Welcome to the Chuck Berry - Mr. Rock'n'Roll Forum

Chuck Berry - Mr. Rock'n'Roll
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Chuck in Bonn

Hello everybody!
I visited Chuck´s Concert in Bonn!
It was my first Chuck Berry Concert but I think that it was great. Or at least it would have been great if the lights wouldn´t have tourned off suddenly and the drummer played better.
I think Chuck was great not drunk as said in the guestbook! He managed well with the problems. At the beginning it really sounded bad but when the other drummer played everything fitted together, or did I get something wrong? I was sitting a few seats off the stage....
Has someone else some impessions?
Cya, Stefan

Re: Chuck in Bonn

I think you is on a good way. I havn't been on this tour, but I have read a lot and talked about people very near Chuck. They told me the problem was that the promter didn't use the drummer who played on the first part of the tour. But this promoter was not clear over what kind of drummer Chuck need. So only a short time before the Bonn concert a drummer with no idea about Chuck showed up to do soundcheck. But the problem was clear from start. The other musicans, Chuck, Charles jr and Jim Marsala trying to help, but it wasn' easy. So this show was not as good as a medium Chuck Berry concert, but I'm glad you like to listen to Chuck anyway. Chuck never drink. He don't need alkohol, and he don't like musicans who is drunken. He is very special in this way. He will not be 79 and doing 9 shows on 9 days if he is drunken. You is very right about this. We hope Chuck will do another show in Bonn (with a band who have played together more than one time), but we can't say anything. I know some people in Chuck's band is sad for the show not was really on top. But we can only hope. I also want to see him in Sweden very soon. He was here last time in July 2000 together with Jerry Lee Lewis and Little Richard. Rock'n'Roll is fun and I want to have fun. "Some times I go down, but I'm allways come back rockin'" (Chuck Berry, Back Home, 1970)