Forum: EP GRIDIRON
Start a New Topic 

Author
Comment
District 5A/6A MVP and Players of the Year Nominees

Who is your offensive pick for District MVP / Player of the Year?

District 1-5A
QB Keith Tarango (SR) Eastlake
QB Damian Solis (SR) Ysleta
RB Deion Hankins (SOPH) Parkland
RB Reynaldo Flores (SR) Ysleta
WR Patrick Sullivan (SR) Parkland
WR Jamiel Garcia (SR) Del Valle

Special Teams Honorable Mentions:
Punt Return - Antonio Gomez (SR) Andress
Kickoff Return - Hector Lopez (SR) Austin
Field Goals - Ceasr Valles (SR) Canutillo
PAT - Mark Ramos (SR) Andress
Punts - Devyn Morales (SR) Del Valle

Player of the Year: Deion Hankins

District 1-6A
RB Josh Fields (SR) Americas
RB Seth Dominguez (JR) Franklin
QB Cedarious Barfield (JR) El Dorado
QB Andrew Fernandez (JR) Montwood
WR Tyreese Andrus (JR) Montwood
WR Robert Minjarez (JR) Eastwood

Kickoff Return - Kevin Averette (JR) Pebble Hills
PAT - Daniel Fourzan (SR) Montwood
Punts - Tyreese Andrus (JR) Montwood

Player of the Year: Josh Fields

Re: District 5A/6A MVP and Players of the Year Nominees

Quote: Boaz

District 1-5A

District 1-6A

District 1 5A????

1 5A and 2 5A........

District 1-6A
District 1-5A
District 2-5A
District 2-4A, Division I 

Epgerm for real I hate to give it to the newcomer but the VIP but should go to A. Moya from Canuts. Then Montez from DV a close second. Those are my two game changers.

Quote: PrimeTime
Epgerm for real I hate to give it to the newcomer but the VIP but should go to A. Moya from Canuts. Then Montez from DV a close second. Those are my two game changers.

Montez got newcomer last year if anything it has to go to deion Hankins. Its his first varsity year right ?

1-6A Offensive Player of the Year Josh Fields Americas
1-5A Offensive Player of the Year Keith Taranto Eastlake

How funny that most not all but most of these names are from teams that are in 3rd or lower in the rankings.

In my view there needs to be a universal criteria that players need to meet in order to be nominated for Player of the Year or MVP. And from I understand there is no criteria here in ELP or the state. Which basically allows coaches to nominate in-deseving players on their teams. My definition of a team MVP is that one player the team relies on the most to win games and trust me it is not always the QB. The MVP is that one player that other coaches fear the most and thus plan their game strategies around that player. To test this theory have every coach take a survey that includes the question. Who is the one player that fear the most when your team plays Americas, Rl Dorado or Montwood. I will get money on it that when it comes to the teams that I mentioned, these names will come up. All of these players are game changers that constantly put their teams in position to win. And that's why they should be the MVP for their respective teams. To test this theory, have all HS football Head Coach take a survey that includes the followquestion:

When you plan your pre-game strategies against opposing teams like Americas, El Dorado or Montwood. Who is the one player that you fear the most?

For example, for teams like Parkland and Americas the one player that most coaches should fear the most are Hankins and Fields. Likewise, for El Dorado and Montwood the players are Barfield and Andrus.

These are just a few examples. But I will bet my paycheck that these would be the players mentioned the most by a majority of the coaches.

But we know that the system is seriously flawed or as Trump would say rigged or crooked.

That's my criteria for MVP, which I believe makes more sense. But I would be curious to know what other present or former coaches (at any level) thinks what should be the criteria be for nominating players for MVP or Player of the Year?

Former Coach you, me and only a few others know that El Paso coaches have to try to keep parents happy and when they do that it takes away or devalues the true elite top players in El Paso which is totally unfair to these players.

Also in El Paso win or lose everyone gets a trophy or thinks everyone should be MVP or have their names mentioned in some way under some category.

MDRS (Mijo deserves recognition Syndrome)

I think that as for right now we should worry about the playoff teams and also these stand out and most valuable players that you guys think they are let's see how they do in the playoffs against good teams then when all the dust settles then we can figure out who the top players are.

District 1-5A

District 1-6A

Mark Ramos is a SOPH

You cannot overlook Daniel Alvarez of Canutillo when you have a conversation about most valuable at QB or overall. Vital and steady in leading the Eagles to 10-0 and the District Championship.

I maybe alittle bias but Cedarious Barfield is the Player of the Year! That being said I dot think we would have won half our games without everything that he brings to the game week after week.

MWs Head Coach Famaligi put the QB Andrew Fernandez in for every offensive award including MVP and Player of the Year. But the QB is only as good as the players around him. So what happened to WR Tyreese Andrus or RB Evan De Anda? Andrus has been the key player that has gotten MW out of jams all season along, which makes him the MVP in my book.

Quote: Aztec1
I maybe alittle bias but Cedarious Barfield is the Player of the Year! That being said I dot think we would have won half our games without everything that he brings to the game week after week.

player of the year!!!!
If you cant win a playoff game; NOPE!!
WEAK!!

Quote: Ram
MWs Head Coach Famaligi put the QB Andrew Fernandez in for every offensive award including MVP and Player of the Year. But the QB is only as good as the players around him. So what happened to WR Tyreese Andrus or RB Evan De Anda? Andrus has been the key player that has gotten MW out of jams all season along, which makes him the MVP in my book.

Maybe because he is the 6A leading passer in all of Texas?

Quote: Ram

I agree.....guess the coach has to keep Fernandez father happy since there are 2 more of them coming up

Quote: Coronado 77

player of the year!!!!
WEAK!!

Gtfoh

Of course he is in the conversation. How about y'all not suck and actually make e playoffs

MW is in the position that they are in because of a handful of players, primarily WR Tyreese Andrus. It's no secret who the best player on the team is? But this being ELP, it doesn't surprise me one bit that the Coach Famaligi who is also up for the Coach of the Year Award is thinking about the future by nominating Fernandez for Player of the Year and MVP. He may be the leading passer in 6A but he has also thrown 11 interceptions. Barfield after last nights game has probably surpassed him in that category. And on top of that he has over 1200 yards rushing, with only 3 interceptions and is clearly the best QB and more deserving of the Player of the Year Award along with RBs Hankins and Fields. Truth be told, Fernandez is not going to play QB at the next level, and he may not even get recruited for that matter. Last season 6.1' Austyn Hill from ELD was clearly the best QB in the city but he didn't get not one scholarship offer. Why was that? I contend Kluger chose Eastwood's QB Mark Torrez to please its predominantly hispanic fan base. Back to Fernandez, let him have the Player of the Year Award because in the grand scheme of things it really doesn't mean anything! Just keeping it real!

Quote: Beastmode
MW is in the position that they are in because of a handful of players, primarily WR Tyreese Andrus. It's no secret who the best player on the team is? But this being ELP, it doesn't surprise me one bit that the Coach Famaligi who is also up for the Coach of the Year Award is thinking about the future by nominating Fernandez for Player of the Year and MVP. He may be the leading passer in 6A but he has also thrown 11 interceptions. Barfield after last nights game has probably surpassed him in that category. And on top of that he has over 1200 yards rushing, with only 3 interceptions and is clearly the best QB and more deserving of the Player of the Year Award along with RBs Hankins and Fields. Truth be told, Fernandez is not going to play QB at the next level, and he may not even get recruited for that matter. Last season 6.1' Austyn Hill from ELD was clearly the best QB in the city but he didn't get not one scholarship offer. Why was that? I contend Kluger chose Eastwood's QB Mark Torrez to please its predominantly hispanic fan base. Back to Fernandez, let him have the Player of the Year Award because in the grand scheme of things it really doesn't mean anything! Just keeping it real!

Don't be so football dumb. Tyreese is good but he needs a good quarterback to scramble like a lunatic and still get the ball in range for Tyreese to make a play.

Fernandez clearly the better player on that Montwood team. Bench Fernandez and put in another quarterback and let's see how Tyreese does.

Also stop thinking Tyreese is DI material he doesn't even have any offers. For sure he is easily DII material.

Quote: Coronado 77

player of the year!!!!
WEAK!!

Dude,the guy put up 50 plus points against a high caliber defense. He needed to score over 70 to win, and you're doggin him? wow...

El Dorado O-Line Players of the year 6A

Dude you are a idiot! I don't have to defend him because his talent speaks for itself. I don't think MW would have won half their games if not for his contribution. The same applies to Americas and their reliance on Fields and Henderson, Parkland and their reliance on Hankins and Sullivan, and El Dorado and their reliance on Barfield and Hampton. You are a fool if you think otherwise, the fact is these players can compete on any team, Your problem is hating on players that are not Hispanic.

Interesting you say that about Torrez but answer me this what kind of year did he have I think Torrez edged him out being that he started his varsity career as a freshman and ended it with a great senior year. Hill is good tho but recruiters see other things.

I agree that Tyreese is the best player on the team. However, if what has been said is true, that coach fama nominated Andrew for MVP and POY, I can understand why . You can't have the leading passer in the state on your team and not nominate him for those awards.

I agree and I'm one of Tyreese biggest fans...but Andrew deserves the honor!

Quote: Rerun

Interesting you say that about Torrez but answer me this what kind of year did he have I think Torrez edged him out being that he started his varsity career as a freshman and ended it with a great senior year. Hill is good tho but recruiters see other things.

So you are saying that Eastwood allowed Torrez to play the freshman championship game
against Montwood.

There are many well deserving players from various teams that truly deserve recognition for their efforts and contributions to their respective teams, some more so then others. But unfortunately, these are not fan based awards. The players are nominated by their respective coaches and voted on by all District 1-6A coaches. I expect some coaches to be bias towards their own players, but at the same time none of us know what the criteria is for these awards so all we can do is speculate. So don't take my word for it because it's not official yet but the winners in 1-6A are:

Player of the Year: Junior Cedarius Barfield (El Dorado)

Offensive Player of the Year: Senior Josh Fields (Americas)

There are many well deserving players from various teams that truly deserve recognition for their efforts and contributions to their respective teams, some more so then others. But unfortunately, these are not fan based awards. The players are nominated by their respective coaches and voted on by all District 1-6A coaches. I expect some coaches to be bias towards their own players, but at the same time none of us know what the criteria is for these awards so all we can do is speculate. So don't take my word for it because it's not official yet but the winners in 1-6A are:

Player of the Year: Junior Cedarius Barfield (El Dorado)

Offensive Player of the Year: Senior Josh Fields (Americas)

I would think fans would be way more bias than coaches. We would just not realize it.

Either way....those are two good picks for 6A

Quote: Montwood 66

So you are saying that Eastwood allowed Torrez to play the freshman championship game
against Montwood.

That I don't know I wasn't there nor did I follow him at that time I'm only going on what was told to me I only have been in El Paso for 2 years and started following city sports since then. So if your looking for an excuse for a past loss well your barking up the wrong tree. I could be wrong but none the less his senior year was more productive than Hills as I recall he was hurt his senior year

I just want to add that there is no doubt that Montwood players QB Andrew Fernandez (#2 overall Jr/Sr QB in 6A) and WR Tyreese Andrus (#7 overall Jr/Sr WR and #3 Jr WR in 6A)) both had great seasons for the Rams. And I'm sure that they will be recognized in the All-City category for their efforts along with many other deserving players throughout the city. But this was definitely a year for underclassmen, meaning there is a long list of sophomores and juniors that stepped up in many ways for their respective teams throughout the city this season.

I just want to add that there is no doubt that Montwood players QB Andrew Fernandez (#2 QB in 6A) and WR Tyreese Andrus (#7 WR in 6A) both had great seasons for the Rams. And I'm sure that they will be recognized in the All-City category for their efforts along with many other deserving players. But this was definitely a year for underclassmen, meaning there is a long list of sophomores and juniors that stepped up in many ways for their respective teams throughout the city this season.

Oh come on you and I both know those awards are always never accurate. It's always lopsided and a lot of kids get shafted due too certain districts with more pull let's not kid ourselves

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I prefer to take a more positive approach. Which is acknowledging the fact that there are many well-deserving players throughout the city. Life, sometimes is not fair. But whether or not they receive an award or not, does not take away from their performance on the field, and therefore they should be proud of themselves, and not be discouraged about playing a sport that they obviously love.

Andres>Fernandez if the coach can't see that then he is dumb. Can't make the kid happy to not be recognized as the best player on the team when he clearly is

Quote: Montwood 66

against Montwood.

That I don't know I wasn't there nor did I follow him at that time I'm only going on what was told to me I only have been in El Paso for 2 years and started following city sports since then. So if your looking for an excuse for a past loss well your barking up the wrong tree. I could be wrong but none the less his senior year was more productive than Hills as I recall he was hurt his senior year

I mentioned it just because you said he played varsity since he was freshman and btw, MW won that game.

Quote: TheTruth
Former Coach you, me and only a few others know that El Paso coaches have to try to keep parents happy and when they do that it takes away or devalues the true elite top players in El Paso which is totally unfair to these players.

Also in El Paso win or lose everyone gets a trophy or thinks everyone should be MVP or have their names mentioned in some way under some category.

MDRS (Mijo deserves recognition Syndrome)

Its Not MDRS :

FAVORITISM & NEPOTISM !!! Real Life.

w w w . e p g r i d i r o n . c o m