message Board!!!

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Benefiber (sp?)

I sometimes use Benefiber..I just had 25 calorie hot choc. and put 1 level tsp. of the benefiber in it. I started with a 1 pt. hot choc. and I add 1 pt. for the beneifiber. My jar says it is 25 calories for a heaping tsp. (I use level one) and it is 5 gm. fiber.I have used it since it came out at least 2 years ago but I don't use it everyday since I always up the point 1.

Well if Benefiber is 25 calories and has 5 grams of fiber then it would total zero pts. Now, if you add it to something then you'd have to add the calories to the total count along with the fiber to see if would do anything.
If you look on most if not all of the WW products that are out there now you will find inulin listed as one of the ingredients. This is a natural fiber that is taken from Chicory root. In fact, there are tons of products out there that have this in it. Think about it, how else could they get fiber into yogurt? Fiber does not occur naturally in dairy products so they have to add it.
I would just be careful in adding too much fiber to too many things in a day. Too much of a good thing is not always a good thing. This is apparently why there is the fiber cap of 4 on our sliders because years ago people were adding fiber and using negative points, in otherwords gaining points by eating fiber! Also check on the total calorie count and fiber count to see if it is worth it.
Also, you may want to check your local markets on all fiber supplements because some have less calories than others. Trader Jo's has inulin and it is lower in calories than any of the others that I have seen out there plus it is just like benefiber in that you can put it in anything and never taste it.

Tammy,

We were thinking about the taste. And then we cracked up about sprinkling some on a Fiber One Bar....

I guess she was thinking that she could add this stuff to some of her juices or meals she prepares and by doing so it would lower the point count of the item maybe by one. Since I've never bought the stuff I didn't know exactly how many calories a tsp. would have and so forth.

Personally, I get plenty of fiber --don't need anymore!!