Forum: EP GRIDIRON
Start a New Topic 

Author
Comment
Proposed UIL 5A reclassification

Come the 2018 realignment and effective the 2018 FB season, UIL is proposing breaking up the 5A schools into two Divisions similar to what they do for 4A and smaller schools.

This proposal would break up 5A into Division I and Division II. Large schools would be Div I, small schools Div II. This means that the El Paso Division I 5A District would be

El Paso Bel Air 2109.5 5A
El Paso Del Valle 1969 5A
El Paso Eastlake 1964 5A
El Paso Chapin 1951.5 5A
El Paso Hanks 1849 5A
El Paso Andress 1714.5 5A
El Paso Jefferson 1639 5A
Canutillo 1639 5A

and the Division II 5A District would be
El Paso Austin 1538.5 5A
Clint Horizon 1522 5A
El Paso Burges 1484 5A
El Paso Irvin 1447 5A
El Paso Parkland 1421 5A
El Paso 1399 5A
El Paso Ysleta 1391 5A
El Paso Bowie 1350.5 5A
El Paso Riverside 1204.5 5A

Would even things out a bit more and certainly make them more competitive.

Another interesting proposal would be the creation of a super 6A classification with schools of enrollment 3500 or larger. That would not affect any of the EP schools but would affect Odessa and Odessa Permian.

Interesting stuff for the future

Re: Proposed UIL 5A reclassification

I've also heard the UIL is tossing around the idea of removing the cap for 6A. For example, let's say they decide to take the 200 biggest schools in the state. This would be done instead of the 2150 student count. Now many schools would go unaffected, but possibly schools like Eastwood (2336), Americas (2359) would be moved down to 5A.

Now I don't think it'll happen with Americas because I've heard they've adjusting the districts boundary lines but Eastwood could be a huge possibility, especially with upcoming construction of the school.

If that would be the case I see the districts ending up:

1-5A
Chapin 1952
Andress 1715
Canutillo 1639
Jefferson 1639
Austin 1539
Burges 1484
Irvin 1447
El Paso 1399
Bowie 1350

2-5A
Eastwood 2336
Bel Air 2110
Del Valle 1969
Eastlake 1964
Hanks 1849
Horizon 1522
Parkland 1421
Ysleta 1391
Riverside 1205

All this is pending on whether Eastlake jumps to 6A also. If they do then it'll be a race between Eastwood and Del Valle for district every year.

Quote: El Ferna
Come the 2018 realignment and effective the 2018 FB season, UIL is proposing breaking up the 5A schools into two Divisions similar to what they do for 4A and smaller schools.

This proposal would break up 5A into Division I and Division II. Large schools would be Div I, small schools Div II. This means that the El Paso Division I 5A District would be

El Paso Bel Air 2109.5 5A
El Paso Del Valle 1969 5A
El Paso Eastlake 1964 5A
El Paso Chapin 1951.5 5A
El Paso Hanks 1849 5A
El Paso Andress 1714.5 5A
El Paso Jefferson 1639 5A
Canutillo 1639 5A

and the Division II 5A District would be
El Paso Austin 1538.5 5A
Clint Horizon 1522 5A
El Paso Burges 1484 5A
El Paso Irvin 1447 5A
El Paso Parkland 1421 5A
El Paso 1399 5A
El Paso Ysleta 1391 5A
El Paso Bowie 1350.5 5A
El Paso Riverside 1204.5 5A

Would even things out a bit more and certainly make them more competitive.

Another interesting proposal would be the creation of a super 6A classification with schools of enrollment 3500 or larger. That would not affect any of the EP schools but would affect Odessa and Odessa Permian.

Interesting stuff for the future

That'd be an interesting realignment & more nicely balanced than the current arrangement (especially from a 1-5a perspective). Hopefully it happens.

I think you miss understand the premise... It would split 5A across the state, not El Paso. The cutoff number would be around 1760, as 125 of 5A schools are above and below that line. As a result, only Bel Air, DV, Chapin, Eastlake, and Hanks would be Division I. The rest would be down in Division II. Still, a very intriguing concept and opportunity for smaller 5As in EP.

You could fill a book with the things that El Paso people don't understand. Big winners in the split will be Parkland and El Paso High.

The current 6a already takes the top 245 schools by enrollment. That is how they determine the cutoff every couple years and that is why the number changes.

I dont see how taking only the top 200 fixes anything. If they stayed at 32 districts you are now talking about 6-7 team districts. More than half making the playoffs would be a joke.

For 5a Ive seen proposed alignments with a cutoff around 1800. That would include 100-120 schools and be limited to 16 districts statewide. I dont know if only 2 or 4 teams would make the playoffs in the hypothecal scenario.

Quote: Coach
I think you miss understand the premise... It would split 5A across the state, not El Paso. The cutoff number would be around 1760, as 125 of 5A schools are above and below that line. As a result, only Bel Air, DV, Chapin, Eastlake, and Hanks would be Division I. The rest would be down in Division II. Still, a very intriguing concept and opportunity for smaller 5As in EP.

Hey Coach,

You are correct. The cutoff between 5A I and 5A II most logically is the 50% mark which is around an enrollment of 1750 students. That would make for some interesting configurations in EP with 5A I having 5 schools and the remaining 12 5A II schools most likely breaking up into two Division II districts. Thanks for pointing that out

El Ferna

Quote: El Ferna
Quote: Coach

Hey Coach,

You are correct. The cutoff between 5A I and 5A II most logically is the 50% mark which is around an enrollment of 1750 students. That would make for some interesting configurations in EP with 5A I having 5 schools and the remaining 12 5A II schools most likely breaking up into two Division II districts. Thanks for pointing that out

El Ferna

Sounds like a good setup. I kinda like when there are fewer schools per district. With less of the schedule allocated to district games, good teams have more opportunities to arrange games vs. other good teams in non-district to get the team ready for playoffs.

All good stuff on this thread, and one actually worth chiming in on. We all know, what ever the I-35 corridor wants, the I-35 corridor gets... we're just along for the ride!

w w w . e p g r i d i r o n . c o m