Forum: EP GRIDIRON
Start a New Topic 

Author
Comment
End of an era....

Have we finally begun to see the rise and fall of Eastwood's short era. It seems like yesterday when the dynamic duo was (Mark and Richie) were tearing up the field and breaking records. And OT Greg Long was serving pancakes on every defender. Has Coach Lopez made this team spiral into the never ending abyss or is he just clearly being outcoached? Your views would be greatly appreciated.

Re: End of an era....

Easily being out coached it's easy to win with athletes. Now his ability to coach is being exposed. Super boy it's time to be humbled.

Before you go all Jon Gruden and think you know what you're talking about, I want you to play a what if game really quick..
What if Eldo lost cedarius Barfield and Tyquez Hampton? How would they play? What if Americas lost Josh Fields? Would they be good? What if Montwood lost Fernandez? Would they be still pulling miracles out every week?

No excuse for losing games in the second half but at some point maybe you give Lopez and the staff some credit for keeping this team playing at a high level with all the "big" injuries this team has gone through. They're 8 points from being 4-0 and you all loving the Troop.

Starting QB Seth Ochoa done for the year before district
Tonight they lost their big receiver 80
They lost their starting slot #7 against Franklin for the year
Ryan Barnhouse 84 out 2 games
Starting CB out against Franklin & Coronado and played hurt tonight
Evan Aguilar moves to QB but was honestly one of their best defenders so you lose him on a side
Starting RB goes down at halftime against Eldo
At one point in the 3rd against Franklin they're down 8 starters
And honestly there's more, but before you point the finger at Lopez or the kids or the offense or the defense, just answer how any other staff would deal with this. They didn't lose 69-14. They've lost 3 games by a combined 8 points..

It's time to circle the wagons, win the next three over Pebble, Socorro, and Montwood and see if that's enough. And if it's not, at least evaluate the year the right way instead of using a rant and blaming people

Oh and in case you need scores:
Eastwood vs. Eldo 49-45 L
Eastwood vs. Franklin 41-40 L
Eastwood vs. Coronado 28-7 W
Eastwood vs. Americas 24-21 L

Again almost doesn't count, and moral victories don't make people happy, but like I said

Far cry from a "downward spiral" if you ask me. With all the injuries, I'd love to see evidence of being "out coached"

Very well put Troop. Unfortunately, Eastwood current record does not truly show how good of a team they are. I don't know if any defense has shut down Fields the way they did tonight. They proved me wrong for sure.

You can only go so far a pure passion and desire, athleticism is the key. And Eastwood doesn't have that key due to injuries.

well unfortunately shutting 1 player down does not get the win. Tonight obviously the more experienced coach got the win. moral victory shut fields down real victory is a team effort.

Where was he out coached? Please enlighten us with your wisdom

well wasn't there but apparently half time adjustments. you go in at half up 21-7 and loose 24-21.... what does that say.

Quote: Troop
Before you go all Jon Gruden and think you know what you're talking about, I want you to play a what if game really quick..
What if Eldo lost cedarius Barfield and Tyquez Hampton? How would they play? What if Americas lost Josh Fields? Would they be good? What if Montwood lost Fernandez? Would they be still pulling miracles out every week?

No excuse for losing games in the second half but at some point maybe you give Lopez and the staff some credit for keeping this team playing at a high level with all the "big" injuries this team has gone through. They're 8 points from being 4-0 and you all loving the Troop.

Evan Aguilar moves to QB but was honestly one of their best defenders so you lose him on a side
And honestly there's more, but before you point the finger at Lopez or the kids or the offense or the defense, just answer how any other staff would deal with this. They didn't lose 69-14. They've lost 3 games by a combined 8 points..

It's time to circle the wagons, win the next three over Pebble, Socorro, and Montwood and see if that's enough. And if it's not, at least evaluate the year the right way instead of using a rant and blaming people

Don't bring Franklin into your "cry me a river post" this thread wasn't started by a Franklin fan, but yet you wanna throw shade; before you run your smack, Franklin was in the same spot last year; let me think mr Troop; last game of the year you guys are at Franklin:
What if Romney would of played? he was out 1st Qtr
What if Phillips didn't have concussion? he was out
What if Soto played? starting CB was out; i didn't hear you spilling that garbage last year
That didn't stop your players from writing crap on Franklins mirrors
Karma is a mutha; so quit crying
A loss is a loss; have fun sitting at home with your Super Coach
and his decision to go for two was lame as heck; Ive heard nothing but ppl doggin the team i root for
and I'm suppose to feel sorry for your shi%%y season; errrrrrr....think again
your not getting in; face it; may be now you can appreciate how other coaches made 10 straight playoff
runs when your own Bill Belichek couldn't string together 2 in a row

Quote: Supporter
well wasn't there but apparently half time adjustments. you go in at half up 21-7 and loose 24-21.... what does that say.

Agreed.

I'm sick of hearing about eastwood's injuries. You asked the question: "how would any other staff deal with this?" I'll tell how good ones do it since you don't know. They rally around the kid that's replacing the starter. They spend an immense amount of time with that player on the field and in film. They maximize his strengths and try their best to conceal his weaknesses. By the time that kid takes the field, he feels like superman because his coaches have filled him with that confidence. They didn't sit back and rely on their system or their "Division 1 experience" to get the job done. But more importantly, good staffs find a way to win. El Dorado won without Barfield 2 weeks ago. Franklin lost half their team; they beat you with 20 sophomores. Every time Montwood takes the field, they are without 7-11 starters. So cry me a river Troop because that is how bad staffs deal with it.

yeah excuses last week the coach was crying a river on social media about injuries. Bottom line is all the coaches deal with it the good ones make it happen.

I guess they answered your question about being out coached ha ha.

Quote: Commentator

Starting RB m down at halftime against Eldo

I'm sick of hearing about eastwood's injuries. You asked the question: "how would any other staff deal with this?" I'll tell how good ones do it since you don't know. They rally around the kid that's replacing the starter. They spend an immense amount of time with that player on the field and in film. They maximize his strengths and try their best to conceal his weaknesses. By the time that kid takes the field, he feels like superman because his coaches have filled him with that confidence. They didn't sit back and rely on their system or their "Division 1 experience" to get the job done. But more importantly, good staffs find a way to win. El Dorado won without Barfield 2 weeks ago. Franklin lost half their team; they beat you with 20 sophomores. Every time Montwood takes the field, they are without 7-11 starters. So cry me a river Troop because that is how bad staffs deal with it.

Saying El Dorado found a way to win without Barfield when they are playing Socorro is a ridiculous statement LMAO! Are you serious?!?! Did Franklin loss their Starting Qb?! Is Montwood playing without their Starting Qb!?! A Qb is realistically the heart and soul of the majority of teams. Playing with a backup quarterback and having a chance to win in the 4th Quarter is all you can ask for.

Lopez is a VERY good Coach and Eastwood is lucky to have him.I saw MANY years of Eastwood being out coached and this is not that! Eastwood has not lost to a team they blatantly should have beat this season. I Socorro or Pebble Hills even makes a game of it with Eastwood then MAYBE you can start the "Outcoahed" chatter...but until then just let em play! Go Troop!!!

If you go into half time leading by multiple touch downs and after half lose that lead and lose the game. I would dare say you got out coached.

Quote: Fanatic

Saying El Dorado found a way to win without Barfield when they are playing Socorro is a ridiculous statement LMAO! Are you serious?!?! Did Franklin loss their Starting Qb?! Is Montwood playing without their Starting Qb!?! A Qb is realistically the heart and soul of the majority of teams. Playing with a backup quarterback and having a chance to win in the 4th Quarter is all you can ask for.

That's part of your problem. That's all you ask for. And that's exactly what you're getting. A chance, nothing more. People lose starting QBs all the time. Didn't you lose Torres for a few games last year? I didn't hear you crying about injuries then because you had Richie to fall back on. What happens when you have the same type of talent everyone else has? Your coaching needs to get it done plain and simple.

Name one team in the city right now who is playing with a backup QB and winning. The 3 district losses have been by a combined 8 points. Those games could have easily gone the other way.

Could've would've should've but didn't!!! Look weeks ago when the troop lost to Permian you all wanted to be praised and were for a good job and all we heard was oh we played the basically the whole game with a back up QB even the 3rd stringer!! Now that the coach is being OUT coached you wanna blame the QB and injuries which is bogus! Good coaches and good teams find a way to win! Prime example and I know it's not high school but the patriots with Bill Belichick guy is a genius he game planned for not only a second stringer but the third stringer to win while Brady was out they could've easily lost and blamed the fact Brady was suspended but No they found a way to win!!! Your coach is young and is going to get out coached from time to time with more experienced coaches quit crying!!

Quote: Northeastgamer
Could've would've should've but didn't!!! Look weeks ago when the troop lost to Permian you all wanted to be praised and were for a good job and all we heard was oh we played the basically the whole game with a back up QB even the 3rd stringer!! Now that the coach is being OUT coached you wanna blame the QB and injuries which is bogus! Good coaches and good teams find a way to win! Prime example and I know it's not high school but the patriots with Bill Belichick guy is a genius he game planned for not only a second stringer but the third stringer to win while Brady was out they could've easily lost and blamed the fact Brady was suspended but No they found a way to win!!! Your coach is young and is going to get out coached from time to time with more experienced coaches quit crying!!

Again high school football is not the same as NFL... That is their full time job to coach. Not the same case for high school unfortunately.. Still waiting for Commander to name a high school team that is winning or even being competitive in games with their #2 QB...

Again high school football is not the same as NFL... That is their full time job to coach. Not the same case for high school unfortunately.. Still waiting for Commentator to name a high school team that is winning or even being competitive in games with their #2 QB...

Name one team in the city right now who is playing with a backup QB and winning. The 3 district losses have been by a combined 8 points. Those games could have easily gone the other way.

Andress has a good record

Could've would've should've but didn't!!! Look weeks ago when the troop lost to Permian you all wanted to be praised and were for a good job and all we heard was oh

Again high school football is not the same as NFL... That is their full time job to coach. Not the same case for high school unfortunately.. Still waiting for Commander to name a high school team that is winning or even being competitive in games with their #2 QB...

Ok Fanatic, I searched long and hard and couldn't find another team playing with a backup quarterback and winning except El Dorado but you don't want to count that because it was against Socorro, fine. I did some research because I wanted to use a good example and found a doozie. Have you heard of Steven Montez? Colorado's QB that graduated from Del Valle a couple of years ago? His junior year he broke his arm in a game against Ysleta and Del Valle held on to win. Then they plugged in a sophomore safety at QB and beat Canutillo for the district championship and Andress for the bi district championship. So don't tell me you can't win with a backup QB. Is your QB as good as Steven Montez? And what about your backup? We're supposed to feel sorry for you because you have to use a 6'1 220 pound quarterback that can run and throw? Poor, poor Eastwood. Most teams would kill for that. Fanatic, I'm done with you.

Look julio lopez is a good coach. He lacks experience and from what i can tell a working knowledge of defense. He probably got the nob too early because quite frankly eastwood has been loaded and they have underachieved. He will get better with age and experience just like with any job.....but hey he will stop getring all those "move ins" if he doesnt start winning. It is a total let down if he doesnt win out and make the playoffs.

He won't and they won't
as i said before
Eastwood fans can now appreciate how hard it is
to make playoffs in 10 straight years; he couldn't do 2 frkikken years
Permian game seems like years ago
Start getting ready for next year

I think it is clearly visible that Coach Lopez has been clearly outcoached in the games the troopers have lost. You can blame injuries all you want, but a good coach will work with what they have, and not make excuses for poor performances. He is finally seeing what coaching football is all about, many will bring up the 15-16 Troopers, but in reality Coach Lopez had taken over a program that was already destined for success. The 15-16 Troopers had been groomed by Phil Barrios, and were talented enough to make a run in the playoffs regardless of who the coach was. Maybe former OC Coach Molinar would have been the better fit for the head coaching job, because he played a big role in the development of many payers there at Eastwood, he was also a finalist for the job when it was open. I'm hoping things change for the better, but Eastwood is most likely returning the the Coach Ardoin days.....

Quote: steve o
He won't and they won't
as i said before

Forget that Odessa Permian and Eastwood game already.

Permian is not even going to make it to the playoffs. That's how bad they are.

You make Permian seem like they are a powerhouse and just because Eastwood competed with them you use it as a measuring stick????? Let it go already PERMIAN IS NOT MAKING IT TO THE PLAYOFFS JUST AS EASTWOOD IS NOT MAKING IT TO THE PLAYOFFS.

Quote: Edgar
He won't and they won't
as i said before

You make Permian seem like they are a powerhouse and just because Eastwood competed with them you use it as a measuring stick????? Let it go already PERMIAN IS NOT MAKING IT TO THE PLAYOFFS JUST AS EASTWOOD IS NOT MAKING IT TO THE PLAYOFFS.

Well they have to beat montwood to get in. We will see. Ph and soco is a given. But yes he did inherit a perfoect storm of "bandits" lol......lets see what happens theres a chance.

That's part of your problem. That's all you ask for. And that's exactly what you're getting. A chance, nothing more. People lose starting QBs all the time. Didn't you lose Torres for a few games last year? I didn't hear you crying about injuries then because you had Richie to fall back on. What happens when you have the same type of talent everyone else has? Your coaching needs to get it done plain and simple.

No Torres wasn't gone last year at all and it's because had a **** good line and a great supporting cast. He had the best season last year compared to what he had before. This year it's different no excuses they lost it but give them credit they have gone through a lot. There's no superstar on this team like years past just let them play and stop with the bashing it's high school kids

It was two years ago torres got hurt. But he did miss parts of games last year.

He won't and they won't
as i said before

Well they have to beat montwood to get in. We will see. Ph and soco is a given. But yes he did inherit a perfoect storm of "bandits" lol......lets see what happens theres a chance.

So did Americas and El do and other teams heck Cederious was the QB and Muniz from Americas was a bandit so was small fry from Eastlake what's your point if Eastwood has bandits

He won't and they won't
as i said before

Permian is that bad?! I guess Franklin already forgot about their game against them lol

Quote: 915 Fan
He won't and they won't
as i said before

Permian is that bad?! I guess Franklin already forgot about their game against them lol

Yes Permian is that bad and Eastwood probably hasn't forgotten their loss to Franklin.

They will not beat montwood, lopez will choke again by going for it on 4th down and all the other amateur things he does, never really an "era" to end, it's not like they are consistent winners

A couple of people have mentioned that Eastwood QB is a very good baseball player. Not only that, but that he's already got a future lined up for him, in baseball.

Why would thIs young man's parents allow him to come back on the football field? Risk losing out on what really matters to him

Having him play these last few games might have changed things........but maybe not

I guess my point is.....maybe the whole team shouldn't be so dependent of him. Win or Lose move on

Quote: The Observer
I think it is clearly visible that Coach Lopez has been clearly outcoached in the games the troopers have lost. You can blame injuries all you want, but a good coach will work with what they have, and not make excuses for poor performances. He is finally seeing what coaching football is all about, many will bring up the 15-16 Troopers, but in reality Coach Lopez had taken over a program that was already destined for success. The 15-16 Troopers had been groomed by Phil Barrios, and were talented enough to make a run in the playoffs regardless of who the coach was. Maybe former OC Coach Molinar would have been the better fit for the head coaching job, because he played a big role in the development of many payers there at Eastwood, he was also a finalist for the job when it was open. I'm hoping things change for the better, but Eastwood is most likely returning the the Coach Ardoin days.....
Coach Molinar is a very good Coach and they would have done fine with him but that's not the way it worked out. For whatever reason Coach Lopez got the Job and he will do just fine as well. You have to remember Coach Barrios barely made the playoffs as well with a Team that had enough talent to easily be 6A champs! Coach Barrios had plenty of experience.... Coach Lopez is young and EASTWOOD is a far cry from the "Ardoin days" well...at least his last few years because Ardoin was actually a decent coach until he just didn't care anymore toward the end . Eastwood is on the right track ... They have a solid head coach and staff, Great boosters, support of the community and influx of talent every year now. The last few years of the Ardoin Era had none of that so there is a slim to zero chance of going back to that any time soon. GO TROOP!!!

Quote: TrooperX
Coach Molinar is a very good Coach and they would have done fine with him but that's not the way it worked out. For whatever reason Coach Lopez got the Job and he will do just fine as well. You have to remember Coach Barrios barely made the playoffs as well with a Team that had enough talent to easily be 6A champs! Coach Barrios had plenty of experience.... Coach Lopez is young and EASTWOOD is a far cry from the "Ardoin days" well...at least his last few years because Ardoin was actually a decent coach until he just didn't care anymore toward the end . Eastwood is on the right track ... They have a solid head coach and staff, Great boosters, support of the community and influx of talent every year now. The last few years of the Ardoin Era had none of that so there is a slim to zero chance of going back to that any time soon. GO TROOP!!!

Eastwood is not going to the playoffs this year. Your slim to zero chance of going back to that any time soon is already here.

Quote: Rudy

Eastwood is not going to the playoffs this year. Your slim to zero chance of going back to that any time soon is already here.

Explain that one to me Rudy ? Give me a solid fact other than they got beat because that's not a reason. Tell me your vast insight knowledge of how this program and its logistics are going to fail. The fact that you just don't like Eastwood isn't valid either. I can't say they'll make the playoffs but they have a very strong core coming in and good boosters plus yes they are being supported well. So yea they'll be around if you don't like em you sure talk about them and put them down a lot it's obvious they in your mind because if you really didn't care you wouldn't talk.

Quote: Rudy

Big difference between losing some tight games with good teams and missing the playoffs compared to a 27 game losing streak getting blown out in every game,and coming in dead last multiple years in a row. Biggest thing is young athletes want to come to EASTWOOD now and they didn't then. I know that you know this and your being condescending but this deserved a response ...barely...

Ok....after that Pebble Hills game I see the point some of you are making about Eastwood shutting down after the half. I still think it has more to do with this particular group of kids than it does with the Coach or any game adjustments of lack thereof. Something absolutely needs to be addressed though because when you shut down and give a team that is far inferior and behind 34-14 a chance to get back in the game then there is obviously a problem somewhere.

I like to see it as the beginning of an era......Eastwood gets this much respect with a terrible and inexperienced and young coach that makes horrible decisions and ****** off all the other head coaches and referees. Imagine when he grows up. That plus the continued support of certain youth teams which send all their kids there....they can be incredibly average for many years to come.

Just like someone used my name..
This doesn't sound like "supporter"
Didn't know you were a huge non playoff
Bound Eastwood fan.

I like to see it as the beginning of an era......Eastwood gets this much respect with a terrible and inexperienced and young coach that makes horrible decisions and ****** off all the other head coaches and referees. Imagine when he grows up. That plus the continued support of certain youth teams which send all their kids there....they can be incredibly average for many years to come.

Why are you so hung up on a certain youth team and a young coach? Hmmm I wonder all you do is knock em down. You know I'm the first grade that was called having a crush 😂😂😂😂😂

w w w . e p g r i d i r o n . c o m