Welcome to
Aimee's Adventures
Message Board!!!

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
YOYO 51 years old looking for advice

Thanks for your website. I am a yoyo. I am especially worried because I am just finishing menopause and I do not need to gain more weight. I am an emotional eater. I am constantly looking for food to give me comfort. I live 600 miles away from my relatives. I am single.I used to work a lot of overtime until the economy tanked. I have trouble admiting my food addiction. A coworker was talking about how she bought a loaf of bread at Walmart and picked the loaf and ate the entire loaf. Her problem reminded me of my problem.I would eat three pizzas or two loafs of bread. I am 30 lbs overweight. I work a physcial job and I have trouble keeping up with the 10-15 yr old younger males. I do not want to eat in secret. I would loke to be accountable to someone. Please help me with what has worked for you.

Re: YOYO 51 years old looking for advice

KJ, Weight Watchers is the program that has worked for me. I attend meetings regularly, although I have been at goalweight for over a year. That is one thing that helps me be accountable. Also, I journal everything I eat, and keep myself on track. That smaller size in the closet looks too good to have to be replaced by something larger - AGAIN!:)

Good luck, and post again.

Nellie

KJ- I echo what Nellie said. I'm also a Weight Watcher's success story. My weight has been up and down forever. I also was/sometimes still am, a sneak eater. The accountability of going to weekly meetings has made this journey easier. Right now I'm on vacation for 2 weeks and I find myself saying "oh well, I don't have to weigh in on Thursday". It is really hard but oh so worth it to get your weight and life under control.
Please feel free to join us. It may be helpful to use the board as a place to journal. Remember "If you bite it, write it". Don't feel that we will judge you if you eat something that you hadn't planned. Planning your meals is also something that makes a difference.

Pat

I am also a fiftysomething yoyo! Several years ago I lost 70 pounds on Weight Watchers. I was about 15 pounds from my goal weight. I loved being able to wear size 12's and lapped up all the compliments. I even went to the funeral of a cousin I barely knew, just so all my relatives who had made nasty remarks about my weight could see how skinny I'd gotten. Wasn't that awful?

Then I stopped going to meetings to save money. Many things happened in my life after that; I changed jobs and no longer had a free gym membership so I stopped exercising. My daughter left for college, my mother died, and my father had a stroke all within 18 months. I was under such stress; it seemed that everyone wanted a little piece of me and the more I tried to stretch myself, the more dissatisfied everyone was. I took care of everyone but myself. Slowly, the weight started to creep back on. I re-started WW so many times I lost count. I also tried South Beach, lost 10 pounds in 2 weeks on that but I felt sick and weak so I stopped.

I would never have believed it, but in the last 2 years I've put back on almost all the weight I lost. None of my clothes fit and I wear the same 3 outfits. My knees are killing me, so exercising by walking is out of the question. I finally decided, 2 days ago, to re-start WW at home. I have all the program materials; I know it's changed again with the Momentum thingy, but WW is still WW. Eat less food and you'll lose weight. I am determined to lose the weight again and I know it will take a year, even if I stay on program. When I weighed myself yesterday morning prior to starting, I burst into tears. I had thought the 200's were long gone. Not!

I too eat for comfort. I love breads, especially hot rolls and butter. Also chocolate. I know what triggers a binge, and I am determined that this time I will not buy any WW muffins, little cakes, ice cream, anything sweet. Once I start I can't stop. I can't have just one piece of anything. I am addicted to food. I learned a lot about that when I attended Overeaters Anonymous for a while.

I would recommend Weight Watchers. It's the least expensive of the plans out there, believe me I've tried most of them. I even dipped into my savings to try Nutri Systems, but it was too expensive to continue. I would recommend you start by attending meetings. After 12 weeks, you'll have all your program materials. The meeting room will have additional booklets and items with the WW logo that you can purchase, as well as WW foods. If you can afford them, fine, but you don't need anything but the 12 weeks' worth of materials. At every meeting, you'll get a booklet, pamphlet, or recipe card.

Good luck!