Did we Rank your alma mater or favorite Team too High, too Low or just Right?
2016 PRE-SEASON RANKINGS
#1 EL DORADO AZTECS
#2 AMERICAS TRAILBLAZERS
#3 EASTLAKE FALCONS
#4 CHAPIN HUSKIES
#5 FRANKLIN COUGARS
#6 MONTWOOD RAMS
#7 EASTWOOD TROOPERS
#8 DEL VALLE CONQUISTADORES
#9 ANDRESS EAGLES
#10 BURGES MUSTANGS
#11 CORONADO THUNDERBIRDS
#12 PARKLAND MATADORS
#13 CANUTILLO EAGLES
#14 BEL AIR HIGHLANDERS
#15 YSLETA INDIANS
#16 HANKS KNIGHTS
#17 BOWIE BEARS
#18 RIVERSIDE RANGERS
#19 HORIZON SCORPIONS
#20 SOCORRO BULLDOGS
#21 PEBBLE HILLS SPARTANS
#22 EL PASO TIGERS
#23 IRVIN ROCKETS
#24 JEFFERSON SILVERFOXES
#25 AUSTIN PANTHERS
*Post your very own Pre-Season Top 10 or Rank them all here within this forum thread or over at our Facebook Page.
NOTE: Team Schedules have been posted. Now if you notice any incorrections, such as with a match-up, date, time, etc..., please let us know by emailing us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Be sure to attend all or as many games as you can of your alma mater or favorite team.
To be honest this is how i see it
5 del valle
Before folks get bent out of shape the changing of the guard at el dorado and montwood went into where i have them ranked. People don't think it matters but consistency matters. Playoff projections
Just my predictions don't get upset but turnover in coaching staff matters.
Here are my Top 10 boys and girls. Read them and weep.
#3 El Dorado
#8 Del Valle
Qbert's Super 3
TOP 10. How I see it when the dust settles and the season is all said and done.
#2 El Dorado
#6 Del Valle
District Champions to be
1-6A - Franklin
1-5A - Chapin
2-5A - Eastlake
Westsider you're funny. Westside Bowl and District is ours this year. Coronado is and always will be Pride of the Westside. My son and many of his teammates are working hard. Will shock the city. Wait and see.
#2 El Dorado
Everyone should have Eastlake as their preseason #1
I had Eastlake at number two but a close second they bring back a lot of weapons just like America's
(#1) Chapin Huskies
(#2) Americas Trailblazers
(#3) El Dorado Aztecs
(#4) Franklin Cougars
(#5) Montwood Rams
(#6) Eastlake Falcons
(#7) Eastwood Troopers
(#8) Coronado Tbirds
(#9) Canutillo Eagles
(#10) Andress Eagles
I see no one is giving Del Valle any respect that's cool we prove everybody wrong every year.
No worries DVforever just because Edgar didn't list DV on his list means everyone agrees. Everyone has an opinion. Dv,Eastlake, and others have great team. Every year is a new year, many changes in the works from coaching staff, new players and returning players.
GURU'S early bird Top 10
I don't know why EP Gridiron would rank El Dorado as their preseason #1. Makes no sense when you consider the 3 teams El Dorado plays in non~district. I see El Dorado losing either all of their 3 non~district games or losing 2 out of the 3. I don't see El Dorado holding that #1 rank into 1-6a district play.
1st Non District Game ~ El Dorado vs Eastlake
2nd Non District Game ~ El Dorado vs Frenship
3rd Non District Game ~ El Dorado vs Midland Lee
I didn't follow all the teams last season so I wouldn't know who is returning and which of those returning players are consistent impact players and consistent game changers.
But who I did follow last season was Franklin and I know who they are returning hence why I will say that Franklin is a solid #1, #2 or #3 preseason team. Franklin will be a tough team to beat this season. It will be no picnic playing Franklin this season.
Here are my top 10 along with some stats and facts to back up my predictions. As always 6a has the most top teams like they should, but they won't go that that far come playoff time (toughest region in the USA). It is no mystery that 5a teams will go the furthest, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they are better than the 6a teams. Example last year Eastlake got blasted by El Dorado yet, two years ago that final four Canutillo team lost to Franklin at Canutillo. Any how;
1. Americas- Return their workhorse on offense in Joshua Fields that rushed for 1,658 yards tops in district 1-6a (15 touchdowns), along with their player that wrecked havoc on offenses in Kolton Lindeman which had 8 sacks, 88 tackles and 3 interceptions. In my eyes the best two players in the city on offense and defense (respectively) for this coming year. When it is all said and done both these players should be Division l commits. They also return Jacob Monarez which should lead the receivers this year (7 touchdowns). Also look out for Elijah Escamilla which had 68 tackles. I have them going two deep in the playoffs. Coach Melton keep up the rise of RIP CITY!!!
2. El Dorado- Might pose the biggest threat to Americas, they certainly have the firepower to compete, will Coach Torres be able to take them over the hump and go two deep in the playoffs? I think so. They return a young quarterback in (Cedarious Barfield) that did a good job of filling in for the starting qb last year (381 yards passing yards and 510 yards rushing).Barfield is probably the best dual threat qb in the district. He will have a big threat target in division l receiver in Tyquez Hampton (562 yds. receiving and 6 touchdowns), as well as often overlooked receiver Jorge Hernandez (873 yds. receiving along with 9 touchdowns). The wild factor on offense should be Birdsong(fasted kid in the district) if he can step up and be their primary running back. On defense they return playmaker Henderson (77 tackles) and Croslen, they should anchor the defense. I have this team going two deep in the playoffs. It must be nice to have been handed the keys to this program especially with all the firepower that is returning.
3. Eastlake- These Falcons have earn their stripes and have earn respect amongst the city. Back to Back Area Champions ( 3 deep in the playoffs two year in a row) is something that has not been done in a while. Well guess what? These Falcons Are Back For MORE!!!! This team returns K. Tarango Lopez (2,507 passing yards, 24tds, and 326 Rushing yards). They also return a big time player in Adrian Chavez (1,533 Rushing yards, 504 receiving yards, 23 total touchdowns). Avina should step up nicely (266 receiving yards, 141 rushing yards). Also return a good size offensive line. As well as some players on defense in Eric Fierro (2 interceptions, 60 tackles) and line backer Chris Sepulveda (109 tackles) and linebacker Joshua Molinar (93 tackles). This team has the potential to match the Canutillo Eagles from two years ago. I have them going to the final four.
4. Montwood- A hungry and ready to prove himself coach coupled with a good junior class should get the Rams into the playoffs. The emerging quarterback (Fernandez) should have a good season. Returns a solid line, a good receiver in Tyreese Andrus(226 total yards) and a good running back in Evan De Anda (622yds. Robert Cardiel (51 tackles) should anchor that defense along with Venegas (4 sacks and 35 tackles). I have them going 1 deep in the playoffs.
5. Chapin- Should be the top dog in 1-5A. Return a big and powerful running back in Matthew Zubiate (720 rushing yards, 8 tds) and Angel Soto (464 yards and 4 touchdowns) also a good receiver in Mondarius Johnson (646 receiving yards). On defense Angel Carrillo should anchor them (140 tackles, 8.5 sacks) along with Tony Meraz (109 tackles, 3 sacks). I have them going two deep in the playoffs.
6. Coronado- Coronado returns QB Donatelli (1,445 Yds, 10 tds) who did a descent job last year as a sophomore, they also return a few weapons at receiver and running back (Herrera 394 total yards). On defense safety Courtney should be the leader (99 tackles and 5 ints),DE Trevor Plede (58 tackles, and corner Alverez (53 tackles and 1 int). This team took some bumps and bruises but they are back and ready to make a playoff run. Will struggle early on but should be ready come district.
7. Del Valle- Will have fits early might be 0-2 going into district play but will weather the storm and as always will give the Falcons all they can handle. Return QB Montez which took the helm last year as a freshman and showed great poise and leadership in doing so. Also return running back Jason Morales(481 rushing yards) and receiver Villalva ( 198 yards receiving). On defense they return safety Gus Yanez 108 tackles and 4 interceptions. As well as Angel Estrada 73 tackles and 2 interceptions. I have this team going 2 deep in the playoffs.
8. Eastwood- A team that year ago was labeled as the best in the city yet fell short in district but prove how good they were by going two deep in the playoffs. This year that young head coach and young players will try to proof that they belong. Do not return many key players on either side. But had success at the freshman and jv level. We will see if that translates into varsity success. Return some big targets in receivers Barnhouse (347 yards and 2 tds) and Cadena (254 yards and 4tds). On defense players to watch are linebacker Tristian Cruz (111 tackles, 2 sacks, 1 interception), defensive ende Chase Warden ( 90 tackles, 5 sacks), linebacker Joseph Davalos (98 tackles, 3 sacks), and defensive end Pacheco (37 tackles, 1 sack, 2 interceptions).
9. Franklin- A team that missed the playoffs for the first time in a long time will have to grind to make sure they get back in the playoffs. Will have senior qb Hatch take the helm ( 452 yards, 4tds) will look to spread the ball to Baca (424 yards, 7tds) and Phillips (197, 1 td). On defense return strong safety Soto (67 tackles) and safety Feste (51 tackles, 1 interception)
10.Andress- It appears that Frilot will be the qb and he should have many weapons at his disposal, including receivers Gomez (389 yards receiving) and White (249 yards receiving). On defense they have a lot of speed Williams( 129 tackles,3 sacks), Redding (2 interceptions, 62 tackles).
So those are my top 10.
KiNg nice post makes for some time consuming entertaining reading unfortunately I can't get or buy that time back. KiNg the part that I found most entertaining in your post was you ranking Eastlake at #3 and that nonsense about stats and facts that really made me spit out my oatmeal from my mouth as I was reading your post while having my breakfast. But the most hilarious and outlandish part of your post where I was LMAO was you saying that 5a el paso teams going the furthest doesn't necessarily mean that they are better than 6a el paso teams. KiNg a 6a el paso team beating a 5a el paso team in predistrict is no concrete proof that 6a el paso teams are better than 5a el paso teams. That's ridiculous to say. If you know high school football which I think you do know something about the sport is that in predistrict games teams are substituting players left and right throughout the game with coaches still trying to make up their teams. Predistrict games are like practice. Those who know high school football knows this about predistrict games. So your El Dorado beating Eastlake last year and Franklin beating Canutillo the previous year is absolute nonsense. Have those teams played say in the middle of the season instead of predistrict the outcomes would have been different.
Here are my preseason Top 10 and my Top 10 as to how they will finish at the end of the season.
#2 El Dorado
#7 Del Valle
And the District Champions will be
1-6a El Dorado
el paso team going the furthest in the playoffs Eastlake.
#1 Chapin Huskies
#2 El Dorado Aztecs
#3 Montwood Rams
#4 Eastlake Falcons
#5 Franklin Cougars
#6 Americas Trailblazers
#7 Andress Eagles
#8 Del Valle Conquistadors
#9 Coronado Thunderbirds
#10 Eastwood Troopers
Fyi cougars will be better than projected if healthy. QB K.Hatch has varsity experience, probably more experience than any returning QB in the city. His arm talent is among the best and has decent speed. The weapons in his arsenal will surprise many defenses the offensive speed will overwhelm defenders. Senior returning wideouts L. Baca, and E. Phillips, to go along with new additions sophomore K.Lyles and transfer senior J.Rone make this receiving core one of the fastest in the city. Most importantly the O line will give Hatch time to find open guys led by center senior C. Leftwich.
While JV struggled,due to kids playing varsity Franklin produced one of the best freshman teams the city has seen in years going 10-0 averaging 40+ ppg and going the majority of the season sitting starters in the second half. The core of that group will play vital roles next season and will be tested the coaching staff is doing a great job preparing these young guns.
Franklin's non district schedule should prep them for district play, cougar nation is hoping we can get 2 out of 3.
so this is the dumbest statement I have seen of course hatch doesn't have more snaps then other qb's to include fernandez from Montwood, Barefield from El Dorado, Donatelli from Coronado, WHy would you make a statement like this. His arm strength is average his speed is average calm down. Im not saying they aren't going to be good because I definately think they will be a playoff team but don't sully it by making ridiculous statements. Their recievers will not be the fastest in the city........Im sure el Dorado and Americas will have something to say about that. The freshman team was good but I think seeing what happend to eastwoods 2 super freshman classes shows that freshman success doesn't translate. My prdicition n 1-6a still Americas then Franklin, then Coronado, then Eastwood.
Ok Mr dumbest.... First off I mentioned arm "talent" not strength... I also said experience not snaps! He's been on the varsity roster since he was a sophomore I clearly said "decent" speed which could be described as average! I said one of the fastest receiving groups! Not the fastest in the city... But hey you know the program better than I do.
don't take my corrections of you as hate. NOtice i picked them second in district so obviously I am giving credit where it is due.
2. El Dorados
9. Del Valle
I see no love for Canutillo anywhere!!!!
I have traveled to the past and I have traveled to the future lots of times. This morning I just got back from December 5, 2016 and saw this in the paper and all over the internet.
#1 Chapin 1-5A District Champions/Won 3 playoff games
#2 Eastlake 2-5A District Champions/ Won 2 playoff games
#3 Franklin 1-6A District Champions/Won 1 playoff game
#4 El Dorado/Won 1 playoff game
#5 Montwood/no playoff wins
#6 Americas/no playoff wins
#7 Del Valle/Won 1 playoff game
#8 Andress/no playoff wins
#9 Parkland/Won 1 playoff game
#10 Burges/Won 1 playoff game
I've been spotted a couple of times returning home to El Paso from my travels.
What's your updated rankings now that Spring football is over? That's if anything changed for anyone.
Here are my Top 10
Nothing changed for me. My Super 3 remains the same even feeling stronger after watching their spring games.
Qbert's Super 3
Doesn't El Dorado have a big question mark in the RB department yet everyone has them #1?? Americas has my number 1 spot with the city's best RB. Gotta be able to run the ball in high school folks.
After what I observed at the 7on7 State Qualifier yesterday and giving it some thought this morning I have to say that this should be the Preseason Top 10 going into the season.
#4 El Dorado
#6 Del Valle
.......geeeez..,,,,as far as above rankings...,,Coronado and Andress suddenly drop out of top ten because they didnt participate in the cities 7 on7 ??!!!!!.....if you think YSLETA is better than Andress and Coronado...then you are putting away to much into two hand touch!!!....and if you do.....ill put my check against yours that Coronado beats Ysleta....by 21 its......cmon ppl of EL PASO....one UTEP camp and 7 on 7 tourney later and suddenly Ysleta and Canutillo are top dogs....for the sake of humanity.....STOP with all the nonsense!!!!
dude dont put canutillo in the same catagory with ysleta. Canutillo had a down year last year and now everyone is counting them out. i can assure you the coronado coaches are not counting them out. they didnt even want to play them. all you have to do is compare canutillos playoff history of the last 10-15 years to that of coronado or franklin or any one else and you will see canutillo is a consistent football program, not a one and done team. as far as andress is concerned they have not beaten canutillo in like ten years. even last year on a down year for canutillo canutillo beat andress like 56-6.
...dude dont compare Canutillo to any 6A team....your 5A brah..!!!
...you guys are a good team..,,,,what your are not....is the#3 rank team pre season...thats a pipe
Come on, there are only two teams at best that are true 6A. Most of them have 4Atalent. Give me a break!
My Pre Season Top 10
#2 El Dorado
#10 Del Valle
No Their defense didnt compare because they were aweful and gave up 30+ points a game. But like I said they will be a playoff team.
Kind of like everyone else lol man calm down and have a snickers.
Lol good one.....it's entertainment relax hope I havnt said anything bad about ur team. Like i said i state facts.......we can agree to disagree.....
PreSeason Top 10
#1 El Dorado
#9 Del Valle
3. El Dorado
Ultimate 10 for this coming season. How it will all play out.
1 Eastlake Falcons
2 Americas Trailblazers
3 El Dorado Aztecs
4 Montwood Rams
5 Franklin Cougars
6 Chapin Huskies
7 Coronado Thunderbirds
8 Del Valle Conquistadors
9 Eastwood Troopers
10 Andress Eagles
2016 DC Teams
District 2-5a Champions will be Eastlake Falcons
District 1-6a Champions will be Americas Trailblazers
District 1-5a Champions will be Chapin Huskies
The Xpert's Top 10
3 El Dorado
#3 EL DORADO
#9 DEL VALLE
Here are Dave Campbell's predictions for El Paso teams. I'm seeing the magazine right now at the store. I put EP Gridirons predictions next to them so we all can compare and grade them at the end of the season. If you're wondering where I got EP Gridiron's predictions from I got them from their preseason rankings in this forum thread from May 12th.
DaveCampbells Americas / EPGridiron El Dorado
DaveCampbells El Dorado / EPGridiron Americas
DaveCampbells Eastwood / EPGridiron Franklin
DaveCampbells Franklin / EPGridiron Montwood
DaveCampbells Montwood / EPGridiron Eastwood
DaveCampbells Coronado / EPGridiron Coronado
DaveCampbells Pebble Hills / EPGridiron Socorro
DaveCampbells Socorro / EPGridiron Pebble Hills
DaveCampbells Chapin / EPGridiron Chapin
DaveCampbells Andress / EPGridiron Andress
DaveCampbells Bowie / EPGridiron Burges
DaveCampbells Burges / EPGridiron Bowie
DaveCampbells El Paso / EPGridiron El Paso
DaveCampbells Irvin / EPGridiron Irvin
DaveCampbells Jefferson / EPGridiron Jefferson
DaveCampbells Austin / EPGridiron Austin
DaveCampbells Eastlake / EPGridiron Eastlake
DaveCampbells Del Valle / EPGridiron Del Valle
DaveCampbells Canutillo / EPGridiron Parkland
DaveCampbells Bel Air / EPGridiron Canutillo
DaveCampbells Ysleta / EPGridiron Bel Air
DaveCampbells Parkland / EPGridiron Ysleta
DaveCampbells Riverside / EPGridiron Hanks
DaveCampbells Hanks / EPGridiron Riverside
DaveCampbells Horizon / EPGridiron Horizon
These are my top ten preseason teams.
#1 Eastwood will win district 1-6a
#2 El Dorado
#3 Eastlake will win district 2-5a
#5 Del Valle
#6 Chapin will win district 1-5a
Franklin #7? Bryan you are one funny guy.
Montwood seems to be all over the place in most of the rankings. They are either in the Top 5, Bottom 5, or not ranked at all in most of the Top 10. That's fine, but I personally think MW will surprise some teams this year, and actually have an even better season under new Head Coach Famaligi then they did last year under Coach Velez.
I think the district is sleeping on the Eastwood squad.
They were picked 7 how are people sleeping thats playoff projection.
I love how EP Gridiron does their preseason rankings. For example my son plays for Pebble Hills and where EP Gridiron ranked them to me is spot on. Looking at the 2 to 3 teams above Pebble Hills and the rest of the teams below Pebble Hills I honestly see Pebble Hills competing with those teams to the wire and possibly beating them. Pebble Hills is a really young team but I believe EP Gridiron ranked them where they should be for the start of this season.
Good Luck to all teams this upcoming season!
Keep in mind gepfs combine is december 17th and the all star game is december 18th.
JR's Preseason Rankings for 2016
#1 Americas Trailblazers
#2 Eastwood Troopers
#3 Eastlake Falcons
#4 El Dorado Aztecs
#5 Franklin Cougars
#6 Coronado Thunderbirds
#7 Montwood Rams
#8 Chapin Huskies
#9 Andress Eagles
#10 Del Valle Conquistadors
Here go the trolls. It's starting early this year.
How I see that it will unfold this year.
#1 Americas - 1-6A District Champions
#3 Eastlake - 2-5A District Champions
#4 El Dorado
#6 Chapin - 1-5A District Champions
#8 Del Valle
#3 Del Valle
#6 El Dorado
#4- El Dorado
#8- Del Valle
#10- Bel Air
Dude, the Falcons will have a hell of a team. Much respect to those guys. They play hard, fast and are a class act. I'm sure my boys are looking froward to competing against them. They'll be going deep into the playoffs this year and representing El Paso well.
#4 El Dorado
#9 Del Valle
Everyone had huge expectations for Eastlake! Wonder if the pressure got to the kids
Canutillo was almost invisible in all the predictions, but that was mostly because of last season's off year
But overall most of you crazy fanatics know what your talking about
It's great to come back and review these old posts especially this one that EP Gridiron started.
Look at EP Gridiron's PreSeason #1 and PreSeason #2. Freaking awesome!!!! And to think that EP Gridiron posted this back on May 12, 2016 which is like almost 4 months before the season even started.
EP Gridiron's PreSeason #1 and PreSeason #2 play this week!!!