Forum: EP GRIDIRON
Start a New Topic 

Author
Comment
Coach Kugler and the UTEP Miners

This season I've heard a lot of talk about Coach Kugler being old school and he doesn't believe in running a spread offense. Last season the Miners finished the season 5-7. But going into his 4th season the Miners have already lost 6 games and are projected to lose next week against Houston Baptist. This season the UTEP Miners is having a serious problem with attendance which may force Coach Kugler to re-exam his game philosophy or maybe even abandon it all together. Because right now, even with one of the top RBs in the nation, Aaron Jones, it's simply hasn't been enough to win games for UTEP and attract a consistently flow of fans. I predict that unless some drastic changes are made within the program, Coach Kugler may soon find himself out of a job. If not this season the next, so I'm curious to know what do others think about the possibility of Coach Kugler losing his job? And with only 5 games remaining on the schedule what should he be doing to change UTEPs sudden downfall this season? Lastly, who thinks Aaron Jones should enter the 2017 Draft or return for his final season with the UTEP Miners?

Re: Coach Kugler and the UTEP Miners

College Football i$ an entire different beas$t for there'$ politic$ and lot$ of other thing$ involved at that level. $o I wouldn't only point the finger, or u$e the middle finger up, at Coach Kugler and his $taff I would also direct it at Utep'$ Athletic Director Bob $tull and the other power$ that be in hi$ circle.

In my opinion the one who $hould go, quit, re$ign, or be fired i$ Bob $tull. That will be a $tart at getting Utep finally on the winning track but on the winning track on their $chedule and on the actual football field$ in beating team$ and going to Bowl$ every year.

BOB STULL NEEDS TO GO
I AGREE: GET RID OF HIM
KUGLER IS NOT THE MAIN PROBLEM
STARTS HIGHER: BOB STULL MUST GO!

Natalicio is the problem.........

Look at all the programs that bring in people and they are suffering.

UTEP Basketball has been mediocre at best the last six year with Tim Floyd NIT and CBI berths but those mean nothing when you lose right away. All we ask to is to go to the big dance like the Great Don Haskins use to do and on one occasion won it all. Here in El Paso going to the big dance every other year would be sufficient.

UTEP Football has been descent at best in the past four years at least they have made a bowl game. I will give Coach Kugler much credit for taking in El Paso Players. How great of a team would we have if we had Montez from Del Valle at the helm, and Jones at running back. Kugler has the tools to get to a bowl game it is matter, I believe next year will be there year as long as O.C. opens up the offense a bit more.

As for Aaron Jones he is not an NFL ready, if he would enter the draft he would go undrafted, he still needs to bulk up and get stronger in order to be NFL ready for those NFL hits. Jones be patient and give us one more year and take us to the promise land and lets win a bowl game. This would give you a year to get healthier, stronger, and bigger.

Slow your roll homie, no one is projecting Houston Baptist to beat UTEP. UTEP will probably be favored to win by 2-3 TDs. Now, if they lose then yeah, burn down the program.

I somewhat agree with you about Jones entering the 2017 Draft. But let's use former Boise State football player Jay Ajayi (229lbs) as an example. Ajayi suffered a torn ACL in 2011 but in his final season at Boise State he amassed 1,425 yards and 18 touchdowns. But despite medical concerns, Ajayi was drafted in the 5th round as the 149th pick by the Miami Dolphins in the 2015 NFL Draft. Many people believe he fell in the draft due to his injury. Ajayi recently rushed for 214 yards against Pittsburg and 214 against Buffalo.

Back to Aaron Jones (215lbs)...who has already suffered an ankle injury that sidelined him the entire 2015 season. So far this season Jones has 940 yards rushing(ranked 10th in the nation)after 8 games with 5 games remaining on the schedule. Jones is on pace to amass more yards then Ajayi did in his final season with Boise State. So should he run the risk of getting hurt his final season? Or take his chances in the draft?

Quote: Boaz
I somewhat agree with you about Jones entering the 2017 Draft. But let's use former Boise State football player Jay Ajayi (229lbs) as an example. Ajayi suffered a torn ACL in 2011 but in his final season at Boise State he amassed 1,425 yards and 18 touchdowns. But despite medical concerns, Ajayi was drafted in the 5th round as the 149th pick by the Miami Dolphins in the 2015 NFL Draft. Many people believe he fell in the draft due to his injury. Ajayi recently rushed for 214 yards against Pittsburg and 214 against Buffalo.

Back to Aaron Jones (215lbs)...who has already suffered an ankle injury that sidelined him the entire 2015 season. So far this season Jones has 940 yards rushing(ranked 10th in the nation)after 8 games with 5 games remaining on the schedule. Jones is on pace to amass more yards then Ajayi did in his final season with Boise State. So should he run the risk of getting hurt his final season? Or take his chances in the draft?

I personally don't know Aaron Jones situation such as his life or his family's life and it's none of my business and its noones business but situations of a player, family, ecetra ecetra ecetra play into it if a college player should roll the dice and hope they land in your favor during draft day.

In my opinion Aaron Jones should play another year at UTEP no matter what situation he is in but if he happens to believe that UTEP will repeat and go down the same path as this season then he should gamble on the NFL draft and pray the dice land in his favor.

Decision decisions. Isn't life beautiful. We humans have choices.

This conversation is about football and not his personal life. We know that Aaron will do what's best for himself and his family. But it doesn't stop fans from speculating about the future.

The Texas Longhorns just fired Head Coach Charlie Strong after his third consecutive losing season.

Since arriving at UTEP Coach Kluger has had one winning season in 2014 when the Miners finished the season 7-6 Overall and 5-6 in Conference. A season that has been quickly forgotten following two consecutive losing seasons in 2015 and 2016. The only positive thing to come out of this season is RB Aaron Jones moving up on UTEP's All-Time rushing record.

If UTEP loses to North Texas today they will end the season 3-9 Overall and 1-7 in Conference, only one winner better then Kugler's first season with the Miners in 2013, when the Miners finished 2-10 Overall and 1-7 in Conference.

Furthermore, ticket sales are seriously low this season as well. It may be time for UTEP's Director of Athletics to seriously consider making a change at the end of this season! Starting with the Head Coach and the Offensive Coordinator.

The Texas Longhorns clearly care about winning. Let's see what UTEP does after this season. Will they dump Kugler or give him one more season to turn the program around? Only time will tell.

The Texas Longhorns just fired Head Coach Charlie Strong after his third consecutive losing season.

Since arriving at UTEP Coach Kluger has had one winning season in 2014 when the Miners finished the season 7-6 Overall and 5-6 in Conference. A season that has been quickly forgotten following two consecutive losing seasons in 2015 and 2016. The only positive thing to come out of this season is RB Aaron Jones moving up on UTEP's All-Time rushing record.

If UTEP loses to North Texas today they will end the season 3-9 Overall and 1-7 in Conference, only one winner better then Kugler's first season with the Miners in 2013, when the Miners finished 2-10 Overall and 1-7 in Conference.

Furthermore, ticket sales are seriously low this season as well. It may be time for UTEP's Director of Athletics to seriously consider making a change at the end of this season! Starting with the Head Coach and the Offensive Coordinator.

The Texas Longhorns clearly care about winning. Let's see what UTEP does after this season. Will they dump Kugler or give him one more season to turn the program around? Only time will tell.

In my opinion Utep's Bob Stull and the powers that be do not care about actually winning (the games) they care about winning (other thing$). Anyways it's been like this forever at Utep and they like the way that it is. They will just keep playing merry go round with coaches. If coach Kugler wants to stay they will let him stay even with his horrible record and if Kugler want to leave he can leave and the next head coach will be the next puppet.

Westsider, you may be correct but money talks. If there are no fans at the games no money is being made. So it must make dollars and sense even for Bob Stull or his job could also be in jeopardy.

Westsider, you may be correct but money talks. If there are no fans at the games no money is being made. So it must make dollars and sense even for Bob Stull or his job could also be in jeopardy.

Come on Boaz don't you go blaming us El Pasoans for not supporting Utep football. There's lots of blame to go around and it starts with Utep's President Diana Natalicio. That's where the blame should begin and then take the blame to the high stakes hidden phantoms who contribute to Utep athletics and then take that blame to Bob Stull who should be fired by Diana Natalicio and the high stake'rs followed by tossing some blame at Utep's marketing department for doing a horrendous job then blame the Utep students right behind them cause Utep students should be filling the stadium during home games then give some blame to the media and then if there is any blame left to give after that blaming fest point the little that remains at us El Pasoans.

It is about money. Unlike Texas, UTEP cannot afford to pay 2 coaches. If they fire a coach they still have to pay for the years remaining on his contract and also pay the new coach. Yes they can work out a buyout but that still is more then they can cover.

Texas has alumini that pony up the cash.UTEP does not have those deep pockets.

UTEP will never get the "big name" coach. They will have to he satsfied with a young new coach that possibly could turn the program around. If he can do that then the big schools come and get him because no money to pay what those schools can.

What do you do?

Quote: Ram98
It is about money. Unlike Texas, UTEP cannot afford to pay 2 coaches. If they fire a coach they still have to pay for the years remaining on his contract and also pay the new coach. Yes they can work out a buyout but that still is more then they can cover.

Texas has alumini that pony up the cash.UTEP does not have those deep pockets.

UTEP will never get the "big name" coach. They will have to he satsfied with a young new coach that possibly could turn the program around. If he can do that then the big schools come and get him because no money to pay what those schools can.

What do you do?

What do you do you ask? Well duh you shut down the football program. When something is not making money or when that something is not supported shut it down.

Coach Kugler is fighting the resistance forces to no success but he does have some up top listening to him.

Quote: Westsider

Come on Boaz don't you go blaming us El Pasoans for not supporting Utep football. There's lots of blame to go around and it starts with Utep's President Diana Natalicio. That's where the blame should begin and then take the blame to the high stakes hidden phantoms who contribute to Utep athletics and then take that blame to Bob Stull who should be fired by Diana Natalicio and the high stake'rs followed by tossing some blame at Utep's marketing department for doing a horrendous job then blame the Utep students right behind them cause Utep students should be filling the stadium during home games then give some blame to the media and then if there is any blame left to give after that blaming fest point the little that remains at us El Pasoans.

For once, I agree with you on this one Westsider.

You just proved my point...everybody that you mentioned, regardless of their official title is an El Pasoan, so yes we are to blame for the dismal ticket sales because true fans support their teams whether they win or lose. The stadium should have been packed the entire season by students and fans alike.

BTW I was at the game on Sat and admit that I was very surprised at UTEPs performance, and asked myself the same question most of the fans in attendance asked. Where was this UTEP team all season long? It was truly the best performance by the Miners that I've seen in years. They closed out the season on a positive note but raised a lot of questions about next season, particularly whether or not Jones returns for his final season.

I just don't understand why we can't compete. I have heard all the excuses. The fact is that we have an outstanding facility that meets or exceeds the standards of ALL the other CUSA teams. We have a Campus that meets or exceeds the standards as well. So why can't we be seriously competitive??? I don't want to hear about difficulties in recruiting! ARMY mopped the floor with UTEP and I cant think of a team that would have more difficulty recruiting Blue Chip athletes. Their academic standards exceed ours and the military requirement scares away a lot of top prospects away so why can a team like that not only beat us but they embarrassed us!!! Just hoping to get some input on this because I'm baffled.

I think at least Kugs is recruiting EP kids. It takes time to build a consistent winning program. If Utep gets rid of Kugs new staff might forget about recruiting EP. I say keep him and time will pay off.

the recruiting ep thing is what is ******* me off. i remember on this forum people constantly saying well if he recruited more el paso kids maybe attendance would be better.......well how did that work out. attendance is a joke and so are el paso football fans. if you want more wins then some of the el paso kids that have gotten offers would need to not get offers. you cant have it both ways. you cant be getting el paso kids and 9 win seasons. if our kids were that good we would have teams playing in december of their hs season. i ask this question......how many kids on uteos team that are from el paso had an offer from another school......before you check the answer 0.....so like i said you cant have it both ways. the exception is jones he should been a multiple offer guy.

Overall, UTEP is in a location that is hard to recruit. People outside of El Paso, think we aren't part of Texas. Mike Price did the best at recruiting, because he was successful before coming. Kugler isn't near successful to what Price did. First off, Dr. Natalicio isn't focused on our sports right now, she is focusing on our academics side of UTEP. She isn't going to fire any of our coaches, example: Tim Floyd, she wants UTEP to be a top academic school that students can afford and get a great education. I am all for that, and if you think that football is more important than future generations getting a degree then something is wrong. Dr. Natalicio, recognizes we need a more competitive team on the field and I am for that as well. UTEP needs to work one thing at a time, and hope Kugler can put together recruiting classes together to make UTEP successful. I graduated from UTEP and I can say that I love my school a lot and I know we need to improve things, but it doesn't happen overnight. I know this season was a disappointment, but if Kugler can put things together next season we can go to a bowl game.

Quote: Utep_supporter
Overall, UTEP is in a location that is hard to recruit.

Exactly! I think geography plays a big part. No too many people fond of going to a border town to play ball and go to school.

this is a crap statement. quit making excuses. price was a better recruiter period.

Quote: supporter
this is a crap statement. quit making excuses. price was a better recruiter period.

I did say Price was a better recruiter no doubt. He had a resume of being a successful head coach. Kugler is a first time head coach when he started at UTEP. You have to believe that he had struggles those first recruiting classes. Now, with 4 recruiting classes he should know who to target and aim for. Killer has the right mindset, but he offense philosophy is difficult to do with the talent we can get.

Many schools have issues with recruiting. ARMY pounded UTEP. You don't think they have issues with recruiting??? They have MUCH higher academic standards, a military obligation after graduation, excessive physical standards( must pass a MEPS type physical) and an increased workload while in school yet they can still put together a team that comes in here and completely embarrasses us! This is not going to be a popular opinion but in my opinion if you want to see part of the problem at UTEP then look no further than the post game interviews with UTEP athletes then compare them to other teams like ARMY. UTEP athletes referring to their head coach as "Kugs" is just ridiculous and just an example! Character discipline and respect go a long way in producing a winning team. I believe Coach Kugler can be a good coach but obviously he needs to get a handle on some things.

Quote: TrooperX
Many schools have issues with recruiting. ARMY pounded UTEP. You don't think they have issues with recruiting??? They have MUCH higher academic standards, a military obligation after graduation, excessive physical standards( must pass a MEPS type physical) and an increased workload while in school yet they can still put together a team that comes in here and completely embarrasses us! This is not going to be a popular opinion but in my opinion if you want to see part of the problem at UTEP then look no further than the post game interviews with UTEP athletes then compare them to other teams like ARMY. UTEP athletes referring to their head coach as "Kugs" is just ridiculous and just an example! Character discipline and respect go a long way in producing a winning team. I believe Coach Kugler can be a good coach but obviously he needs to get a handle on some things.

I agree with you on the "Kugs" thing. UTEP wasn't ready for the triple option in that game. Our DC didn't know how to stop a triple option. The triple option is tough to stop if you never seen it. Overall the worst game by UTEP in a long time. Army was good at the offense due to knowing what to run and doing efficiently. Navy is the same way, which is why you see them beat Norte Dame and compete with power schools.

Congratulations to both Aaron Jones and Will Hernandez on their All-American selections! The attention is great for them, the team, and the city.

I think UTEP is a tough place to recruit, but not impossible. I moved here a year and a half ago and we love it here. UTEP is a beautiful campus and has great academic programs. I think the border issue is over blown. I am sure some schools use it as a negative talking point in recruiting. Recruit some Midwestern kids and have them visit, they will fall in love with the weather. Problem is, they are a long way from home. Recruit California kids, the weather is old news to them. Recruit Texas kids, they have other options. UTEP does not sell itself. You have to stand out in recruiting. That takes more than just the head coach.

w w w . e p g r i d i r o n . c o m