Welcome to
Aimee's Adventures
Message Board!!!

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
I can relate

Chels, Maaj and Lisa, I can so relate to what you've all been going through. I have just now gotten back on track this last week. I've gone through previous weeks of just eating everything and not caring, but feeling so awful when I'm done. I had missed three weigh ins in a row, finally went and had gained 6 lbs. My body feels so much better when I stay OP, even the pains in my joints feel better. It sounds kind of strange but it's true. So, why do we do it, when we feel so awful after we're done? For me, instant gratification, comfort, tastes good, I won't feel deprived, etc... It's all a mind game that we play with ourselves. Sometimes I think I need to talk to a psychologist to figure myself out. Anyways, hang in there and lets all do better this week.
Laura

Re: I can relate

Kudos to you Laura for getting back on track. That is great thinking!!! I think it is so normal and easy to slip back into letting food comfort us when things are not going well. But you are right, that the instant gratification is so not worth the long term.

For me, I have found that I CANNOT think of this as a diet. I CANNOT deprive myself of things I love to eat. If I do that, it will ALWAYS lead to overeating on the foods I haven't allowed myself to eat. i know that some folks on the board will say that in order to lose those stubborn pounds, etc. the best way is to cut out treats, snacky foods, etc. That works well for some people, but it does NOT work for me. When I adopt that mentality (that I am not ALLOWED to have something), the little child in me cries out that I want that food and I get mad. I get mad that I can't have it, which makes me want it more. So for me, the secret was to learn how to incorporate small amounts of those foods or substitutions for them into my daily meal plan.

That being said, I can tell you that I eat a treat EVERYDAY!!! I always have one built into my meal plan. I look forward to it. It keeps me OP, because when I see something I would like, I can remind myself that I don't need to have that cookie, because tonight after dinner, I get to have my WW ice cream. This works for me. I realize it won't work for everyone, but I am 14.5 pounds below goal, so I can definitely say this is doable for me.

So, Laura, find whatever works for you. Eat treats if it helps. Avoid them, if that works better for you, but find out what that balance is for you. God will give you the answer. He loves you and knows what is best for you.

Hugs,
Uki

That's so true Uki, balance is the key and getting your mind set that it's not a diet, it's a way of life. It also works for me to have my treats incorporated in my day. I truly believe God helps me daily, I would be nothing without Him.

Laura

this dialogue is so comforting and it really helps to know that there are people who understand. Being newly in recovery from a bad relapse last weekend, I can sure relate to the issue of balance in our food selections and how important it is to figure treats into our plan so we don't end up feeling too deprived and having our efforts backfire. Thanks for this valuable discussion and have a great day you guys, Love, Maaj