Return to Website

Lighthouse PLCs, Inc. : Automation Forum

THE PURPOSE OF THIS FORUM IS: AUTOMATION SOLUTIONS.  IF YOU ARE A PERSON INVOLVED IN SOME ASPECT OF AUTOMATION, HAVE AN APPLICATION YOU JUST CAN'T QUITE GET A HANDLE ON  - HAVE A PRODUCT QUESTION - OR MAYBE HAVE AN ISSUE WITH SOMETHING (EVEN IF IT IS WITH US    ), IT IS POSSIBLE YOU WILL FIND THE ANSWER HERE!!  

OR,  IF YOU  ABSOLUTELY KNOW  THE ANSWER, OR EVEN THINK  YOU KNOW THE ANSWER, THEN JUST POST IT! MAKE THAT REPLY!
YOU ARE PROBABLY RIGHT ON THE MARK, AND MIGHT BE ABLE TO HELP SOMEBODY OUT!!    

AND, IT COULD BE YOU THAT NEEDS HELP NEXT TIME. AFTER ALL...(REALLY?).. ARE WE NOT ALL "CHILDREN" - AT VARIOUS POINTS ON THE LEARNING CURVE OF TECHNOLOGY" ???  (I know I've still got a lot to learn and I've been at it for... well since 1970!)

Hopefully the information presented here will help provide solutions to some of today's automation challenges. Some issues are probably old, some are probably new. Many are products of the economy, the resultant reduction in manpower, exacerbated by aging equipment crippled by decreases in maintenance budgets.  The ULTIMATE goal here is that we all become more successful in our careers and chosen professions.

MAYBE THIS FORUM CAN HELP!!! 

You know the rules - ADVERTISING IS NOT ALLOWED  ! 

This area is for we, :

No Offense Intended...the Fraternal Order of Propeller-Heads No Offense Intended

You know the rest - no flaming ,  profanity, blatant advertising,  etc., etc., blah, blah, blah.  If you are 5 years old, or feel like acting 5 years old, you really need to go outside and ride your bike - OH, and seek some professional therapy.  Yea, that would be good, too!

OH!  BTW, if you don't feel like providing your name/company, just put "Anonymous" / "Withheld"/ "Not On File" or Anything!  I promise we won't tell !

Note:  For best viewing..
We suggest switching to "Board Style" (below) rather than "Threaded Style" !
Your choice!  

PLC and Inverter Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Re: PID Questions

Mr. Edwards,

I placed your inquiry on our Web Forum in hopes of soliciting additional input. 

So far, no one has been “brave” (or interested) enough to post a reply.  Rather than

leave you “hanging”, I thought I would at least throw in my 2 cents worth.

I am a Senior Member of the ISA (over 20 years), so hopefully my comments will come close. 

Just from your wording, I surmise you need this information for a training course you are taking. 

Because the terms seem “exact”, I deduce that your instructor has referenced a particular book or manual. 

Therefore, I have footnoted some documents supporting the material I present.

Dampening, is an element of “Second Order Response”. 

The terms of which you inquired, have to do with the value of the “dampening ratio”  (indicated

by the symbol ξ.

1. When

ξ < 1.0, the system is said to be “under-damped” and will overshoot the final steady-state value. 

If ξ < 0.707, the system will not only overshoot but will oscillate about the final steady-state value.

2. When

ξ > 1.0, the system is said to be “over-damped” and will not oscillate or overshoot the final steady-state position. 

3. When

ξ = 1.0, the system is said to be “critically damped” and yields the fastest response without overshoot or oscillation.

Error Detection, is a rather nebulous term, in my humble opinion. 

In its simplest form, ERROR = Set Point – Measured Variable.  The meaning (of Error

Detection) is solely based upon the context in which it is used.  Your tea water may be boiling,

but your thermometer may only indicate 98°C.  In

this instance, the “error detector” is your eyes and brain.  Just as valid, is the concept

that “Error Detection” (sometimes referred to as a Comparator
)

is the heart of all feedback control systems.  The error signal, which is the output of the

comparator, becomes the input to the feedback controller,  Based on the error signal, the

controller calculates a signal to the final control element – which is typically a control valve – and this in turn controls the

manipulated variable input to the process.

Lastly, unless I have missed your point, the term “dead band”, “dead zone”,

“differential gap”, and “neutral zone” are often used synonymously.   “Sensitivity”

is defined as “the smallest change in measured variable to which an instrument properly responds
.” 

“Dead Band”, is then the opposite of  Sensitivity. 

It is defined as, “The largest change in a measured variable which is not detected by an instrument
.” 

In conventional practice, it is not possible to build a device that is sensitive to the sign of extremely small deviations – and

more importantly – it is not desirable to do so.  Such an excessively sensitive controller

would undergo needless wear and tear on its moving parts and contacts and would keep the process very unsteady.  The solution in most commercial two-position controllers (on-off), is to establish a dead zone of about 0.5% to 2.0% of

full range.  The   Dead Band  straddles the set-point; no control action takes place when

the control variable lies within the dead zone itself.   This seems to be one of those

topics that an entire semester of study could be devoted.  There are even control strategies

that incorporate Dead Band.  An example of this is a variant of two-position (on-off) control

with differential gap; called appropriately enough, “Three-Position Control”.  Here, the

controller responds with an intermediate output when the controlled variable lies within the neutral zone.

I hope that even if I have not ‘hit the mark’, I have at least gotten you close.

Good Luck with your project.

Timothy Davis  

p.s. The ideas, views, and/or opinions expressed here are mine, and are not necessarily

reflective of those of my employer.

Béla G. Lipták Instrument Engineers Handbook Chilton Book Company, Radnor Pennsylvania 1969, p 13

Paul W. Murrill Fundamentals of Process Control Theory Instrument Society of America 1981, p 26

Norma R. Whitaker Process Instrumentation Primer Petroleum Publishing Company Tulsa, Oklahoma 1980, p 5

Ibid., p. 5

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Sent: Tuesday, April 23, 2002 4:54 AM

with regard to P,I,D control can you explain trhe terms:

underdamped

overdamped

critically damped

can you also explain the principles behind error detection and demonstrate the significance of deadband.

i would be very grateful as at the moment i hvent a clue