Return to Website

Lighthouse PLCs, Inc. : Automation Forum

THE PURPOSE OF THIS FORUM IS: AUTOMATION SOLUTIONS.  IF YOU ARE A PERSON INVOLVED IN SOME ASPECT OF AUTOMATION, HAVE AN APPLICATION YOU JUST CAN'T QUITE GET A HANDLE ON  - HAVE A PRODUCT QUESTION - OR MAYBE HAVE AN ISSUE WITH SOMETHING (EVEN IF IT IS WITH US    ), IT IS POSSIBLE YOU WILL FIND THE ANSWER HERE!!  

OR,  IF YOU  ABSOLUTELY KNOW  THE ANSWER, OR EVEN THINK  YOU KNOW THE ANSWER, THEN JUST POST IT! MAKE THAT REPLY!
YOU ARE PROBABLY RIGHT ON THE MARK, AND MIGHT BE ABLE TO HELP SOMEBODY OUT!!    

AND, IT COULD BE YOU THAT NEEDS HELP NEXT TIME. AFTER ALL...(REALLY?).. ARE WE NOT ALL "CHILDREN" - AT VARIOUS POINTS ON THE LEARNING CURVE OF TECHNOLOGY" ???  (I know I've still got a lot to learn and I've been at it for... well since 1970!)

Hopefully the information presented here will help provide solutions to some of today's automation challenges. Some issues are probably old, some are probably new. Many are products of the economy, the resultant reduction in manpower, exacerbated by aging equipment crippled by decreases in maintenance budgets.  The ULTIMATE goal here is that we all become more successful in our careers and chosen professions.

MAYBE THIS FORUM CAN HELP!!! 

You know the rules - ADVERTISING IS NOT ALLOWED  ! 

This area is for we, :

No Offense Intended...the Fraternal Order of Propeller-Heads No Offense Intended

You know the rest - no flaming ,  profanity, blatant advertising,  etc., etc., blah, blah, blah.  If you are 5 years old, or feel like acting 5 years old, you really need to go outside and ride your bike - OH, and seek some professional therapy.  Yea, that would be good, too!

OH!  BTW, if you don't feel like providing your name/company, just put "Anonymous" / "Withheld"/ "Not On File" or Anything!  I promise we won't tell !

Note:  For best viewing..
We suggest switching to "Board Style" (below) rather than "Threaded Style" !
Your choice!  

PLC and Inverter Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Programming Access to CPM-E2 CPU

Question: We have 4 PLC Hizac EM with a module CPM-E2 with connector P1, PGM and we need to know about the price and availability of the cable connector from it to PC or Laptop RS232 that is used. I were checking more information on line about the conection for PLC Hitachi Hizac and I can notice that some solutions are to use the programer PGM-JR2 (I don't know if it includes the cable DB25 from PC to PLC connector 16 pins); the other solution could be that there is a cable Actcab-EM2 that use the DB9 directly I don't know if it is necessary a special sw. in the PC in adition. And finally I am thinkin that if would you mind tell me if is it the module CPM-E3 compatible with the PSM-A Hizac CPU? because that module works directly with RS232 interface, isn't it? and in that case I don´t need the programmer. Waiting for soon response Best regards.

Profession/Tech Level HITACHI GLOBAL SUPPORT QUESTION

Re: Programming Access to CPM-E2 CPU

Dear Vianney Sotelo,
As the Hitachi PLC Distributor for North America, your recent request to Hitachi Global was assigned to us. Thank you for your patronage of Hitachi products.

You are essentially correct in your understanding. I will attempt to simplify.

The CPM-E2 is a 2nd generation processor. The main difference between it and the original CPM-E was a four-fold increase in speed. And, just as with the CPM-E, programming was accomplished by using the PGM-J hand-held programmer.
The PGM-J was a “carry-over” from the retired “J-Series” (hence the “J” in the part number).
At this period of time (circa 1990) laptops became (financially) available for use on the plant floor. Consequently there was a rush by manufacturers to take advantage of this technology.

Shortly prior to this, the PGM-J was “re-vamped” with new features, which included a Serial Communications Port. By changing a (DIP) switch, the hand-held programmer transformed itself into a Serial Protocol Converter (some prefer to just call it an “interface”). Interesting enough, this features intended use was to print the program in the PLC, for purposes of documentation. Unfortunately, the printer technology of the day had not progressed past the “Serial” stage. Certain keystrokes on the PGM-JR2 sent the program (in Ladder Logic form) to the DB25F port in serial protocol acceptable to Serial Printers. (Today’s parallel (or Centronics) or USB printers won’t work, just for the record.)

The “COM” port on the laptops was used to connect to the Serial Printers. So it was inevitable that the Serial Port on the PGM-JR2 was connected to the COM port on the laptop. This provided the necessary “bridge” and paved the way for the development of software capable of utilizing this capability.

Back to your situation. Your current CPM-E2 can only be programmed in one of two ways. (A) PGM-J or PGM-JR2, or (B) PGM-JR2 configured as an I/F (Interface), and cabled to a laptop armed with programming software. If you already have a PGM-JR2, then all you need is the cable and the software.

There is another option worth considering. In the early 90’s, the CPM-E3 was released, which retained the speed of the CPM-E2, added a real-time clock (w/battery), and most importantly featured a built-in serial protocol interface. So with the CPM-E3 processor, you can cable directly from the DB9F to your laptop, thus eliminating the PGM-JR2.

The best part of this option, is that the memory module (i.e. MPM-1E or MPM-2E) which resides on the circuit board of the CPM-E/CPM-E2 works equally well in the CPM-E3. That means you can remove the memory module from the old processor, plug it into the new processor, repower the unit and you are back in business! The reason this is such an excellent option, is that the upgrade to the CPM-E3 is less than half the price of a new PGM-JR2. Restated, it is cheaper to upgrade to a new processor than to buy the I/F (PGM-JR2).

Either way, you will need the programming software. If you plan to use the PGM-JR2 with the CPM-E/CPM-E2, the software is called “ActSip-E”. If you plan on using the CPM-E3, then you can use ActSip-E or you can use the newer (IEC61131-3 compliant) “ActWin-E” programming software. ActSip is DOS based (we use it on laptops using XP all the time), whereas ActWin is Windows® based.

The one point that you had incorrect, was regarding the PSM-A. The PSM-A is the power supply. Having gone through two revisions, the current part number is PSM2-A2 (it is backwards compatible).

ActSip-E and ActWin-E both include the necessary cable, along with a printed tutorial manual. There is a 10-Page insert which addresses communications with Hitachi PLCs. And, on the Installation CD, there are manuals on the EM/EMII Series as well as on the software (PDF).

I trust I have addressed your questions and concerns. We would be delighted to quote you on any of the items discussed, or help you with any further issues.
Best Regards,

Transforming Intelligent Machine Optimized for Troubleshooting and Hazardous Yacking

Get Your Cyborg Name

Category: (VFD/PLC/HMI) hitachiplc@hotmail.com,3

Profession/Tech Level HITACHI GLOBAL SUPPORT QUESTION