Forum: EP GRIDIRON
Start a New Topic 

Author
Comment
Time for a change in Canutillo

The football team is fine...

We need a change with our CHS band. Horizon came to our house and partied like it was 1999. Seriously, they were down by 48 points and they were having a blast on their sideline. Heck, I was having a blast too. In the meantime our Band Director just stood there and took it looking absolutely ridiculously stupid.

I know this is a football forum, but school pride, it's fans and cheers, are all lead by a good band which affects football. It can be a huge momentum factor when the time comes, especially in playoffs. Half the time our band starts playing when we are on offense. Something needs to change....

Re: Time for a change in Canutillo

Our band plays the lamest songs . No wonder their numbers are always low. I thought I was the only one to notice. No reflection on the band but the director still lives in the 50s. Aside from the fight song I doubt anyone recognizes anything we play.

Get with the Times

Not from Canutillo but I just want to say that I also was impressed with the Horizon band when they came to our school. They made the game seem way more intense than it actually was. Got the visiting crowd in the game, I truly believe it gave the Scorpions momentum that day. I got into their rythym myself at times. That band gets noticed!

It true most bands give the extra feel for the Friday night lights. It is a big difference when there is no bands there. It feels like something is missing. So no matter if they are losing or winning they are there to enjoy and make it a wonderful experience. They are kids and they should enjoy every part of high school life. The bands work hard why not enjoy and cheer and make everything fun. You can enjoy it or not. But I personally like all the noise and seeing a the cheers for their team no matter what. I don't like thing boring. That's why we go to see excitement on the hard work these boys put out on the field and the excitement of the crowd.

Del Valle's band is complete garbage. They never play at games. They just sit there. Get those guys to play something. I went to Del Valle and people talk about the band sitting there as a tradition. Fire the band director and bring in someone new who will play. No one cares about the halftime show. We want to see the game not your band show.

Quote: Utep_supporter
Del Valle's band is complete garbage. They never play at games. They just sit there. Get those guys to play something. I went to Del Valle and people talk about the band sitting there as a tradition. Fire the band director and bring in someone new who will play. No one cares about the halftime show. We want to see the game not your band show.

Have to agree with Utep Supporter. Del Valle Band does nothing at the football games. Del Valle Band is very boring, pack up those instruments and go home. Don't worry Canuts, these directors don't know how to entertain a crowd. Its suppose to be about school spirit, they must of forgot to get that memo.

Quote: DVHS parent
Quote: Utep_supporter

Have to agree with Utep Supporter. Del Valle Band does nothing at the football games. Del Valle Band is very boring, pack up those instruments and go home. Don't worry Canuts, these directors don't know how to entertain a crowd. Its suppose to be about school spirit, they must of forgot to get that memo.

Finally, someone agrees with me. I know there is band parents at the games and if you ain't there for the game then don't bother being there. DVs band the worst. UTEP got killed by Army but did our band stop playing, no they didn't. DV band stay home.

Hit them with the "Flight of the Bumblebee" Works everytime.

Quote: eplion
Hit them with the "Flight of the Bumblebee" Works everytime.

At this point, I would be ok with that.

UIL rules state that the band can only play during a dead ball. I know this because I complained on facebook to the district and one of the band assistants answered me lol.
Still no excuse for not playing during dead balls. Canutillo has yet to play any song during the dead ball time. Trust me, I'm keeping count. Every school we have faced has played a Juan Gabriel song and kept the crowd involved. Canutillo's band director is reeeeeally boring. The Del Valle band had a heck of a halftime show, but compared to Canutillo's I guess every band does.

Mr. Regino Ramos is a very good man and has done a great job with the Eagle Band. He and his students work hard and dedicate a great deal of time and effort to represent the Canutillo community and the spirit of CHS in a praiseworthy manner. His band is well disciplined and enthusiastic and a CHS game without them would not be the same. He is dealing with band enrollment and funding and support circumstances in a very positive manner. We are very fortunate to have one of our own in such a high profile position and he deserves our support and thanks. Stop criticizing and ask how you can help. The Eagle Football Team and the Eagle Band are one.

What?? Hmmmm, let's see. AMS has about 100 kids in its band, CMS has abt 75. Then they hit high school and they all run for the hills. I wonder why... If we should be happy to have him, why is the band cherring "let's go defense" when they should be playing. Especially when the opponents band is rocking your world. Having low numbers is no reason to not play any songs that are from the last 3 decades. And what's with the pirate flags?? That was neat about 5 years ago. One trick pony, if you ask me.

With all due respect to Mr. Regino Ramos, but geez play something modern that is popular. I always hear the other bands play songs and they seem to keep up with the times. I heard Juan Gabriel songs played by both Hanks and Del Valle. Horizon band was playing Bruno Mars. I doubt Mr. Ramos even knows who that is. Play something contemporary I am sure the crowd would get into it and perhaps your band membership would grow.

Canutillo's band is BORING and WEAK ass numbers. They have to say "yes sir". WtF. They also dont show up to games sometimes.

Maybe if you would pay attention to the halftime show you would now what is going on. Like me during halftime they announce the name of the show and it is called "A Pirates Revenge". Also just because we don't play during deadballs doesn't mean they don't have pride. They have worked hard all day. Do you know how many hours they put in each week? Like about at least 14 hours a week outside working on the show. You guys need to chill and relax, they support the team more than the whole crowd I don't hear y'all start a chant during the game and I'm part of the crowd so I know. Just chill.

No doubt they do support the team, I have always seen the band at the games and they do have spirit. Mine is not a critique on the band or the hard work they put in. My issue is with the song selection obviously made by the director, geez please, as "dots" previously stated at least play something from the last three decades.

"1st and 10 do it again, we like it we like it!"

Okay will keep that one in mind next time we feel the urge to start a chant.

Parent, in all my rants please notice that I never put down the band members. I have respect for what they do and how they work on their craft. What I dislike is when the Band Director refuses to get with the times. Those kids deserves better. It's also not an attack on him personally. I don't know the guy. But if his enrollment is down, who's responsibility is it to keep them up? I bet our superintendent is super cool person but he also took 10 of his associates on a $10,000 spa meeting. Somebody has to hold someone accountable up in here.

Con todo el respeto que se merecen todos ustedes, en vez de estár criticando a Mr. Ramos y la banda de Canutillo, deberían de apoyarlos y asistir a las competencias, mañana 8 en Bowie HS será la primera competencia, el día 15 en el SAC y el 22 en Socorro HS del presente mes, los esperamos para que apoyen a nuestra banda.
En vez de decir que porque razón no entran o se saldrán de la banda preguntense ¿Cual será la razón, que están haciendo las consejeras y nosotros los padres? Del motivo porque nuestros estudiantes no participan en banda.

Yo no tengo décadas aquí pero en los seis años que he estado asistiendo no he mirado ni el respeto ni el apoyo que se merece la banda de Canutillo, lo mismo pasa con NJROTC.

Acerquense con Mr. Ramos y pregunten como lo pueden ayudar para que crezca la banda, y así sabrán el porque no tocan como ustedes quieren y el porque siguen con esas banderas piratas.

Mis respetos para Mr. Ramos porque su banda es una de las mejores disciplinadas

PD
Los esperamos en las próximas competencias de banda.

Quote: Madre
Con todo el respeto que se merecen todos ustedes, en vez de estár criticando a Mr. Ramos y la banda de Canutillo, deberían de apoyarlos y asistir a las competencias, mañana 8 en Bowie HS será la primera competencia, el día 15 en el SAC y el 22 en Socorro HS del presente mes, los esperamos para que apoyen a nuestra banda.
En vez de decir que porque razón no entran o se saldrán de la banda preguntense ¿Cual será la razón, que están haciendo las consejeras y nosotros los padres? Del motivo porque nuestros estudiantes no participan en banda.

Yo no tengo décadas aquí pero en los seis años que he estado asistiendo no he mirado ni el respeto ni el apoyo que se merece la banda de Canutillo, lo mismo pasa con NJROTC.

Acerquense con Mr. Ramos y pregunten como lo pueden ayudar para que crezca la banda, y así sabrán el porque no tocan como ustedes quieren y el porque siguen con esas banderas piratas.

PD

What language is this Don't understand it.

Esta escrito en Español, si no le entiendes traducelo en Google

Quote: Madre

PD

Do you even english?

¿Perdón?

Con todo respeto estamos en el siglo 21, y aun el Sr. Ramos quiere dirigir musica de los anos 50. Por favor ya algo moderno

FUNDRAISER LIKE ALL THE OTHER SCHOOL

Please delete this thread. Please.

Quote: Jeez
Please delete this thread. Please.

WHY

The bands have been told not to play. The Del Valle band would play all the time, But this year the referees association has told the bands to stop playing. Honestly it is the political correct response to complaints of the band playing while the other team is calling plays. GO figure

Did someone inform Ysleta of this? Cuz what they were doing against Canutillo last Friday was borderline illegal. It was no so much the band but the announcer. He was playing songs just a second prior to our offense snapping the ball.

..... you must of read my mind lol not only prior they kept playing the music during one of the kickoffs! I have to say that it was somewhat obnoxious.

I do think that it had an effect on our players especially our O-line. We had several penalties. But at the end it only made the team stronger. They adjusted and kept playing thru it. Gotta be ready for hostile crowds come playoffs.

Yes ysleta is Horrible with their announcers a few years back they threw a plate of food down at the parents from parkland. When we stood up to them they called the police officers that work the game, and the officers were about to throw out some parents until I saw the announcers acting like kids and laughing and mocking us and I showed the officer and he saw it too so he went and spoke to them and we got to finish watching the game! No class whatsoever by the announcers!!

Wow this thread is awful. High school marching bands do not solely exist to be cheerleaders for football teams. The kids practice about 10 hours every week and work hard. They go to the football games and play their halftime show and get zero recognition from anyone. Then they wake up early the next Saturday for a full day of marching band contests. You people should appreciate the atmosphere that marching bands bring to high school football. There is no "Friday Night Lights" without marching bands. I also saw people complaining about the Del Valle band. I don't even go to Del Valle or know anyone from there but they have one the best bands in the city. Bottom line marching band is not cheerleaders for football they have their own purpose and deserve more recognition than the garbage being said in this thread.

Delete this thread please,please.......

Quote: Jeez
Delete this thread please,please.......

Don't worry Jeez person this entire forum and all of EP Gridiron will be gone after this season. Just be patient.

mongo from blazing saddles did not speak spanish he was a pawn in the game of life. he also loved sheriff bart but i guess that would require another thread.

Quote: Football Fan
Wow this thread is awful. High school marching bands do not solely exist to be cheerleaders for football teams. The kids practice about 10 hours every week and work hard. They go to the football games and play their halftime show and get zero recognition from anyone. Then they wake up early the next Saturday for a full day of marching band contests. You people should appreciate the atmosphere that marching bands bring to high school football. There is no "Friday Night Lights" without marching bands. I also saw people complaining about the Del Valle band. I don't even go to Del Valle or know anyone from there but they have one the best bands in the city. Bottom line marching band is not cheerleaders for football they have their own purpose and deserve more recognition than the garbage being said in this thread.

DV Band is garbage. They never play when they should at a game. Waste of space, DV could get more fans that could make noise and take their seats. DV Band is known to not support the football team. I say fire the band director and bring someone new in.

You swear they wake up EVERY Saturday morning for competition. It's more like once during the entire football season.
Also, I'm not saying the sole purpose of a HS band is to entertain at football games but it doesn't hurt to play a couple riffs during dead balls.
It's also a two way street. The band playing at halftime helps the band by letting them practice in front of people.

Respeto su punto de vista.
Buen Día!

Folks check out the Eagle Band and their GREAT Home Grown Director, whom we should all be very proud of and support, Mr. Reggie Ramos at the CHS Homecoming Parade next week. Let us all give a Big Shoutout when they pass to show our support and appreciation.

Hopefully we can at least play something from the 60s or 70s (that was popular in that era). I really hope Mr. Ramos gets with the times, for the sake of the kids and recruitment for the band.

Wooow, heard the band playing in the stands last night to the sounds of The White Stripes, "Seven Nation Army". I thought that was awesome. I believe that song was released in 2003. Perhaps next we could do it on the field so the half time show (which is not to say, "boring") would actually involve the fans with a song or two that they can relate to. Anyhow Best of Luck to the Band in their competition today

BTW we appreciate all the hard work that the band members put in. Not a knock on you all, you just play what you are told. Good Luck today

I actually didn't hear the Canutillo Band at all last night, besides the halftime show. Parkland Band on the other hand, I heard multiple times and they were across the field?? It was homecoming for crying out loud, and they still got played!

I GOT GIVE DV BAND ACKNOWLEDGE. THEIR TUNE HAS CHANGED, THEY NOW PLAY MORE. THE DRUMLINE ENTERTAINS THE CROWD. IT'S ALL ABOUT SCHOOL SPIRIT. IT'S SO GOOD TO HEAR THEM PLAY THEIR INSTRUMENTS. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK.

Quote: Dj Rookie Bear

You swear they wake up EVERY Saturday morning for competition. It's more like once during the entire football season.
Also, I'm not saying the sole purpose of a HS band is to entertain at football games but it doesn't hurt to play a couple riffs during dead balls.
It's also a two way street. The band playing at halftime helps the band by letting them practice in front of people.

As someone who was in both high school football and in band, I can tell you directly that band in high school is no walk in the park and bands all over El Paso are qualifying for the texas state marching contest consistently. Instead of putting down your local band program, why don't you support them. Sadly, many of these band programs have way more respect in the state than your football team has. As the quote above me says, these bands aren't formed to entertain you at football games. But as they say eveyone is a critic and has all the answers.

w w w . e p g r i d i r o n . c o m