Forum: EP GRIDIRON
Start a New Topic 

Author
Comment
Playoff Game 1: Montwood Vs. Tascosa (Amarillo, TX)

Now that the regular season is over it's time for fans to rally around the teams representing ELP in the playoffs. Go Rams!!!

Re: Playoff Game 1: Montwood Vs. Tascosa (Amarillo, TX)

Quote: Ram
Now that the regular season is over it's time for fans to rally around the teams representing ELP in the playoffs. Go Rams!!!

Is the game taking place Saturday the 12th of Nov.?

Saw Tascosa destroy El Dorado last year with the triple option. They hardly threw the ball. The rams better be working run stopping. that is all they do

If MW plays a mistake free game coupled with a balanced run/pass attack they have a very good chance of winning the game. This could very well be their only playoff game so they need to play to win and figure out how to get the ball to their playmaker #4 Tyreese Andrus.

Dress warm. Amarillo tends to be kind of cool around this time

and windy

The Rams will be ready, dyed hair and all...lol.

Tascosa does what they do very well...they are well schooled at option football and they are very big and physical up front with good speed in the backfield....they are built for cold and wind...doesn't phase them at all...the key for Montwood is winning first down...gotta get Tascosa in 2nd and 7 or more...if you dont they'll hold the ball for half a quarter....

MW will definitely have their work cut out for them against Tascosa. A team that has perfected the triple option run scheme, which has been very successful for them this season. In addition to the run MW cannot match Tascosa in size or speed. Tascosa also has a very aggressive and physical defense to contend with. On top of that they will have the home field advantage.

MW has to control the clock. Having a lone RB in the backfield may not work against Tascosa, so put a lead blocker in front of De Anda and let him do the rest. MW has several good WRs that they can throw to, including Tyreese Andrus but the O-Line needs to give the QB time to throw the football. In for the MW coaches this is not the game to be conservative, it maybe time to dust off that old play book for this game.

Go Rams!!!

Quote: Boaz
MW will definitely have their work cut out for them against Tascosa. A team that has perfected the triple option run scheme, which has been very successful for them this season. In addition to the run MW cannot match Tascosa in size or speed. Tascosa also has a very aggressive and physical defense to contend with. On top of that they will have the home field advantage.

MW has to control the clock. Having a lone RB in the backfield may not work against Tascosa, so put a lead blocker in front of De Anda and let him do the rest. MW has several good WRs that they can throw to, including Tyreese Andrus but the O-Line needs to give the QB time to throw the football. In for the MW coaches this is not the game to be conservative, it maybe time to dust off that old play book for this game.

Go Rams!!!

Yes our team is young, but those are almost the same words you said against El Do and Franklin and we prevailed. Our El Paso athletes can compete with any other team any given day.

Go El Paso Teams, Win.

So is this game being played on Friday or Saturday?

Rams,

You lost me with your post. Nobody said anything about the Rams being a young team.

But anyway I stand by my comments. Montwood's offense struggled against Eastwood and Tascosa is a much better team. So if MW has any chance of winning this game, which I believe they do and will pull it out in the end, but QB Fernandez, RB De Anda, and WR Andrus must all have good games.

Defense: Tascosa is primarily a running team so you don't need to safeties.
But MWs defense needs to be very aggressive...and not stand around waiting for somebody else to make the tackle. LB Apodaca and DE/DT Frutig will be key on defense.

Now i know you dont pay attention mw doesnt use 2 safeties

I find it hard to expect MW to hold them down, they have a big line, not huge but over 250 across the line easily. MW just bot big enough to handle that line, MW linebackers are to small. I think this was discussed very early in the season. I would love to have MW prove everyone wrong on the LB's but when your LB are 5'8" 170 avg going up against 6'2 250+ linemen, kinda hard to stop the run.

I hope MW proves people wrong.

You are right, it's not something they do very often but they did use two safeties against Eastwood.

And how would you know? It's called making defensive adjustments during the game.

They told us this Friday at 6:30. Drive safe and good luck. It should be a good game.

Quote: Miner Maniac
I find it hard to expect MW to hold them down, they have a big line, not huge but over 250 across the line easily. MW just bot big enough to handle that line, MW linebackers are to small. I think this was discussed very early in the season. I would love to have MW prove everyone wrong on the LB's but when your LB are 5'8" 170 avg going up against 6'2 250+ linemen, kinda hard to stop the run.

I hope MW proves people wrong.

They Have, All Season Long !!!!

MW coaches are absolutely clueless on both sides of ball tonight. Tascosa is having a field day running the same play over and over. #22 and #7 are constantly getting burned. The offense looks confused or maybe alittle shell shocked lol. But they better figure it out the second half or it's going to be a long ride home tonight.

27-10 Tascosa at the half

I think MW has given up.

Update

47-16

F

Congratulations to the Montwood Rams on their great season and a share of the district title! Let's not forget nobody expected the Rams to make any noise this season under their new coach, thus proving a lot of people wrong that doubted them. On top of that the Rams have some good players returning for next season so I foresee another battle in 6A for district in 2017.

True, True

My son is the starting MLB for Tascosa. We to have a very young team. What I saw last night was a Ram team that played with a lot heart and they fought hard. The disadvantage they had was the offense we run. That offense is hard to replicate in practice and when it's hitting, it's hitting. Your boys came out fired up because numerous times I could hear the hits your guys were making and I sat at the very top. Montwood had some early mistakes or turnovers that didn't help them either. I'm saying it would have change the course of the game but it certainly didn't help them. I thought 51played a great game on the defensive side and it looked as if this young man fought hard the entire game. Everybody sitting around me was very impressed with your QB. Sure he made a few mistakes but he has a great arm. I see a lot potential with your team. Last year we went three rounds in and lost a close to Denton Ryan. After watching that game I really felt our athletic director should schedule games with teams from the metro. You guys , MW Eldorado and Americas, are in the same boat. You have a good foundation but you don't get better playing the same stale teams you only get better playing better talent. Permian central and Midland high all went out and scheduled better non conference opponents. We played the number 1 ranked 5A school in Oklahoma but lost the thing killing or stopping y'all from doing the same is your location. God luck next year.

Quote: MattStepp
Tascosa does what they do very well...they are well schooled at option football and they are very big and physical up front with good speed in the backfield....they are built for cold and wind...doesn't phase them at all...the key for Montwood is winning first down...gotta get Tascosa in 2nd and 7 or more...if you dont they'll hold the ball for half a quarter....

Love your observations each and every time and sure wish there were more like you especially back in the day but we didnt have internet either

Quote: Rams
Quote: Boaz

Go Rams!!!

Yes our team is young, but those are almost the same words you said against El Do and Franklin and we prevailed. Our El Paso athletes can compete with any other team any given day.

Go El Paso Teams, Win.

Echo statements of starting to schedule pre district against those teams or simply wont compete consistently.

Congratulations to the entire Montwood family of players, coaches, parents and fans on a great season. In to all the seniors, that are hopefully moving on to college, including those that decide not to go to college, good luck in all of your future endeavors.

w w w . e p g r i d i r o n . c o m