Welcome to
Aimee's Adventures
Message Board!!!

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Snacks

Hello From Kansas, I have been a lurker for a while and gleaning all the great info so deciced to ask a question of my own. I am in week 3 of weight watchers. I was on this plan in 2005 and did good but like a lot of others have gained back what I had lost. It really has to be a lifetime way of eating. This is such a wonderful website. All the encouragement you give each other is great. I have told a lot of coworkers about this site and we have purchased Aimees cookbooks. Thanks Aimee for all your hard work. I work in food service in the school and 2 of my co workers are also doing weight watchers so the support is helping me thru the week. We are keeping a tally at work of our combined weight loss and so far its 22 pounds!!! My contribution has been 4 pounds I find the weekends are a little harder but I am getting a little better.
My question is about the snacks that have splenda in them. I was wondering if anyone knows if the splenda can effect the weight loss and slow it down. (Sorry if this has been answered before.) I have been excited to see all the yummy snacks but I am not loosing nearly as good as I did the first time. I am 53 and have been heavy all my life. I have 110 pounds to loose.
Hope everyone has a great weekend. I really love the saying "Nothing taste as good as thin feels" So hang in there everyone. Together we can do this!!!

Re: Snacks

Hi Lyla, I lost my weight (50#) using splenda and have maintained almost 4 years using it also. I personally don't feel it slows your weight loss but I'm not really an authority...To me..everything has to do what goes into your mouth and how much you move the body....I also work in food service so I know exactly how hard it is to lose around food all the time...Good luck to you and your co-workers..You are all off to a good start...Keep us posted on how things are going...

Hi, Lyla. It is harder for me too this time than last. I think that it is due to my age(I am 3 years older now.) But, I am at WW goal.
I love Kudo Snickers bars and Chewy Butterfinger bars. I use Splenda in my Steel cut oats. But, I ate the same the 1st time too.

Thanks for the info ladies, I Have been staying within my points and like I said it just seems like such a slow weight loss this time. I know the older we get the harder it seems so thats why I gotto do it this time. I guess I was tryimg to find something to blame it on It is an encouragement to hear of your success!! I had just bought some steel cut oats before I started weight watchers but haven't tried them yet How many points do they have? Also when I got them the sales clerk said she puts hers in the crock pot the night before and they are ready when you get up. So I may try that.
Have a great week

Here is how I make steel cut Oats

1/4 cup steel cut oats
3/4 cup boiling hot water (from the instant hot)
2 teaspoons splenda

Put all the above into a small deep glass mixing type of bowl. (This really boils up the sides, that is why you need a deep bowl.) Microwave for 4 minutes on high and stir.

I always mix in 1/4 cup 1% milk, after it is microwaved, to eat it warm, not hot.
I count 1/4 cup oats with the milk as 3 points.

Nancy

Thanks Nancy I will sure try this. Sounds great!!

Are steel cut oats the same as Quaker Oatmeal? One of my favorite breakfast meals is Old fashioned Quaker Oatmeal and sugar free appplesauce.
1 cup water
1/2 cup oatmeal
after it is cooked I add 1 snack pack of sugar free applesauce. I switch it up with different flavors.

3 points

Thanks for your info!

Steel Cut Oats are a little different. I bought mine in a health food store and I think they are not as processed as the others. Please someone correst me if I am wrong on that one. I heard about them from the Oprah show. She eats them every morning for breakfast. So ya know if Oprah eats them they must be pretty healthy. lol I will sure try the Quaker oats tho that sounds good too. Thanks

Hi everyone,
I am new here and thought I would throw in what I know about Steel Cut Oats.
Old fashiond Oatmeal is made from the Oat berries called Groats.(groats are wonderful! but take a while to cook.) By the time they are rolled onto oatmeal they are way processed!!
Steel cut oats are the groat berries that have been run through steel blades which cuts the berry into three-four pieces. This processes it a bit, and losses some of the fiber, but is still better in fiber than the oatmeal.
You would not believe how processed oatmeal is till you have eaten groats. soooo much fiber!!
It helps if you have a rice steamer and make a good sized batch and then just take out what you want each day and nuke it a bit.
Hope I didn't make this too confusing. I tend to do that sometimes

That was great info, Thanks so much

I bought some steel cut oats today at Trader Joes. Someone emailed me yesterday and told me of a different way that she prepares hers. I'm going to give them a try tomorrow morning. I'll report back on what I thought. :)

lyla - i also love that saying, when our leader quoted it ,i came home and put it on my fridge. when you lose only a little weight,just keep in mind, an ounce lost is not gained. i try to keep thinking about how time flies and if i stay the course ,i will look back a year from now and think , i did it!

i would like to also commend aimme on maintaining this site, even in her difficult times.and for revealing her weight gain, that took courage and will continue to help people like myself who have also been there, done that. thanks!