EP GRIDIRON
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
"Cougars Are Back!!"

.....Well , last year the mighty Cougars looked like timid "kittens"!!....4-6 record was quite embarrassing....its time to talk 2016.!!!....with a bunch of new coaching changes in 6A...I see Walker and his team rising back into the playoffs....a new QB...senior leadership in all the skill positions....and a renewed focus on defense....WE all know the Cougars will score...!!!...i think the defense will be better...and with a tough pre-district schedule....i see them making a run for District!!!...

Re: "Cougars Are Back!!"

It's going to come down to Americas and Cougars in 1 6a

......Franklin, Americas, El Dorado and Eastwood make the playoffs......Socorro has a new coach..,,they might be a lil better...but i don't see them awakening any sleeping dragons this year...Montwood doesn't even have a coach yet...and Coronado is searching for answers.....good luck trying to find those answers!!,,,,Pebble Hills....( reality is....just too young at this point)...

Big Tasty
.....Well , last year the mighty Cougars looked like timid "kittens"!!....4-6 record was quite embarrassing....its time to talk 2016.!!!....with a bunch of new coaching changes in 6A...I see Walker and his team rising back into the playoffs....a new QB...senior leadership in all the skill positions....and a renewed focus on defense....WE all know the Cougars will score...!!!...i think the defense will be better...and with a tough pre-district schedule....i see them making a run for District!!!...

You say you see them making a run for district what about a run in the playoffs?

....for sure.....they play Midland and Permian...so we will find out early as far as first round in playoffs because those districts are paired against each other....I can see them going 3 deep in large school....further will depend on the defense!!!!......Offense will have a ton of speed and more depth!!!...as usual with FRANKLIN...lets see how the "D" play first three games!!!...one more thing....the read option crap is history!!!...

Big Tasty
....for sure.....they play Midland and Permian...so we will find out early as far as first round in playoffs because those districts are paired against each other....I can see them going 3 deep in large school....further will depend on the defense!!!!......Offense will have a ton of speed and more depth!!!...as usual with FRANKLIN...lets see how the "D" play first three games!!!...one more thing....the read option crap is history!!!...

3 deep??? Obviously you are a optimistic person. As I said in the other topic Franklin has never been to the third round of the playoffs in like 11 or 12 years and that was before Walker became head coach at Franklin. In other words and in fact Walker has never taken Franklin to the third round of the playoffs. Ask yourself this question. How long has Walker been head coach at Franklin and has he ever taken Franklin to atleast the third round of the playoffs???

.......glass is half full......okay ill give ya that....maybe I'm crazy.....bottom line.....they have a better TEAM ...in all areas.!!...the key being TEAM!!!.....it will play itself out........im a fan of Americas and Eastwood as well....sooooo....who knows?????

The problem this year for all the teams is the districts have changed. Our first round game will be one of these teams. Frenship, Tascosa, Midland, Midland Lee, Odessa, Odessa Permian, and San Angelo Central. Our second round opponent will be from Arilington or the district with southlake carrol........amarill/lubbock area not being our first round made things a bit tougher. but hey the glass is half full

I don't see why Franklin won't be competing for DC title this year.

Franklin ought to be the favorite to win district

why don't we get through spring ball first. Romney leaving killed us. Hopefully the fast kid can actually become a football player he is killing it in track right now.

WD

I don't know El Dorado will be tough to beat.

BOW
WD

Lol at this guy because anyone has just cruised through 1-6a come on be realistic. Honestly in my opinion both episd 6as make the playoffs along with eastwood and americas. The aztecs will find it hard to get in. Imho.......

And im not hating my prediction is based off of returners last years jv consistancy in coaching etc.....bottom line is its tough in a coaches first year to make that splash. Lolez was an exception because henknew those kids when he was at eastwood and they were just that good. Good luck though

It seems like the Cougars are great every other year (c/o 15,13, etc...) so I'm hoping this will be a great year for them! Injuries late in the season are usually what keep them from making noise in the playoffs!

....2017 will be no different....clearly a better team..with a better defense...with better skill position players......better senior leadership..
This will be a great year.....barring injury!!!!....

I'm hearing behind that senior leadership there are a lot of young guys on the Franklin team....(freshman). That can't be good.

Cougars Are Back? Hmmmm where ever did they travel to? From battle perhaps? I apologize for my thinking out loud please proceed.

Excited for this season after last year's disappointing campaign. Also, glad the forums are back! :)

yes It will make the Coronado franklin game a little more interesting Let the friendly banter proceed lol.

In my opinion Coach Walker and the Cougars are still a year away from the playoffs. That Freshman Class will take them to the playoffs, but they are still too young to compete with the big dogs.

One thing is for sure the coaching staff will feel the pressure this year as they are expected to compete and be atop of their district. Correct me if I'm wrong but this is Coach Walker's first year of missing the playoffs since he got here in 07-08.

Prior to that Coach Grijalva (the Legend) got fired after one year of missing the playoffs with a subpar season 5-5 in 06-07. This is one year removed from going three deep in the playoffs and losing to eventual state champions Euless Trinity. In those days Franklin expected nothing but district championships and was known for their Black Swarm Defense. My, My, my how the tide has change at FRANKLIN!!!!!!

Now the Cougars have a brand new stadium, with all the perks, so you bet they better produce or there will be a new coaching staff and place.

To be continued.....................

....sooooo...what brand of paint are you sniffing????????........too young???...ALL THIS NOSTALGIA TALK IS
COMPLETE GARBAGE,,,,,,YOU OBVIOUSLY HAVE NO CLUE ABOUT THIS YEARS TEAM.....THEY ARE NOT TOO
YOUNG....AND THAT STATEMENT IS UTTERLY RIDICULOUS.....GO ON ANOTHER THREAD AND DRUM UP SOME MORE LUNACY.....Franklin will be fine.....and Walker's job is not in jeopardy.....unreal......

The freshman boys aren't carrying the Cougars this year, some of the Soph will help the team but they are certainly not carrying the team. The Cougars will make the playoffs and will compete for district title. Defense will be much improved 2016-2017 which will help the O. Coaches are not on the hot seat and again the younger players not carrying the team. Cougars will be under the radar and will surprise many, that's the way we want it!......... Take that to the bank!

franklin hardly has anyone with experience coming back

their running back never started a varsity game
their quarterback never started a varsity game
their receivers never started a varsity game
most of their defense never started a varsity game.

Playa, you smoking something? Get off the board, your lost and obviously don't know anything about the Cougars!

Cougars lost their prime three players on offense Mueller(qb) and Failamali(rb) to graduation, and Romney (wr) moved. On the defense they return some players from a defense that was ranked at the bottom of 1-6a.
Making the playoffs is possible in that #4 slot, but this upcoming senior and junior class have not done much (stats or wins at any level). Cougars are back just like the other teams but they have an uphill battle against the likes of Americas,El Dorado, Coronado and Eastwood.

.....Prime Three Players that got us 4-6 record.....use that word PRIME..loosely.....Franklin will be much better this year..!!
All three of those guys are gone!!!...and thats a good thing for FRANKLIN!!!....THEY WILL BE BETTER....NOT SURE WHO THE HECK YOU PPL ARE COMING ON THE THREAD TALKING ABOUT WHAT FRANKLIN IS.......CLEARLY....FOR THE LOVE OF GOD...YOU HAVE NO CLUE ABOUT OUR PROGRAM!!!......THAT IS HOW WE WANT IT....DOUBT US...BUILD UP YOUR AMERICAS AND ELDOS AND RAMS.....BUT UNDERSTAND.....YOU SLEEP ON US...BECAUSE YOU THINK OUR PRIME 3 OUR GONE....(4-6 ENOUGH SAID)...THEY HAVE BEEN REPLACED WITH BETTER TALENT!!!....WE ARE ON TO MIDLAND!!!

Hmm so it sounds like the mighty Tbirds will be the favorite in the good ol Westside bowl...

Lol and the trash talk begins

I know nothing lol I'm just going by these post...I will admit I attended a Franklin practice yesterday while my son had a track meet their yesterday... Receivers dropping plenty of balls, QB is fragile has a decent arm though, nothing special about the RB, oline looked decent at best, and defense looked ok nothing special. They won't be a top tier team in EP. (Cougars arnt back)

.......so....Curious Bird.....you're such an evaluators talent.....you got all that from ONE PRACTICE.....well....lemme tell you what i saw........bunch of slow 2400 meter runners...and a bunch of qualifying for field events because none of those kids can run......NOW.....what did you see??......btw....the players were mixed up....so enlighten me how you knew who the starting running back was.......obviously....you already know....trolled the Franklin practice and have nothing good to say!!!....so go back to watching the high jump .......oh yeah Franklin won District in Track...we are over track season.....so..the Cougars are back!!!....just like everyone else....keep putting us down.....spring ball is just starting...come back May 26 for the spring game...mr. Mike Mayock......

Curious Bird at least you didn't get yelled at in all CAPS!!!! Lmao

Someone is a little sensitive... This guy is putting down middle school kids. It was obvious who the starters were, but then again your entire team looked limited lol or dare I say youth like!

....wow..a curious Tbird.....amazing how you guys keep tabs on Franklin....you should be worrying about your own team curious Tbird.....your coach will be looking for a new job come next year....!!....and your youth like team couldn't beat a 4-6 FRANKLIN team last year....

Girls stop your back and forth girlie stuff! We all know who will win the Westside Bowl this year.

FRANKLIN!!!

We all know who will dominate in district.

FRANKLIN!!!

Haha we shall see mr nation.

CougarNation
Girls stop your back and forth girlie stuff! We all know who will win the Westside Bowl this year.

FRANKLIN!!!

FRANKLIN!!!

Don't just think westside bowl and district. That is weak. Think State

In 2005 we were thinking State. We didn't get to State but we won 2 Playoff games which is something my alma mater Franklin has not been able to repeat.

FHS_'06
CougarNation

FRANKLIN!!!

FRANKLIN!!!

In 2005 we were thinking State. We didn't get to State but we won 2 Playoff games which is something my alma mater Franklin has not been able to repeat.

I agree the kids must think STATE. Think Big. Shoot for the stars. Don't worry if you don't reach the stars other successes will be accomplished along the way. The lessons you will learn in your quest to reach for the stars is like gold actually even better than gold.

Go Cougars!!!

ProudCougarDad
FHS_'06
CougarNation

FRANKLIN!!!

FRANKLIN!!!

I agree the kids must think STATE. Think Big. Shoot for the stars. Don't worry if you don't reach the stars other successes will be accomplished along the way. The lessons you will learn in your quest to reach for the stars is like gold actually even better than gold.

Go Cougars!!!

YES they must think STATE. Our boys will make themselves proud and in the process of them doing that they will make us their parents as well as their school proud. It's going to be a fun season and our family can't wait.

Being new to El Paso last year, I attended several games to get a feel for what is in store for my kids when they get older. I was not impressed by what I saw on the field. I hope that was a one year drop off. I played and coached through the D-1 college level, so I am very familiar with what the game should look like. I hope to see much better performances on the field this year.

New to El Paso and using the cougar name? With no kids in high school? Shut up...

Same thing i was thinking........stop

Why? It is my school district now too. I have kids in the schools. I attended games and supported the team last year and will in the future. I have a son that is in college playing football and the next one enters HS soon. Several more on the way. I guess I have to live here longer before I can give my opinion? I plan to be here for years, so I guess I will wait and then you will call me a bandwagon fan? It's not like I trashed the kids. I was told by people with kids on the team to move to this district because Franklin is the best program in El Paso. I didn't see that last year and hoped it was a one year drop. Why is that bad and why do I have to shut up?

Cougar Transplant
I was told by people with kids on the team to move to this district because Franklin is the best program in El Paso.

You were seriously misinformed.

Every year the same thing about Franklin. I have watched them this spring and no they are no power house district team. They have a QB who will do good things but no supporting cast. 6-4 at best, get over it. In the spring game, they looked a bit soft.

Looked soft? Not sure what you were looking at.

Come on now!

Ok keep telling yourself that. Another year of the same.

Every year the Cougars are back. This current team is not even close to making a serious run. Yes they look good playing the Franklin Development Team in practice but the talent is not there. The QB and quick WR is their threat. Defense is nothing special.

Are you people sure that the Cougars are back? Cause they can't even beat our Ysleta Indians in a simple game of 7-on-7. Lol

......easy there Mr. Simpleton.....your lineman are as about as big as our running back.......dont get all
excited over a simple 7 on 7 like you said.......you would never be able to play us in a real battle because your 5A...and our coaches would never schedule a weak a$$ team like yours.....dont get all fuzzy and warm inside......but congrats on your victory!!....

have agree to franklin will be lucky to win 5 games

black swarm
......easy there Mr. Simpleton.....your lineman are as about as big as our running back.......dont get all
excited over a simple 7 on 7 like you said.......you would never be able to play us in a real battle because your 5A...and our coaches would never schedule a weak a$$ team like yours.....dont get all fuzzy and warm inside......but congrats on your victory!!....

Franklin should dominate ysleta in anythi g that they do. So yes this is a bad indicator of Things to come

I watched the Franklin-Ysleta 7on7 and was disappointed. The Franklin players were getting on each other (negatively), putting each other down, blaming one another and pointing fingers when something didn't go their way. They did not play as a team and if they don't fix that the fall will not bode well for them.

kitty
I watched the Franklin-Ysleta 7on7 and was disappointed. The Franklin players were getting on each other (negatively), putting each other down, blaming one another and pointing fingers when something didn't go their way. They did not play as a team and if they don't fix that the fall will not bode well for them.

That's what the offseason is for and tgat is why 7on7 is important to bond as a team and fix what's broken mentally and spiritually and find chemistry. Keep working Cougars and let's make our school, our community, our families, and yourselves proud.

I was there. They looked bad. They need a new OC and a new offensive system. This guy isn't cutting it.

....Mr. supporter....i see you like to put your two cents into just about any post you think your an expert on....lemme say this....7 on 7....is definately NOT an indicator of how well a team does in tackle football or for that matter...the upcoming season....if you truly believe that....then you are sadly mistaken....this kind of event does not take injuries into account, special teams, sub packages, game planning, lineman, i could go on and on dude......so lets take your theory...,,last year Eastwood with Richie and the QB...Did they qualify for 7 on 7??......but you believe because EASTWOOD qualified for some 7 on 7 tourney this years team is better than last years!!...trust me....with Torrez and Rich gone they won't be....and we can look back at you post....because your the expert...it seems on everything..and have a good laugh....about how stupid your theories and opinions are.....Franklin will be fine.....Chicken Little sky is falling attitude is a little premature after some local 7 on 7 tourney.......

I stand by my opinion Franklin should dominate ysleta in anything no matter what it is.

supporter
I stand by my opinion Franklin should dominate ysleta in anything no matter what it is.

I agree. The program is going downhill, unfortunately. Not sure why either. We have such a great pedigree, these kids should be trying to live up to those standards that were set by the teams before them. Not having a winning record for the first time in School history should be a huge wake up call to these kids that they need to be better.

Jake
supporter

I agree. The program is going downhill, unfortunately. Not sure why either. We have such a great pedigree, these kids should be trying to live up to those standards that were set by the teams before them. Not having a winning record for the first time in School history should be a huge wake up call to these kids that they need to be better.

After Franklin lost to Eastlake, the cougars felt is wasn't even worth giving it full effort as they knew Eastlake would advance no matter what to the semi's. Its not and excuse but this just shows the type of mentality that will carry on to the fall season with this team.

Franklin will be just fine and will surprise lots of people.

Franklin is always going to be fine. They are a well funded program. All schools deal with talent ups and downs. Communities grow old etc. Montwood had the Brittons' , Americas has had the The Field's, Burgess had the Jones' family, Coronado has a million Slaughters' and Milans'. You will always have ups and downs with talent. Coaching can only take you so far.

The Cougars missed the playoffs last season. We expect to be back to our championship ways this year. Franklin is a school with tradition, all they have done since they opened up is win and contend for a district championship. The pressure is on, as we try to make it back to the playoffs. Will Franklin deliver?

Last year was Franklin's only losing season since their first season (before seniors were on the varsity team)

Last time Franklin was that bad it was in 2006 when they finished 5-5.

We'll be back.

truly the difference now is that teams are better. Think about back in the day. These games were automatic wins for franklin

Americas
Bel Air
Hanks
Eastwood
Socorro

District is more competitive now. Its harder to make a quick turnaround.

I wonder how much losing Coach Torres to PHHS factored into the dropoff??? Who replaced him as OC?

........most of the Franklin offensive players love Torres..,,,,but that all will be put aside come 4th game of the season!!
HE knows personally about almost every single offensive player.....so you have inside info and knowledge!!!!
So Spartan Land.....be ready.....because they have something to prove and so does HE....The pedal will be put on the gas the entire game!!!!!......bottom line......because I'm sure the OC from Franklin will have something to prove as well...should be an interesting game with interesting in game stories......

We will be back for sure, it's easy to forget that we were a serious region contender only 3 years ago.

After watching yesterdays disappointing scrimmage our Cougars are not back. If our team does not wake up fast it's going to be a long season and our Cougars will miss the playoffs again.

PurpleRain
After watching yesterdays disappointing scrimmage our Cougars are not back. If our team does not wake up fast it's going to be a long season and our Cougars will miss the playoffs again.

Franklin will be good....no game plan....starters only played 1 quarter.....soooooo....not sure how anybody can say that after a meaningless scrimmage......what i will say is the defense is much improved.....the offense was vanilla and tried to run the ball at first...Canutillo had a good run defense....We tied the game up with a 30 yard swing pass....and that was entire game in a nutshell....the rest was 2nd and 3rd team

You guys live in a dream world, always excuse after excuse, you know what they say about excuses.

I couldn't go last night but you can't really put too much into a scrimmage. I think Franklins defense should be better this year because they played several sophomores and juniors last year. Question is how is Offense and how is Hatch going to be Qb. Another big question is do they have a running back to replace Faimalo? I can't wait for an other year of football and get all the questions answered!!

Jumbo Jim
PurpleRain

Franklin will be good....no game plan....starters only played 1 quarter.....soooooo....not sure how anybody can say that after a meaningless scrimmage......what i will say is the defense is much improved.....the offense was vanilla and tried to run the ball at first...Canutillo had a good run defense....We tied the game up with a 30 yard swing pass....and that was entire game in a nutshell....the rest was 2nd and 3rd team

Funny how when a team does well the scrimmage matters but when they don't it doesn't matter lol

What!Canutillo scored 2x on Franklins 1st team. Dont be lying like Hillary

Supporter....who is you team!!!....you love to run you mouth on every **** thread like your sh2t don't stink....
First of all...Franklin starters played well...and guess what ....who cares...all for not.....Nobody in the stands gave a rats are who won...and actually it was pretty **** boring.....21-21......it meant NOTHING!!!.....NO GAME PLAN!!!...all that matters is they came out healthy.......off to MIDLAND!!!!....go support your lame team with your lame supporter name!!!..

Actually wadnt hating just pointing out a fact. When teams do well scrimmages mean everything and when they don't they don't mean anything. Just a fact directed at jumbo jim. Doesn't matter who my team is I just keep it real.

bottom line regardless of details on score or 1st team etc. Franklin got embarrassed.

Fans don't believe the hype. There is nothing new about Franklin and without Gunner Romney they will struggle this season.

Yeah, they are back! Allowed 56 points, funny!

First off I'm not a Franklin supporter so I have no bias towards them. Born and raised in EP live in SA but I work out here in Midland and closelyfollow TX high school football. So...this is what I think. Good points. Run game is pretty good. O line do there job well and that Dominguez kid is truly a beast. When the QB has time to pass he's pretty accurate and has a good arm. Unfortunately his receivers are not very good at getting open and have no real speed so they really depend on running the ball over and over again.
The Bad: Franklins defense is horrible.Period. Not that they are bad at tackling but it just seems like they are never in the right place. That to me is coaching. And they never adjusted. Plus they don't have much speed. In my opinion Midland is a good team but not as great as the score showed. Franklins bad defense made Midland look really good. Hopefully their coaches will make adjustments for the rest of the season. Goodluck

27-21 halftime. Cougars get the ball to start the half.... Cougars are not horrible they were out coached. Halftime adjustments were not made. Too many moving parts on that defense. Run heavy was ok in the 1st half but not the 2nd half. Defensive coordinator get your down and distance play calling together, especially 3rd and long. (4 kids played corner) why? Running the ball down 3 possessions in the 2nd half why? #7 and #30 no verticle routes down field why? #6 and #17 are your best corners since you all didnt know. #7 cant go both ways and be effective. #8 is just a huge QB work him in more. Will #2 ever play? That is all. And special teams sucks. Oh so i guess Franklin is horrible. Or horrible coaches? #birdstomorrow

New DC same result, I bet Walker is feeling the heat. The season is young and changes could still be made starting with the dc and then going to the play calling of the oc. The oc never adjusted when the d when all out on stopping the run since it was killing midland. All we need is for someone to school our dc and oc and we will be fine.

Week one guys just chill

DC is a piece of poop. An idiot doesn't know his players. 7 and 6 is by far the best corners and he rotates them out the game what a dumb ass. Blitz on 3rd and 20???

...obviously these guys are Franklin parents or supporters who were at the game. The first half the team played great!!...They are young on defense...and yes the coaches made some bad calls...but overall the offense was effective...and the defense had a rough night......those kids played their butts off and trust me......you think they wanted to give up 56 points....NO!!....but i sure as hell are not righting them off...when other 6A teams struggled as well.!!....Midland is waaaay better than Socorro or Del Valle......i love em win lose or draw.....Go Cougars!!!!....on to Permian....

Purple wave there were actually a mixed crowd of fans i am sure fans are hurt, cougar fans and ep fans, yes they played hard but it was more to it than that.

People, this problem goes back at least 3 years if not more. You cant allow 50 plus points and expect to win many games. Defense wins games and championships, and unfortunately Franklin has had a bad or mediocre defense that last few seasons. The reason they were so good the 14-15 season is because the offense had way more weapons, an outstanding running back who never got hurt and receivers, at least 5, who could run routes, great hands(hold onto the ball), and get open. With a new dc this year I thought things would change, guess not. Oc is in his second year and seems to be calling the same plays. But maybe hes calling it that way because their air game isnt up to par. The loss of Romney really hurts the O. Saw this same issue last year, an offense that could score, not a ton, but a d that cant really stop too much, when it came to crunch time. So maybe they will adjust and make changes. I thought Franklin had a QB that was supposed to be another superstar, I didnt see much last night from him. Seems like the same issues as last year on O, limited weapons.Just reporting what I saw.

I was not at the game, but I didn't need to be there to know this was a whooping. As a Franklin alum, this is an embarrassment to our Black Swarm defense and to our tradition. Even in one of Franklin's worst season, 2006, we still allowed very few points a game and made every game except for one competitive. I'm sure they'll fix it--I really hope they do. You obviously can have the best offense in the nation, but it doesn't matter if you have a crappy defense. Just look at my alma mater, Texas Tech. Explosive offense, but we've had one of the worst defense in CFB the past years and that is what holds us back from winning titles.

Should be a good game again Permian here at Franklin! Let's pack the stadium...all of El Paso!

I'd like to add that you guys lost one heck of a coach in Coach Torres two years ago to Pebble Hills. Coach T can flat out coach! Losing him had to have some impact.

spartan dad it had zero impact. Coach Torres was the OC in name only. The offense is Coach Walkers. That isn't saying that he isn't a quality coach It is me saying that wasn't the down turn, the defense is just not good, period.........

Franklin has not had a defense in over 9 to 10 years.

That mean it's time 4 a change.

It seems the Cougar starters only played 1 Qtr in this one too!

Just messing with you all...

...... the offense wasn't the issues last night....all 4 drives were 75 yards for a score....you cant expect the offense to score 35- 42 a game every single time out.....now...they used one of their WR as runningback....very obvious if you were at the game...they ran twins for protection...cuz 42 from Midland is a straight beast!!!.....I thought the OC had a good scheme and idea....unfortunately...the reality is...the defense had a rough go at it......I think the defense will get better..you cannot get burned for 3 tds off bubble screens and jailbreaks!!!...period

I agree. I here this talk that it's ok but giving up 56points does not speak to a promising year.

If cougas don't fix their defense it will be a long season. You can't expect to out score everyone. It doesn't work.

I just think everyone is over reacting. Of course you can't give up 56 points and win but it was the 1st game of the season on the road, non district game, against a much more mature group. Franklin is a young team they will be better as the season progress. First year defensive coordinator for Franklin will be better, let's not get bent all out of shape just yet. Franklin dominated the trenches, forced a few turnovers, didn't commit a turnover, and established a solid run game. QB play will be improved with a few shots down field. Keep grinding cougars.

Coach Torres was and is a great coach, he ran the offense NOT walker. Defense sucks just like the last 4 or 5 years. Why must a team score 60 or 70 points to win? QB can pass but he definitely is not a runner. See this year as a big struggle same as last.

Coach Torres came in from Austin and prior experience as a dc. When he came in he ran that walker offense that came from his days at Chapin. Granted he did a good job of not messing up and thus got a promotion to Pebble Hills. Anyway you are acting like he was a big deal. You will see what type of big deal he is when you finish the season . As far as Franklin goes I believe they have the best resources and support available. If there was a ranking for boosters Franklin would be #1. I just think these kids running the offense and defense need to start getting prepped. They act all cool in practice dancing to their gangster rap. Enough with their childish games man up, you all wanted the responsibility than you have to do more than just play music through that PA System. I'm sorry yet happy to say this might be the end of the Walker area if we don't start winning.

........its funny how some Franklin so called supporters are actually calling for Walkers head.....literally i wanna laugh out loud....Hes not going anywhere....He made a change with a new defensive coordinator ...with a new system...give the **** kids some time....its one game.....you don't think everyone is frustrated!!....but i don't see how you jump to the conclusion of a coaching change....the entire city has picked apart FRANKLIN'S coaching staff....Pebble Hills..,Andress...etc...soooooo...im gonna give the new coach a chance...there are a bunch of sophomores on that defense!!!!...they just need to grow and mature....and when they do....i want the same Franklin supporters that come on here and spew garbage to realize that it was one game!!!!....can we move on to week #2.....goodness...

Westside connection. You are the Definition of what I like to call a perfect idiot! Yes purple wave on to week 2.

yea, it's hilarious to see all the spoiled whiners. this team is just a year removed from a district championship (plus a win over the regional champ canutillo), & ppl are falling to pieces over one tough loss to an out-of-town team that brought back tons of starters from last year. can't you at least wait to see how district goes?

besides, it's natural even for great high schools to have down years here and there. they can't recruit like college and there is no draft like the nfl, so success will naturally ebb and flow based off variations in talent from year to year. it's also tough to maintain success when other schools keep taking the assistant coaches. They've lost 3 coordinators in the last 5 years, along with a few other assistants. If ppl were as impatient years ago as they are today, alot of great EP coaches would've been fired 1/3 of the way through their careers.

Call me stupid again, you all live in a fairy tale where everything is perfect. I been around a Long time, the last time I saw franklin take a whooping like that was in their lost to Euless Trinity on their way to a state championship. Don't get mad because I call it how it is, I love Franklin and I want them to succeed. But Their has to be change. This is chess not checkers. When we can't score on offense and can't stop anything on defense we have a problem. Who are we to blame Purple Wave??????? Do you agree that we have a better team??

Where you at now, kinda quiet "Cougs." As I said months back, they are soft.

Westside Connection
Call me stupid again, you all live in a fairy tale where everything is perfect. I been around a Long time, the last time I saw franklin take a whooping like that was in their lost to Euless Trinity on their way to a state championship. Don't get mad because I call it how it is, I love Franklin and I want them to succeed. But Their has to be change. This is chess not checkers. When we can't score on offense and can't stop anything on defense we have a problem. Who are we to blame Purple Wave??????? Do you agree that we have a better team??

nobody said everything is perfect. nice use of straw-man arguments though. your sample size of complaints is pretty small. 1 bad season & 2 bad games so far over 10 seasons (didn't hear much calling for "change" after the '14/15 season). I repeat, can't you wait until district before getting hysterical? It's not like other Franklin coaches haven't suffered some demolishing losses to out of town teams or had years with district losses. Not every year was like 2004/05. Be careful of assumptions that "change" is gonna fix things.

Excuses! We are not discussing the past. Franklin was "Loaded" in 2014 with multiple D1 players and they still were giving up large numbers. When they struggled with Canutillo in 2014, again with all those D1 prospects, the writing was on the wall. Every year the Cougars are going to do it. When it does not happen, a bunch of excuses follow. 117 points in two games against other 6A schools does not hint of a successful season.

Most embarrassing loss I've seen in 10+ years of following the Cougars. I'm sorry but the program is clearly struggling.

First Team
Excuses! We are not discussing the past. Franklin was "Loaded" in 2014 with multiple D1 players and they still were giving up large numbers. When they struggled with Canutillo in 2014, again with all those D1 prospects, the writing was on the wall. Every year the Cougars are going to do it. When it does not happen, a bunch of excuses follow. 117 points in two games against other 6A schools does not hint of a successful season.

your life will be filled with disappointment then.

This is not about my life. Stick to the script, this is about Franklin. Part of the problem, you and many are satisfied with district. In your heart you know they can't compete outside of EP. The talent is not there. The sad part many of the football players can't see pass district or even playing at the next level. Once they play for Franklin they feel they have reached the sky. Sad mentality. Get mad but that's the truth.

They are young. 62 man roster, 25 seniors, 18 freshman, and the rest of are juniors. They have some growing to do.

Shade
They are young. 62 man roster, 25 seniors, 18 freshman, and the rest of are juniors. They have some growing to do.

So 44 on the roster are either Seniors or Juniors, with 18 sophomores (not freshmen). I wouldn't call that a young team.

Correction yes sophomores, and you are adding the junior class with senior class, 25 seniors and 18 sophomores, makes a young team, 6 of those sophomores are starters...

Thats a fact! Fact check

Last night was embarrassing for players, fans, community. Coaches should see this as a real wake up call! Your a fool if you thing the the 2nd string QB needs to play, do want Franklin to lose every game this year? That kid can't even take a snap with out fumbling against 3rd team Permian players. He and many of the sophomores including Jr's are not fully committed to the team because it's not about them. These Soph, Jr's boys are getting PT this year and were suppose to save the team but obviously can't hang. They are learning this isn't Freshman ball or city league! Welcome real football! The 1 QB ran for his life all night because there was 0 separation with the WR and Permian DB's and the Oline couldn't block a middle school team. Some of the seniors are not experienced because they sat bench last year because coaches wasted their their time with punk Sr's which did not help the team get better. Coaches better start figuring out how to coach technique, implement better game plans and adjust or the boys will stop playing for them.

Shade
Correction yes sophomores, and you are adding the junior class with senior class, 25 seniors and 18 sophomores, makes a young team, 6 of those sophomores are starters...

Look around rosters throughout the city and you'll see similar compositions.

25 seniors
19 juniors
18 sophomores is not out of the ordinary for El Paso 6A schools. What that tells me after a 61-0 loss is that those sophomores aren't ready to be starting in the first place. But you're clearly one of those sophomore's daddy's so you won't see it the way others are seeing it.

The entire secondary is horrible...cant tackle!!!!....id say go to Coronado, but they suck too!!...entire westside sucks!

Clearly... If I were a parent of those kid's still not sure what it had to do with what I was stating... The team is young, rather those kids are ready to play or not they beat out other kids right? You are missing my point and taking it the wrong way

Johnny O that's your opinion but ok.

Im still digesting the beatdown....why does my coffee taste so bad today!!!....****!!...GIMME A FEW DAYS...LOL

What do you mean THE ENTIRE WESTSIDE, CANUTS IS DOING JUST FINE.

This is for JOHNNY O

Franklin tied Canutes in pre-game this year. Canutes WOULD NOT beat Franklin in a real game!

I think that the problem of El Paso rides at the helm. How does a town, a third of the size of el paso, beat us on every game. We get all excited if we(el paso) beat them on a game but the reality is that even with a much smaller pool they out coach us. Every single time.

True.

Tbust
I think that the problem of El Paso rides at the helm. How does a town, a third of the size of el paso, beat us on every game. We get all excited if we(el paso) beat them on a game but the reality is that even with a much smaller pool they out coach us. Every single time.

the size of the town is irrelevant. you should do some research first. Odessa/Midland area only has the talent spread across 4-5 teams. El Paso talent is spread across like 30 teams. Permian's got about 1000 more students than any EP 6a's outside of El Dorado. Odessa has freaking 4000. Midland & Midland Lee both got about 3000 each. All the 6a's in El Paso are 2700 or less, except El Dorado.

Tbust

Like I said COACHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Coaching has always been the biggest problem at Franklin and other top tier teams in El Paso.

Put your ego aside and understand that. When you understand the problem you can begin to fix the problem.

Spitfire

Coaching has always been the biggest problem at Franklin and other top tier teams in El Paso.

Put your ego aside and understand that. When you understand the problem you can begin to fix the problem.

There are alot more factors to the problem than coaching. I'd also add that coaches from Odessa further east get paid a ton more. Latest data I've found is from 2005, but I doubt it's changed much. Average salary for the Midland/Odessa head coaches is $95k. Average salary for El Paso head coaches is $60k. I'm sure a similar sort of discrepancy exists for the assistant coach salaries as well. It's easier for the Odessa population to support those salaries when their median income is $53k, & El Paso median income is $40k. More money also means more can be invested in facilities & football camps. There's no simple solution.

mausDE
Spitfire

There are alot more factors to the problem than coaching. I'd also add that coaches from Odessa further east get paid a ton more. Latest data I've found is from 2005, but I doubt it's changed much. Average salary for the Midland/Odessa head coaches is $95k. Average salary for El Paso head coaches is $60k. I'm sure a similar sort of discrepancy exists for the assistant coach salaries as well. It's easier for the Odessa population to support those salaries when their median income is $53k, & El Paso median income is $40k. More money also means more can be invested in facilities & football camps. There's no simple solution.

Most coaches in EP make $90k

TX football

Most coaches in EP make $90k

as I said, the data I found was from '05. Generally salaries will rise over time both in EP and elsewhere as inflation grows. There is still a salary gap between EP and the rest of Texas. I don't have a current list, but have read about plenty of metroplex & houston coaches are making over $100k

LOL

Like I said months ago, the defense is soft. I am not sure what was seen in the spring game.

Awful quiet.

footballjunkie
Awful quiet.

Wait until their loss against Eastwood. It will get loud in this thread.

We might have a shot against Eastwood with their QB situation.

Westsider

We also have a shot against Franklin with their QB situation and big defense problem.

I just spit out my beer when I read this lol

Troop
Westsider

We also have a shot against Franklin with their QB situation and big defense problem.

Oh my gosh, funniest thing I have read so far!
Troop, you win the internet today!

Supporter
BOW
WD

Lol at this guy because anyone has just cruised through 1-6a come on be realistic. Honestly in my opinion both episd 6as make the playoffs along with eastwood and americas. The aztecs will find it hard to get in. Imho.......

69-14

I think our Cougars might have a chance... players are all hyped up, coaches are excited.... Time to shock the state! Cougs by 10.

Trum2017
I think our Cougars might have a chance... players are all hyped up, coaches are excited.... Time to shock the state! Cougs by 10.

Where was that hype and excitement in Franklin's first 3 games of the season and where was that hype and excitement with Franklin against the top 3 teams in district 1-6a El Dorado, Montwood and Americas?

Franklin has yet to beat a quality opponent all season. Sorry but I only speak the truth that's all I do.

I will play along and try to be a dreamer and optimistic for you. If Franklin beats San Angelo which they won't BUTTTTTTTTTTTT dam there's that big BUT again BUT if Franklin beats San Angelo the 4th ranked team in the state then I say there is no stopping Franklin the rest of the playoffs.

bottom line is franklin has gotten better since the el dorado loss........they played great against americas....Americas was just too much for them in the end. I honestly think they have a chance because of the history. its a good match up for them.

I think you have lost your mind!

Good luck to all EL Paso teams this week in 6a traveling out of town!

Eastside Support
I think you have lost your mind!

About what.... They got destroyed by el do and came out and played better the rest of the year

Central is better than any team in 1-6A and Franklin barely scraped into the playoffs. Sorry but thats the reality if the situation. Hope the boys make it out to SA safe and put up a fight.

Look if any of them read this and I know they do, they will go into game defeated. Great fans.......

As I said the other day, I think you lost your mind. They didn't have a chance. Again, say what you want about being a local 6A team powerhouse, Franklin does not have "6A Talent." There are no 3,4,5 Star athletes. And don't feel bad, this is across EP. There are a select few athletes that are the exception. One suggestion is train in the off season on the skills that are needed to get better. Fall in love with the weight room!

Embarrassing

Totally lost his mind. They played well against teams under 500 just like them. Face it, the team was horrible, too small, no aggression, and lack of team speed.

Look i was trying to give local teams credit i was totally drunkni guess

Supporter
Look i was trying to give local teams credit i was totally drunkni guess

Last night looked like San Angelo was playing against air. Ten yards easy every play but they could get more if they wanted. Looked like a Thursday walk through. Offense only crossed the 50 once against backups on a long pass.

So true, an embarrassment to 6A football. And they had guys laughing on the sidelines while getting their Guccis handed to them.

This is what happens when you have a head coach who only cares about offense. The first thing they ask when meeting middle school kids is what position on offense do you play. Last night's team has been getting their Butts handed to them ALL year on defense. Kids can't even tackle, or cover. It has been like this for many years now with the defense at Franklin, when will Walker pull his head out of the sand. I don't care if they care score 50 points on a regular basis because the other team will usually score 60. So tired of these poorly coached defensive units!!!!

Franklin is due for a coaching overhaul

Congratulations on a successfully season for making the playoffs, and despite losing in the first round to one of the top teams in Texas and the Nation. I'm sure it was a great learning experience for the team that will carry them into next season.

Tony Grijalva COME BACK all is forgiven.

Hmmmm
Tony Grijalva COME BACK all is forgiven.

Coach Brown COME BACK. Patrick Brown was the heart and soul of those 07-12 teams.

YOU CAN HAVE ANDERSON BACK!!!!!!
TAKE HIM!!!!...PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!

Dream team coaching staff...Brown head coach, Walker offensive coordinator, Anderson defensive coordinator lol

JustAfan
Dream team coaching staff...Brown head coach, Walker offensive coordinator, Anderson defensive coordinator lol

Dream team? More like a Nightmare team as neither Brown, Walker or Anderson has coached a El Paso team past the third round of the playoffs.

TheTruth
JustAfan

Dream team? More like a Nightmare team as neither Brown, Walker or Anderson has coached a El Paso team past the third round of the playoffs.

So let me guess...your dream team consists of the Canutillo coaching staff? Pretty sure this dream team consists of current or former Franklin coaches.

Again... you all can't seem to stop bringing up Canutillo then you all cry when we come to defend.

But, Franklin always has the talent and a huge pool of players to pick from. Maybe a change is needed.

Tdiddy
TheTruth
JustAfan

So let me guess...your dream team consists of the Canutillo coaching staff? Pretty sure this dream team consists of current or former Franklin coaches.

I do not live in the Canutillo region nor am I a graduate of Canutillo high school nor do I have family or friends in Canutillo nor do I own any land in Canutillo nor do I have a mistress in Canutillo. I'm TheTruth and I only speak the truth. Nothing more nothing less.

TheTruth

I do not live in the Canutillo region nor am I a graduate of Canutillo high school nor do I have family or friends in Canutillo nor do I own any land in Canutillo nor do I have a mistress in Canutillo. I'm TheTruth and I only speak the truth. Nothing more nothing less.

you only speak your ignorance. maybe some day you'll grow up & stop being a trollish entitled brat

Hey this is to all you Franklin fans, the title of this thread is (COUGARS ARE BACK) from where or where did they go.

TheTruth
JustAfan

Way to take the fun out of it....seems like every Coaching staff in the area is a nightmare as no one has gone past the third round except 2014 canuts.

JustAfan
TheTruth
JustAfan

Way to take the fun out of it....seems like every Coaching staff in the area is a nightmare as no one has gone past the third round except 2014 canuts.

Canutillo did it ONCE and all of a sudden you and a few others think Canutillo is a Texas powerhouse???

Yes we've done it once. All you have been is an embarrassment to the westside of El Paso the problem there at Franklin High School is the parents want to do the coaching on the sidelines and always want to tell the kids what to do but that is Franklin history all they do is cry cry and cry. They lost because the starters didn't play they lost because the quarterback is injured they lost because the other guy is hurt they lost because Mama didn't send them with lunch they lost because they didn't get their allowance they lost because the car had the lights on in the stadium and they couldn't see they lost because the referee doesn't like them they lost because because because because because. Well I'll tell you why you lose because there is fear in those kids those kids don't play with heart they're too busy about how they look instead of focusing on the other team so yeah again ,GO Take 5 years to rebuild and then come back. That is just food for thought.

There you go again with the Franklin stuff. What is it with you and this Franklin obsession of yours?

I will repost this post of mine again from the other thread as you possibly ignored it.

My Franklin cougars? What makes you think I have anything to do with Franklin. You must have a obsession with Franklin as I see that you keep bringing up Franklin in every post of your's to other people. You think everyone on the entire world wide web is from Franklin or has something to do with Franklin.

w w w . e p g r i d i r o n . c o m