Welcome to
Aimee's Adventures
Message Board!!!

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Still truckin' on the WW highway and a new to me find...

Good evening everyone! Sorry I haven't posted in a few weeks. I just wanted you all to know that I was here and that I am still OP. I recently started spinning classes and I am still doing those, in fact I go for one tomorrow morning. I am actually learning to enjoy them. I'm not going to lie though, I enjoy them most when they are over! LOL
Anyway, I wanted to let you know about Barley. I recently started cooking with it and it is fantastic! I absolutely love it. I have used it in place of rice for several things and tonight I made up a recipe for chicken soup and instead of using noodles I used Barley. My whole family loves it. It's great because it is lower in points, plus it's a whole grain! If you haven't tried it yet give it a try! Just watch for what kind you buy. If you are in a hurry when you cook then you'll want to get the quick cooking stuff. So far I've only found the slow cooking which takes about 45 minutes to cook. It is 2 pts for one serving which is 1/4 c dry or 1 cup after its cooked. Very tasty and great texture too!
My soup that I made was kind of like an Italian wedding soup except I used barley instead of noodles and I used boneless skinless chicken thighs cut into chunks instead of meatballs and I also added carrots to it. VERY good!

Re: Still truckin' on the WW highway and a new to me find...

I was thinking of you today, wondering where you were! Barley sounds like a good idea. I have NEVER tried using it in anything, but will give it a try. Thanks for the suggestion.

Diane S

Glad to see your post, Tammy! we missed you. Thanks for the heads up on the barley as well. :)

Welcome back Tammy. I just saw quick cooking barley for the first time yesterday. It was in the health food section of my supermarket. I've only used the long cooking time. Have you tried cooking it in a rice cooker? I make almost all my grains in mine now. It's nice not having it boil over on the stove. Your soup sounds good.

Pat

No, I haven't tried cooking this in the rice cooker but I did think of it. I just wasn't sure how it would do since it requires so long to cook. I have only been able to find the slow cooking kind so far. I can't remember if I posted it or not but I also made chili and mixed some barely into it. Absolutely delish! I do not like the cold weather, however it is good for experimenting in making soups and soups are a great way for me to get more bang not only for my dollars at the store but also for my points!