Caernarfon Ddoe/Caernarfon's Yesterdays

Croeso i Fforwm Caernarfon Ddoe. Os oes gennych unrhyw gwestiwn am hanes y Dref postiwch yma a fe fyddwn yn hapus i geisio eich ateb. Os da chi yn teimlo fedrwch helpu gyda unrhyw gwestiwn fydd eich cyfraniad yn groesawus dros ben. Atebir y cwestiynnau yn y Saesneg neu yn y Gymraeg ac yn yr iaith y gofynnir y cwestiwn.

Os oes gennych unrhyw gwestiwn hanes teuluol, postiwch nhw yn yr adran penodol a fe fydd Keith yn hapus i geisio eich ateb.

Welcome to the Caernarfon's Yesterdays Forum. If you have a question about any aspect of the town's history please post it here and we will be happy to try and assist. If you feel you can help with any question then please feel free to contribute. Questions will be answered in English or in Welsh and in the language in which the question is asked.

If you have any brief family history questions, please post them in the dedicated area and Keith will try and answer them for you.

Segontium Searchers

If you wish to employ our research service then email enquiries@segontium.com for an informal discussion about your needs.

Hanes Tref Caernarfon/Caernarfon Town History
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Glendower Hall

Hello,
My 9th great grandfather was born 1630 in Glendower Hall, Caernarfon, to a Welsh squire. I have not been successful in finding any references as to "Glendower Hall" from books or on the internet. Even Google has no information. Can you give me any idea as to if Glendower Hall existed, or does exist still, or did I get some wrong information from the Virginia State Archives USA. We are going to visit Caernarfon in September and would love to find out all we can about life around 1600's there.
Thanks for your help,
Ron Pugh

Re: Glendower Hall

Hi Ron,

I'm sorry, but the name is unfamiliar to me. I've had a quick look on the net under the Welsh spelling of Glyndwr, but like yourself with no results.

It does occur to me that it might be situated anywhere in Caernarfonshire. It was quite common outside Wales to put the place of origin as "Carnarvon," but with no indication whether it was the town or county/shire.

It is important to bear in mind the distinction between town and shire. The town of Caernarfon is located within the parish of Llanbeblig, which in turn is situated within the shire of Caernarfon (Caernarfonshire), one of 71 parishes in total.

I'd begin your search within the many parishes of Caernarfonshire, before spreading the search further afield, perhaps firstly concentrating on areas known to have a Glyndwr connection.

Regards,

Keith.