Welcome to
Aimee's Adventures
Message Board!!!

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
artichoke hearts

I was at TJ's the other day and found a frozen pkg of artichoke hearts..

I played around today

i put some olive oil in a small pan, cut up fresh garlic, put in the artichokes, with some garlic powder, basil, oregano and a dash of salt..

goodness they were good, very low in points, like practically none... I had it with a TJ vegetable lasagne I closed my eyes and thought I was in Italy

LOL....................

Re: artichoke hearts

what do artichokes taste like?

can't describe the taste, they're unique and everyone
I know loves them..

give them a shot, very healthy... just the hearts or the whole one...
the whole one I cut the stem and the top off.
open the artichoke rinse it, and then stuff
garlic in between the leaves, and sprinke a little olive oil in the center, salt and pepper it.

steam it in a steamer till the leaves are easy to peel off..
each leaf has a tip that you pull with your teeth, when you come to the heart (the best part) theres fuzz. scrape that away and have fun with the heart.

THis is artichoke season now...

I think I will pick some up next time I am at SWM and try them. You are making them sound soooo good

I love them,though i will admit i never seen them frozen. I buy them in cans or jars.

I was also surprised to see them frozen, but trader Joes had them..
I always keep a can or two around, but packed in water not marinated in oil..

I'll get more the next time I hit TJ's which I think will be tues after WW...

My treat there is pannera bread for lunch... and then starbucks later on... its a 45 mile drive to get to that shopping area..
nothing like that here, just tons of beach stores.

I was also surprised to see them frozen, but trader Joes had them..
I always keep a can or two around, but packed in water not marinated in oil..

I'll get more the next time I hit TJ's which I think will be tues after WW...

My treat there is pannera bread for lunch... and then starbucks later on... its a 45 mile drive to get to that shopping area..
nothing like that here, just tons of beach stores.

They are great with chicken breast and a little lemon juice or white wine if you have any left over in the house and mushrooms - add some capers and it makes it a really nice dinner, better than a restaurant! Good with a plain tasting fish like flounder or sole or tilapia too - I think it is called picatta made that way - google it and you can find some nice points friendly recipes.

The frozen are good thawed and used this way or buy the canned in water - watch for the ones in oil - or adjust points accordingly.

Tobe - sounds yummy I will have to try by themselves as a side dish - always looking for new interesting veggies to fill up on - Thanks!

And you are probably right about it being the season (I guess Spring is coming soon Yippee!) saw them in the grocery store but they were $3.00 each Yikes.

Marilyn