​​​​​​​
EP GRIDIRON
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Best rivalry in El Paso

Which two schools have the best rivalry in El Paso?

Re: Best rivalry in El Paso

Being an Austin alumni, I love the history behind the battle of the claw. I mean being one of the oldest rivalries in Texas is a big deal.

Unfortunately, it doesn't hold the same intensity or player caliber as some of the newer rivalries.

- Battle of the Westside (Franklin/Coronado) is always a good one
- Battle of the Helmet (Eastwood/Bel Air) I got to go to that game and I can truly say both sides don't like each other. A lot of tension between fans, players, and even in some cases between the coaches.

Any more good ones?

Most El Pasoans do not consider Montwood vs El Dorado as a rivalry but those are El Pasoans that do not go and watch them play against each other. Those El Pasoans that do go and watch them play do consider Montwood vs El Dorado a big time rivalry in El Paso. Montwood has owned El Dorado over the years. This game always fills the SAC to capacity.

Bowie vs Jeff

It's big enough to be played at the Sun Bowl! Generations of each school get together for this one.

Personally I've always enjoyed the Montwood - El Dorado rivalry and try to watch it every year. Now I know that Montwood has dominated it and some would say it's not a rivalry for that reason but I truly think it is with how much attention it garners and intense it is with the teams and fans.

Now a future rivalry to watch out for over the next few years is Pebble Hills and El Dorado. This one has the potential to get real intense with the schools splitting the talent pool. And now El Dorado went and hired Torres brother so that adds another layer. A little story....last summer some El Do freshman posted a picture on social media of themselves in their uniforms with the quote "Pebble who?" This prompted every meeting in football and basketball with kids yelling "EL DO WHO!?" when Pebble hills defeated them.

El Do #1 ;)

Montwood vs El Do
Bel Air vs Eastwood.

Best rivalry in El Paso is Franklin vs Coronado. Alumni from Coronado and Franklin fly in from all over the world for this rivalry.

To me ive seen plenty of rivalry games. Some of the best ive seen are:

1.) Eastwood/Bel Air (Battle for the Helmet): To me one of, if not the best Rivalry El Paso High School Football has seen in years. I finally got to experience this Rivalry a few years back at Eastwood and wow, ive never seen a stadium filled to capacity to a point that they had to stop selling tickets because of that reason alone. The student sections get wild, the fans go crazy, and players and coaches always get into it! Just alot of hate between both schools and the games never disappoint either!

2.) Franklin/Coronado (Westside Bowl): was once considered one of the top rivalries in the country, Idk if it still is. But going to the Sun Bowl and seeing probably more fans for 1 high school football game than 6 home games that UTEP have for a season! A lot of passion between both teams and fans! Battle for the bragging rights of the Westside!

3.) Eastlake/Del Valle: To me ive seen many of these games and seeing that this is more of a competative rivalry, than a hated rivalry. So far Eastlake has had the better of Del Valle, which i know isnt sitting well DV but hey, a new season every year and anything can happen, usually when these two teams play its always for the district crown, so you know its always going to be a good game between them two. This young rivalry is beginning to grow year in and year out, more fans coming in to flood the stadiums and cheer on their teams.

4.) El Dorado/Montwood: Another young but good one is the battle between the Rams and Aztecs, having seen a few games, these two teams get down to nitty gritty and for a few years would be the battle for the district crown! i remember what i believe was in 2009 when both teams playing at the S.A.C. and it selling out that the only way to watch the game was thru standing room only! Montwood winning a nail biter in the end! For both this game has become a great atmosphere for all fans! if you havnet been to one yet, i suggest you do!

and finally.....

5.) Riverside/Ysleta/Del Valle (Battle for the Pride of the Lower Valley): To me ive seen many of these games and you are probably wondering why list all 3, but usually between these 3 teams, there is always tension, doesnt matter who is playing, DV/Ysleta, or Riverside/DV, Riverside/Ysleta, Usually the original rivarly between Ysleta and Riverside has created many great memories for me, seeing so much hate between fans and players and coaches! who could forget the 2009 game when Riverside beat Ysleta on a second attempeted field goal that the Rangers missed just a few plays before! Had me sweating bullets to the end! Or when in i believe it was 2004 or 2005 (someone help me out with date please) when DV tied the game late in the 4th with 1 second left, on the way to overtime, but alum great Jeff Turnbul returned the kickoff to win the game! i dont think ive ever experienced such an event that year, with the stadium packed, and all the Riverside fans cheering until they lost their voices! Now Ysleta who is starting to rise up from the ashes of defeat and becoming a power in the district, and so far, finding their stride, especially beating Riverside over the last 2-3 years and making the playoffs!

Easily The Westside Bowl. Coronado vs. Franklin.

Ranger-Fan

1.) Eastwood/Bel Air (Battle for the Helmet): To me one of, if not the best Rivalry El Paso High School Football has seen in years. I finally got to experience this Rivalry a few years back at Eastwood and wow, ive never seen a stadium filled to capacity to a point that they had to stop selling tickets because of that reason alone. The student sections get wild, the fans go crazy, and players and coaches always get into it! Just alot of hate between both schools and the games never disappoint either!

2.) Franklin/Coronado (Westside Bowl): was once considered one of the top rivalries in the country, Idk if it still is. But going to the Sun Bowl and seeing probably more fans for 1 high school football game than 6 home games that UTEP have for a season! A lot of passion between both teams and fans! Battle for the bragging rights of the Westside!

3.) Eastlake/Del Valle: To me ive seen many of these games and seeing that this is more of a competative rivalry, than a hated rivalry. So far Eastlake has had the better of Del Valle, which i know isnt sitting well DV but hey, a new season every year and anything can happen, usually when these two teams play its always for the district crown, so you know its always going to be a good game between them two. This young rivalry is beginning to grow year in and year out, more fans coming in to flood the stadiums and cheer on their teams.

4.) El Dorado/Montwood: Another young but good one is the battle between the Rams and Aztecs, having seen a few games, these two teams get down to nitty gritty and for a few years would be the battle for the district crown! i remember what i believe was in 2009 when both teams playing at the S.A.C. and it selling out that the only way to watch the game was thru standing room only! Montwood winning a nail biter in the end! For both this game has become a great atmosphere for all fans! if you havnet been to one yet, i suggest you do!

and finally.....

5.) Riverside/Ysleta/Del Valle (Battle for the Pride of the Lower Valley): To me ive seen many of these games and you are probably wondering why list all 3, but usually between these 3 teams, there is always tension, doesnt matter who is playing, DV/Ysleta, or Riverside/DV, Riverside/Ysleta, Usually the original rivarly between Ysleta and Riverside has created many great memories for me, seeing so much hate between fans and players and coaches! who could forget the 2009 game when Riverside beat Ysleta on a second attempeted field goal that the Rangers missed just a few plays before! Had me sweating bullets to the end! Or when in i believe it was 2004 or 2005 (someone help me out with date please) when DV tied the game late in the 4th with 1 second left, on the way to overtime, but alum great Jeff Turnbul returned the kickoff to win the game! i dont think ive ever experienced such an event that year, with the stadium packed, and all the Riverside fans cheering until they lost their voices! Now Ysleta who is starting to rise up from the ashes of defeat and becoming a power in the district, and so far, finding their stride, especially beating Riverside over the last 2-3 years and making the playoffs!

Enjoyed your post Ranger-Fan. Great read and I agree with your ranking of the El Paso rivalries. Though you are missing Bowie vs Jefferson, Chapin vs Andress and Austin vs El Paso High.

Does teams like Burges, Americas or Socorro have any rivals? I mean, I understand Socorro's situation (for now), but the Americas and Burges have been competitive teams in recent history.

Edgar
Ranger-Fan

and finally.....

Enjoyed your post Ranger-Fan. Great read and I agree with your ranking of the El Paso rivalries. Though you are missing Bowie vs Jefferson, Chapin vs Andress and Austin vs El Paso High.

Yeah your right, it's just these are the games I've experieneed yet, one game I've always wanted to see was the battle for the claw! I mean 2 of the oldest school's in the city battling it out for the trophy it is something that I must put on my watch list as well as the battle for Cruces as well between Mayfield/LC when you sell out 30,000 plus for a game that big you know it's going to be a good one to watch!

Hanks and Eastwood had a great rivalry from the late 70s up until hanks was moved down to 4a/5a and eastwood remained in 5a/6a district

it still surprises me that the eastwood feeder area has bigger enrollment numbers than hanks, i guess yisd open campus policy helps.

Hey Rangers-Fan, if you're still interested on seeing the Battle of the Claw, the game will be on Saturday, October 8,2016 11 am at El Paso High School. It's the only Saturday game of that week.

The Westside Bowl is the best rivalry in El Paso, Texas.

AHS Golden Panthers
Hey Rangers-Fan, if you're still interested on seeing the Battle of the Claw, the game will be on Saturday, October 8,2016 11 am at El Paso High School. It's the only Saturday game of that week.

Really! That's good I might have to go then! I wonder why they will play Saturday?

My ranking of El Paso, Texas rivalries.

#1 Austin v El Paso High
#2 Bowie v Jefferson
#3 Bel Air v Eastwood
#4 Riverside v Ysleta
#5 Coronado v Franklin
#6 Andress v Chapin
#7 Montwood v El Dorado
#8 Eastlake v Del Valle

w w w . e p g r i d i r o n . c o m