Message Board!!!

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Wanting to Chop Down the Whole Dang Forest at Once

Michelle,

The word "diet" has "die" in it..and that's what I felt like when I referred to WW as a diet in the beginning. Just think of it as a lifestyle change rather than a diet or you'll start to feel like you are "dying" w/o certain things. That's the beauty of WW, nothing is off limits as long as you "count" it in to your daily plan.

Carrie

Hi there! :)

I agree about diet having "die" in it. Dieting is the pits. It is miserable and is all about deprivation. I am the one that always looked at WW as an all or none thing. Actually, that was how I looked at eating in general. I either ate "perfectly" or I ate HORRIBLY. There was nothing in between. Well, I had to learn that that is not real life. Real life is learning how to eat for the long run. It meant conquering holidays, eating out, little bites here and there and learning how to balance it all out. Food isn't good or bad - there are no BAD foods. When we start thinking that way, it makes us feel deprived when we don't get those good foods, and guilty when we do. How's that for putting ourselves between a rock and a hard place???? It is a no win situation. I had to learn how to eat like a normal person. For me, that meant looking at portion sizes, beginning to trust my body as to the food I wanted to eat and in what amounts, learning to balance treats with healthy foods and giving myself permission to eat what I wanted in normal amounts. I learned to balance a higher point meal with a lower one or to balance it with activity points. I watched other people without weight issues, eat. They might eat a lot some days and less others. They might eat a big Thanksgiving meal and then nothing for dinner that night, not because they were punishing themselves, but because they weren't hungry. Makes sense to me. I eat like that now, but it took several years to get there. I am still learning, but it gets easier. take it one tree at a time. Soon you will have a clear spot...

hugs,
Uki

Michelle,

I completly understand where you are coming from. Last year we went on vacation with some amazingly fit buff friends and I had let myself slide big time.
I had very little time to get into those tiny swimsuits I really wanted to wear. How I wished everything would happen instantly.

I did get into kick but shape within about 3 months, so I had to take it on a day by day approach and it was the best thing once I saw it as a "one day at a time thing"!

Best wishes and we're all here with you!! I LOVE WW and what it's done for me in the past. Today's my first day back on WW. :)

I am responding late, but just wanted to offer my support and say that as another person who's also been struggling to cut down all those trees at once, I totally understand the posting that started this dialogue here. Even though I didn't post it, I feel lucky to have read all the responses and to be able to benefit hopefully from their wise perspective. maajida