Welcome to
Aimee's Adventures
Message Board!!!

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Spaghetti Squash Question

I just cooked a spaghetti squash--was my first time doing this. I'm estimating that it was about 5 lbs. I cooked it 10 min. and then gave it another 2 min. b/c I just wasn't sure how long to cook it. Anyway, I've never ate this stuff, so I'm wondering how you all like to eat it. I poured some spaghetti sauce over it and ate it that way. Is it supposed to have a slight "crunch". I'm not sure what the texture is supposed to be like. Can someone help explain??

Re: Spaghetti Squash Question

I mirowave mine to make it soft then fork the stringy sutuff out into a baking dish..
yes I use spagetti sauce and also lite mozz cheese and bake it till the cheese melts.

there also a mexican way to do it also.
a jar of salsa and lite cheddar cheese, bake it..
till the chesse melts..

I happen to like the italian way better..

yes the texture is crunchy, so you did it right Carrie

Tobe, thanks for responding so quickly. I'm glad I did it right, b/c I paid a lot for it. I was at Walmart and it was like $1.79/lb.---never bought it so, you know, didn't know what was considered high or not high. Went over to Kroger to get a turkey breast on sale and went over to their produce section and they had the squash for about 74 cents/lb. I got took at Walmart!! So, I'm glad I cooked it right.

http://greenlitebites.com/2008/02/01/simple-spaghetti-squash/
Check it out it shows how to cook it.
1 1bs 6 minutes.

I usually pay 69 cents a lb in shop rite..

.79 is about the going price, Walmart ripped you off.

so now you know.... I hope you enjoyed it.. to be honest thats not one of my favorite things, not for a steady diet anyway..

Oooooooo, I love spaghetti squash too. My favorite way is to spray it with ICNINB spray and sprinkle with parmesan cheese. I also have made a sort of casserole with it with squash, FF ricotta cheese, spaghetti sauce and FF mozzarella.

Uki

I love it also. The one i buy has the directions on the label on as how to cook it, how many minutes per pound.That is a huge squash and not sure if 10 minutes is adequate for cooking it,but i guess if you liked it, it worked for you.

Here is one way i make it, the recipe is from Jamie's Kitchen;

Ingredients:

* 2 small spaghetti squash (1.5 lbs each) -- This will yield 4 halves (4 servings)
* 4 oz reduced-fat shredded mozzarella or 4-cheese italian-style cheese (1 cup)
* 3 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped (1.5 cups)
* 5 scallions (green onions), sliced (1/2 cup)
* 1/4 cup snipped fresh parsley or basil
* 1 Tb olive oil
* 2 cloves garlic, minced
* 1/2 cup pine nuts or coursely chopped walnuts, toasted (optional) *

* Nuts increase points by 3 per serving.

Directions:

***** whole squash with a sharp knife. Place squash in a microwave-safe baking dish. Microwave-cook, uncovered, on 100% power (high) for 15-20 minutes or til tender. Let stand 5 minutes. Halve squash lengthwise and remove seeds.

(Alternatively, you can halve the squash first, remove the seeds, ***** skin all over, and place halves, cut-side-down in a 3-quart baking dish and bake in a 350 degree oven for 60-70 minutes or til tender. This takes 3x as long as microwaving though, so I'm not sure why anybody would do it this way.)

Meanwhile, while squash is baking, in a bowl, combine tomatoes, green onions, nuts, basil or parsley, oil, and garlic.

After squash is done baking, using a fork, separate the squash pulp into strands, leaving strands in shell. Sprinkle 1/4 cup of the mozzarella cheese into each shell and toss lightly. Then using the bottom of the fork, press cheese/squash mixture up the sides of the shell.

Spoon 1/4 of the tomato mixture into each shell. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Return to baking dish. Return to oven and bake, uncovered, about 20 minutes or til filling is heated through.

Yields: 4 servings

Nutritional Info: (per serving, without nuts): 201.5, 10.4 g. fat, 1.65 g. fiber (4.5 points per serving)

With the nuts: (per serving): 301.5 calories, 20.4 g. fat, 1.65g. fiber (7.5 points per serving)

the word p r i c k, has gotten filtered, that is why the *****..