​​​​​​​
EP GRIDIRON
Start a New Topic 
1 2 3 4
Author
Comment
"Cougars Are Back!!"

.....Well , last year the mighty Cougars looked like timid "kittens"!!....4-6 record was quite embarrassing....its time to talk 2016.!!!....with a bunch of new coaching changes in 6A...I see Walker and his team rising back into the playoffs....a new QB...senior leadership in all the skill positions....and a renewed focus on defense....WE all know the Cougars will score...!!!...i think the defense will be better...and with a tough pre-district schedule....i see them making a run for District!!!...

Re: "Cougars Are Back!!"

It's going to come down to Americas and Cougars in 1 6a

......Franklin, Americas, El Dorado and Eastwood make the playoffs......Socorro has a new coach..,,they might be a lil better...but i don't see them awakening any sleeping dragons this year...Montwood doesn't even have a coach yet...and Coronado is searching for answers.....good luck trying to find those answers!!,,,,Pebble Hills....( reality is....just too young at this point)...

Big Tasty
.....Well , last year the mighty Cougars looked like timid "kittens"!!....4-6 record was quite embarrassing....its time to talk 2016.!!!....with a bunch of new coaching changes in 6A...I see Walker and his team rising back into the playoffs....a new QB...senior leadership in all the skill positions....and a renewed focus on defense....WE all know the Cougars will score...!!!...i think the defense will be better...and with a tough pre-district schedule....i see them making a run for District!!!...

You say you see them making a run for district what about a run in the playoffs?

....for sure.....they play Midland and Permian...so we will find out early as far as first round in playoffs because those districts are paired against each other....I can see them going 3 deep in large school....further will depend on the defense!!!!......Offense will have a ton of speed and more depth!!!...as usual with FRANKLIN...lets see how the "D" play first three games!!!...one more thing....the read option crap is history!!!...

Big Tasty
....for sure.....they play Midland and Permian...so we will find out early as far as first round in playoffs because those districts are paired against each other....I can see them going 3 deep in large school....further will depend on the defense!!!!......Offense will have a ton of speed and more depth!!!...as usual with FRANKLIN...lets see how the "D" play first three games!!!...one more thing....the read option crap is history!!!...

3 deep??? Obviously you are a optimistic person. As I said in the other topic Franklin has never been to the third round of the playoffs in like 11 or 12 years and that was before Walker became head coach at Franklin. In other words and in fact Walker has never taken Franklin to the third round of the playoffs. Ask yourself this question. How long has Walker been head coach at Franklin and has he ever taken Franklin to atleast the third round of the playoffs???

.......glass is half full......okay ill give ya that....maybe I'm crazy.....bottom line.....they have a better TEAM ...in all areas.!!...the key being TEAM!!!.....it will play itself out........im a fan of Americas and Eastwood as well....sooooo....who knows?????

The problem this year for all the teams is the districts have changed. Our first round game will be one of these teams. Frenship, Tascosa, Midland, Midland Lee, Odessa, Odessa Permian, and San Angelo Central. Our second round opponent will be from Arilington or the district with southlake carrol........amarill/lubbock area not being our first round made things a bit tougher. but hey the glass is half full

I don't see why Franklin won't be competing for DC title this year.

Franklin ought to be the favorite to win district

why don't we get through spring ball first. Romney leaving killed us. Hopefully the fast kid can actually become a football player he is killing it in track right now.

WD

I don't know El Dorado will be tough to beat.

BOW
WD

I don't know El Dorado will be tough to beat.

Lol at this guy because anyone has just cruised through 1-6a come on be realistic. Honestly in my opinion both episd 6as make the playoffs along with eastwood and americas. The aztecs will find it hard to get in. Imho.......

And im not hating my prediction is based off of returners last years jv consistancy in coaching etc.....bottom line is its tough in a coaches first year to make that splash. Lolez was an exception because henknew those kids when he was at eastwood and they were just that good. Good luck though

It seems like the Cougars are great every other year (c/o 15,13, etc...) so I'm hoping this will be a great year for them! Injuries late in the season are usually what keep them from making noise in the playoffs!

....2017 will be no different....clearly a better team..with a better defense...with better skill position players......better senior leadership..
This will be a great year.....barring injury!!!!....

I'm hearing behind that senior leadership there are a lot of young guys on the Franklin team....(freshman). That can't be good.

Cougars Are Back? Hmmmm where ever did they travel to? From battle perhaps? I apologize for my thinking out loud please proceed.

Excited for this season after last year's disappointing campaign. Also, glad the forums are back! :)

yes It will make the Coronado franklin game a little more interesting Let the friendly banter proceed lol.

In my opinion Coach Walker and the Cougars are still a year away from the playoffs. That Freshman Class will take them to the playoffs, but they are still too young to compete with the big dogs.

One thing is for sure the coaching staff will feel the pressure this year as they are expected to compete and be atop of their district. Correct me if I'm wrong but this is Coach Walker's first year of missing the playoffs since he got here in 07-08.

Prior to that Coach Grijalva (the Legend) got fired after one year of missing the playoffs with a subpar season 5-5 in 06-07. This is one year removed from going three deep in the playoffs and losing to eventual state champions Euless Trinity. In those days Franklin expected nothing but district championships and was known for their Black Swarm Defense. My, My, my how the tide has change at FRANKLIN!!!!!!

Now the Cougars have a brand new stadium, with all the perks, so you bet they better produce or there will be a new coaching staff and place.

To be continued.....................

....sooooo...what brand of paint are you sniffing????????........too young???...ALL THIS NOSTALGIA TALK IS
COMPLETE GARBAGE,,,,,,YOU OBVIOUSLY HAVE NO CLUE ABOUT THIS YEARS TEAM.....THEY ARE NOT TOO
YOUNG....AND THAT STATEMENT IS UTTERLY RIDICULOUS.....GO ON ANOTHER THREAD AND DRUM UP SOME MORE LUNACY.....Franklin will be fine.....and Walker's job is not in jeopardy.....unreal......

The freshman boys aren't carrying the Cougars this year, some of the Soph will help the team but they are certainly not carrying the team. The Cougars will make the playoffs and will compete for district title. Defense will be much improved 2016-2017 which will help the O. Coaches are not on the hot seat and again the younger players not carrying the team. Cougars will be under the radar and will surprise many, that's the way we want it!......... Take that to the bank!

franklin hardly has anyone with experience coming back

their running back never started a varsity game
their quarterback never started a varsity game
their receivers never started a varsity game
most of their defense never started a varsity game.

Playa, you smoking something? Get off the board, your lost and obviously don't know anything about the Cougars!

Cougars lost their prime three players on offense Mueller(qb) and Failamali(rb) to graduation, and Romney (wr) moved. On the defense they return some players from a defense that was ranked at the bottom of 1-6a.
Making the playoffs is possible in that #4 slot, but this upcoming senior and junior class have not done much (stats or wins at any level). Cougars are back just like the other teams but they have an uphill battle against the likes of Americas,El Dorado, Coronado and Eastwood.

.....Prime Three Players that got us 4-6 record.....use that word PRIME..loosely.....Franklin will be much better this year..!!
All three of those guys are gone!!!...and thats a good thing for FRANKLIN!!!....THEY WILL BE BETTER....NOT SURE WHO THE HECK YOU PPL ARE COMING ON THE THREAD TALKING ABOUT WHAT FRANKLIN IS.......CLEARLY....FOR THE LOVE OF GOD...YOU HAVE NO CLUE ABOUT OUR PROGRAM!!!......THAT IS HOW WE WANT IT....DOUBT US...BUILD UP YOUR AMERICAS AND ELDOS AND RAMS.....BUT UNDERSTAND.....YOU SLEEP ON US...BECAUSE YOU THINK OUR PRIME 3 OUR GONE....(4-6 ENOUGH SAID)...THEY HAVE BEEN REPLACED WITH BETTER TALENT!!!....WE ARE ON TO MIDLAND!!!

Hmm so it sounds like the mighty Tbirds will be the favorite in the good ol Westside bowl...

Lol and the trash talk begins

I know nothing lol I'm just going by these post...I will admit I attended a Franklin practice yesterday while my son had a track meet their yesterday... Receivers dropping plenty of balls, QB is fragile has a decent arm though, nothing special about the RB, oline looked decent at best, and defense looked ok nothing special. They won't be a top tier team in EP. (Cougars arnt back)

.......so....Curious Bird.....you're such an evaluators talent.....you got all that from ONE PRACTICE.....well....lemme tell you what i saw........bunch of slow 2400 meter runners...and a bunch of qualifying for field events because none of those kids can run......NOW.....what did you see??......btw....the players were mixed up....so enlighten me how you knew who the starting running back was.......obviously....you already know....trolled the Franklin practice and have nothing good to say!!!....so go back to watching the high jump .......oh yeah Franklin won District in Track...we are over track season.....so..the Cougars are back!!!....just like everyone else....keep putting us down.....spring ball is just starting...come back May 26 for the spring game...mr. Mike Mayock......

Curious Bird at least you didn't get yelled at in all CAPS!!!! Lmao

Someone is a little sensitive... This guy is putting down middle school kids. It was obvious who the starters were, but then again your entire team looked limited lol or dare I say youth like!

....wow..a curious Tbird.....amazing how you guys keep tabs on Franklin....you should be worrying about your own team curious Tbird.....your coach will be looking for a new job come next year....!!....and your youth like team couldn't beat a 4-6 FRANKLIN team last year....

Girls stop your back and forth girlie stuff! We all know who will win the Westside Bowl this year.

FRANKLIN!!!

We all know who will dominate in district.

FRANKLIN!!!

Haha we shall see mr nation.

CougarNation
Girls stop your back and forth girlie stuff! We all know who will win the Westside Bowl this year.

FRANKLIN!!!

FRANKLIN!!!

Don't just think westside bowl and district. That is weak. Think State

In 2005 we were thinking State. We didn't get to State but we won 2 Playoff games which is something my alma mater Franklin has not been able to repeat.

FHS_'06
CougarNation

FRANKLIN!!!

FRANKLIN!!!

In 2005 we were thinking State. We didn't get to State but we won 2 Playoff games which is something my alma mater Franklin has not been able to repeat.

I agree the kids must think STATE. Think Big. Shoot for the stars. Don't worry if you don't reach the stars other successes will be accomplished along the way. The lessons you will learn in your quest to reach for the stars is like gold actually even better than gold.

Go Cougars!!!

ProudCougarDad
FHS_'06
CougarNation

FRANKLIN!!!

FRANKLIN!!!

I agree the kids must think STATE. Think Big. Shoot for the stars. Don't worry if you don't reach the stars other successes will be accomplished along the way. The lessons you will learn in your quest to reach for the stars is like gold actually even better than gold.

Go Cougars!!!

YES they must think STATE. Our boys will make themselves proud and in the process of them doing that they will make us their parents as well as their school proud. It's going to be a fun season and our family can't wait.

Being new to El Paso last year, I attended several games to get a feel for what is in store for my kids when they get older. I was not impressed by what I saw on the field. I hope that was a one year drop off. I played and coached through the D-1 college level, so I am very familiar with what the game should look like. I hope to see much better performances on the field this year.

New to El Paso and using the cougar name? With no kids in high school? Shut up...

Same thing i was thinking........stop

Why? It is my school district now too. I have kids in the schools. I attended games and supported the team last year and will in the future. I have a son that is in college playing football and the next one enters HS soon. Several more on the way. I guess I have to live here longer before I can give my opinion? I plan to be here for years, so I guess I will wait and then you will call me a bandwagon fan? It's not like I trashed the kids. I was told by people with kids on the team to move to this district because Franklin is the best program in El Paso. I didn't see that last year and hoped it was a one year drop. Why is that bad and why do I have to shut up?

Cougar Transplant
I was told by people with kids on the team to move to this district because Franklin is the best program in El Paso.

You were seriously misinformed.

Every year the same thing about Franklin. I have watched them this spring and no they are no power house district team. They have a QB who will do good things but no supporting cast. 6-4 at best, get over it. In the spring game, they looked a bit soft.

Looked soft? Not sure what you were looking at.

Come on now!

Ok keep telling yourself that. Another year of the same.

Every year the Cougars are back. This current team is not even close to making a serious run. Yes they look good playing the Franklin Development Team in practice but the talent is not there. The QB and quick WR is their threat. Defense is nothing special.

Are you people sure that the Cougars are back? Cause they can't even beat our Ysleta Indians in a simple game of 7-on-7. Lol

......easy there Mr. Simpleton.....your lineman are as about as big as our running back.......dont get all
excited over a simple 7 on 7 like you said.......you would never be able to play us in a real battle because your 5A...and our coaches would never schedule a weak a$$ team like yours.....dont get all fuzzy and warm inside......but congrats on your victory!!....

1 2 3 4
w w w . e p g r i d i r o n . c o m