​​​​​​​
EP GRIDIRON
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Top team this upcoming season for 5A?

Will Chapin, Eastlake and Del Valle still be the top teams this season? I think Bel Air can be a sleeper team and continue to improve from last year.

Re: Top team this upcoming season for 5A?

Eastlake will dominate again. Will be district champs and this time will go past the third round of the playoffs. Fear the Falcon

Melendez
Eastlake will dominate again. Will be district champs and this time will go past the third round of the playoffs. Fear the Falcon

I agree Eastlake will run the table.

Burges

#1 - Eastlake
#2 - Del Valle
#3 - Chapin
#4 - Bel Air
#5 - Andress

Why does everyone think Eastlake will run the table? They lost most of their O-line and their 2 wide outs. What do they have left? Chapin will be tops in 5A this year.

Juiced
Why does everyone think Eastlake will run the table? They lost most of their O-line and their 2 wide outs. What do they have left? Chapin will be tops in 5A this year.

What Eastlake has left is the best coaching staff in the city. Eastlake has been winning with little to no talent and it is because of the coaching staff. Real good coaches bring out the best in players.

Juiced

Juiced,

Looking at last years roster off of MaxPreps, Eastlake is returning 42 players from the end of season roster. Most should come back.

Of the 42, Eastlake is returning 2 starters on the O-line including Lazarin who earned District, City, and State Accolades. They are also returning a center that was their long snapper and who played a good amount of minutes in relief of the senior center.

At the end of last year they pulled up a good number (3?) of freshmen lineman that tipped the scales at 245+ pounds. So if the line gells, they will open up massive holes for Chavez. Oh, did I mention Chavez who gained 1,500 yards last year was coming back? They are also returning their QB Tarrango who threw for over 2,500 yards as a Junior.

They are returning Wilson their TE from last year as well as Avina, Carmona, and Granados. Wilson has size and the three others have speed. Finally, the wild card here is White, their 2nd string QB who has talent, can run the ball and might be put to better use in the offensive scheme than simply waiting his turn (he will be a junior next year).

And last but not least, the majority of the Defense is coming back. They were very young last year and were torched early on (and by Lake Dallas). But as the year wore on, these young'uns matured and should be very stout next year.

Eastlake will have a very good team next year. Can they go deep in the playoffs? That depends on their attitude and the hard work they put in. Something tells me they will do very well. FEAR THE FALCON!!

El Ferna great comment. You have given me additional hope for our Falcons this upcoming season.

First off I missed this site glad it's back and great breakdown as always El Ferna and as always Fear the Falcon!

Juiced

Besides what Our good friend El Ferna pointed out juiced if the chattering going around holds true !!! Chapin will be scrimmaging eastlake this year !!! So both teams will get a little taste of where they stand and how they measure up against each other !!! . I'll second El Ferna with a until then "Fear the falcon"

El Ferna
Juiced

Juiced,

Looking at last years roster off of MaxPreps, Eastlake is returning 42 players from the end of season roster. Most should come back.

Of the 42, Eastlake is returning 2 starters on the O-line including Lazarin who earned District, City, and State Accolades. They are also returning a center that was their long snapper and who played a good amount of minutes in relief of the senior center.

At the end of last year they pulled up a good number (3?) of freshmen lineman that tipped the scales at 245+ pounds. So if the line gells, they will open up massive holes for Chavez. Oh, did I mention Chavez who gained 1,500 yards last year was coming back? They are also returning their QB Tarrango who threw for over 2,500 yards as a Junior.

They are returning Wilson their TE from last year as well as Avina, Carmona, and Granados. Wilson has size and the three others have speed. Finally, the wild card here is White, their 2nd string QB who has talent, can run the ball and might be put to better use in the offensive scheme than simply waiting his turn (he will be a junior next year).

And last but not least, the majority of the Defense is coming back. They were very young last year and were torched early on (and by Lake Dallas). But as the year wore on, these young'uns matured and should be very stout next year.

Eastlake will have a very good team next year. Can they go deep in the playoffs? That depends on their attitude and the hard work they put in. Something tells me they will do very well. FEAR THE FALCON!!

El Ferna,

They are returning one starter on the line and he can be lazy at times (watch film on the skill payers and you'll see missed blocks, pulling without touching anybody and pass blocking for less than 2 seconds). Wilson I hear will be leaving out of state, Granados is too small to hold up a whole season and Avina will need to step up into a first option in the passing game. White is too slow, he can throw the ball well but this is why they started Tarango over him, not to mention his fumbling issues, where would they put him? TE? The other wide receivers left are tall skinny and slow not to mention unproven at varsity level. This leaves Chavez to run the ball 40 times a game or Tarango without wide receivers to help showcase his clutch end of game heroics to run for his life also. I do believe they have two of the best offensive weapons in the city (Chavez and Tarango) but nothing else left to help them. Good luck, but I don't see it happening this year. This is the Huskies year!

Juiced,

That is impressive. You seem to know Eastlake FB on a personal level and much better than this casual observer. So how does Chapin look like this year?

As Kingsrealm points out, if Chapin and Eastlake do scrimmage, then we will see if your observations pan out. Until then you know.....Fear the Falcon

El Ferna

juiced just sounds like a hater. Of course eastlake will be the best 5a this year with chapin and del valle right on their heels. calm down. they are pushing close to 6a numbers just like del valle and chapin hence the reason those schools are better then everyone. Stop having an axe to grind and give credit where it was due.

March Madness
#1 - Eastlake
#2 - Del Valle
#3 - Chapin
#4 - Bel Air
#5 - Andress

Yo March Madness I like your predictions except that of Chapin and Del Valle. I would switch those two. This is how mine looks almost similar to yours.

#1 Eastlake
#2 Chapin
#3 Del Valle
#4 Bel Air
#5 Andress

Looks good Rover, I hope Bel Air has a really good season, I have a nephew on the team (Gentry) at WR/KR who i think is pretty good had some big games for them last year as a junior and Ybarra at QB looked good last year as a sophmore with the playing time he got. And the top three teams last year look way ahead of everyone else.

El Ferna
Juiced,

That is impressive. You seem to know Eastlake FB on a personal level and much better than this casual observer. So how does Chapin look like this year?

As Kingsrealm points out, if Chapin and Eastlake do scrimmage, then we will see if your observations pan out. Until then you know.....Fear the Falcon

El Ferna

El Ferna

My nephew plays for Chapin, it just chaps me that they never get any respect out there. I have nothing but respect for Eastlake and the talent they are producing, I'm just the guy who likes to watch Hudle film on all teams and evaluate talent. My observation would be that other than Chavez, Tarango and Avina their options offensively have dwindled. Defensively they should still be slightly better than average, but not good enough on defense alone to be on top. Eastlake will scrimmage the new Pebble Hills High varsity team and play Chapin in non district. I wish nothing but the best for them, not a hater just an educated observer.

Juiced
El Ferna
Juiced,

El Ferna

El Ferna

My nephew plays for Chapin, it just chaps me that they never get any respect out there. I have nothing but respect for Eastlake and the talent they are producing, I'm just the guy who likes to watch Hudle film on all teams and evaluate talent. My observation would be that other than Chavez, Tarango and Avina their options offensively have dwindled. Defensively they should still be slightly better than average, but not good enough on defense alone to be on top. Eastlake will scrimmage the new Pebble Hills High varsity team and play Chapin in non district. I wish nothing but the best for them, not a hater just an educated observer.

Juiced,

It's all good...programs rise, programs fall. Just a short 3 years ago Eastlake could not buy respect on this board as they were still the new kid on the block that had been knocked around in their first year of varsity. But they had a real good 2013 season that led to even better 2014 and 2015 seasons. Thus many see that continuing in 2016 and possibly further into the future.

Chapin also has been successful locally ....and for many more years than Eastlake. So Chapin is accorded the proper respect that a good local HS program deserves. But what does it take to get them deep into the playoffs? What will Chapin have next year that will get them past the second round? Why do you see Chapin as the top team in El Paso 5A next year?

Looking forward to your analysis

El Ferna

If Ybarra is able to stay in the pocket just a little bit longer before running and find his WRs and TE's, i think Bel Airs offense could be something to watch out for. He's got some weapons he just needs to go through all his reads before running (noted: he has great vision when running, he makes big plays).

Sir Joe
Will Chapin, Eastlake and Del Valle still be the top teams this season? I think Bel Air can be a sleeper team and continue to improve from last year.

Chapin yes.
Eastlake yes.
Del Valle no.
Bel Air sleeper? No

w w w . e p g r i d i r o n . c o m