​​​​​​​
EP GRIDIRON
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
El Dorado Aztecs New HC Ruben Torres

I believe it was a great hire. Coach Torres will do very well for the Aztecs football program that in my mind has been underachieving for years. He will get El Dorado over the hump just wait and see.

Re: El Dorado Aztecs New HC Ruben Torres

What happened to once an indian always an indian?

EDHS_Aztecs
I believe it was a great hire. Coach Torres will do very well for the Aztecs football program that in my mind has been underachieving for years. He will get El Dorado over the hump just wait and see.

Like you I also think Torres was a great hire.I think he will get that ElDo program where it should be and that is state contenders every year.

Its great we got a new headcoach, unfortunately morale is low due to the rest of the coaching staff quitting because they didnt get the head coach job....many of our good coaches decided to leave because they felt they deserved the position....Its going to be tough this coming season but we have to adapt and overcome....Go Aztecs!

why the low morale were kids pulling for someone on staff to get the job. If so who........I do think that Althoff retired at the right time. The talent level is far from what it was last year.

supporter
why the low morale were kids pulling for someone on staff to get the job. If so who........I do think that Althoff retired at the right time. The talent level is far from what it was last year.

I don't think so. I think Althoff should have retired 4 to 5 years ago.

Yeah everyone here was pulling for Coach Veliz, our offensive coordinator.

Lamina
Yeah everyone here was pulling for Coach Veliz, our offensive coordinator.

Coach Scott Veliz's destiny lies someplace else and his journey may continue with the Midland Lee Rebels and from there who knows. Only the football gods know.

why wouldn't everyone be pulling for Coach Molina who has been there forever or Coach Gray Didn't they apply

Because no one here likes Coach Molina and Coach Gray isn't even a coordinator. Although, we were hoping that if Veliz didn't get it, then we hoped Gray would have. But, none of that matters now.

Hump????? They just won district. What hump?

Because they just onoy got 7 wins with the best talent in west texas. That hump im sire they are talking about. Unfortunately for coach torres its not the eldo it was. We will see. Teams usually slump with the opening of a new school. Only time will tell.

El Dorado should cruise through district but Franklin might be a little testy but El Do will come out on top.

Last night's 7 on 7 showing against Eastwood was pathetic. 43-13! And what is even worse, is I heard the Aztecs quit and didn't want to come back out after the lightning delay. I know its not real football, but we should be better than that. Players fighting with each other and throwing tantrums. No discipline at all. How does a division 1 commit have only one catch. This time last year we were preparing for the State 7 on 7 tourney. Coach Althoff will really be missed.

First of all its 7 on 7 which mean coaches not involve, oh wait coaches was involve for Eastwood, the senior utep commit Richie who wasn't suppose to be coaching in the first place according to the 7on7 rules. And D1 commit, only mean this kid will get the best players on him every game because of his D1 commitment, because they trying to get there shine too. So you sound pathetic, causes how long Althoff was with that school, before they finally won the 7on7 here last year by accident and won the District title by accident, question did not the starting Qb go down last year in the game against Eastwood, where was your favor Althoff then, of wait he was there on the side line looking lost. And was not Althoff coaching that same D1 kid that only had 400 yards in receiving last year, so I guess he will be truly missed

When your team is Ranked Preseason #1 and have the most highly recruited high school football player in all of West Texas jealous, envious, people will look for anything negative to say about this team and its highly recruited player and also the coaching staff.

El Dorado Aztecs welcome to the TOP of the barrel. Those beneath you are trying to climb up to the TOP where you currently are at.

There's a simple reason why El Do did not have a good showing vs Eastwood and why Hampton only had one catch....... El Do does not have a good passing QB. El Do fell behind early and all they tried to do was go deep every play and every pass was like a dead duck. Can't win or compete like that.

El Dorado needs a QB that"s at least 5'11" or taller. This QB does not need to be one who possesses speed. So long as he can register the plays and know how to throw a football that's it. Put Ced as tailback with Kev at fullback. So much talent everywhere QB does not have to be that great just tall, can pass, register plays, and history will be made.

I am curious to see what this new coaching staff can accomplish. I had 3 boys play for Altoff and 1 more playing for Torres. I appreciate what all the previous coaches did for my kids but I think it was way past time for a changing of the guard. Cedarius has played with my youngest since 7th grade and I am still amazed how quick he is. His arm strength is getting better. Remember, he is only going to be a junior people. I think he will do fine with all the weapons he still has around him and he can always just run for a TD if pressured.

As far as being a D1 commit sure your gonna get everuonea best game. That's part of it. A true star will shine anyway. 1 catch is unnacceptable. The new staff is in a bad situation. The team coming off a title and has a tough schedule. Now they are ranked 1 and if they achieve the title it will be well they had the best athletes......if they don't it will be oh well the coaches were terrible so they didn't get it done. No win situation. But yes 1 catch unacceptable. You better be ready to get everyone's best game.

....one catch...if this is true.....even for 7 on 7..which I believe is not a true barometer of tackle football....ONE catch is hard to grasp....not sure what happened there....

Unreal
....one catch...if this is true.....even for 7 on 7..which I believe is not a true barometer of tackle football....ONE catch is hard to grasp....not sure what happened there....

Like in the 7on7 tourney in the Spring Game Tyquez didn't have many tossed to him as well. It's not the season yet so calm yourselves down. As someone stated alot of you dads are just jealous and looking to find something negative to say about a student athlete who has a bunch of D1 love.

Folks brace yourself cuz I have some bad news for Aztec nation. Pebble hills opened last year and this is bad news for El Do's future, in that the talent in now being split up unlike the last few years where they had the most talent and which Altoff underachieved with (in my opinion). They have one or maybe 2 years left and they will tailspin. Their freshman team was horrible last year with most of the talent going to Pebble. I know for a fact there two feeder middle schools were bad last year and that equals another bad freshman team this upcoming season. Flash forward to two years from now and they will be a very average El Paso football team. At least that's my prognostication......

Eastside
Folks brace yourself cuz I have some bad news for Aztec nation. Pebble hills opened last year and this is bad news for El Do's future, in that the talent in now being split up unlike the last few years where they had the most talent and which Altoff underachieved with (in my opinion). They have one or maybe 2 years left and they will tailspin. Their freshman team was horrible last year with most of the talent going to Pebble. I know for a fact there two feeder middle schools were bad last year and that equals another bad freshman team this upcoming season. Flash forward to two years from now and they will be a very average El Paso football team. At least that's my prognostication......

LOL...You're a funny guy. The year is 2016.

Word of advice to you optimistic person and the rest of Sparta you should focus on 1 season at a time cause this season is going to be eating time for all 6A teams on Pebble Hills.

AztecEmpire
Eastside

Word of advice to you optimistic person and the rest of Sparta you should focus on 1 season at a time cause this season is going to be eating time for all 6A teams on Pebble Hills.

Ya your probably right....hey do you think the Spartans will get blown out really bad like 40-6 with the backups playing most of the second half?? You know, like the way the Spartan freshman killed the Aztec freshman last year. Or do you think they will be at least semi-competitive and make it like 25-14. You know, like the way the Spartan JV team beat the Aztec JV team last year. Hope your boy is a senior.....

Eastside
AztecEmpire
Eastside

Ya your probably right....hey do you think the Spartans will get blown out really bad like 40-6 with the backups playing most of the second half?? You know, like the way the Spartan freshman killed the Aztec freshman last year. Or do you think they will be at least semi-competitive and make it like 25-14. You know, like the way the Spartan JV team beat the Aztec JV team last year. Hope your boy is a senior.....

Like I said the year is 2016. Funny guy are you serious? Are you really bringing up freshmen and junior varsity in a Varsity message board? You really are optimistic. Good luck in your future that you want. LOL

I'm going to say it. The Aztecs will not make the playoffs.

.....daang!!!.....SUPPORTER going Nostra on us!!......lol
All I can say is.....AZTEC empire better eat up all the attention the star wideout is getting.....because like Nostra said....NO PLAYOFFS!!.....Americas, Franklin, Eastwood, Montwood.....the Aztec Empire eating Cheetos wondering what could of been....

LOAO!!!

Here is a harsh reality for you.

the team that won district (although only won 7 games last year)

Lost a lot of talent

under class was not good. JV was very bad and freshman too

Talent lost on varsity can not be replaced

no viable candidate for RB

QB arm not good enough to utilize the 2 weapons that the team does have.

new coach transition is tough no matter what

The new coach does not have a winning record (according to this site he is 20-22 as a head coach and that is in a bad bad district)

so I stand with my prediction.....it isn't hate just a prediction and my opinion. The Aztecs will be at home in November. A poor showing at 7 on 7 is not a good sign. Here are my game by game predictions

Eastlake Loss big
Frenship Loss Big
Lee Loss Big

District Play

wins vs. Socorro
wins vs. Pebble Hills
Win vs. montwood

Loss vs. Franklin
Loss vs. Coronado
Loss vs. Americas
Loss vs. Eastwood

my prediction is 3-7

and it gets worse after that. Talent is now at PH.....PH won't be good next year but eventually.

Supporter obviously you are a wishful thinker and that's a good thing absolutely nothing wrong with that but the reality is that El Dorado has the best and most talent on a team in all of El Paso, TX. Just be patient supporter and you will see this upcoming season. But supporter please don't let me or anyone stop you from your wishful thinking and your hope for your predictions to materialize. Keep posting your opinions because your posts are actually entertaining. When the regular season is all said and done we can return to these posts and hopefully you are still around this forum and do not change your username and man up to your wrongness. Aztecs 2015 District Champs and we will repeat this 2016 season!!!

I will be around and Im glad my post entertain you. This whole thing is meant to be entertainment. I do have to disagree with the most talent in the city. You guys have a great receiver returning. A 1 dimensional qb and a overhyped WR that had a lack luster year. Couple that with losing alot weak subvarsity last year and an unproven coach with a losing record. Now your right thats why we play the season. But I will repeat my opinion. THey don't make the playoffs. Learning experience for the new staff.

w w w . e p g r i d i r o n . c o m