Forum: EP GRIDIRON
Start a New Topic 

Author
Comment
Cathedral Fighting Irish going to State!!!

Cathedral is the first 11-man football team from El Paso to go to State.

History!!!!

So what do you think about that?

Re: Cathedral Fighting Irish going to State!!!

Good job!!

Quote: CFI

History!!!!

Play some real teams and in a real district. Arent they in an independent district?A group of 5-6 rejects that dont play anyone are making up titles now? Ok...

Who cares...

7-3 and look at the teams you lost to lmao.... 1 playoff game and you are in a state title game lmao... stop it.

WHO

History!!!!

Congratulations but there is noway you would beat the top teams in El Paso nor the bottom teams in El Paso. Hanks, Jefferson, Horizon, Socorro, Irvin, Pebble Hills, El High, Austin, and every other El Paso team will beat Cathedral. Just look at the history of Cathedral against El Paso teams. You will see the truth which is that Cathedral loses majority of the time.

So congratulations but you shouldn't have posted that within a board where people like myself know that every team in the Canutillo District, Ysleta District, El Paso District, Socorro District, would easily beat Cathedral.

Who did they beat to make history Loretto Academy and Father Yermo and St. Pious,. They don't count because nobody really keeps up with Cathedral.

Jealousy gets you nowhere

http://www.elpasoproud.com/sports/cathedral-football-to-play-for-state-championship-saturday

Cathedral Fighting Irish
Enter to Learn, Leave to Serve

Lol @ CFI

Im sorry but when it comes down to EL PASO FOOTBALL , Cathedral never comes to mind

That's Great news!!! Bring it home Cathedral!!

Go Falcons!

Congratulations Cathedral.
Pretty sad and pathetic to see the "crab in the barrel " syndrome focused towards these kids and what they can accomplish. I don't care what district or whatever they are in or not in they are representing El Paso. Are some of you so small minded and petty that you cannot support and cheer for these kids?

Congratulation to the Cathedral Fighting Irish, bring the state title back to El Paso.

CONGRATULATIONS TO CATHEDRAL FOR MAKING HISTORY!!!

Pretty sad and pathetic? If you want your program to be respected play at least 1 quality team! Just 1!.... State championship, when the rest of Texas is still praying district games lmao

It's no shade to the kids, I am referring to the coach who made the thread.

History!!!!

Not a fan of how you chose to announce this but I hope those kids bring it home

So here it is ,the El Paso Times does not acknowledge them in the top 25 before the season start and EPGRIDIRON does not acknowledge them in the top 25 as well,so yeah.

Almost as boring as 6 man football.....good luck!

Only 5 teams qualified for the playoffs, with Cathedral being one of them.

http://www.theathleticsdepartment.com/tournaments/TAPPS-Football-Playoffs/teams/

Cathedral garbage

Play a real team. No one cares if you win or not on Saturday.

Quote: not oscar
Only 5 teams qualified for the playoffs, with Cathedral being one of them.

http://www.theathleticsdepartment.com/tournaments/TAPPS-Football-Playoffs/teams/

So they are playing for a district title? Good for them, still not a state title.

Wow. Can't help to notice most of the negative comments on here are coming from Canutillo supporters. Listen guys, football is not always played to prove you are the biggest, fastest or strongest team around, it is played as a form of discipline and team work, and to accomplish an opportunity at state at any level of recognition of their hard work, discipline and unity. If Canutillo makes it to state would you appreciate people making negative comments because they didn't accomplish it at the 6A level? Before the season started these same screen names made negative comments towards the state 7 on 7 qualifiers, if Canutillo had made it would they still bash these teams that did? We would have not heard the end of it for years to come. One thing I do know about Cathedral kids is they are very smart kids with bright futures ahead of them outside of football, and that's what it's about. Maybe one day they will hire your kid or when fire him. Don't bash these guys for their team accomplishments. Being a Westside person I was rooting for Canutillo on Friday, but I think instead I will go sit with some classy folks on the opposite side and root for them, you Canutillo adults have to stop making your kids look bad, the city is starting dislike you more and more. Congratulations to the Irish, go get us a championship boys.

Congratulations to Cathedral but Cathedral coaches, players and their followers best you not think and say that Cathedral's team this year are better than all El Paso teams simply because they made it to State. Understand and educated yourselves in knowing that the road to state is way way easier to get to for Cathedral than any other El Paso team.

It will be a big mistake for Cathedral coaches, players and their followers to compare themselves to El Paso teams like by thinking they got to the State championship first than any other El Paso team in the last 70 years. That would be wrong for them to do as the competition of football is at a different level within the school Districts so comparing would be a mistake especially comparing to a small private school.

I can tell you right now that there is no way that Cathedral would be able to beat Bowie this year much less El Dorado or any higher up teams. Bowie would beat Cathedral atleast by 30 points and El Dorado would beat Cathedral by atleast 60 points. Enrollment plays a factor and that is why you cannot compare.

So to all Cathedral coaches, players, and their followers congratulations on making history for Cathedral's football program. Props to you all. Good luck and bring home the hardware to your school.

Interesting that you would say that enrollment plays a factor when you just bashed Canutillo for not beating Franklin whom by the way, has twice the enrollment. That's also a fact bud.

Anyways, Go Irish!! Bring it home boys!

I'm embarrassed to be an El Pasoan, so many negative comments to our kids that go and play for Cathedral. What does it matter if it's 6-man or private or 6A football, they are representing El Paso, but after reading this $hit, you all who attacked and bashed these kids should be ashamed of yourselves. Probably one of the worst post for El Paso. Go Cathedral make yourselves proud and your families. Good luck.

Quote: ......
Interesting that you would say that enrollment plays a factor when you just bashed Canutillo for not beating Franklin whom by the way, has twice the enrollment. That's also a fact bud.

Exactly my point. If you think for one second. You should try it it won't hurt you you won't leak fluid through your eyes and ears. Don't be afraid to think and especially don't be afraid to be unbiased.

Consider what El Dorado, Franklin, Montwood, and other 6A teams during the playoffs are up against. Better competition as programs have a bigger pool to fish out of. And 6A El Paso teams play a 6A out of town team in the first round of the Playoffs compared to 5A El Paso teams that play a 5A El Paso team in the first round. Some 5A El Paso teams every playoff season usually get a cupcake team in the first round of the playoffs. That is fact!!! While some 6A El Paso teams have to travel out of town in the first round of the playoffs 5A El Paso teams stay put in the city of El Paso in the first round of the playoffs. That is fact!!!

So when Canutillo made history in 2014 some Canutillo followers thought that Canutillo were the best team in all of El Paso just as Cathedral followers are thinking today. So before any team in the El Paso area thinks they are better than this team or that team they need to put some thought into it and don't be so quick to think their team is top dog in the city just because they go deep into the playoffs.

The road to state in class 6A is tougher and yes 5A is tough as well but like you agreed upon enrollment plays a factor.

Quote: mark50doza
I'm embarrassed to be an El Pasoan, so many negative comments to our kids that go and play for Cathedral. What does it matter if it's 6-man or private or 6A football, they are representing El Paso, but after reading this $hit, you all who attacked and bashed these kids should be ashamed of yourselves. Probably one of the worst post for El Paso. Go Cathedral make yourselves proud and your families. Good luck.

Hope they lose by 50. CHEERS

Ya right 6A teams always lose ,so why do they lose if they are playing schools with the same enrollment, there's no excuses you guy Lose lose and lose every year and who cares if the other team is from out of town they still kick your butt here or there,Canuts beats teams from here and out there no excuses and another thing 6A teams here all beat each other that's why they can't compete out there.So do something and win playoff game against schools your size.

Quote: RolyPoly
Quote: mark50doza

Hope they lose by 50. CHEERS

Figures someone would post something this stupid!!! Mark50doza is correct. Roly Poly and others should be ashamed of themselves.

You also should be ashamed for not winning any games in the playoffs.

Quote: Flint
You also should be ashamed for not winning any games in the playoffs.

Did Canutillo play both Lincoln and Henderson Middle School this year? See if you can get the Bandits youth team on your schedule next year.

Ram98 I know you played Fabens and Tornillo.

Quote: Juco
Quote: ......

Exactly my point. If you think for one second. You should try it it won't hurt you you won't leak fluid through your eyes and ears. Don't be afraid to think and especially don't be afraid to be unbiased.

Consider what El Dorado, Franklin, Montwood, and other 6A teams during the playoffs are up against. Better competition as programs have a bigger pool to fish out of. And 6A El Paso teams play a 6A out of town team in the first round of the Playoffs compared to 5A El Paso teams that play a 5A El Paso team in the first round. Some 5A El Paso teams every playoff season usually get a cupcake team in the first round of the playoffs. That is fact!!! While some 6A El Paso teams have to travel out of town in the first round of the playoffs 5A El Paso teams stay put in the city of El Paso in the first round of the playoffs. That is fact!!!

So when Canutillo made history in 2014 some Canutillo followers thought that Canutillo were the best team in all of El Paso just as Cathedral followers are thinking today. So before any team in the El Paso area thinks they are better than this team or that team they need to put some thought into it and don't be so quick to think their team is top dog in the city just because they go deep into the playoffs.

The road to state in class 6A is tougher and yes 5A is tough as well but like you agreed upon enrollment plays a factor.

Just remember on 5A, yes they get an El Paso team in the first round, but they also get a 2nd round caliber opponent in the second round. If El Paso teams drew out of town teams in the first round, theoretically they get an easier team than the second round.

1 more thing Ram98 your team in the playoffs is as terrible as your School colors.Lola.

History will only remember the final game, bring it home Cathedral ignore the hate. In 20 years the history books will show only one thing, the result.

and in 20 years your boys will be college graduates, doctors and lawyers and running the city while most of the kids in public schools will be flipping burgers and digging ditches. So there's that...

And if Big Red is from Bel Air ,history will always remember you as LOSER. LOL

And if Big Red is from Bel Air ,history will always remember you as LOSER. LOL
I didnt go to Bel Air but i do have 2 nephews who are on the team and fight very hard each week, just as every player before them has done. i dont think EPGridiron should stay around if you guys are just going to put these kids down past or present.

Well if you can't figure out Big Red is from BA then that explains why your from canutillo and not cathedral...

Let me ask you this, how many kids from your state playoff run went on to a major college, I mean major not permian basin university. Well 100 % of catherdral graduates are ACCEPTED into major colleges.

"The school has a 100% graduation rate and over 90% of the school's graduates continue their education at university level"

don't hate bro, you dont like their accomplishments in football, what about afterwards, is that acceptable with you. or are their accademic accomplishments not good enough either?

the hate on kids on this site is incredible...

Thank you someone Finally FIGURED IT OUT ,SO CATHEDAL STICK TO WHAT YOU DO BEST AND THAT IS HITTING THE BOOKS ,BECAUSE AS FAR AS FOOTBALL NO HITTING THERE,SO GOOD LUCK ON YOU FLAG FOOTBALL GAME.

Hey but we have 5 trophies in one year, how much do you have buddy boy Little Red

And all you talking crap about Canutillo really need to learn your facts. That 2014 year Franklin rolled through district 1-6A and Canutillo probably gave them them the toughest game that year besides Mayfield and Tascosa (who are actually 6A schools by the way;) ). So to to say Canutillo couldn't compete with 1-6A school L's is complete horse ****. Dont say Canutillo wasn't the best in the city because at one point they were, besides they did it with half the enrollment you 6A schools have. Canutillo would easily be El Paso's wrecking crew if they had 2800+ students like you 6A schools do. But no, we do it with 1600 hundred students because that's the Canuts way. ;) 10-0 baby!!!!

Quote: Big Red
History will only remember the final game, bring it home Cathedral ignore the hate. In 20 years the history books will show only one thing, the result.

and in 20 years your boys will be college graduates, doctors and lawyers and running the city while most of the kids in public schools will be flipping burgers and digging ditches. So there's that...

Wow!? So which one are you???? I was educated in public school and I think I'm doing ok in life. It's just a name and price tag. Like everything else, it's all up to the person how hungry they are in life and on the football field for that matter. The sport teaches many critical life lessons, it challenges, motivates and indoors inspires the person. So take that garbage somewhere else after all this is a football forum.

I think they are going to TELEVISE IT ON THE CARTOON CHANNEL.

BIG RED SAYS THAT WE ARE HATING ON THE KIDS ,Man its not that at all ,its about having an Outstanding Football Team and everyone in El Paso acknowledging it ,that they are good and beat good teams, but they don't that's why none noticing ,this one win playoff game then you go to state .WHAT A JOKE.

That's a pretty ignorant statement man. Cathedral is basically a scam so the Cd. Juarez country club crowd can feel somehow superior. Sure there are some successful alumni, but I guarantee that most of these shakers and movers came out of public schools like Coronado. I can personally atest to the lack of quality of academics at Cathedral. I'm talking seniors with no grasp of basic algebra concepts, this is partially due to the "my daddy pays tuition so you better pass me" mentality. Sending your kid to Cathedral is like wearing Polo Ralph Lauren, the product is of average quality, yet the sticker price and logo make you feel better for your ignorance and lack of taste. Cathedral's state title is like getting an associate's degree from Southwest University, whereas a 5A or 6A UIL state title is like a PhD from MIT in chemical engineering.

I think they are going to TELEVISE IT ON THE CARTOON CHANNEL.

No it will be on Telemundo. lol

Quote: Tdiddy

That's a pretty ignorant statement man. Cathedral is basically a scam so the Cd. Juarez country club crowd can feel somehow superior. Sure there are some successful alumni, but I guarantee that most of these shakers and movers came out of public schools like Coronado. I can personally atest to the lack of quality of academics at Cathedral. I'm talking seniors with no grasp of basic algebra concepts, this is partially due to the "my daddy pays tuition so you better pass me" mentality. Sending your kid to Cathedral is like wearing Polo Ralph Lauren, the product is of average quality, yet the sticker price and logo make you feel better for your ignorance and lack of taste. Cathedral's state title is like getting an associate's degree from Southwest University, whereas a 5A or 6A UIL state title is like a PhD from MIT in chemical engineering.

Nice burn Tdiddy.. "my daddy pays for tuition" just classic... You forgot all that tuiton paid by Narcos with blood money.

These negative post are an example to why El Paso will never reach the levels of success other cities experience. The poster was bringing to light the fact that Cathedral was going to state, which many of us were unaware of. Instead of celebrating their success, many of you choose to bring up irrelevant information like their family income and IF they played a 6A school. Why can't we all be happy for each other?

We have NEVER won a state championship as a city and instead of us coming together and supporting our local kids we choose to tear them down. I am not saying go to the game or even watch it but words of encouragement will only help these kids because best believe they are reading these comments.

Just like how Canutillo was one game away from a state championship appearance, y'all choose to bring up how Franklin beat them instead of celebrating the fact that one of our cities teams was one game away from a championship.

If it's athletes posting these comments, maybe y'all should go hit the field and improve your game and focus on bringing a "real" state championship. If It's parents posting these comments then maybe y'all should reevaluate your priorities and focus on your kids success on the football field and in life. It's sad that you have to bring down high school kids just so your kids can feel they are accomplishing something by "trying" to win a playoff game.

Many of you will ignore my comments or bash them but that's ok. The people who understand will acknowledge me; constructive criticism is always appreciated.

Good lucks to Cathedral and all its athletes and good luck to all the teams that will be competing next week. This is the playoffs, WIN OR GO HOME, lets support our kids and hopefully we will all celebrate a State Championship regardless of the school.

Quote: Coronado Alumni

Just like how Canutillo was one game away from a state championship appearance, y'all choose to bring up how Franklin beat them instead of celebrating the fact that one of our cities teams was one game away from a championship.

or like certain fans using Canutillo's run as leverage to bash on other EP teams 2 years later...

These negative post are an example to why El Paso will never reach the levels of success other cities experience. The poster was bringing to light the fact that Cathedral was going to state, which many of us were unaware of. Instead of celebrating their success, many of you choose to bring up irrelevant information like their family income and IF they played a 6A school. Why can't we all be happy for each other?

We have NEVER won a state championship as a city and instead of us coming together and supporting our local kids we choose to tear them down. I am not saying go to the game or even watch it but words of encouragement will only help these kids because best believe they are reading these comments.

If it's athletes posting these comments, maybe y'all should go hit the field and improve your game and focus on bringing a "real" state championship. If It's parents posting these comments then maybe y'all should reevaluate your priorities and focus on your kids success on the football field and in life. It's sad that you have to bring down high school kids just so your kids can feel they are accomplishing something by "trying" to win a playoff game.

Many of you will ignore my comments or bash them but that's ok. The people who understand will acknowledge me; constructive criticism is always appreciated.

Good lucks to Cathedral and all its athletes and good luck to all the teams that will be competing next week. This is the playoffs, WIN OR GO HOME, lets support our kids and hopefully we will all celebrate a State Championship regardless of the school.

A horrible comment that many will ignore and I feel bad for you for wasting so much time on it.

Very well said Alumni!! Good job Cathedral!!

Quote: Cats32

Very well said Alumni!! Good job Cathedral!!

Congrats to the Cathedral Irish. Making El Paso and Horizon City Proud.

Congratulations Cathedral for your state championship. Cross Country and now Football, good job.

History!!!!

Jesuit High School (RIP) Cathedral's rival was actually the first to play for a state championship. If memory serves me it was 1972 or 1973. Jesuit was coached by Carlos Lowenberg who later coached Jefferson and Austin with success. The game was actually played in the Sun Bowl with Jesuit losing I cannot recall the opponent. Jesuit closed shortly after and their campus became Hillcrest Middle School. But good luck to Cathedral it is still an accomplishment for them.

no one is interested.

Lets talk REAL FOOTBALL MAN.

Stop the hate and worry about how Canutillo is going to handle the Dumas Demons or Cooper Cougers next week. If you don't like the thread don't read it. You are not a very nice person but you will fit in nicely with Donald Trump's vision of America. How sad!

Quote: Good for You
Stop the hate and worry about how Canutillo is going to handle the Dumas Demons or Cooper Cougers next week. If you don't like the thread don't read it. You are not a very nice person but you will fit in nicely with Donald Trump's vision of America. How sad!

Tap dem brakes son. Eagles have to get past Burges tonight. If they take them lightly they are one and done.

Finally, I dont know how seriously one can see Cathedrals accomplishment after they lost to Clint and Chaparral. Props to them for beating the two out of town teams, Im just not sure what level of competition they really were.

How you know i voted for Trump ,a leader with at least family values and morals, not like this last one we have.Anyway look really look at this tread man ,look at the interest not even the EP Gridiron has a video of them playing , it's not that I'm hating it's just not real football ,they don't play anybody in town they don't beat anybody in town, nobody knows who they play, nobody knows what they're all about that's my whole point and then all of a sudden they are state champs really WOW.

Canuts takes NO team lightly.

Good job Cathedral squad!

For those saying this isn't legit, hey cathedral won the state title in their respective class. What happened to supporting all EP area team, They shouldn't be disrespected for it. We know it isn't close to the same level of competition as the 4A or 5A playoffs, but neither is the playoff competition level between 5A and 6A. So let's just all appreciate what's happening in the football scene of el paso,texas. Even if its a small state title.

w w w . e p g r i d i r o n . c o m