​​​​​​​
EP GRIDIRON
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
Favorite Qbs

Without a doubt there will be some talent under center this upcoming season a majority have had legitimate varsity reps. Here a few kids I think will shine this season. ( no particular order )

1.Tarrango (Eastlake)
2.Saminago (riverside)
3. Ybarra ( Bel Air)
4.Barfield (el do)
5.Solis (Ysleta)
6.Fernadez (montwood)
7.white (Eastlake)
8.Ochoa (Eastwood)

Re: Favorite Qbs

1.Tarrango (Eastlake) lost too much talent that was around him

2.Saminago (riverside) on a team that plays with no heart and plagued with horrible coaching.

3. Ybarra ( Bel Air) is rattled easily by defenses and leaves the pocket as he rather run with the ball.

4.Barfield (el do) too short has plenty of speed, but the season is long and he will not last.

5.Solis (Ysleta) head coach is gone no need to say more.

6.Fernadez (montwood) solid qb but no receivers to throw to and to make matters worse coaching issues.

7.white (Eastlake) blah

8.Ochoa (Eastwood) blah

.....havent been on in a while......im not going to rate QBs....i will say...Americas, Franklin, Eastlake, El Dorado and Eastwood...are the top teams....sooooo...give me any of their QBs!!....interesting early take...."of course..,no particular order.."....not buying that for a second.........

Sparky

2.Saminago (riverside) on a team that plays with no heart and plagued with horrible coaching.

3. Ybarra ( Bel Air) is rattled easily by defenses and leaves the pocket as he rather run with the ball.

4.Barfield (el do) too short has plenty of speed, but the season is long and he will not last.

6.Fernadez (montwood) solid qb but no receivers to throw to and to make matters worse coaching issues.

7.white (Eastlake) blah

8.Ochoa (Eastwood) blah

Hater to the highest degree......dang uncle rico

Here is my list of favorite QBs to watch this season from (A-Z):

Cedarious Barfield (El Dorado)

Angelo Donatelli (Coronado)

Andrew Fernandes (Montwood)

Keith Tarango (Eastlake)

Justin White (Eastlake)

Side Note: My list only includes QBs that I've had the pleasure to see play over the last two years on JV/Varsity. They all have good qualities.

Great non hater post unlike the post earlier

Just a thought for everybody that's claiming Tarango doesn't have talent surrounding him this year !!!!!! I suggest you go check out eastlake play 7 on 7 .... Team is killing it so far !!! So obviously he has plenty of it....Will see how that progresses once the pads actually come on ... But the offensive fire power looking excellent right now !!!

Smh 7 on 7 lol.......

Supporter
Smh 7 on 7 lol.......

Don't let your head fall off supporter !!! Lol you might not be a big believer in 7on 7 competition but it will definitely give you a good indication if you have talented skill players or not !!!! Hence why I said hopefully that progresses and carries over when the pads come on !!! Because it's a different ball game after that .... never said it wasn't !!! . Just saying !!!!

My top abs would be

Donatelli (Coronado)

Barfield (Eldo)

Ybarra (Bel Air)

White (Eastlake)

I neglected to include Isaac Ybarra on my list because I wasn't sure which HS he attends. But now I see he's at Bel Air.

How is white on the list when he isnt the starter.

Supporter

White is an outstanding QB and can easily be the starter for any team in the city other than Eastlake. The kid can definitely throw the ball, he is just in a situation where the starting QB happens to have All District and All City accolades and is probably a D1 prospect. Hopefully he continues to get better when he comes in after Eastlake is up by 30 or more. If the discussion is about starting QB's, then no he shouldn't be on this list, but since it is about favorite qb's then he is near the top of many people's list.

Someone mentioned that Montwood QB Andrew Fernandez doesn’t have any WRs to throw the football to…well let me say that MW has a total of 6 WRs returning on Varsity this season including:

Tyreese Andrus – Soph
Andrew Concha – Jr
Robert Everett – Jr
Josh Garcia – Jr
Andrew Kaminski – Jr
Julien Perez - Jr

Not to mention two WRs moving up from JV:

Edward Garibay – Soph
Arturo Tury Ibarra – Soph

I'm probably missing a few more but the point is MW has a plethora of WRs on their roster for the upcoming season.

I remember JW from the EP city league 2013 Falcons (Majors) Little Bowl Champions and he's a good QB.

Rams
Someone mentioned that Montwood QB Andrew Fernandez doesn’t have any WRs to throw the football to…well let me say that MW has a total of 6 WRs returning on Varsity this season including:

Tyreese Andrus – Soph
Andrew Concha – Jr
Robert Everett – Jr
Josh Garcia – Jr
Andrew Kaminski – Jr
Julien Perez - Jr

Edward Garibay – Soph

I'm probably missing a few more but the point is MW has a plethora of WRs on their roster for the upcoming season.

Eastsider
Rams

Tyreese Andrus – Soph
Andrew Concha – Jr
Robert Everett – Jr
Josh Garcia – Jr
Andrew Kaminski – Jr
Julien Perez - Jr

Edward Garibay – Soph

Lmao!!!

Juiced
Supporter

White is an outstanding QB and can easily be the starter for any team in the city other than Eastlake. The kid can definitely throw the ball, he is just in a situation where the starting QB happens to have All District and All City accolades and is probably a D1 prospect. Hopefully he continues to get better when he comes in after Eastlake is up by 30 or more. If the discussion is about starting QB's, then no he shouldn't be on this list, but since it is about favorite qb's then he is near the top of many people's list.

Respect

Rams
I remember JW from the EP city league 2013 Falcons (Majors) Little Bowl Champions and he's a good QB.

He is a great kid I personally know him and his parents and watched him mature through the years. He was blessed with all the talent he had with the City Falcons to include Ivan Avina which he still has, don't doubt what Justin can do as he will surprise a lot of folks.

Montez-DV
Samaniego-riverside
Tarango-eastlake
Barfield- eldo
Donateli- Coronado
In no particular order

Gridiron guru
Montez-DV
Samaniego-riverside
Tarango-eastlake
Barfield- eldo
Donateli- Coronado
In no particular order

I like that list especially your Tarango selection

Re: Favorite Qbs-

El Paso is stacked with QB's in my opinion.

most of the kids on your list are underclassmen. WOW!! with many of those kids playing in 2-5A.

2-5A is going to be a great battle. I also like the kid from Franklin,

But here is my take on 2-5A:

Eastlake- two studs, pick your poison. stud QB's and RB's- deadly
Del Valle- Montez- Sophomore with a great future. has some senior weapons from old Tbirds.
Bel Air- Ybarra is only going to get better with full time work now that he doesnt have to share with coaches kid.
Parkland- Has a stud freshmen coming up, going to be a sophomore. actually have two but I think one is moving to a receiver.
Ysleta- Solis experienced QB- lost a stud receiver though. but still a threat, hopefully new coaches use him right.
Riverside- Samaniego is growing and will have better weapons. New coach hopefully will use him better. Needs some protection though.
Hanks- JV won district with a sophomore stud QB but senior QB is an interception machine and coaches pet. shame for Hanks.- defense will get lots of work.
Horizon- ehh average but has lots of speed to work with
Canutillo- I dont know much about them other than they keep bringing in good kids.

We have talent here in El Paso folks, here is my take on the top 5 QB's in El Paso:

1. Keith Tarango (Eastlake)-Easily the best QB in El Paso and a true D1 prospect, we should see a 3,000 yard season out of him this year and another deep playoff run.

2. Montes (Del Valle) - He will be in the same situation as Tarango in a couple of years as the top QB in El Paso and a D1 prospect just like his brother. He will suffer some growing pains this season but Coach Perales will know how to minimize the damage.

3. Andrew Fernández (Montwood) -don't ever count Montwood out of anything, there is plenty of talent on this team for Fernández to utilize, expect a solid 2400 yard season out of him.

4. Ybarra (Bel Air)- I have seen only highlights from this kid, there is some Internet hype about him, I'm not sure if it is self driven hype or real hype, either way his stage is now and he has to live up to it now. I see good dual threat capabilities from this kid.

5. Barfield (ElDo) - Barfield has some big shows to fill, he did a good job of filling them last year but so far in 7 on 7 he seems to suffer from can't hit a barn wall syndrome. Hopefully he realizes he has a D1 wide out on his team and uses him before it's too late.

Just my 2 cents.

thisthat
We have talent here in El Paso folks, here is my take on the top 5 QB's in El Paso:

1. Keith Tarango (Eastlake)-Easily the best QB in El Paso and a true D1 prospect, we should see a 3,000 yard season out of him this year and another deep playoff run.

2. Montes (Del Valle) - He will be in the same situation as Tarango in a couple of years as the top QB in El Paso and a D1 prospect just like his brother. He will suffer some growing pains this season but Coach Perales will know how to minimize the damage.

3. Andrew Fernández (Montwood) -don't ever count Montwood out of anything, there is plenty of talent on this team for Fernández to utilize, expect a solid 2400 yard season out of him.

4. Ybarra (Bel Air)- I have seen only highlights from this kid, there is some Internet hype about him, I'm not sure if it is self driven hype or real hype, either way his stage is now and he has to live up to it now. I see good dual threat capabilities from this kid.

5. Barfield (ElDo) - Barfield has some big shows to fill, he did a good job of filling them last year but so far in 7 on 7 he seems to suffer from can't hit a barn wall syndrome. Hopefully he realizes he has a D1 wide out on his team and uses him before it's too late.

Just my 2 cents.

Neither of those QB's you mentioned will sign with a Division 1 program. Just my 2 cents.

German Carrasco Bowie QB

Spitfire
thisthat

Just my 2 cents.

Neither of those QB's you mentioned will sign with a Division 1 program. Just my 2 cents.

Spitfire.

What facts bring you to your conclusion? Usually people backup their comments with a factual hypothesis. I'm interested to know your observations.

It was just my 2 cents no need to get your panties in a bunch. They are not D1 material. Neither one of them. Maybe D2 but absolutely positively forsure D3.

Spitfire
It was just my 2 cents no need to get your panties in a bunch. They are not D1 material. Neither one of them. Maybe D2 but absolutely positively forsure D3.

Your argument is not at all convincing, or statistically backed at all. But that's the beautiful part of this country, we all get to have our own opinions whether others like them or not, I don't like yours, I think you're negative and uninformed, but I respect your 2 cents.

The QB from Franklin will top them all.

EP Observer
The QB from Franklin will top them all.

QB from Franklin also is not D-1 material. Currently there are no QB's in EP that are D-1 caliber players.

The kid is college material, regardless of the level of football he plays. The chances of any kid going D1 is very slim for many. Not making it to that level is not a negative.

Spitfire did you play college ball or professional?

I also don't think any of them D1 but thats not saying they aren't good players

anybody know anything about the Chapin QB? I know the one from last year graduated. haven't been able to follow as much since I moved away from EP.

We lost a great qb last year in Mark and will be hard to replace his numbers. Regardless, we have a very good new qb at Eastwood. Many know him better from his baseball accomplishments, but this kid has played football for many many years. In my opinion he might be the top newcomer in all of El Paso.

I didn't get his name but I was very impressed with Franklin's QB at UTEP's camp yesterday. The kid is about 6'4" and in my opinion out-shined all of the QBs in the 1 on 1 / WR Vs CB drills

Also impressive were QBs: Tarrango (Eastlake) and Fernandes (Montwood).

WRs that stood out included:

Wolf - (Ex) El Paso High
Andrus - Montwood
Avina - Eastlake
Hernandez - El Dorado

Disclaimer: This just my opinion. Not all the QBs mentioned in this discussion were in attendance. Nor am I pretending to know all of them...my comments are strictly based on my own observations. QBs/WRs compliment each other...and there were several bad match-ups between them yesterday that may have disrupted their timing and accuracy. This is not to take anything away from any of the other QBs / WRs that were in attendance.

I have to give props to Eastwood came out and gave it to us tonight. Where did the Eastwood QB come from. In my opinion has to be in the top 5. Haven't heard anyone outside Eastwood give him any credit. Kid is real deal. Big mistake if u sleep on this kid easily top 5 in city. Have to agree with Eastwood fans kid can play.

eldo gan
I have to give props to Eastwood came out and gave it to us tonight. Where did the Eastwood QB come from. In my opinion has to be in the top 5. Haven't heard anyone outside Eastwood give him any credit. Kid is real deal. Big mistake if u sleep on this kid easily top 5 in city. Have to agree with Eastwood fans kid can play.

Would hate to jinx da kid, but he is an athlete no doubt. If he can convert all his skills fully to qb he just might end up in top 5. Good job and congrats TROOP!!

You rookie high school football supposedly experts. Real experts know not to put so much weight on 7on7. Montwood did very good last year on 7on7. Did they win district? NO. Did they win more than one playoff game? NO. So enjoy the 7on7 stuff but please do yourselves a favor and don't try to predict the regular season with what takes place in 7on7 much less what takes place in the Mickey mouse utep camp.

Never claimed to be an expert and didn't mention the 7 on 7 nor give any predictions on the high school season. But I've played and watched enough football to recognize a talented QB. I'm just saying everyone has ranked QBs. But haven't even seen how good Eastwoods Qb is. I've seen all the qbs listed in the top 10 play and from what i saw today from this kid really impressed me. He was accurate and has probably one of the strongest arms in 6a. Just saying dont sleep on him. With his arm in not surprised to learn he is already A D1 commit as a sophmore to Texas or Texas a&m for baseball not sure which. But i will Give credit when credit is due.

Eldorado also did very well in 7 on 7 and they did win district.....

Facts
Eldorado also did very well in 7 on 7 and they did win district.....

And they did lose in the first round of the Texas State playoffs.

Trooper Supporter
eldo gan

Would hate to jinx da kid, but he is an athlete no doubt. If he can convert all his skills fully to qb he just might end up in top 5. Good job and congrats TROOP!!

Thing is that he only plays football 4 months out of the year. He does baseball in spring and summer. He led the jv last year to an undefeated season and the only reason he didn't do varsity was because Torres was there. He is the real deal and he has a bright future ahead of him

Sparky

7.white (Eastlake) blah

8.Ochoa (Eastwood) blah

Com-on Sparky....ur lost.

1- Lopez- Eastlake
2- Ochoa- Eastwood
3. White- Eastlake
4. Samaniego- Riverside
5. Fernandez- Montwood

My Top Five Hands down.

fballfan
1- Lopez- Eastlake
2- Ochoa- Eastwood
3. White- Eastlake
4. Samaniego- Riverside
5. Fernandez- Montwood

My Top Five Hands down.
It would have been nice to have watched Lopez and Ochoa go at it, even if it is 7 on 7.

Canutillo is having a QB battle between Sr Daniel Alvarez and Jr Javier Arellano
I believe that the junior is the better choice as he has speed and a great arm

Javi Arellano is the better quarterback

not a top 5 pick but look out for little montez from del valle. kid can really sling it and has a playoff start as a freshmen

In my opinion these 3 quarterbacks are Division 1 Prospects and the main QBs to really watch for this coming season.

Keith Tarango * * * * *
Eastlake QB

Kaleb Hatch * * * *
Franklin QB

Aaron Samaniego * * *
Riverside QB

Other quarterbacks that almost made my Top 3 list but did not are:

Seth Ochoa * *
Eastwood QB

Andrew Fernandez *
Montwood QB