​​​​​​​
EP GRIDIRON
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
Recruiting

This topic is for parents willing to share their personal experiences with the recruiting process, and the steps they took to facilitate getting their son(s) a football scholarship?

Re: Recruiting

Boaz
This topic is for parents willing to share their personal experiences with the recruiting process, and the steps they took to facilitate getting their son(s) a football scholarship?

Make sure you take your son to camps all over the country. Make sure your sons video highlights are up on hudl. Make sure your son stays on top of his studies and gets good grades. Then hope for the best that a college recruiter calls. If no recruiter calls and your son really wants to play football in college he should walkon tryout to a college team of his choice and then hope for the best.

I agree.

Parents must take their kid or kids to camps. Camps are important in the recruiting process.

And yes the grades. Grades are very seriously important.

As you said highlights should be uploaded to Hudl with luck that recruiters visit the page and view the highlights.

Kid or kids need to also keep bringing their A game week in and week out during the season.

Call recruiters. Visit colleges if the recruiters ask you to.

That's my 2 cents on this topic.

First things first does your son already have a offer or offers? This is important because my list below can be seen, used, or taken differently because of an athletes current recruiting status.

#1 Great attitude. Majority of recruiters do not want a athlete with a horrible attitude. If a recruiter calls your high school coach he will most likely ask him about your son's attitude. Also are you the parent one who gets along with your son's high school coaches? In other words get along with the high school coaches. And be careful with your son's social media personal pages and what he posts on there. Recruiters might visit his page to gauge his attitude. It's all I will say about this.

#2 Good standing academic wise. Listen to teachers and hit the books plain and simple. Son needs to stay on top of his grades.

#3 Rate your son's skills 1 through 5 without being biased. Notice that I said skills not compare him to other athletes using statistics. I've seen athletes with horrible statistics receive scholarships and I've seen athletes with great statistics receive no scholarships. I've also seen all state and all city players receive no scholarships.

#4 Your son's high school coaches record the games for film review. Most coaches today upload their video directly to hudl.com. Athletes are able to get their highlights and make their own profile page in hudl. There are also a lot of websites on the internet like youtube and many others where you can upload your son's highlights and make a profile for him or hell tell your son to do it himself or both of you together. Do research first on the websites as some are free and some will cost you. Spread your son's highlights all over the internet as best you can. You never how recruiters might fish and search for athletes either at their office at the college or on their off time at home on their cell phone while out. Do not depend only on a hudl profile page.

#5 Attend camps. If your son is invited to one or some camps great but keep in mind only a few camps are legit and a lot and I mean a lot of camps are scams. Do your research before spending money and traveling with your son to camps in state or out of state. Be careful with camps it could make or break your bank not unless you're well off financial then losses here and there won't hurt you and your family. Do good research on the camps. When you find one or two or three legit camps and have the bank to take your son you will see where your son stands with other athletes and then you can go back to #2 and rate your son again and either decrease or increase his rating without being biased. There is a lot more I can say about camps but do the research and you will learn as you go. One last thing I will say about camps many parents and their sons found camps helpful in the recruiting process while many parents and their sons did not find camps helpful in the recruiting process.

I can go on about this topic but that's some of my opinions on the recruiting process. Good luck

Boaz

There are a bunch of high school coaches and people in general out there who think they know all there is to know about this subject. There are no experts out there on this subject matter because there are 100's of college recruiters throughout the country who think differently and are looking for different types of high school football players especially those types of players that fit their style of play both on offense and defense at the collegiate level. So those high school coaches and people in general out there who think they are experts on this subject of recruiting are not experts at all because all these so called experts have are opinions in the form of their advice that has worked for a few players but that same advice of theirs has failed players 100 to 1000 times more often. And there's no such thing as a "recruiting process" or steps to follow to ensure and guarantee a athletic scholarship. If there was indeed a recruiting process then every parent and their kid would be following this so called process and it would be an easy road to be awarded a scholarship. Experts on this subject do not exist so everything will be opinions and even that opinions are half a penny a dozen.

Good stuff ya'll but the first thing is to run questions by the high school student athlete.

Does the high school student athlete want to play football at the college level? Is he sure? Absolutely positively sure? 110%

College football is not for every high school football player. If fully offered or partially offered a scholarship or even as a walkon will the student athlete give up on the college coaches by quitting the team just because as a underclassman in college the student athlete is not getting enough or any practice or playing time according to his personal thoughts because in high school he was johnny badass?

Basically is the high school student athlete easily discouraged and a quitter?

The college life brings temptations that is if you hang around with the wrong college football teammates, or college student athletes, and the women oh and the women can't forget them as they are so dangerous or better yet man makes them dangerous as woman may lead college student athletes to wreck their college careers on the rocks with their sweet smell, beautiful face and lips and body, wonderful voice, luring the college student athlete to their college career doom. Yeah overly dramatic but so true and questions like these are important because playing college football in some games or as a starter is a dream and when realizing and achieving dreams one must endure and conquer adversity, temptations, all the challenges that comes along in college life especially as a collegiate athlete.

In high school players might be all stars the best on their team or in the city or state but in the college football world high school little johnny badass all stars will be just another joesmo alongside a lot of little johnny badass all stars.

College coaches are looking for the best athletes they can find. So, they reach out to a lot of them, talk to a few, and eventually offer scholarships to just a small fraction. This is known as the recruiting funnel.

Coaches start with a huge sample of recruits but narrow their scholarship offers down to very few. Even a phone call is no guarantee. Roughly 1 in 20 athletes that receive a phone call from a coach ever play for that coach.

That’s why understanding the funnel and knowing what you can do to make sure you stay in it greatly increase your chances of landing an athletic scholarship. You have to realize that nothing in the recruiting process is handed to you. But, just like on the playing field or court, hard work and determination can provide a big payoff.

How do you survive the funnel? Remember these key points.

•Realize that the recruiting process is a two-way street. It’s not just about coaches getting in touch with you, you also have to reach out to them. Make phone call and send letters and emails to coaches you want to play for. Coaches want athletes who take initiative.

•Stay humble. Remember that there are thousands of other athletes out there that are just as good or better than you. Make it a point to work harder than other athletes during the recruiting process.

An Example of the Recruiting Funnel in Football

•A college football coaching staff sends out 10,000 to 15,000 letters and they watch 1,000 to 2,000 videos.

•They make only 500 phone calls to potential recruits.

•They verbally offer between 65 and 200 scholarships and extend up to 85 offers for official visits.

•They finally only sign a maximum of 25 players each year.

A True Story About the Recruiting Funnel

Chris was a standout football player in high school and received plenty of letters and interest from college coaches. When he was a junior he noticed that his friends were making college visits, committing to schools and getting scholarships. But he wasn’t.

Chris didn’t know about the recruiting funnel, and he thought that the multitude of letters he was getting early in high school meant that he’d have a spot on a college football team waiting for him. He was wrong.

What did Chris do wrong? For one, he wasn’t proactive enough and didn’t express interest in schools by contacting coaches and sending letters. Also, he didn’t realize that he was just one of roughly 15,000 athletes getting the same letters from colleges.

The good news is that Chris realized his mistakes and went into high gear. He called and wrote as many coaches as he could and eventually landed a scholarship at Vanderbilt.

“Chris” is Chris Krause, the founder of NCSA. He now spends his life making sure that no athlete misses their chance the way he almost did. The recruiting process is tough to understand, but once you learn how it works, there’s no excuse not to make the right moves. (Source NCSA)

so which high schools do the best job of getting their kids to the next level.

supporter

It's not the high school coaches job to help kids get recruited and to the next level. It's the parents job to do that. If a high school coach does help then he should not be selective on specific players but help all the kids on his roster.

funnel. That's funny.

Let's see there are approximately 35,000 public secondary schools and approximately 15,000 private secondary schools.

Just think about those numbers for a while. Really think about it. Let it sink in. Within those numbers there are millions of high school athletes which means there are millions of highlight videos on college coaches desks, emails, and on websites all over the internet.

After you do that then think about the amount of scholarships a college coach can offer per year. PER YEAR!!!! They are limited. When you think about that then factor in all the secondary schools that are out there along with the private ones and millions of student athletes enrolled.

funnel LOL. That NCSA website and the many others like it on the internet are just full of opinions. It's all opinions no matter what the experience one went through. Still opinions no matter how you spin it.

There is no recruiting process.

Like I said many so called experts out there. lol

If parents do not have the extra money to take their son to camps the son is at a disadvantage but honestly not really by much. For example a player that I was teammates with at Riverside did NOT attend any camps. All he did was send his highlights and made phone calls and that was that. He ended up getting a scholarship to LSU and helped them win National Championships. His name was Shawn Jordan Riverside Rangers. People you just never know. Getting recruited and offered is the luck of the draw. A college recruiter liking you and offering you is like hitting the lottery. But yeah sure anything helps like going to camps and making profiles but in the end it's all about the college recruiters happening to see your highlights and liking you and calling you. Keep in mind that before the internet high school players where still being offered. There were no profiles and no hudl or recruiting websites. Don't rely on camps, hudl and recruiting websites. It's all the luck of the draw. If your son was offered right away in high school then your son hit the lottery and one of the lucky ones.

Bust your tail in the classroom, at practice and at games and let your grades and game do the recruiting for you and hope the stars above in heaven are aligned in your favor and you are one of the lucky ones to be noticed and offered.

Thousands upon thousands of athletes have uploaded highlights on hudl.com and thousands upon those thousands of highlights are not viewed by recruiters.

Thousands upon thousands of athletes go to camps and thousands upon those thousands of athletes are not looked at much less even thought about by recruiters.

Buster has spoken

Getting a full ride is no easy task. Those athletes that receive one or several offers before their junior or senior season begins are the fortunate ones for many reasons. Some reasons could be

A) the athlete's parents know a college coach or coaches who are like family and family will take care of each other.
B) the athlete has a family member(s) who played college or pro ball and they use their last name to their advantage in his recruiting which often gets them that full ride.
C) the athlete might not have much football skills but his speed, height and weight give him an advantage compared to a athlete with lots of skills but does not have the attributes.

Then there are the less fortunate ones who have to do all they can do to compete in trying to get noticed against those fortunate ones that I stated above. Like attending lots of camps with hopes of being noticed by someone and that someone tells a college recruiter about him, creating profiles on websites and uploading highlights with hopes a college recruiter views them, trying to call and email college recruiters with hopes to get their attention, hope hope hope and this works for a small percentage of athletes but lots and lots and lots and lots of more skillful and way better athletes fall through the cracks and go way under the radar.

Hmmmm I wonder if there are any strong healthy young men wanting to be recruited and go to battle with me. I apologize for my thinking out loud please proceed.

supporter

Helping high school football players to be recruited is not a high school coaches responsibility.

is this the true feeling of el paso that it is not part of the coaches responsibility. Because it is. Maybe thats why it seems that certain schools have more players get recruited.

Well I’m not going to claim to be an expert … or guarantee that by following these steps your student athlete will be offered a scholarship or a partial one, but I’ll share my personal experience and knowledge on the subject matter. And hopefully it will eventually help and be of great use to somebody. I’m going to keep the subject matter to D1 and D2 schools seeing those are the two divisions that actually offer athletic scholarships. However this is the true reality when it comes to scholarships….about 2 percent of high school athletes are awarded athletics scholarships to compete in college. This small number means high school student-athletes and their parents need to have realistic expectations about receiving an athletic scholarship to play sports in college. Academic, not athletic, achievement is the most reliable path to success in life. With that said here we go!!!!
Step 1: Register you student athlete with the NCAA Eligibility Center. In order to receive a scholarship at the D1 or D2 Level, you will need to register and be cleared by the NCAA center. It is best to create your student athlete account by the start of your junior year. The process is self-explanatory on how to go about it and what your student athlete will have to do throughout the year to meet the NCAA requirements. Cost 70 dollars
Step 2: Register your student athlete with either The Act or SAT college board. This is a make or break for a lot of student athletes you need to get the highest score possible, the higher the score the more doors you can open. You will find available test dates and location on each respective website, so make sure your student athlete is prepared before taking either test as the scores will determine and make a big difference down the road. Most High Schools offer the ability for the student athlete to prepare for these two tests as an actual class elective, so make sure your student athlete registers for it. Personally I would have them register at the start of their junior year. And please take note just because you’re cleared through the NCAA does not mean you can get into a certain school. Make sure you check the school academic requirements. You can do this by going to their website and checking admission requirements. It will list GPA needed and or SAT / ACT score requirements for acceptance. Cost per test approximately $54.50 per test give or take.
Step 3: Now for the big question……… is my student athlete D1 or D2 material? As parents I think we all think our kids are Division 1 material… however your just going to have to keep things in perspective and keep them very real .This will give you the best chance in trying to land a scholarship and not waste your time going through endless paper work when your student athlete doesn’t meet the pro quo status of that particular college your student athlete might be interested in. Best way to gauge this is to look at the colleges Roster. And compare your student athlete with the type of players that schools recruits, not only do they have film on players they previously recruited and gave scholarships too. But they will also have physical measurable in their existing roster such Size, weight, height on every given position. You can then compare how your student athlete measures up to that available information... This will give you a good indication if your student athlete meets the size and athletic ability that they are normally looking for and recruit.

Step 4: So now that you have a little bit of knowledge in your hands now what? This is where all the work begins … I would recommend not waiting to do this any later than the summer before the start of your junior year otherwise the earlier the better but keep in mind that college coaches cannot call or email you until July 1st after the start of your Student athletes junior year per NCAA rules . This however doesn’t mean you can’t email, call or contact them….so the sooner you get this process started the better. Waiting until you’re a senior to start the recruiting process is a big mistake unless you’re a blue chip player ….. This will not only limit your possibilities in landing a scholarship but almost take it to a non-existence state, because the majority of college coaches have already been following and recruiting kids before they get to their senior season. D2 scholarships however have a little more leg way seeing college coaches have more partial scholarships to give out.. But your student athlete shouldn’t wait until the last minute either way to have the best chance possible.
Step 5: So how to start …. Create a profile of your student athlete..... Things to include would be Student Athlete’s name on top as the page header, on left hand margin you can include some of the following information that is seen on left hand going down vertically see sample below.. And a picture to the right you decide what works for you.. You can add bench press, Squat, and 40 yard time if you wish to do so just keep profile easy for the coaches to read at a glance.
Student Atheletes Name
Class of “fill in year “

Address: “ Student atheletes mailing address”

Email Address:
“ Student Athelete email Address “ “ Student Atheletes picture”
Phone : Make sure coaches can see
“ Students Athlete contact number “ And recognize student athletes face
School Name & Address:
“ “
Head Coaches Contact info:
“Coaches Name”
“Coaches Email Address”
“Coaches Phone number
Jersey # “ student athletes Jersey Number”
Position: “ Student athletes position “
Height: “Student atheletes real height “
Weight: “ student athletes weight”
GPA: “Students athletes GPA”
Class Rank: “ Student Athletes class rank “
Honors: “ Any sport or academic honors student athlete has received”
“Year” season Highlights
“ link to hudl highlights “
Step 6: Best way to search for colleges is to go to internet and search for List of NCAA division 1 FCS football programs or List of FBS football programs for D1. List of NCAA Division 2 Football programs for Division 2. You will be presented with teams name, mascot, City, State and conference among other things. Once you click and selective a college you will have the college information normally to the right hand side of the page it will have the website link to the college towards the bottom. Once you click the link it will take you to the colleges website.

Step 7: Now that you’re at the college’s website what do I do here you ask yourself? Here is where you will do a little research and find things like what kind of Degrees the college offers, the academic requirements you’ll need to get accepted into the college, and a lot of more useful information. But if you’re press for time and you just want to get your recruiting started here is where you will get all the necessary information to start contacting coaches and start making yourself visible... First thing to do is fill out the Prospective Student –athlete form you will normally find this under the athletics tab you just need to go through the different tabs to find it sometimes they can be hard to find but with practice you will eventually get used to it. This will put your student athlete under the college’s database where coaches can search for possible prospective student athletes that want to play sports at their school. Next you will need to search for the football coach’s email and phone number you can usually find this in the team roster just click on the coaches name and it will give you their information. Sometimes this information isn’t available for D1 Head coaches so find the recruiters information, your position coach’s info or assistant head coach to email and or call. Other place that you can try and locate information is to look in the faculty and staff directory for that information it will normally be under the athletics directory. Again just click on the coach’s name or you’ll see their information to the right or somewhere close by.

Step 8: This next step is where you as a parent need to step away…… coaches want to get to know your student athlete not you. So this is where the student athlete starts to open up communications with the coaches. They should write a short little summary about themselves….. This should Basically contain the school he attends what position he plays, where the school he attends is located…a little school history.. How long he’s been playing, mention some of his accomplishments and accolades and why he’s interested in playing for the college coaches team. Just make sure you address the coach by his First and Last name it will show you took the time and have enough interest to know who he is. Most colleges will have a recruiter you can email and call or contact but personally I would also email the assistant coach or your position coach as well doesn’t hurt to do so. Make sure you attach your athletic profile to the emails your sending the coaches and let them know that you’re doing so. You might want to include a link to your highlights towards the end of this short letter and ask him if he thinks you would be a good fit for their football program based on your film… also mention you have filled out the prospective student athlete form and that your looking forward to hearing from him on any feedback he might have for you. If you’re going to include other forms of communication where the coaches can follow you or contact you please make sure you keep those accounts respective… it’s amazing what some people post on their personal pages these days… after a week or two you can follow up with the coaches to see if they received your email and start opening verbal communications from there..

Step 9: Camps……. My personal opinion is that if you’re an elite athlete they can definitely get you noticed, They can also be a good reliable source that coaches will look at to make sure your measurable are what you say they are… otherwise pretty much it’s a cattle call.. Only the top performers will likely get noticed at these camps… so if you going to take a shot at them don’t make the mistake of going there unprepared…Make sure you’re in best shape possible… most camps test you on the following…. Your 40 yard speed , shuttle , Powerball and vertical jump.. Make sure you practice and train for this, it does require technique as well as raw talent and ability.. You can YouTube most of these test and find ways to improve your speed and perfect the techniques that will eventually help you get better performance scores…it beats showing up to a camp and not performing well because you haven’t trained on what your about to get tested.. Now if you have the money… go to as many camps as you can afford… If your limited in funds … Nike has the opening that’s free just google site to find information on dates and location and register for it however you will have to pay your own way there…. We also have the NMSU and Utep Camp so nothing is lost if that’s all you can afford .. what I would recommend you do is if you can’t afford to go any further then Utep or NMSU get your measurable scan them or take a picture of them and email them to the coaches your starting to contact and just let them know you want went to these camps and wanted to share your performance measurable with them give you another excuse to stay intouch.

Step 10: What to expect after all the work is done…. Make sure you keep track and a log of the colleges and coaches you have contacted keep the college coaches information next to the school names … it’s easy to forget what coach belongs to what school if you don’t right this down and start sending your info to a lot of colleges.. after that Well it will pretty much a waiting game after this point… you might get invites to camps from the college coaches you emailed or have been talking to from time to time … Does this mean you’re being recruited not likely but it maybe be a possibility … but pretty much they want to get as many kids to their camps as possible because it’s extra money for them in the off season …Just make sure you keep the opened communication with them up but don’t be pesky … just keep yourself in their radar let them know you will be sending them updates as your season goes along and do so… keep in mind that they will eventually be busy themselves… so just keep sending those emails and updates and filling those prospect student forms and hope for the best and just maybe you will either get an offer right away or hopefully when it’s all said and done you will get that call and be asked to make an official visit to their campus…… at that point !!!!! You are being recruited… Just be respectful and professional when you make the visit … Good luck !!!!!! And hope my information helps somebody out!!!!! And remember if you do ever get to the next level pay it forward ……. Keep the El Paso athletes in mind and tell the teams you now play for that there’s plenty of talent left in El Paso to come back too… Peace out!!!!!! And again Good Luck!!!!!

Good job Kingsrealm.

Like you said the key is to start early (at least by beginning of junior year). I just went thru this the past two years and I must say I got a very late start on my first kid (not till his senior season did we start looking at all this stuff)and ended up playing catch up. I guess I was expecting the coaches to do the majority of the work and makes the calls...boy was I wrong. It really left a sour taste in my mouth the first time around and really frustrated. The second time around I kind of knew what to expect for my second boy....

Couple of things also. Make sure you get your financial aid stuff in order (parents tax info - FAFSA) and also the kids transcripts. Get those sent out to the schools they are looking at asap to start the ball rolling on admission, possible financial aid and academic scholarships. Truth of the matter is the D2 schools have limited athletic scholarships available and they try to split those up as much as they can to as many kids as they can and rely on the financial aid and academic scholarships to "cover" the rest for the kids.

So again out coaches aren't helping our kids. Honestly i heard that's why gunner Romney left franklin. It just doesn't seem to make sense.

Supporter
So again out coaches aren't helping our kids. Honestly i heard that's why gunner Romney left franklin. It just doesn't seem to make sense.

How many times do people have to tell you that it's not the high school coaches responsibility to help in the recruiting process for the 40 to 60 players on their roster every year. Parents must understand this before they become disgruntled parents towards the coaches about subject.

Stan
Supporter

How many times do people have to tell you that it's not the high school coaches responsibility to help in the recruiting process for the up 40 to 60 players on their roster every year.

why is it not? Obviously there are coaches that make it a point to get their kids recruited. hell if I had kids thats where I would take them. You guys that think it isn't a coaches responsibility take your kids to those coaches. The most important cog in the recruiting wheel is the HS coach.

High school coaches that do help hopefully they are helping the 40 to 60 players on their roster each year not just a couple of them.

And if high school coaches do help kudos for doing something for the players that is not on their job description and receive no extra pay on their salary for doing so.

Stan
High school coaches that do help hopefully they are helping the 40 to 60 players on their roster each year not just a couple of them.

And if high school coaches do help kudos for doing something for the players that is not on their job description and receive no extra pay on their salary for doing so.

It is absolutely their job to help all the players. It is absolutely their job to market their kids to universities and network with these coaches to get their kids looked at. Maybe that is the problem because these coaches don't help their kids. Maybe that is why El Paso is under recruited. This topic has shed a lot of light on the subject.

Once again it is not the high school coaches responsibilty. For example just as it's not the responsibilty for teachers to call, email or drive over to parents homes each evening to make sure their sons and daughters are studying and doing their homework. I can give more examples but you should understand if you do not then you are one of those disgruntled parents out there who wants others to take on the parents responsibilities.

Stan
Once again it is not the high school coaches responsibilty. For example just as it's not the responsibilty for teachers to call, email or drive over to parents homes each evening to make sure their sons and daughters are studying and doing their homework. I can give more examples but you should understand if you do not then you are one of those disgruntled parents out there who wants others to take on the parents responsibilities.

I agree.

Not the HS football coaches duty to put in overtime with no pay by assisting the athletes each and every season with the recruiting process like in uploading videos, calling and emailing college coaches.

Stan your teacher example is solid right spot on. Not the Teachers duties to check up on their kids at their home and help them open their books, lift the pen or pencil, and turn off the tv, games, and cell phones and not stay out late on school nights.

I think you guys are taking it a bit to the extreme but I can see it both ways. First of all, realistically, there is maybe a handful of kids on each team (seniors) that have the skills or desire to play at the next level. So saying that the coaches has to help out 40 to 60 kids is exaggerating. Besides, there are multiple coaches (one for each different position) so a specific coach only has to help promote the kids that played for him at certain positions and all the other asst. coaches can do the same thing. These kids bust their butts for these coaches for 4 years to help the school and coaches receive all the accolades and recognition that go along with winning District, making the playoffs, getting the local media attention, etc. The coaches do get paid for being coaches, which is in addition to their salary for teaching. That is the career choice they made so if they don't want to put in the time then they shouldn't do it. You mean to tell me that they can't pick up the phone and make a few calls or send a few emails. College coaches are more willing to talk to a coach than a kid or parent anyways. It takes a few minutes not all of their free time....typical El Paso mentality...I'm just doing it for the extra check while doing as little as I can....

It is very easy to see which coaches around town do in fact help out their players just by seeing which kids from certain schools in town get some type of scholarships....

Aztec Papi but if HS football coaches only help out 1, 2 or 3 of their kids because of size, weight, skills, or what have you then you will have a mob, swarm, of angry parents breathing down the coaches face and shouting and screaming why not my kid WTF. The favortism card will be played at the coach. The irony of this is that right this moment maybe some coaches are assisting players who they think are next level caliber material players or potential elites. HS school football coaches might be helping 1, 2 or 3 of their players every year but the other kids on the team and their parents do not know that a couple of players are getting special treatment.

I'm not saying the coach has to do everything for the kids but he definitely needs to help out anyway he can. It has to start somewhere. If the coaches never make any calls or send any emails then the recruiters will never come to the school to visit and see what talent there is to offer. I know for a fact that a couple of recruiters stopped by Eldo this past year because they were told by other coaches around town to go check out some of the talent over there while the recruiter was visiting these other schools...

I know exactly what you mean about the special treatment. It has been going on since the beginning of time...the coach is always going to play favorites with the players that will get the coaches name in the paper or on TV...that's just the way it is and shame on the coaches that do that....

And of course parents are also always gonna think that their "mijo" should be playing every play of the game on both sides of the ball and scoring 5 TDs a game...that's just the way it is also...

Come on Aztec Papi. You want HS football coaches to call or send emails to college recruiters on behalf of a athlete and his parents? I mean don't get me wrong many HS football coaches throughout the country more than likely do it but is it fair to the other players and their parents who are not being helped? I understand there are way more taller and skilled athletic players than others but is this right? Again parents whose kids are not being helped will raise hell if they were to find out.

Can't be selective. This is high school and there are rules. I don't know all the rules but I'm sure you can't single out a couple student athletes assist them and ignore the many others not assisting them. Just not right UIL won't condone that selective favoritism behavior in my odd ball opinion.

Aztec Papi and it's not that I disagree. I see your point that you are making but like I said if HS football coaches help a couple of athletes and ignore the many others that's a NO NO and it won't fly not unless the HS football coach or coaches are able to keep their activities secret and under wraps in and not tell anyone what they are doing for specific athletes so that angry parents whose kids are not being helped will not rise to oust him.

And yes that is great that when a college recruiter or recruiters happen to come to a high school here in El Paso the HS coach or coaches should siege the opportunity to speak up and point out other athletes on their team and in the city. That I totally agree with you.

Anyways the recruiting subject is like politics and religion it will go back and forth forever. And yes ofcourse teachers and coaches can do more for their students and student athletes but come on as it is they believe they are under paid and well they have families to go home to who also are in need of their time.

Nice reading I feel like I learned a lot and like I didn't. Weird.

Rules? We talking about rules.... (stealing that from Iverson)...There aren't any rules in El Paso. The School Districts place some of these coaches on pedestals that no one can touch...As far as the UIL, they are like the rest of Texas...they don't even know El Paso exists.....

Look at some of the other topics in here. People in El Paso are getting all excited about finally getting turf fields or the new Jumbotron at the SAC or uniform deals with Nike & Under Armour. While the rest of Texas is getting excited about $60 Million HIGH SCHOOL Stadiums, NFL quality HIGH SCHOOL INDOOR practice facilities and have had uniform deals for ten plus years already and tell me those coaches in those school districts aren't reaching out to colleges for the kids. At the same time they are also helping themselves by opening future college coaching jobs for themselves while the coaches here in El Paso are just content to play musical chairs and bounce around the city from school to school for 30 years and then retire.....

Aztec dude it's easy to compare districts in El Paso to districts in the entire State of Texas that are doing great things and make El Paso look bad. That's not a fair fight. Atleast compare El Paso to Clint, Monahans, Odessa, Lubbock or even Midland districts but dude putting up districts in El Paso against districts from the entire State of Texas? Ofcourse districts in El Paso will look bad. Oh sure there are way better districts in the State of Texas than districts in the city of El Paso that's a no brainer doesn't take a genius to say and post that but districts in El Paso are also better than some districts throughout the State of Texas. El Paso is a city not a State.

You can't put a city in the ring against the entire State and have a who's better brawl. What you get to pick and choose any district in the entire State of Texas that is doing great things and compare it to districts in El Paso? Seriously?

Stop being a El Paso hater and do something to make it better instead of saying everything outside of El Paso is better.

Maybe that came out wrong. By no means am I putting down El Paso as I have lived here my whole life and am a proud El Pasoan from El Chuco. Just trying to make a point. El Paso is way behind the rest of the state in everything, not just sports, which is why the recruiters go elsewhere before coming here and the coaches not trying to reach out and help the kids isn't helping any which is the topic we are talking about....

Aztec Papi
Maybe that came out wrong. By no means am I putting down El Paso as I have lived here my whole life and am a proud El Pasoan from El Chuco. Just trying to make a point.

I understand your point but it just ticks me off whenever someone says something negative about El Paso and when they say that negative something they compare El Paso to other great cities to justify their way of thinking instead of them comparing El Paso to all the other cities throughout the State and country that El Paso is actually better than.

The problem is that El Paso is a great and wonderful city and it can be greater and more wonderful hence why it's often pinned up and compared to top cities rather than pinning El Paso up versus not so great and wonderful cities. There you have it in a nutshell.

ProudElPasoan
Aztec dude it's easy to compare districts in El Paso to districts in the entire State of Texas that are doing great things and make El Paso look bad. That's not a fair fight. Atleast compare El Paso to Clint, Monahans, Odessa, Lubbock or even Midland districts but dude putting up districts in El Paso against districts from the entire State of Texas? Ofcourse districts in El Paso will look bad. Oh sure there are way better districts in the State of Texas than districts in the city of El Paso that's a no brainer doesn't take a genius to say and post that but districts in El Paso are also better than some districts throughout the State of Texas. El Paso is a city not a State.

You can't put a city in the ring against the entire State and have a who's better brawl. What you get to pick and choose any district in the entire State of Texas that is doing great things and compare it to districts in El Paso? Seriously?

Stop being a El Paso hater and do something to make it better instead of saying everything outside of El Paso is better.

That is so true. It's like when high school Sports Writers, Reporters, and Commentators in east Texas talk bad about high school football teams and players in El Paso but they use top high school football teams in attempt to make points in their argument or opinion. They use the whole state of Texas, and search successes of certain districts, successes of certain high schools, successes of certain coaches, then use that carefully chosen arsenal and fire it at the city of El Paso attempting to make it look bad.

Majority of El Pasoans are unappreciative. For example they cry because there's no gigantic amusement park like in other cities and complain by crying a freaking river that there is nothing to do in El Paso. Instead of looking at other big cities with gigantic amusement parks and rather compare El Paso to cities where there really is nothing but endless emptiness. My other example is they cry about UTEP football not winning conference and bowl championships like other teams and that UTEP football does not sell out all their home games. Instead of crying about that compare UTEP to other college football teams that can't even win 1 to 3 games and never been to bowl games and barely get 200 to 500 fans at their games. One final example are parents in El Paso who have sons in high school football. They complain and cry a river about the booster clubs and how they don't do more for the team but practically all those parents are not part of the booster club and do not support in some way. I can go on but you get my drift. Majority of El Pasoans are unappreciative.

Hmmmm seems like some chaps veered off course. Their navigation system must be malfunctioning. I thought this was a recruiting topic. I apologize for my thinking out loud please proceed.

all these recruiting experts and still only a handful of kids are getting out lol. Maybe yall aren't experts. And yes it is on the coach, and I would only want my kids to play for a coach that networks and gets his kids looked at. Bottom line is most coaches don't, and the bottom, bottom line which is the hardest to swallow is............only a handful of kids in the city are good enough to play at the next level. It hurts to hear and say but thats the reality. So yes the coaches should work their butt off for the kids that do have the ability to play at the next level.

supporter
all these recruiting experts and still only a handful of kids are getting out lol. Maybe yall aren't experts. And yes it is on the coach, and I would only want my kids to play for a coach that networks and gets his kids looked at. Bottom line is most coaches don't, and the bottom, bottom line which is the hardest to swallow is............only a handful of kids in the city are good enough to play at the next level. It hurts to hear and say but thats the reality. So yes the coaches should work their butt off for the kids that do have the ability to play at the next level.

The recruiting process is not on the coaches. How many times do people have to tell you this? Be a dad, mom, or whatever you are and go out be active and help the athletes throughout the city of El Paso to be recruited being that you care so much about it. And don't be offended by this post of mine. It's just that you keep repeating yourself over and over again and it's becoming annoying like a broken vinyl record.

Do something about the recruiting of kids throughout El Paso yourself and I wish you luck.

the only people that can do anything about it are the coaches. A parent can not pick up a phone and call a college coach or email them. They will get no response if their kid isn't a 5 star recruit. and if their kid is then trust me they are being recruited already and don't need mamma and pappa to call for them. You guys don't know much. Coaches are the key to getting kids recruited ask any college guy. and Yes the program your kid plays for matters as well.

supporter
the only people that can do anything about it are the coaches. A parent can not pick up a phone and call a college coach or email them. They will get no response if their kid isn't a 5 star recruit. and if their kid is then trust me they are being recruited already and don't need mamma and pappa to call for them. You guys don't know much. Coaches are the key to getting kids recruited ask any college guy. and Yes the program your kid plays for matters as well.

You sound like one of those so called experts. You should do something with that genius mind of yours and help athletes throughout the city of El Paso because it seems like you care about this subject so much. Don't let that genius of yours towards this subject go to waste. Use your god given gift of the recruiting process and do good don't rely on anyone else like coaches to fight the fight. Fight the good fight yourself. And again good luck to you

Coaches are the key but many don't make the time to market their players. Today's recruiting is much different when I played college ball. The parents play the biggest role in getting their kid on a college radar. Your kid will not get recruited if the colleges do not have film. Coaches are not hanging around high schools like back in the day. They don't have time for that. The athlete and parents will have to develop highlights, recruiting website, and communicate with college coaches. As the parent, you have to be aggressive in the process. If you rely solely on the high school coach, that can be disastrous. I was my son's "agent." From the 10th grade thru 12th, we had a recruiting plan. The attendance of multiple college camps, Specialty Camps (FBU), West Coast College Showcases, we were able to get on a few college radars. It all work out for my son. He signed and the school really came thru for him. Bottom line is it starts with the kid. If he is willing to put in the hard work in the off season to get better, he has a great chance. If he has it in his heart, that should fuel his work ethic. If he has a good grades, he increases his chances. As the parent, be realistic with your kid. At some point, you have an idea where he stands in reference to his athletic and physical abilities. If your kid is a WR or RB and runs a 5.0 40 yrd dash, he will not be a D1 or JUCO recruit. The same applies if he is a DL that weighs 180 lbs. Not everyone is a D1 athlete. Be realistic with them. D1College coaches will not entertain a kid who cannot perform in the class room. Many kids think they get better by participating in country club weight lifting (15 minute work outs and then look at themselves in the mirror) and sitting around the house. That won't get it. They must fall in love with the weight room, constant football training, and conditioning. Parents need to educate themselves on the process and push the kids. From my experience, once my son told me he wanted to play college football, that was when I began investing the dollars to get him to the right camps. We started the process late when he was a 10th grader. I recommend starting as early as middle school. I also recommend to take your kid to camps outside of Texas to see the competition in other states. Many local kids are the stars of the city, but when they go to compete against outside competition they see they are not as fast or talented as they thought. They need something to measure themselves other than the local talent. In the end, you want your kid to go to college for free education. Regardless of the division level, college football is a big accomplishment. There are only a few who receive offers vs those who get an offer.

The key is getting exposure. You get that through going to the one & two day camps at the big schools as a Soph/Jr. That is why the NCAA satellite ruling was so huge. The big schools invite the smaller school coaches to those camps. 300-400 kids show up at say Georgia for camp. Maybe 50 are serious targets for the Bulldogs. The rest get exposure to the non-BCS D-1, 1-AA, D-2 schools while at that camp. They are typically low cost camps.

Understand, as a player or parent, these camps are recruiting tools more than they are teaching camps. They sty very basic and want to see kids move, react, throw, cover, etc. Every second of every drill is an evaluation. If you are injured, don't go to camp until healthy. Pick 6-7 camps if you can afford it. Talk to your HS coach to get an idea of where you fit (D1, I-AA, D2) and be realistic. If you are a 5'10" LB that runs a 5.0, the Longhorns and Aggies probably aren't interested.

I like. Right on point.

There are lots of websites on the internet where you can create a profile, upload video highlights, and hope a college recruiter comes across it and views it. It"s a longshot but you must put your kid out there. Some websites allow you to do this for free and some not. Don't forget to put your contact information.

Parents be honest with yourself. Do an assessment of your kid non-biased. Also ask your kid's high school coaches and other people you may know like family and friends to give you an assessment on your kid non-biased.

Also recommended in getting yourself some more and better assessment of your kid, during the offseason, is to get your kid to camps and combines throughout the country. Here's where you will come out of pocket. Be sure to do research on the camps and combines that you're planning to have your kid attend and participate and what you want to get out of it. There are many good camps and combines out there but there are also bad ones with some being scams. Ask, check, research, to verify that actual college coaches will be at these events. Oh and make absolutely sure that your kid is prepared, physically fit, for the camp or combine. That your kid will not be cold, not ready, and knows how to run camp and combine drills. Give college coaches in attendance a small flyer or business card of your kid's URL link or links where they may find his profile and highlights. Also, if available, hand them dvds filled with your kid's highlights. Keep video short in these dvds maybe 2 to 3 minutes. If college recruiters see potential in your kid they might ask for more film on him. Don't forget to put your contact information on or within the dvd.

Be alert, observe, if your kid's high school coaches have any interest in exposing, promoting, your kid to college recruiters. Basically if they are doing anything for your kids recruitment. Keep in mind high school coaches do not have to do this as it"s not in their job description although some high school coaches go above and beyond the scope of their duties, at their own expense, by sacrificing their time away from their family, their loved ones and friends. Coaches have lives to.

Ok so you have your kid's profile or profiles up on websites throughout the internet, you have got good assessments on your kid and your kid has attended camps and combines. That's all great but don't stop there. You can also go to college websites and search for college recruiters emails and email them your kid's URL link leading to his profile or profiles. Don't type up a long email. Just greet yourself, be very short, like a short tweet and send the URL link or links to your kid's profile. When you send it then hope the college recruiter opens it and reads it and views your kid's profile. Again it's a longshot but highly recommended.

And most importantly register your kid with the NCAA Eligibility Center formerly known as the NCAA Clearinghouse. You may do this online. Search for their website. This will cost you out of pocket about 75 bucks. This must be done if you want your kid to be able to participate in college athletics. Also make sure your kid has taken either the SAT or ACT exam. This is crucial. Get with his counselor at his high school about this. These steps, NCAA Eligibility Center and the Exams, are very important.

Good Luck!

Alot of valuable information in this thread.

Xman
Alot of valuable information in this thread.

Yes Xman there's alot of valuable information in this recruiting thread but also in EP Gridiron's social media pages.

https://twitter.com/CoachWilson28/status/747608529213677570

Beloit College is not Division 1 but still it's valuable comments like that by college coaches which also is helping with the recruitment of El Paso athletes. I have seen lots of comments like this by college coaches on EP Gridirons social media pages. Alot of good news about El Paso, TX high school football everywhere!!!

1 2
w w w . e p g r i d i r o n . c o m