Welcome to
Aimee's Adventures
Message Board!!!

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Parenting advice needed over here...

Hi Uki;
I agree with you completely about the lying but do you think Wes lied because he is afraid the boy may do something else to him?

Hi Becky,

We asked Wes about it last night and Joe has been a friend of his since they were about 4 years old. They aren't best buddies, but they are friends. Joe has never hurt Wes before. Joe is also one of the more popular kids and we suspect Wes was trying to kind of fit in a little more with that crowd. Wes is more like one of those middle-group kids as far as popularity goes - he is not an athlete or a brain, but he is in the band and was elected to student council, etc. I also know he likes a girl right now and may have not wanted to cause a scene at school for fear of embarrassing himself in front of her.

Despite all that, it still doesn't seem to explain why he wouldn't tell us the truth. I can understand covering for Joe at school, but I don't understand the lying at home. Sigh. :(

Hi Uki, sorry to hear of the trouble. We went through them with one of our boys. I agree with Tobe on the length of time for the grounding. A month is a long time. I had always told my sons that if they lie to me I won't be able to trust them for a long time. When it did happen the trust was gone. It will come back with time. Knowing that Joe is a very good friend of Wes and for so long I would not tell the school and get him expelled. Let his parents punish him. You and your hubby should decide on what to take away, it should be something that would make an impact so he will feel the punishment. Also, pray, pray, pray, that's what got us through the teenage years. Just a thought, maybe Joe is a cutter (on himself) and he was doing it to your son for kicks. I could be way wrong and don't have any experience with cutters, but I just thought of that. I'm praying for you.

Laura

Uki, check your email.

Laura