Caernarfon Ddoe/Caernarfon's Yesterdays

Croeso i Fforwm Caernarfon Ddoe. Os oes gennych unrhyw gwestiwn am hanes y Dref postiwch yma a fe fyddwn yn hapus i geisio eich ateb. Os da chi yn teimlo fedrwch helpu gyda unrhyw gwestiwn fydd eich cyfraniad yn groesawus dros ben. Atebir y cwestiynnau yn y Saesneg neu yn y Gymraeg ac yn yr iaith y gofynnir y cwestiwn.

Os oes gennych unrhyw gwestiwn hanes teuluol, postiwch nhw yn yr adran penodol a fe fydd Keith yn hapus i geisio eich ateb.

Welcome to the Caernarfon's Yesterdays Forum. If you have a question about any aspect of the town's history please post it here and we will be happy to try and assist. If you feel you can help with any question then please feel free to contribute. Questions will be answered in English or in Welsh and in the language in which the question is asked.

If you have any brief family history questions, please post them in the dedicated area and Keith will try and answer them for you.

Segontium Searchers

If you wish to employ our research service then email enquiries@segontium.com for an informal discussion about your needs.

Hanes Tref Caernarfon/Caernarfon Town History
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Anglesey House/ Compton House

Congratulations on your site. It is good to have someone who has local knowledge who may be able to answer my queries.
My great great grandfather, Evan Hugh Owen, was a draper and auctioneer in Carnarvon from 1840 until his death in 1895. On his marriage in 1843 he was living at Anglesey House, Eastgate Street Carnarvon. I wonder does this building still stand or has it just changed to a number in Eastgate Street?
His drapery business was at Compton House in Bridge Street in 1876/78. Could this be 23 Bridge Street and is it still standing?
It would be interesting to know how these houses got their names.

Re: Anglesey House/ Compton House

Thank you for your kind words and for the query.
Having searched the LIST OF TRADES on Carnarvon Traders a number of interesting points turned up. E.H. Owen can be found on several Street Directories, during which time he operated at different times from both Nos. 18 and 23 Bridge Street and from Nos 3 Eastgate Street and 4 Church Street. The name of the auctioneer at 4 Church Street was W.H. Owen, whom I take to be his son. No 18 Bridge Street was a Multiple Grocer's Shop (E.B.Jones) next to the Nelson Emporium 20 - 26, both businesses burned down in 1948. No 3 Eastgate Street no longer exists and along with No.1 and the Guild Hall was demolished in 1962. Adjacent to where No 3 used to be are steps leading down to Bank Quay.

Another point you may be interested in is that E.H. Owen, in the 1895 Street Directory (printed 1894), lived at BRYN ERYR, 15 North Road and the house is still there.

Finally with regard to your question about the names of houses/shops/pubs, may I say that this was the custom in the Victorian Era i.e. to give names of English and other towns and cities on buildings. We had Liverpool House, Leeds House, Manchester Arms and even a Berlin House.

I hope this will give you sufficient information for you to continue with your research.

Regards,

Meirion

Thank you for your prompt reply. We have had a wealth of information from Carnarvon Traders about Evan Hugh Owen. William Hugh was Evan Hugh Owen's son as you surmised. When we were in Carnarvon 18 months ago we did find Bryn Eryr and wondered was it worth looking for Anglesey and Compton Houses when we next visit. As they are no longer there we will not waste our time and concentrate instead on research at Carnarvon Record Office. Many thanks for your help.

One fact I forgot to mention was that 4 Church Street is part of an old Welsh Language Youth Club, now used by the Caernarfon Branch of The Gwynedd Family History Society to store records. and that No 23 Bridge Street is now an office and in my day was a Sweet and Tobacconist shop.

Regards,

Meirion

Meirion
Thanks for the further information. We will have a look at these when we are in Carnarvon next week. These little snippets bring family history to life.
Regards
Joan