Caernarfon Ddoe/Caernarfon's Yesterdays

Croeso i Fforwm Caernarfon Ddoe. Os oes gennych unrhyw gwestiwn am hanes y Dref postiwch yma a fe fyddwn yn hapus i geisio eich ateb. Os da chi yn teimlo fedrwch helpu gyda unrhyw gwestiwn fydd eich cyfraniad yn groesawus dros ben. Atebir y cwestiynnau yn y Saesneg neu yn y Gymraeg ac yn yr iaith y gofynnir y cwestiwn.

Os oes gennych unrhyw gwestiwn hanes teuluol, postiwch nhw yn yr adran penodol a fe fydd Keith yn hapus i geisio eich ateb.

Welcome to the Caernarfon's Yesterdays Forum. If you have a question about any aspect of the town's history please post it here and we will be happy to try and assist. If you feel you can help with any question then please feel free to contribute. Questions will be answered in English or in Welsh and in the language in which the question is asked.

If you have any brief family history questions, please post them in the dedicated area and Keith will try and answer them for you.

Segontium Searchers

If you wish to employ our research service then email enquiries@segontium.com for an informal discussion about your needs.

Hanes Tref Caernarfon/Caernarfon Town History
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
"Who Was John Llwyd"

Attn. T Meirion Hughes

When reading through the various artlcles I glanced at “Who was John Llwyd” and when I spotted he was the other trustee to Richard Mathias I read in earnest.

On my first trip home in 1983 I bought copies of the book “Sir William Preece’ by E.C. Baker for my family. It was then that my mother on reading about his father being one of two trustees told me that the other was a grandparent on her side by the name of Lloyd. She also said that it was a bit exordinary because he was Church.

Everything fitted - it explained where the Lloyd name came from plus the ‘architecture’ line. A few days before I had discovered Robert Lloyd Jones’ parents in the Bangor 1851 census with his mother being Ann born in Flint. And then I read that Ann had died at age 20.

My argument would be how would my mother be aware that her gt gt GF had been a trustee of the Chapel if he wasn’t her gt gt GF?

I know that Ann Lloyd’s name appears in the burial records. Has it been transcribed incorrectly? I believe my Ann, Ann Jones is in Llanfair -is-gaer churchyard.

My Taid, Llewelyn Lloyd Jones and his father, Robert Lloyd Jones were both architects in C’fon

I had written the following before reading the article

1Evan Jones

My mother had led me to believe that the name was Lloyd Jones and they were a line of architects etc. However since the only information I have is from the census that is what I must use at this time.

Evan Jones was age 36 in the Bangor 1851 census so was born 1815 or 1816 in Llanbeblig, Caernarfon. He was a Slate Wharf Clerk, living in Nant Adda. Discovered in the Parish of Bangor polling list of 1879-80 that men living in Portdinorwic were included therefore Portdinorwic was considered Bangor. Son Thomas Henry Jones appears living in Nant Adda, Portdinorwic which leads me to believe the family was living in Portdinorwic and Evan was an employee of the Dinorwic Quarries in Portdinorwic not living in Bangor and working for Penrhyn. Mum had led me to believe they were a Portdinorwic family although Evan was born in Llanbeblig (Caernarfon)

While not an architect or surveyor he was a shipping clerk and therefore educated. They also could afford a live-in servant.

He was married to Ann Maria , maiden name unknown. She was born in Llanelwy/St. Asaph, Flint in either 1816 or 1817. Would assume they were married before the birth of first son so before or around 1843.

They had three children. Thomas Henry born either 1843/4, Annie Maria 1845/6 and Robert Lloyd 1848. No DOD or where buried for Evan or Ann.

Was told Thomas and Annie are buried in Llanfair and suspect Evan and Ann must also be there.

Re: "Who Was John Llwyd"

Hi Nerys,

Thank you for your email re the above and I understand that Keith, who is responsible for Family History queries, has answered you direct and has clarified the position.

Incidentally, it is believed that the reason for John Lloyd leaving Ebenezer Chapel and becoming a member of the Church of England was that as one who was declared bankrupt in 1833 the strict rules of the Wesleyan Denomination forced him to relinquish his position as Trustee. Again due to the fact that the Church of England commissioned him to do so much work in the area it is not surprising that he chose to become a member.

Regards,

Meirion