EP GRIDIRON
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Franklin @ Americas

Who has the edge in this one? Predictions?

Re: Franklin @ Americas

observer
Who has the edge in this one? Predictions?

Don't know what you mean by edge but Franklin has more playmakers on their team than Americas but if Franklin stays predictable by running the ball with Seth Dominguez Americas will beat them.

Josh Fields will beat Seth Dominguez in a running boxingbout. Franklin coaches trying to eat up the clock while on offense to keep Josh Fields off the field and on the sideline will be a huge blunder and a long night for Franklin.

If Franklin spreads the wealth as they did against Coronado they are tough to beat and Americas has no chance but again if Franklin tries to go blow by blow running and running the ball against Josh edge I guess as you put it goes to Americas.

Isn't Americas defense much better than Franklins? I haven't seen Americas play this season just going off prior threads.

observer
Isn't Americas defense much better than Franklins? I haven't seen Americas play this season just going off prior threads.

Ask me that question 2 to 3 weeks ago the answer to your question would be yes but with the playoffs basically here and Americas coming off a loss devastated by not winning the district crown outright solo and with Franklin gaining steam with full momentum this late in the regular season only a fool will not see which teams are getting stronger and others getting weaker.

Well El Do is rolling at the perfect time. Franklin has looked better the past few weeks, Americas will be a great test to see if Franklin is prepared to be competitive in the playoffs.

But you are absolutely right if Franklin doesn't fall into the trap of making in a RB battle with Seth and Josh they should be able to score faster, and more often than Americas. Josh will be the best RB on the field regardless, not saying Seth is a slouch but Josh is out of is mind this season.

Josh Fields rushed for 163 yards and 4 TDs against Montwood in a game that Americas won, he rushed for 205 yards rushing against El Dorado in a game that they lost. So what was the difference between these two games? Both MW and Eld each had their own defensive strategy to contain Fields. But despite the best of plans Fields is a difficult running back to contain, as he has shown time and time again this season.

Keys to Victory for Franklin:

1. The best defense against Americas is no defense...which simply means keeping Americas offense off the field as much as possible.

2. Franklin has a pretty good RB named Seth Dominguez that they should use to establish their own running game early.

3. Against Americas, Franklin needs to play a mistake free game.

4. Eld never game Americas the opportunity to return kick-offs which always put them on the 25 yard line.

5. Don't under estimate Americas ability to pass the football. The QB made some nice passes against both Montwood and El Dorado to Tremaine Henderson.

Keys to Victory for Americas:

1. Continue to do what they do best...run the football and control the clock.

2. Play good defense.

3. Take advantage of Tremaine Henderson's speed and his ability to catch the football and exploit the weaknesses in Franklin's defense.

Franklin has more than Seth Dominguez; have you guys not been to the last
two games!!! They didn't win because of Seth Dominguez
You guys don't know Franklin at all!!!
Go back and watch the tape
they need to worry about more than Seth Dominguez

I don't think anyone was taking anything away from the other players on Franklin.

The leading rusher on the team is Seth Dominguez and that's why he was mentioned. But some of the other impact players for Franklin include:

QB Hatch
WR Phillips
WR/CB Baca
WR Lyles

The point I was trying to make is Franklin needs to establish the run early in the game. But it won't be easy and they can't rely solely on the run.

Boaz
Josh Fields rushed for 163 yards and 4 TDs against Montwood in a game that Americas won, he rushed for 205 yards rushing against El Dorado in a game that they lost. So what was the difference between these two games?

Coach Melton will always make sure Josh gets above 150 yards or more a game. It's in Josh's contract with Coach Melton LOL Only kidding don't get all bent out of shape.

But on a serious note Josh versus El Dorado when El Dorado was up over 20 points. El Dorado's defense softened up alot knowing with that comfortable lead as they had the game in the bag. I wouldn't put to much into that run Josh broke in the final minute or so of the game. Not sure how many yards that long run was for I think it was nearly 72 yards to the house. If you like to count padded stats and make the player seem more talented than he actually is then that is up to you and others.

I have enjoyed watching Fields since he played in the city league. And padded stats or not he's talented.

I remember his team losing every year in city league

Boaz
I have enjoyed watching Fields since he played in the city league. And padded stats or not he's talented.

I agree he is talented but not 5 stars, 4 stars or 3 stars talented. In my opinion he is 2 to 2 1/2 stars talented.

Well fortunately for the players, the fans don't get to decide who is a 5,4,or 3 star player. I don't put much stock into these ratings because good players go unnoticed all the time. But Fields is rated as a 3-Star player on 247Sports.

Boaz
Well fortunately for the players, the fans don't get to decide who is a 5,4,or 3 star player. I don't put much stock into these ratings because good players go unnoticed all the time. But Fields is rated as a 3-Star player on 247Sports.

I can do or say anything I want as it's my opinion and he is no 5, 4 or 3 star athlete. At best he is 2 to 2 1/2 stars. That Boaz is my opinion just as you posted your opinion by saying that fans don't get to decide who is a so so player. Who are you to say that?? It's your opinion and you and everyone else is entitled to their opinions.

Juco gives and takes stars away from any athlete. It's only my expert opinion that's all.

Juco's universe blanketed with stars from El Paso, TX

Tyquez Hampton a Juco 3 1/2 to 4 star athlete
Cedarious Barfield a Juco 2 1/2 to 3 star athlete
Kevin Henderson a Juco 2 1/2 to 3 star athlete
Cameron Hill a Juco 1 to 1 1/2 star athlete
Deion Hankins a Juco 2 1/2 to 3 star athlete
Patrick Sullivan a Juco 2 1/2 to 3 star athlete
Josh Fields a Juco 2 to 2 1/2 star athelte
Kolton Lindeman a Juco 2 to 2 1/2 star athlete
Tyrese Andrus a Juco 2 to 2 1/2 star athlete
Evan de Anda a Juco 2 to 2 1/2 star athlete
Andrew Fernandez a Juco 1 1/2 to 2 star athlete
Aaron Moya a Juco 2 to 2 1/2 star athlete
Kaleb Hatch a Juco 2 to 2 1/2 star athlete
Eric Phillips a Juco 2 to 2 1/2 star athlete
Seth Dominguez a Juco 1 to 1 1/2 star athlete
Matthew Zubiate a Juco 2 to 2 1/2 star athlete
Mondarious Johnson a Juco 1 to 1 1/2 star athlete
Ryan Wilson a Juco 1 to 1 1/2 star athlete
Adrian Chavez a Juco 1 1/2 to 2 star athlete
Keith Lopez Tarrango a 1 1/2 to 2 star athlete
Raymond Montez a Juco 1 1/2 to 2 star athlete

There are alot of athletes at a Juco 1 to 1 1/2 stars but the list is way too long to post for as it is my fingers are already tired and starting to cramp up. Players like Josh Wells, Luis Baca, Jamiel Garcia, and a boat load of others. Dammm they are cramping really bad shet sorry I need to stop my dammm fingers. Peace out

Really???? Tyquez 4star?? Didn't he get 20 D1 offers.. Juco get your funny 😂 a$& off this thread

True1
Really???? Tyquez 4star?? Didn't he get 20 D1 offers.. Juco get your funny 😂 a$& off this thread

I respect your opinion but even ESPN's opinion on Tyquez Hampton is 4 stars as well. So if you disagree with ESPN's opinion about Tyquez email them and give them your opinion just as you did to mua Juco ruler of the Juco universe.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/217836/tyquez-hampton

Hell 247 sports has Tyquez with 3 stars. You better email 247 sports and give them your opinion as well.

http://247sports.com/player/tyquez-hampton-45902

Lol how many stars do you have juco lololol........

Supporter
Lol how many stars do you have juco lololol........

I have lots of stars been collecting them when I was but a wee little brave boy. My gramps and pop taught me all about the stars. How to collect them and how to give them. Some used to call me a starchild many moons ago.

Lol share them with our kids so they can get recruited.

Back to the Franklin @ Americas game.

I'm giving Franklin a slight edge in this game...Franklin 28 Americas 24.

Boaz and Juco have had too much candy!

Lol @steveo

If Franklin pulls the upset that will be a great way to end a rough early season, with high motivation heading on the road next week.

Franklin has given up 381 pts this year, better than only hanks, irvin, socorro and austin, Americas rolls big

Cray cray
Franklin has given up 381 pts this year, better than only hanks, irvin, socorro and austin, Americas rolls big

Americas has lots of wwweaknesses. So many nicks and cracks on both sides of the ball.

Franklin wins easily by double digits.

Cray cray you sound crazy! Lol you can't compare like that. Coronado hadn't been blown out all year until the westside bowl, lot's of things factor into why Franklin has given up so many points. Like non district schedule for one... Franklin has suffered one major lost in District play and that was against El Do, who handled Americas well.

Did Americas role big against Coronado, El Do, Eastwood, or Montwood? Lol...

This should be an entertaining game. Does it really matter who wins? Are they not both in the playoffs, no matter the outcome? If I am wrong PLEASE correct me. ED and FHS big school, AHS and MHS small school? Back to the game. Have seen each team play several times this year. I agree, Josh is an outstanding back. He can change the game on a single snap, score from anywhere on the field. Two things working against Americas, if you stop Josh, you stop Americas. Yes, they have other talent, but this leads into the other element working against AHS, Coach Melton---still one of the worse coaches in El Paso. He has had so much talent over the years, and has failed to pull it all together. I think FHS has a better balance of talent and options on offense. If the weather stays as predicted, rain, AHS may have the advantage, but give FHS a chance to run and throw, I give the advantage to FHS. Should be a close game either way. See you at the SAC, rain or shine.

I predict that Josh Fields will overtake Deion Hankins as the #2 ranked RB in Texas tomorrow night.

Current Rankings:

#1 (SR)Kennedy Brooks (Mansfield)
Carries:198
Yards: 2218 Yards
TDs: 23

#2 (SOPH)Deion Hankins (Parkland)
Carries:263
Yards: 2068
TDs: 16

#3 (SR)Josh Fields (Americas)
Carries: 264
Yards: 2000
TDs: 25

For Franklin, (JR)Seth Dominguez is currently ranked #67.
Carries: 194
Yards: 1169
TDs: 10

Boaz
I predict that Josh Fields will overtake Deion Hankins as the #2 ranked RB in Texas tomorrow night.

Current Rankings:

#1 (SR)Kennedy Brooks (Mansfield)
Carries:198
Yards: 2218 Yards
TDs: 23

#2 (SOPH)Deion Hankins (Parkland)
Carries:263
Yards: 2068
TDs: 16

#3 (SR)Josh Fields (Americas)
Carries: 264
Yards: 2000
TDs: 25

For Franklin, (JR)Seth Dominguez is currently ranked #67.
Carries: 194
Yards: 1169
TDs: 10

It is amazing and great to see when you and others compare a El Paso, TX HS football Sophomore to a Senior. Props to Deion. It's not everyday or every season when people compare a Sophomore to a Senior especially in state rankings. Deion the Sophomore is in a class of his own even if Josh the Senior surpasses him. Bright future for Deion.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with making comparisons nor is it something to be viewed in a negative way. Unlike some people on the forum, I support all players in ELP regardless of what team they play for, especially if they are stat leaders at the state level. And don't hate on one player over another. So props to both players including Dominguez, who will definitely be one of the stat leaders next season as a Senior.

Americas 19
Franklin 14

2Q

Thanks for update

Get to work doza

RolyPoly
Americas 19
Franklin 14

2Q
Update us please?

2nd Half about to KickOFF

Franklin 21 Americas 25

I'm pretty amazed at the lack of fan support on the Franklin side. I mean when they're winning they're out in droves, but when they have a struggling season the team is on its own. Pretty disappointing cause Franklin is doing pretty good!!

Cats32
I'm pretty amazed at the lack of fan support on the Franklin side. I mean when they're winning they're out in droves, but when they have a struggling season the team is on its own. Pretty disappointing cause Franklin is doing pretty good!!

Lack of support at Franklin has been a big problem these last 4 years.

Today's game was no different.

Who won

What is the score

America's 61-42

Can't blame the defensive coordinator on this game! Guys were in the right position to make plays and didn't make plays! You can't make the tackle or plug the hole, shed a block etc for the kids. Cougars defense just didn't want to tackle fields this morning. Great job offense, great strategy DC. Defensive players you owe it to yourself, your coaches, your offense, and supporters, to play with passion and pride next week.

WhoKnows
This should be an entertaining game. Does it really matter who wins? Are they not both in the playoffs, no matter the outcome? If I am wrong PLEASE correct me. ED and FHS big school, AHS and MHS small school? Back to the game. Have seen each team play several times this year. I agree, Josh is an outstanding back. He can change the game on a single snap, score from anywhere on the field. Two things working against Americas, if you stop Josh, you stop Americas. Yes, they have other talent, but this leads into the other element working against AHS, Coach Melton---still one of the worse coaches in El Paso. He has had so much talent over the years, and has failed to pull it all together. I think FHS has a better balance of talent and options on offense. If the weather stays as predicted, rain, AHS may have the advantage, but give FHS a chance to run and throw, I give the advantage to FHS. Should be a close game either way. See you at the SAC, rain or shine.

Lol

Mark51doza
Who won

Josh Fields won

Coronado 77
I remember his team losing every year in city league

I remember the Americas Trailbazers and Josh Fields defeating Coronado the last 4 years.

Spitfire
Mark51doza
Who won

Josh Fields won

Americas Trailblazers won despite getting torched in the passing game. I like that running back #21 from Franklin. He is a beast. Plus Franklin QB was hooking up with #7 the entire day.

No excuses and props to Americas on their win but senior Eric Phillips of Franklin hardly played. Other Franklin seniors were out did not play and Franklin had two Sophomores at receiver the entire game #10 and #30.

America's defense is not very good.

Then why bring it up! Too funny always throwing out an excuse. Why didn't they play?

Hahaha Americas D not as bad as Franklins D!!!

I'm not sure why Phillips didn't play... That had nothing to do with the 61 points scored...

Americas enjoy that jumbotron Eastlake Falcons build.

FALCONS NATION
Americas enjoy that jumbotron Eastlake Falcons build.

ha ha this is funny they are trolling Americas.

Franklin's defense; inconsistent
PAINFUL!! ; SAN ANGELO may score 80!

Maybe... Maybe not... like I said the game plan was right coaches can't tackle for the kids.

What's guaranteed is Franklin has the opportunity to compete in the Texas state playoffs.

Franklin has the opportunity to shock the state of Texas with an upset win over San Angelo. It's going to be tough as San Angelo is solid on both sides of the ball and Franklin has to travel up there which I believe is a 6 hour drive.

Anyways it's the Texas State Playoffs and what better to start the playoffs than to have the opportunity to compete against a quality top opponent who happens to be a Top 10 team in the entire State.

Good Luck Franklin and remember to have fun as you earned to be in the playoffs and remember to keep your head up no matter what. Enjoy the experience.

observer
Maybe... Maybe not... like I said the game plan was right coaches can't tackle for the kids.

Just trying to clarify the game plan that gave up 60+ points was right?????? Wow

observer

Hard to tackle for kids when fields runs 85 yards without being touched

observer

4 times

NO DEFENSE
NO PHILLIPS
NO TACKLING
NO CHANCE

SORRY JUST HOW I SEE IT

steve o
NO DEFENSE
NO PHILLIPS
NO TACKLING
NO CHANCE

SORRY JUST HOW I SEE IT

Phillips played 2 and a half quarters until he was knocked out of the game. Americas was hitting him hard he limped around the whole game. Don't know if he was hurt going in but he for sure was hurt during this game. I want to say he got hurt on a kick off return.

and as for the game plan.....seriously.......you can not be for real. Franklins defense doesn't exist we all know that. Hope Central does't put up 100. If phillips is hurt we will have a long day next week. Im really concerned with how many times Kaleb was sacked....he took a beating as well and so did Seth......

on another note......baca had a day like he hasn't had in a while that will help going into the playoffs.

seriously
steve o
NO DEFENSE
NO PHILLIPS
NO TACKLING
NO CHANCE

SORRY JUST HOW I SEE IT

Phillips played 2 and a half quarters until he was knocked out of the game. Americas was hitting him hard he limped around the whole game. Don't know if he was hurt going in but he for sure was hurt during this game. I want to say he got hurt on a kick off return.

and as for the game plan.....seriously.......you can not be for real. Franklins defense doesn't exist we all know that. Hope Central does't put up 100. If phillips is hurt we will have a long day next week. Im really concerned with how many times Kaleb was sacked....he took a beating as well and so did Seth......

on another note......baca had a day like he hasn't had in a while that will help going into the playoffs.

You don't know jackshet. Eric Phillips was playing injured as it happened the game before Americas which was against Coronado. Stop talking out of your ass and research your shet before you talk all tough.

CougarNation
seriously
steve o
NO DEFENSE
NO PHILLIPS
NO TACKLING
NO CHANCE

SORRY JUST HOW I SEE IT

You don't know jackshet. Eric Phillips was playing injured as it happened the game before Americas which was against Coronado. Stop talking out of your ass and research your shet before you talk all tough.

Don't know if you read where I said I don't know if he was hurt going in but he for sure was hurt during the game......so yeah he was limping around the whole game.....don't make excuses we didn't have a good year and got better during the year but lets be honest our wins have come against teams with losing records.....so calm down

Observer how can you say that it's not the DC? Did you at home the same game that everybody else watch? Anytime they ran tha ball it was only 2 the right and you mean to tell me that you can't adjust 2 the run? Obviously they are a quote power run team and you mean to tell me you can't adjust to it. There was many different ways to beat that run. Yeah the kids did miss tackles not denying that utilizes if the coach had put them in better position to make a better chance at making a tackle then maybe that kid would not have almost 250yrds rushing. Like I said before and I say it again out with the old in with the new it is a shame that 1. You a head coach and your playbook is horrible with the same plays. It's about able to adjust and those coaches show time and time again why they lose or giving up big yards and plays. I'm just saying I have never in my life of playing football and watching football to where one school with talented kids get beat that many times with the score 60+. 5 games out of 10 where you get beat 60+ with giving up 4 or 5 hundred yrds don't make since. When most or all the kids played with the Texas Tribe they had way more plays on both sides of the ball and made adjustments. It's to easy. Once again get coaches in that wanna win and can win.

I can't even comprehend what was just typed

Lol @ supporter

Watch film kids were in positions to make plays and didn't want to! Cray cray I've bashed the DC all year I just thought this game was different, 8-9 man in the box what else can you do?

observer
Watch film kids were in positions to make plays and didn't want to! Cray cray I've bashed the DC all year I just thought this game was different, 8-9 man in the box what else can you do?

Ask the Americas coaches to coach ur team up or get better players, that's all u can do, sorry

The problem with Franklin's 4-4 defense is that it has not addressed the alley lanes off the tackle and it continues getting beat on the corners. Permian punished Franklin off tackle as did El Dorado and Americas. The OLB's must protect the outside, leaving the tackle, ILB and FS to make a play in the alley. Which is not happening. So, the DC must address and that is not happening.

Agreed, San Angelo may score 80. Someone said Franklin has a shot at pulling an upset. Wow, San Angelo will give them that shot, right in their _ ss!

Well they may lose..
but i don't see how anybody especially from 5A can keep the hate going
sick of the 5A fans....your own coaches know the entire 5A with Chapin is sorry
we asked for support..but you idiots wanna keep hating lets do it!!!
let see keep doggin programs I'm just getting warmed up
I've stayed quiet lets do this

purple wave
Well they may lose..
but i don't see how anybody especially from 5A can keep the hate going
sick of the 5A fans....your own coaches know the entire 5A with Chapin is sorry
we asked for support..but you idiots wanna keep hating lets do it!!!
let see keep doggin programs I'm just getting warmed up
I've stayed quiet lets do this

Keep crying and complaining but like someone else said, if you want to play with the weak teams and weak districts, cut your school in half and field two teams. Lets see how good you really are if your school only has 1400-1500 students.

Franklin is weak so stop crying. They would get stomped by some 5A programs. Typical and ignorant

Franklin at 4-4 and a playoff team. Not a playoff team and I would say they would struggle with the 5A programs. I heard they have a freshman starting in defense. Your team is weak if you are pulling up 9th graders because your upper class can't get it done.

My opinion if you give up an avg 50+ a game, you cannot be an average team. There are a few teams like El Dorado, Americas, And that have very good teams with quality players. The same for Chapin, Canutillo, Andress, Del Valle., and Eastlake. Those team could play in the 6A. Franklin don't hate on proven programs just because your team has not performed.

Franklin would beat any El Paso 5A team. Canutillo would be the only team that could beat them, only because of Canutillo's defense though. This 4-4 defensive scheme has been ther Achilles heel because they do not have the skill set at tackle, ILB and corner to compete against the top tier 6A teams. El Dorado, Americas and Montwood has proven that; each of these teams exposed Franklin's weakness of not protecting corner coverage and defending the off tackle alley.

franklin would win district in both 5a districts........please stop with the drama.......

Supporter
franklin would win district in both 5a districts........please stop with the drama.......

They have 2800 students. Of course they would probably win both districts. Canutillo would win the district Clint is in too. Canutillo would beat Cathedral and win the TAPPS independent title too. Doesnt matter. Schools HAVE to play at their level based on enrollment. How about Franklin worry about winning their district and beating the teams that are their same size and in their same playoff bracket?

Retread
Supporter

They have 2800 students. Of course they would probably win both districts. Canutillo would win the district Clint is in too. Canutillo would beat Cathedral and win the TAPPS independent title too. Doesnt matter. Schools HAVE to play at their level based on enrollment. How about Franklin worry about winning their district and beating the teams that are their same size and in their same playoff bracket?

ALLEN has close to 7000 kids
soooooooooo.....they are in our bracket
your argument is filled with CHIT; about school size!!!
This why i cant support Canutillo; funny; all year;
LOOK AT US: SOMEONE FIRES BACK AND SUDDENLY
THEY ARE THE BAD GUY
nah vato; abra la boca y sierra los ojos guey
your team 2-7 if you come to 6A
traigar bien

Purple Wave give it up dude. We finished 4-6. We are not a good team this year!!!!!!

Give it up Purple Wave. We finished 4-6. We are not a good team this year!!!!

Im with him though do t say your the vest but then turn around and say but you have more kids.....smh....just say we will be in playoffs longer. We all know there is no comparison

I like Franklin but we are not good so coming on hear arguing about what if is irrelevant. You can't take away the talent that's on Canutillo football team or any other school, regardless of size. Our performance has not been good this year. Yes we are 6A but we don't play well against other solid teams. We can't get stops and our kids are out matched.

But my point is Franklin would not be outmatched by canuts

We agree to disagree. They are better.

w w w . e p g r i d i r o n . c o m