EP GRIDIRON
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Playoff Talk

With only one week left in the regular season things are heating up in each district with teams securing their playoff positions and competing for the coveted district title.

Hypothetically speaking,

1-6A

What happens in District 1-6A if El Dorado beats Americas tonight and Americas goes on to lose their final game of the season to Franklin next week? And if MW beats Eastwood next week will they be crowned district champs because of their win over El Dorado? Or will we see a coin flip?

2-5A

What happens in District 2-5A if Eastlake wins their game tonight against Ysleta and goes on to beat Canutillo next week? Could we see a three way tie between De Valle, Eastlake, and Canutillo?

1-5A

What happens in District 1-5A if Andress, Chapin, and Bowie all win their respective games tonight? And Bowie goes on to beat Jefferson next week, while Andress beats Chapin. Could we see a three way tie between Bowie, Andress, and Chapin?

Re: Playoff Talk

I guess some people are salty because their team has no chance of making the playoffs this season, while others that do don't want to see any scenario playout that doesn't include their team wining the district title outright. In any case we will know where teams stand in the rankings by next Friday! And it starts tonight in District 1-6A in a matchup between El Dorado and Americas.

Boaz
I guess some people are salty because their team has no chance of making the playoffs this season, while others that do don't want to see any scenario playout that doesn't include their team wining the district title outright. In any case we will know where teams stand in the rankings by next Friday! And it starts tonight in District 1-6A in a matchup between El Dorado and Americas.

Most won't comment in this thread as their team will not make it to the Playoffs this year or they will not comment because some people don't want to jink their team so they won't talk but if their team wins the first round game then they will be in here posting telling us all to support their team in the playoffs against the out of town team. They will post and post about their team in the 2nd round.

Then there are those who will post who's team also did not make it to the Playoffs but will post by telling everyone that their program needs an entire coaching overhaul and want their current head coach out there. The blame game on the coaches will begin and that is what they will post.

El Pasoans are like that.

Lets wait until after tonights game chief.

Take it one game at a time. Worry about the team in front of us, yada, yada, yada.

I believe if teams end up tied (same district record) then they are considered Co-Champs or Tri-Champs or whatever no matter who beat who during the season.

The coin flip only comes into play to determine playoff seeding if they are in the same playoff bracket (Big vs. Small School) to determine the #1 seed and #2 seed for the District.

Two teams got their first district loss tonight...Chapin and Americas.

What are your comments on the teams vying for district titles and the playoff picture?

In 1-6a the pressure will be on Montwood and Americas to win their respective games against Eastwood and Franklin. While El Dorado has it easier against Pebble Hills. A win by all three teams will put them in a three way tie for district.

Suddenly ELDO peeps will become Franklin fans!!!
love 6a!!!!

Small school big school I think no matter the size of the school, they should do 1 vs 4, 2 vs 3, this side of Texas is ridiculous UIL is ridiculous small school big school is hogwash

So the drama continues in 1-6A:

MW beat ELD
Americas beat MW
ELD beat Americas

Could we see an upset next week between Americas/Franklin or Montwood/Eastwood?

I heard on the radio that 2-5a has a point differential tie-breaker. Im not sure how the seeding would work out if theres a 3away tie since Del Valle beat Eastlake. If canutillo wins then Eastlake is the 2nd seed in Div 1 and Del Valle the 1st. If Chapin beats Andress then it is Eastlake vs Chapin rematch and Del Valle- Andress for the 20th time in the past 10 years (feels like it).

Parkland vs Bowie is locked in as is Canutillo vs Burges/El Paso. Playoffs start now for Mustangs and Tigers.

RolyPoly
I heard on the radio that 2-5a has a point differential tie-breaker. Im not sure how the seeding would work out if theres a 3away tie since Del Valle beat Eastlake. If canutillo wins then Eastlake is the 2nd seed in Div 1 and Del Valle the 1st. If Chapin beats Andress then it is Eastlake vs Chapin rematch and Del Valle- Andress for the 20th time in the past 10 years (feels like it).

Parkland vs Bowie is locked in as is Canutillo vs Burges/El Paso. Playoffs start now for Mustangs and Tigers.

yea I was trying to figure out if the 3-way tie breakers are just to determine who makes the playoffs rather than the actual seeding. It would seem pretty simple just to use head-to-head breakers once you know who the 4 playoff teams are since we would automatically know which 2 are going to the big division.

However assuming they use the 3-way breakers for seeding, Eastlake would win that if they beat Canutillo due to Del Valle's blowout loss to Canutillo. Del Valle's net points in the tie would be -25 (-28 canut +3 eastlake) and Eastlake's net points would be something above >-3 (-3 del valle +? canut).

Thus Eastlake would be 'B1' and play the loser of Chapin/Andress, and Del Valle would be B2 and play the winner of Chapin/Andress. The only way for Del Valle to be the B1 is for Eastlake to lose next week.

mausDE
RolyPoly

yea I was trying to figure out if the 3-way tie breakers are just to determine who makes the playoffs rather than the actual seeding. It would seem pretty simple just to use head-to-head breakers once you know who the 4 playoff teams are since we would automatically know which 2 are going to the big division.

However assuming they use the 3-way breakers for seeding, Eastlake would win that if they beat Canutillo due to Del Valle's blowout loss to Canutillo. Del Valle's net points in the tie would be -25 (-28 canut +3 eastlake) and Eastlake's net points would be something above >-3 (-3 del valle +? canut).

Thus Eastlake would be 'B1' and play the loser of Chapin/Andress, and Del Valle would be B2 and play the winner of Chapin/Andress. The only way for Del Valle to be the B1 is for Eastlake to lose next week.

The most points you get are 14. So Dv is -14 against Canutillo and +3 against Eastlake. So they are -11. Eastlake is -3, and Canutillo is +14.

This thread subject line reminded me of Jim Mora....Hehe

"Playoffs?! Don't talk about playoffs! Are you kidding me? Playoffs?! I'm just hoping we can win a game, another game!"

Jim Mora

Correction

The most points you get are 14. So Dv is -14 against Canutillo and +3 against Eastlake. So they are -11. Eastlake is -3, and Canutillo is +14.

Good point. I missed that comment about the cap in the rulebook. Either way, it's impossible at this point for DV to come out ahead of Eastlake in the event of a tie.

DV will be the 1 seed division I no matter what the outcome with eastlake/ canutillo. They beat Eastlake head to head. Point system is irrelevant. Eastlake will play the winner of Chapin/Andress and Del Valle will play the loser of Chapin/Andress. An Eastlake win vs Canutillo will give 2-5a a trip champion. Canutillo DV and Eastlake. A Canutillo win will put Canutillo as District champions DV 2nd Eastlake 3rd parkland 4rh

Interesting analogy.

Corrected correct
DV will be the 1 seed division I no matter what the outcome with eastlake/ canutillo. They beat Eastlake head to head. Point system is irrelevant. Eastlake will play the winner of Chapin/Andress and Del Valle will play the loser of Chapin/Andress. An Eastlake win vs Canutillo will give 2-5a a trip champion. Canutillo DV and Eastlake. A Canutillo win will put Canutillo as District champions DV 2nd Eastlake 3rd parkland 4rh

Unless things have changed ....... your statement is untrue !!!!!!! Last time there was a three way tie in district was 2013. Del Valle beating Eastlake head to head does not give them the number one seed automatically ... If you do some fact checking on maxpreps 2013 Eastlake beat Del Valle by 3 points 17-14 that year head to head and lost to Canutillo 49-0, Del Valle beat canutillo 10-6 and Del Valle got the 1 seed and played Andress which was the 2 seed that year and was based on the point system....Needless to say Eastlake played chapin which was the 1 seed . So Like I said unless things have changed ... Game between canutillo and Eastlake will determine the 1 and 2 seed for Division 1.

Each district has their own individual tie breaking process that all head coaches agree on at the beginning of the season. For some it's head to head and for others it's margin of victory and it becomes a point process. The tie breaking process can change from year to year

Corrected correct

Dont think this is true. If eastlake wins they will most likely be ahead of del valle in a 3-way tie. Head-to-head wont matter much. We will see, only the current tiebreakers show us how they decide seeding. Do they seed before they break up big/small school or do they break big/small then seed each Div? That makes all the difference.

I saw on twitter Franklin will play San Angelo in first round of playoffs. November 11 in San Angelo

West Texas fan
I saw on twitter Franklin will play San Angelo in first round of playoffs. November 11 in San Angelo

CLASS 6A 

DIVISION I
Region I
Midland at El Paso El Dorado
El Paso Franklin at San Angelo Central

DIVISION II
Region I
Wolfforth Frenship at El Paso Americas
El Paso Montwood at Amarillo Tascosa

CLASS 5A DIVISION I

Region I
El Paso Eastlake vs. El Paso Chapin
El Paso Andress vs. El Paso Del Valle

DIVISION II

Region I
El Paso Parkland vs. El Paso Bowie
El Paso Burges vs. Canutillo

Well SAN ANGELO is ranked 5th in state
40th in NATION; officially toughest overall schedule
ever in El PASO 6A football; Go Cougars!!

Boaz
CLASS 6A 

DIVISION I
Region I

DIVISION II
Region I

CLASS 5A DIVISION I

Region I

DIVISION II

Region I

Boaz, do you happen to know the times and dates on playoff games ?

Time
Boaz
CLASS 6A 

DIVISION I
Region I

DIVISION II
Region I

CLASS 5A DIVISION I

Region I

DIVISION II

Region I

Boaz, do you happen to know the times and dates on playoff games ?

They are just projections. Games, dates, times, are not set in stone yet. Not unless Boaz has a crystal ball and can see the future like Juco.

Glad those are just projections. Franklin @ San Angelo isn't a good match up.

Franklin will play San Angelo, that is not a projection......

asap

San Angelo or Franklin may be busted for something just as Onate was but later forgiven. Anything can happen. Playoffs are not set in stone yet they are merely projections.

Westsider
asap

San Angelo or Franklin may be busted for something just as Onate was but later forgiven. Anything can happen. Playoffs are not set in stone yet they are merely projections.

Franklin @ Central set for Friday, Nov 11 7pm

RolyPoly

Are you sure? Because Episd might not be able to get buses for the trip, UIL might cancel playoffs because of weather, or better yet because Onate had an ineligible player that was later ruled eligible......

asap
RolyPoly

Are you sure? Because Episd might not be able to get buses for the trip, UIL might cancel playoffs because of weather, or better yet because Onate had an ineligible player that was later ruled eligible......

It's not set in stone. Anything might happen. That's a mere projection at this time.

Westsider
asap
RolyPoly

It's not set in stone. Anything might happen. That's a mere projection at this time.

You afraid the Bobcats are going to put 80 on dem Franklin boyz? Keep hoping and praying for something to happen so the game is cancelled. They might drop 100 on em.

AT LEAST WE GET A SHOT TO BE SCORED ON
I CAN THINK OF A FEW TEAMS SITTING AT HOME NOT DOING
CHIT ON THAT WEEKEND.

Doesn't midland Lee have a chance to get in? They play Odessa Permian which seems like an easier foe than Tascosa going up against SA central...then there'd be a 3 way tie for 2 playoff spots. If Lee were to get in they'd be division 1 moving SA central to division 2

Keep in mind that these are projections only and subject to change.

JustAfan
Doesn't midland Lee have a chance to get in? They play Odessa Permian which seems like an easier foe than Tascosa going up against SA central...then there'd be a 3 way tie for 2 playoff spots. If Lee were to get in they'd be division 1 moving SA central to division 2

No. Tascosa and Frenship are locked in as Div II playoff teams from 2-6A. Regardless of what Lee does this week, they are already out. Seeding is already set too.

Friday Nov 11 / 7:30p

Midland @ El Dorado (El Paso, TX)

Screen shot these brackets....

RolyPoly
JustAfan

No. Tascosa and Frenship are locked in as Div II playoff teams from 2-6A. Regardless of what Lee does this week, they are already out. Seeding is already set too.

According to Midlands newspaper, if Midland Lee beats Permian and San Angelo defeats Tascosa, Lee will be in and Tascosa out because of a Lee victory of Tascosa earlier in their district match up. If nothing changes on that end, Division II matchups will depend upon the Americas and Montwood games as to what their seeding will be. If Montwood loses or they win and Americas does too, they travels to Amarillo to play Tascosa. If Americas loses and Montwood wins, they host a rematch game with Frenship.

If Lee, Tascosa and Frenship end up tied at 3-3, Lee is out. Not sure how many times one has to repeat this. In a three team tiebreaker, the Rebels are odd man out. The point differential puts Tascosa and Frenship ahead of Lee. Lee beat Tascosa, but Tascosa beat Frenship and Frenship beat Lee. You cant use a head to head tiebreaker BEFORE the points differential.

The reporter who covers Midland Lee reported an inaccurate statement regarding Lee's playoff chances.. The district 2 playoff teams are locked in and the playoff games against El Paso teams are set.

West Texas fan
The reporter who covers Midland Lee reported an inaccurate statement regarding Lee's playoff chances.. The district 2 playoff teams are locked in and the playoff games against El Paso teams are set.

For Div I I know the two games are set but I do not think that is true of Div II.

Midland @ El Dorado
Franklin @ Central

I dont know if Midland Lee result can affect whether Frenship or Tascosa are 1/2 seed. Head to head Tascosa beat Frenship, but if Lee beats Permian theres a 3-way tie so Frenship might jump to top seed in DII. Americas and Montwood results will determine who ends up where.

Amarillo is hosting a first round game and Frenship will travel to El Paso for a first round game..

updated Bidistrict/Area bracket from what I can gather on maxpreps & elsewhere tonight:

5a Big division:
Andress vs. Eastlake (winner plays Amarillo/Lub.Monterey)
Chapin vs. Del Valle (winner plays Caprock/Lub.Coronado)

5a Small division:
Canutillo vs. Burges (winner plays Dumas/Ab.Cooper)
Parkland vs. Bowie (winner plays Canyon/Lub.Cooper)

6a Big division
El Dorado vs. Midland (winner plays Keller Central/Arl.Bowie)
Franklin vs. SA Central (winner plays Timber Creek/Arl.Martin)

6a Small division
High seed Montwood/Americas vs. Frenship (winner plays Abilene/Arlington)
Low seed Montwood/Americas vs. Tascosa (winner plays Fossil Ridge/Mansfield)

If Americas loses tomorrow, Montwood is high seed. If Americas wins, I think the seeding will be decided by coin flip due to 3-way tie w/ El Dorado.

Bonus 6a Big division
Los Fresnos (District 32-6a) vs. Edinburg North
Los Fresnos is coached by Patrick Brown (former Andress HC, Franklin OC, Chapin assistant)

mausDE
updated Bidistrict/Area bracket from what I can gather on maxpreps & elsewhere tonight:

5a Big division:
Andress vs. Eastlake (winner plays Amarillo/Lub.Monterey)
Chapin vs. Del Valle (winner plays Caprock/Lub.Coronado)

5a Small division:
Canutillo vs. Burges (winner plays Dumas/Ab.Cooper)
Parkland vs. Bowie (winner plays Canyon/Lub.Cooper)

6a Big division
El Dorado vs. Midland (winner plays Keller Central/Arl.Bowie)
Franklin vs. SA Central (winner plays Timber Creek/Arl.Martin)

6a Small division
High seed Montwood/Americas vs. Frenship (winner plays Abilene/Arlington)
Low seed Montwood/Americas vs. Tascosa (winner plays Fossil Ridge/Mansfield)

If Americas loses tomorrow, Montwood is high seed. If Americas wins, I think the seeding will be decided by coin flip due to 3-way tie w/ El Dorado.

Bonus 6a Big division
Los Fresnos (District 32-6a) vs. Edinburg North
Los Fresnos is coached by Patrick Brown (former Andress HC, Franklin OC, Chapin assistant)

I will try to make the Fresnos game (I live in Brownsville now)

w w w . e p g r i d i r o n . c o m