​​​​​​​
EP GRIDIRON
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
FRANKLIN @ MIDLAND (Thursday Night)

Any predictions for this game? Impact players, etc.

Re: FRANKLIN @ MIDLAND (Thursday Night)

A team that plays together wins together.

GO COUGARS!!! Play hard and bring back the win.

I'll take Franklin with a slight edge over Midland! Bring the W back home Cougs!!!

....Cats32.....we are gonna represent and kick this week off right for El Paso!!!...rooting for all El Paso teams!!
good luck to everyone!!

All EP teams playing out of town teams good luck should be a start of a great season.

Good Luck Franklin. Bring back a W to EP

I am jus curious as to why the DC feels like he don't know how to adjust the defense to what an offense is running. I have never seen in all my yrs of football that a defense gets ran through the way they did. If an offense is running the same play 50 times it seem like (which was a simple bubble screens and flare routes) and he couldn't fix what was going on. Then I never seen an offense that you come out running the ball strong but then 2nd half was a nonfactor. Here is my thing how come the coaches on offense don't teach the WR's more then the basic routes? Double moves would help in any aggressive corners that is just sitting on routes. Instead they ran the same run plays over and over against a box that is stacked with 8 in the box. I say if the OC and DC can't adjust then maybe it's time 4 a change. They had #7 Baca runnin both ways but they not using him in the right position which is WR. Also DC teach the corners proper technique when playing corner not bailing so fast and also play the receiver 1st then play the ball.

Indeed DC needs to adjust I actually like his coaching style. I agree 3rd downs he must get the defense off the field. Who are Franklins best options at corner, it seemed they were still at the try out stage. What did you think about linebacker play. What happened to all the receivers this QB was supposed to have?

I was not at the game, but I didn't need to be there to know this was a whooping. As a Franklin alum, this is an embarrassment to our Black Swarm defense and to our tradition. Even in one of Franklin's worst season, 2006, we still allowed very few points a game and made every game except for one competitive. I'm sure they'll fix it--I really hope they do. You obviously can have the best offense in the nation, but it doesn't matter if you have a crappy defense. Just look at my alma mater, Texas Tech. Explosive offense, but we've had one of the worst defense in CFB the past years and that is what holds us back from winning titles.

Franklins defense has been dismal since Phil Barrios left. Not that it was great then but since he left it has been utterly unwatchable.

Supporter
Franklins defense has been dismal since Phil Barrios left. Not that it was great then but since he left it has been utterly unwatchable.

More like when Coach Anderson left. Coach Walker's defenses have been bad/decent. Even when Franklin had one of its worst seasons, like I stated, the defense was one of the best in the city still.

There is nothing wrong with being aggressive but know when the right time 2 be aggressive. If they adjusted to what we was doing on offense then why we couldn't adjust to there's. They best corners are #6 and #17 (I think that's his number that Tharp). They cannot run Baca bot ways and think he is not gonna get tired. He is better at WR anyway. All that routing 4 no reason is bad judgment. You should have a set roster by now. The LB'S is a good core but they jus use them wrong. The way midland was killing us in the screens and flare routes you have to adjust and bring the the LB'S down better to cover the slots on those bubble and flare routes.

If you have a kid that is 6'3 and a half#30 and 6'2 #7 USE THEM CORRECTLY!!! Teach different routes other then the basic 3 routes.

...overall...the offense played pretty good...YES they could of thrown the ball a little more but...the O line was suppose to be the weakness....as you can see...its still the defense....the young offensive line did as good as you can expect.....I expect a better performance this week from the defense....the predistrict Franklin has is no joke....lets give the boys some credit....

DB#20
There is nothing wrong with being aggressive but know when the right time 2 be aggressive. If they adjusted to what we was doing on offense then why we couldn't adjust to there's. They best corners are #6 and #17 (I think that's his number that Tharp). They cannot run Baca bot ways and think he is not gonna get tired. He is better at WR anyway. All that routing 4 no reason is bad judgment. You should have a set roster by now. The LB'S is a good core but they jus use them wrong. The way midland was killing us in the screens and flare routes you have to adjust and bring the the LB'S down better to cover the slots on those bubble and flare routes.

Linebackers did not play well.....good core or not.....lets be real now!!

I have to agree with you on that they did not play well but also you have to look at where the coaches are putting them. If playing LB and the coach plays off the ball for then not only that but don't let them put hands on slot WR'S then yes they are gonna look bad. So in my opinion it goes both ways. You right cuz the LB's missed alot of tackles so that is on them.

The defense sucks again, franklin hasnt had a DECENT D in years.Come on coaches, there is more to football than trying to score 60 points to look good. Not every game need to come down to the last possession, been watching this crap for too many years!!!!

Sad
The defense sucks again, franklin hasnt had a DECENT D in years.Come on coaches, there is more to football than trying to score 60 points to look good. Not every game need to come down to the last possession, been watching this crap for too many years!!!!

Totally agree. If we could put together a good defense our teams would actually be able to compete, but year after year it's the same story. Great offense, bad defense. Trying to simply outscore every opponent is not going to work in the playoffs and its really frustrating.

Also have to take into account how our offense is so reliant on big plays. Defense is on the field way too much because the offense scores so quickly.

Jake
Sad

Totally agree. If we could put together a good defense our teams would actually be able to compete, but year after year it's the same story. Great offense, bad defense. Trying to simply outscore every opponent is not going to work in the playoffs and its really frustrating.

Also have to take into account how our offense is so reliant on big plays. Defense is on the field way too much because the offense scores so quickly.

Here's my two cents !!!!! The coaches need to get your star players playing both ways !!!! That's not practical but you do what you have to when the circumstances call for it !!!

Everyone has an opinion and here's my 2 cents!!! Having a few sons come through Franklin I have been close to the program but I too think there are problems in Cougar Nation. It has to start at the top. Coach Walker is an offensive coach and with his ego it will always be about offense and trying to outscore people. Everyone should have figured that out over the last 10 years. Players have graduated and coaches have come and gone but the one constant is the man at the top and his philosophy and ways aren't cutting it. Is it time for change??? Any thoughts??

If Walker isn't willing to make the adjustments needed, whether it be with his coaching staff or his general philosophy then yes, we should consider making a change. I have no personal vendetta against anyone in the program, I like Walker and have defended him in the past but it seems like we just aren't meeting expectations. We look great some years and falter in the playoffs, or we look awful and barely scrape through district.

Jake...I agree with you. Your right Franklin has had some good teams as recent as 2014. If Baylor hadn't got hurt they might have gone deep in playoffs. I just think a school the size of Franklin and with its support should be more competitive on a more consistent basis and I don't see that.

.....thats an entire thread in of itself......can we please me on to week #2..!!!......Go Cougars!!!

Westsider
Jake...I agree with you. Your right Franklin has had some good teams as recent as 2014. If Baylor hadn't got hurt they might have gone deep in playoffs. I just think a school the size of Franklin and with its support should be more competitive on a more consistent basis and I don't see that.

I feel your wrong about that playoff game last year. Backup QB came in and did a good enough job to tie the game. It again came down to the defense. 5: 30 or so on the clock and they marched down the field, again our d was at issue, but that game I blamed on the coaches. Didnt adjust at all or even use a time out when the kids were winded. Kicked a field goal with like 8 seconds left on the clock, and we had 2 if not all our time outs left. Why did we not use them to regroup, let our d rest and leave more time on the clock to try and score. Last time i checked the only way to stop the clock on d was with a time out or an injury. Oh, and if you can remember we were down by 1 if not 2 tds when Baylor got hurt.

.....wow.....on to Permian......goodness!!!!!.......2016..,we are in 2016!!!!...2016!!!!...2016!!...2016!!....

w w w . e p g r i d i r o n . c o m