Caernarfon Ddoe/Caernarfon's Yesterdays

Croeso i Fforwm Caernarfon Ddoe. Os oes gennych unrhyw gwestiwn am hanes y Dref postiwch yma a fe fyddwn yn hapus i geisio eich ateb. Os da chi yn teimlo fedrwch helpu gyda unrhyw gwestiwn fydd eich cyfraniad yn groesawus dros ben. Atebir y cwestiynnau yn y Saesneg neu yn y Gymraeg ac yn yr iaith y gofynnir y cwestiwn.

Os oes gennych unrhyw gwestiwn hanes teuluol, postiwch nhw yn yr adran penodol a fe fydd Keith yn hapus i geisio eich ateb.

Welcome to the Caernarfon's Yesterdays Forum. If you have a question about any aspect of the town's history please post it here and we will be happy to try and assist. If you feel you can help with any question then please feel free to contribute. Questions will be answered in English or in Welsh and in the language in which the question is asked.

If you have any brief family history questions, please post them in the dedicated area and Keith will try and answer them for you.

Segontium Searchers

If you wish to employ our research service then email enquiries@segontium.com for an informal discussion about your needs.

Hanes Tref Caernarfon/Caernarfon Town History
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Slate Quay

Hello,

I've noticed in a number of photographs of the Slate Quay there is a sizeable white structure to be seen right at the edge of the harbour wall. In one particular photo it can be seen clearly to have been sited near to the spot where the slates were piled ready to be loaded on the ships.

It's a strange looking structure, completely out of character with the Quay, but do you know exactly what it was?

Many thanks,

Hugh

Re: Slate Quay

Thank you for the question and I must add that it was very observant of you to notice this structure or wall which commenced near the Water Gate entrance to the castle and ran the full length of the Slate Quay. It can still be seen in the early photos of the Aber Bridge which was built at the end of the 19th century and officially opened on St. David's Day 1900. Near to where the wall started there used to be a ticket office shaped like the folly on the mound in Coed Helen and this was removed at the request of the Duke of Norfolk, prior to the 1911 Investiture of Prince Edward, Prince of Wales, as he thought it distracted from the castle. I cannot give you an actuial date as to when the wall was demolished, but I recall someone saying that it was around the time of that Investiture, but could have been a little later.1916 was mentioned.

Regards.

T Meirion Hughes

Re: Slate Quay

Hello Meirion,

Thank you very much for your most comprehensive reply, and I must say I enjoyed your account of Buffalo Bill's visit very much.

Hugh.