​​​​​​​
EP GRIDIRON
Start a New Topic 
1 2 3 4
Author
Comment
Round II Canutillo vs Abilene Cooper

I hope it's not to early to start talking about this. Next Friday Grande Stadium!! Don't know much about this Abilene team only that they have a pair of receivers that are well above 6'0 tall. Any insight predictions thoughts!
Congrats to all EP teams that are headed towards the next round and good luck El Paso's got your back! #GoCanutillo

Re: Round II Canutillo vs Abilene Cooper

UVLonghorns
I hope it's not to early to start talking about this. Next Friday Grande Stadium!! Don't know much about this Abilene team only that they have a pair of receivers that are well above 6'0 tall. Any insight predictions thoughts!
Congrats to all EP teams that are headed towards the next round and good luck El Paso's got your back! #GoCanutillo

UVL WHERE DID YOU SEE THE SCHEDULE FOR NEXT ROUND OF PLAY-OFFS?

MaxPreps has a complete bracket all the way through Finals at AT&T Stadium in mid December.

http://www.uiltexas.org/football/playoff-brackets/5AD2

Eastsider
UVLonghorns

UVL WHERE DID YOU SEE THE SCHEDULE FOR NEXT ROUND OF PLAY-OFFS?

If youre wondering who the rest of 5a playoff teams might play, we will have to wait until tonight after district 3-4 have their bidistrict games.

Don't worry about the next opponent. Teams that won yesterday should be celebrating and enjoying the glorious moment.

Saturday or Monday back to work.

Cooper beat Frendship during the season. Eagles will have to play a far better game then they did last night in order to advance.

Canutillo players are not the biggest or fastest but they play with a lot of heart, passion, and most of all pride for their school and the city, and for that reason they are the only team in ELP that has a good shot of going to State!

Beastmode
Canutillo players are not the biggest or fastest but they play with a lot of heart, passion, and most of all pride for their school and the city, and for that reason they are the only team in ELP that has a good shot of going to State!

Having heart, passion, and pride can only take you so far then 6'3" and 6'4" receivers come along and crush heart, passion and pride.

Beastmode

What about Cathedral? they just won state.

What about Squeaks? (inside joke for irrelevant conversations)

Congrats to La Cate, but this is football on a slightly higher level.

Rosco
Beastmode

Having heart, passion, and pride can only take you so far then 6'3" and 6'4" receivers come along and crush heart, passion and pride.

We will see what happens. When canutillo wins we will see

When they lose be honest and tell all why they loss. I know what I see.

Why r they gonna play in Midland if they need to meet half way and Abl.cooper is 2 hours closer then canutillo???????

High school football
Why r they gonna play in Midland if they need to meet half way and Abl.cooper is 2 hours closer then canutillo???????

They dont have to meet halfway, the schools just have to agree to a neutral site. Pecos and Monahans are closer to the midpoint between El Paso/Abilene but Id guess the stadium/field in those towns are not as nice as Midland/Odessa. Lubbock is also closer ro Odessa than El Paso... For the Parkland vs Lbk Cooper game.

RolyPoly
High school football

They dont have to meet halfway, the schools just have to agree to a neutral site. Pecos and Monahans are closer to the midpoint between El Paso/Abilene but Id guess the stadium/field in those towns are not as nice as Midland/Odessa. Lubbock is also closer ro Odessa than El Paso... For the Parkland vs Lbk Cooper game.

Oh ok thanks

EP Observer

It will be a tough test no doubt, wishing the best for my Eagles. You know games don't get easier from here on out, making it this far and with a record above other el paso teams says a lot. I hope your team is still playing ball this time of year so why not just support all el paso football. No need to hate or dissect, enjoy and support all el paso. I am happy to hear Americas won last night good luck in the next round.

Anyone have any insight on cooper and what kind of game they play??

I am all for the teams and hope they win but I know what I see when I watch the Eagles. They have done well but I see where they will have serious problems. Not hating just being realistic about the team.

RolyPoly
High school football

Abilene fans (Bulldogs, Cougars, Eagles) all travel very well and stadiums less than 2500 per side won't do - and even up to 3500 is kinda pushing it - although I dont know how big is the one at Pecos and Monahans.

OrangeBird
EP Observer

It will be a tough test no doubt, wishing the best for my Eagles. You know games don't get easier from here on out, making it this far and with a record above other el paso teams says a lot. I hope your team is still playing ball this time of year so why not just support all el paso football. No need to hate or dissect, enjoy and support all el paso. I am happy to hear Americas won last night good luck in the next round.

I like your outlook as every team in the playoffs is a good team no matter what the record which can be deceiving. Yesterday 1-9 Hondo beat 9-1 Devine 56-28 in 4A D2 and 3-7 Keren beat 10-0 Rivercrest in 2A D1. As it was said in that Dumb and Dumber movie there is always a chance.

Orangerat
Anyone have any insight on cooper and what kind of game they play??

Cooper and AbHi games can be viewed online here:

https://www.abileneisd.org/page/363

Good luck Eagles!!!! No regrets,leave it all on the field!!!!

Cooper is a wide open spread offense, good athletes and speed at the skill spots...they use the pass to set the run up generally....their receivers aren't super tall but most will be in the 6'0 range....they aren't great defensively...if Canutillo can control the tempo they have a good shot....you dont want to get into a shootout with Abilene Cooper...that's their game

MattStepp
Cooper is a wide open spread offense, good athletes and speed at the skill spots...they use the pass to set the run up generally....their receivers aren't super tall but most will be in the 6'0 range....they aren't great defensively...if Canutillo can control the tempo they have a good shot....you dont want to get into a shootout with Abilene Cooper...that's their game

WR Myller Royals - #1 - is 6'5", WR Isaac Hatter - #2 - is 6'4" , and WR Jwan Hong - #17 - is 5'10". All three were athletically leaping and catching the ball above their head and coming back down to the turf at Jones stadium when I got to watch them play for the first time against Dumas on Thursday. Coverage has to be tight on those kids because the Austin Smith at QB is really accurate so the best chance at forcing incomplete if your DB is not at least six foot tall is trying to jar the ball free as they bring it down. Smith is deceivingly quick and shifty especially in a scramble situation as I saw him turn a sack into a first down run during a third and about twenty five. RB is not a powerful runner but he is agile and I saw a couple ankle breaking moves against the Demons.

I must say it was a pleasure to visit Texas Tech's stadium as I had not experienced it since the 80's and certainly hope I can for another high school or college game in the future.

The bigger they are, the harder they fall. 6'3" Sullivan nearly lost his mind after repeatedly getting hit. Eastlake's studs were limping but still played hard. Canutillo has to come out and control the clock. #8 is getting into rhythm with the line and will come out to play as always. Our defense will bend but not break. Since when has Canutillo backed down or been scared of big guys?

I totally forgot about Royal he is a tall one..saw him last year in Rd 1 against Caprock.....he's their big outside guy...not near as good as the kid from Ennis a couple yrs back but still decent...I dont remember the Hatter kid he must not have been a factor when I saw Cooper...

MattStepp
I totally forgot about Royal he is a tall one..saw him last year in Rd 1 against Caprock.....he's their big outside guy...not near as good as the kid from Ennis a couple yrs back but still decent...I dont remember the Hatter kid he must not have been a factor when I saw Cooper...

Hatter only had one catch against Dumas and he made a quick move to break free for the long touchdown which is the danger of focusing too much on stopping one or two primary weapons. Hong gets more playtime than Hatter but that one play still caught my eye and made me check the game roster. Royals did have a record setting game a couple or three weeks ago but gotta consider the level of competition which was either LakeView or Lubbock High.

Eagle Dad
The bigger they are, the harder they fall. 6'3" Sullivan nearly lost his mind after repeatedly getting hit. Eastlake's studs were limping but still played hard. Canutillo has to come out and control the clock. #8 is getting into rhythm with the line and will come out to play as always. Our defense will bend but not break. Since when has Canutillo backed down or been scared of big guys?

I wont pretend to know anything about Canutillo except what you guys have written on this thread so I concur that it makes sense that they need to keep it to a ball control type of game if they can do that and eat as much clock as possible. Cooper likes to play fast on offense and they only huddled up at most half the time thus first down defense will be key to making them substitute and not go as quick as they want to go.

MattStepp

Old Ironsides

WR Myller Royals - #1 - is 6'5", WR Isaac Hatter - #2 - is 6'4" , and WR Jwan Hong - #17 - is 5'10". All three were athletically leaping and catching the ball above their head and coming back down to the turf at Jones stadium when I got to watch them play for the first time against Dumas on Thursday. Coverage has to be tight on those kids because the Austin Smith at QB is really accurate so the best chance at forcing incomplete if your DB is not at least six foot tall is trying to jar the ball free as they bring it down. Smith is deceivingly quick and shifty especially in a scramble situation as I saw him turn a sack into a first down run during a third and about twenty five. RB is not a powerful runner but he is agile and I saw a couple ankle breaking moves against the Demons.

thanks for the insights on the teams outside of EP, guys.

Old Ironsides
Eagle Dad

I wont pretend to know anything about Canutillo except what you guys have written on this thread so I concur that it makes sense that they need to keep it to a ball control type of game if they can do that and eat as much clock as possible. Cooper likes to play fast on offense and they only huddled up at most half the time thus first down defense will be key to making them substitute and not go as quick as they want to go.

I'm sorry. During the season Canutillo faced a 6'3" D1 WR recruit and a 6'1" D1 RB recruit in the same team. Canutillo held very well and they were not factors in the game.

mausDE
MattStepp

Old Ironsides

thanks for the insights on the teams outside of EP, guys.

It is good chatter for us and I doubt we have any impact on the coaches and players preparing and I would be surprised if they dont know these things already from their scouting and film watching.

Eagle Dad
Old Ironsides
Eagle Dad

I'm sorry. During the season Canutillo faced a 6'3" D1 WR recruit and a 6'1" D1 RB recruit in the same team. Canutillo held very well and they were not factors in the game.

If sorry about me sharing what I saw then I shall no longer bother and go back to invisible mode.

From what I hear Canutillo does not do well with faster teams. Stopping a D1 RB on a weak team is not a good assessment. Several average teams stopped the Parkland (EP). As for Canutillo, the QB will look for one WR. The offense is geared on a read option with a GT pull. That's as deep as it gets. A speedy aggressive defense is a challenge for them. The O Line is average. It looks like their CBs play too far off the ball. Perfect for underneath routes that can set up other options as the game goes on. I don't think Canutillo has faced a very good team yet. Abilene Cooper may test them. Cooper is not a good defensive team!

First Team
From what I hear Canutillo does not do well with faster teams. Stopping a D1 RB on a weak team is not a good assessment. Several average teams stopped the Parkland (EP). As for Canutillo, the QB will look for one WR. The offense is geared on a read option with a GT pull. That's as deep as it gets. A speedy aggressive defense is a challenge for them. The O Line is average. It looks like their CBs play too far off the ball. Perfect for underneath routes that can set up other options as the game goes on. I don't think Canutillo has faced a very good team yet. Abilene Cooper may test them. Cooper is not a good defensive team!

https://youtu.be/kcHDR-kGnTY

If Cooper is not a good defensive team, better the reason to be optimistic. If the offense is able to move the ball and score by wearing down their defense, the Canutillo defense will rest. A rested Canutillo is dangerous. They will make plays. I will agree that the secondary plays off the ball as to not give up the big play. And they will give the opponent the ability to run short intermediate routes. But if the going gets rough, the defense will be more aggressive. As was the case with their previous opponents, Parkland, Eastlake, and Burges. They all had a chance at the end but the Canutillo defense found ways to show them up and finish games.

If Moya was 100% and good to go in this game against Cooper I would say Canutillo wins this game by 10 or 15 points but since that is not the case Cooper will beat Canutillo by 25 points.

Norman
If Moya was 100% and good to go in this game against Cooper I would say Canutillo wins this game by 10 or 15 points but since that is not the case Cooper will beat Canutillo by 25 points.

I couldn't disagree with you more... Canutillo will miss Moya, but this team is so much more than one player.

Offensively Cooper scored the second most points on Abilene that anyone else has all season long which the most was Central (but we saw what Central did to Abilene to start the season and to Franklin last week) yet the Cougar defense gave up more points against Abilene than anyone else in Abilenes pre district schedule. Cooper is still capable of winning the low scoring or close games because thats what happened against Frenship (28-25) and their 4-5A district mates Lubbock Monterey (24-17) and Lubbock Cooper (26-13) who also are in the Area round then lost in the final game to Lubbock Coronado 40-27 before handling Dumas comfortably last week. All four playoff teams from 4-5A are in the Area round.

Oops I was supposed to go back into invisible mode

Keep em coming Ironsides I appreciate the 411 me and my boys have been watching videos and looking at stats so any info is appreciated!

Norman

I couldn't disagree with you more... Canutillo will miss Moya, but this team is so much more than one player.

We'll see that team you speak about against Cooper. Let's see if that team shows up. Looking forward that they do if not it will be a long night for Canutillo.

UVLonghorns
Keep em coming Ironsides I appreciate the 411 me and my boys have been watching videos and looking at stats so any info is appreciated!

I try not to get involved with the rhetoric of soandso going to do suchandsuch against soandso because its speculation and innuendo based upon what happened against usually inferior (but sometimes far superior) competition. Comparisons have to start from somewhere so I try to draw the lines of results between similar foes if there has been any which is more likely to do during the earlier rounds of the playoffs. Again I dont know Canutillo except for this thread but I am a Big Country native so I follow the teams in that area alot even though I finally had that chance last week to catch Cooper in Lubbock against Dumas for the first time this season. I have noticed that Cooper is capable and has won any type of scoring game against 5A playoff teams as they showed in their own district but the shootout suits them better as you guys already said.

Norman
Norman

We'll see that team you speak about against Cooper. Let's see if that team shows up. Looking forward that they do if not it will be a long night for Canutillo.

Moya is still very much part of this TEAM. Never underestimate the power of unity. Go Eagles!!

Good luck Canutillo...defense, defense, and more defense will get you the win!

Burges scored nearly 30 points on Canutillo so I say Abilene Cooper will score easily over 40 points on Canutillo. Question is will Canutillo be able to score over 40 points on Abilene Cooper?

Canutillo has scored over 40 points only 3 times all season against weak El Paso teams and they barely did it 42 points against Socorro (0-10), 45 points against Hanks (0-10), and 48 points against Horizon (3-7).

Canutillo's offense better show up or else it's going to be a long long long night for Canutillo's defense.

Eagles CBs are not fast and do not cover well. Cooper will throw and if the CBs are isolated with Cooper's WR it can be a long night. Eagles CBs are not fast going up field.

Paperboy GO read The Enquirer and you first-team, your team was probably the first one out.LOL

You are very ignorant. Watch and learn! Hick wannabe ball player parent.

Paperboy
Burges scored nearly 30 points on Canutillo so I say Abilene Cooper will score easily over 40 points on Canutillo. Question is will Canutillo be able to score over 40 points on Abilene Cooper?

Canutillo has scored over 40 points only 3 times all season against weak El Paso teams and they barely did it 42 points against Socorro (0-10), 45 points against Hanks (0-10), and 48 points against Horizon (3-7).

Canutillo's offense better show up or else it's going to be a long long long night for Canutillo's defense.

Canutillo only needs to score more then the opponent they face. Winning is winning. You all should try that sometime.

Lol if you make it far in the playoffs, maybe u will play the Bearcats of Aledo. We will see who goes home. We have seen your team. U are Undefeated but no worries😉. Come get some!

You are one of those pretend people. Lol. If you have seen us and you are from out of town that means you are worried. Good thing Canutillo kids are not intimidated by anyone. Anything can happen any given Friday!

First Team
Lol if you make it far in the playoffs, maybe u will play the Bearcats of Aledo. We will see who goes home. We have seen your team. U are Undefeated but no worries😉. Come get some!

So now you're an Aledo fan? What are you, First Team Bandwagon? Make up your mind partner.

1 2 3 4
w w w . e p g r i d i r o n . c o m