Return to Website

Lighthouse PLCs, Inc. : Automation Forum

THE PURPOSE OF THIS FORUM IS: AUTOMATION SOLUTIONS.  IF YOU ARE A PERSON INVOLVED IN SOME ASPECT OF AUTOMATION, HAVE AN APPLICATION YOU JUST CAN'T QUITE GET A HANDLE ON  - HAVE A PRODUCT QUESTION - OR MAYBE HAVE AN ISSUE WITH SOMETHING (EVEN IF IT IS WITH US    ), IT IS POSSIBLE YOU WILL FIND THE ANSWER HERE!!  

OR,  IF YOU  ABSOLUTELY KNOW  THE ANSWER, OR EVEN THINK  YOU KNOW THE ANSWER, THEN JUST POST IT! MAKE THAT REPLY!
YOU ARE PROBABLY RIGHT ON THE MARK, AND MIGHT BE ABLE TO HELP SOMEBODY OUT!!    

AND, IT COULD BE YOU THAT NEEDS HELP NEXT TIME. AFTER ALL...(REALLY?).. ARE WE NOT ALL "CHILDREN" - AT VARIOUS POINTS ON THE LEARNING CURVE OF TECHNOLOGY" ???  (I know I've still got a lot to learn and I've been at it for... well since 1970!)

Hopefully the information presented here will help provide solutions to some of today's automation challenges. Some issues are probably old, some are probably new. Many are products of the economy, the resultant reduction in manpower, exacerbated by aging equipment crippled by decreases in maintenance budgets.  The ULTIMATE goal here is that we all become more successful in our careers and chosen professions.

MAYBE THIS FORUM CAN HELP!!! 

You know the rules - ADVERTISING IS NOT ALLOWED  ! 

This area is for we, :

No Offense Intended...the Fraternal Order of Propeller-Heads No Offense Intended

You know the rest - no flaming ,  profanity, blatant advertising,  etc., etc., blah, blah, blah.  If you are 5 years old, or feel like acting 5 years old, you really need to go outside and ride your bike - OH, and seek some professional therapy.  Yea, that would be good, too!

OH!  BTW, if you don't feel like providing your name/company, just put "Anonymous" / "Withheld"/ "Not On File" or Anything!  I promise we won't tell !

Note:  For best viewing..
We suggest switching to "Board Style" (below) rather than "Threaded Style" !
Your choice!  

PLC and Inverter Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
h2002

Just wondering if there is a redundancy option for the H2002 cpu.

thanks

PLC Redundancy - Good Topic for Group Discussion

For sake of breviety, let me just say "NO". None of the Large-H Processors (or any of the Hitachi PLC product families for that matter) have "redundancy".

I take pride in being pretty knowledgeable with regards to the Hitachi PLC families. I am the first to admit however, that I am not a SME (Subject Matter Expert) on PLC Redundancy. This one topic could occupy a whole Forum by itself!

Most Engineers/Technicians agree that Redundancy is an essential capability only for the most critical processes and systems. Generally, the cost is just too prohibitive for the majority of applications.

For those unfamiliar with "redundancy", this (briefly) is how it works. Should a problem arise in a system with "reduncnacy" the primary CPU automatically switches to a second CPU within one program scan, enabling continuous operation. The faulty CPU can be changed out while operation continues. Continuous operation is often enhanced by 'hot swappable' I/O and specialty modules.

Whenever this topic comes up, invariably someone starts talking about "Safety PLCs" (or sometimes "Life Safety PLCs"). Strictly speaking, (Life) Safety Systems do not allow even "Redundant" PLCs. NFPA79 Section 9.6.3 states "Category 0..shall only have hard-wired electro-mechanical components and shall not depend on electronic components (hardware or software) or the transmission of commands over a communications network." However some Government Regulatory Agencies with Local Jusrisdition have recently allowed Redundant PLCs in some Category 1 installations.

I welcome comments from others on this topic!