EP GRIDIRON
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Lessons Learned

Congratulations to all of the teams that made it as far as they did in the playoffs. Especially, when you consider the fact that there are hundreds of schools across the state that didn't make the playoffs. Making the playoffs serves as a tribute to the teams, players and coaches that did, and that is nothing to be ashamed or disheartening about.

Also, there is nothing wrong with supporting your teams and even a little trash talking here and there during the season that isn't offensive or degrading to anyone, but instead is viewed as healthy competition. But when it comes to teams outside of ELP, I don't believe that we should be criticizing EP teams in the playoffs. In my view we should be supporting EP teams in the playoffs and congratulating them on a successful season.

That said, what are some of the lessons learned that teams, players and coaches can take away from this season? For example, what was the differences (from a team perspective) between the games that Americas had against Frenship compared to their game against Abilene? Or the other games involving Parkland, Canutillo, Eastlake, and Chapin.

Moving forward, what does it take for ELP to finally break that glass ceiling and win a state title? This topic is not meant to single out any players or coaches in a negative way but to provide a serious response/solution to an issue that continues to plague ELP teams.

Re: Lessons Learned

What does it take for ELP to finally break that glass ceiling and win a state title?

Boaz that's a great question but Boaz many of us discussed that several years ago within this forum. We had long and heated back and forth discussions about it. The subject line if I recall was Will a El Paso team ever Win a State Title?

That specific subject had pages and pages full of great replies. What's amazing is that after those great discussions and a couple of years later El Paso teams began to get to the 3rd round of the Playoffs on a consistent basis then later a Canutillo team almost advanced to the State Title game just one game shy of the big dance. That year Canutillo advanced to the semifinals a couple of El Paso teams advanced to the 3rd round which I believe was 2014.

Anyways Boaz I don't know about others but honestly I'm tired of discussing that subject matter. I know lots of people whom I would discuss that subject with years ago no longer come in here to post which is understandable as their kids graduated and most lose the passion or interest for El Paso high school football once their kids graduate or no longer have kids playing youth football, middle school football or high school football.

So sorry Boaz. Been down this discussion path some years back. Maybe young fathers who have kids playing in youth football, middle school football and freshmen football, junior football and who actually care deeply about this subject matter will chime in on your thread and hopefully you all will have great discussions as I and many others used to have several years ago.

Boaz I will say this though a very well coached, smart, disciplined, skilled, strong, physical and physical for 4 quarters, solid but not necessarily a massive OFFENSIVE LINE and DEFENSIVE LINE but extremely close to being a massive bunch from one end to the other in the trenches where the game is really taking place is critical for any team to have is the key to making a deep run in the Playoffs and likely to make it to State.

Again sorry Boaz but I'm out of this one. As I stated I'm tired of it.

Juco,

I've seen the topic that you are referring to and the many comments made over the years reference this issue. But I think you answered the question when you stated "that parents lack the passion or interest in high school football once their kids graduate or no longer have kids playing youth football, middle school football or high school football". This lack of passion and support for HS school football is part of the problem. I don't have a son playing HS football anymore but I still enjoy watching and commenting on the games.

We talk about this every year, and don't get me wrong there has been a lot progress made but we still have along way to go before we can compete for a state title. It's too easy to say the top tier teams across the state are bigger, faster, better skilled, or have better coaches, because all of those things can be duplicated by our players. So it may be true in some areas but not all. Without naming names we have had our own share of good players and coaches over the years but it hasn't been enough. Our youths are starting to play football as early as 5-7 years of age and throughout middle and high school. I wonder if their passion to play is somehow diminished in high school and as a result they no longer have the passion or the discipline in the off season to prepare. A majority of athletes that start playing sports at a very young age do it for fun. But they soon learn its all about competing and winning, and for many kids its no longer fun for them. I wonder how much that factors into the equation? I'm just brainstorming, and I don't claim to have all of the answers. But you made some very good points worth pondering.

I would like to hear from the coaches themselves that played in this years playoffs, not what they told the media, but their truth feelings about the state of HS football in EL Paso, and what teams need to do to cross that threshold.

The important thing is that we continue the conversation.

The problem with our kids not excelling or competing outside of the 915 is lack of training in the off season (strength, speed, and agility). Off season programs to include college skills camps (not just UTEP) are very key. Our kids and many parents think they can improve from year to year by sitting at home playing PS4. Coaches don't make it mandatory to be in the weight room (developed weight training program). If there is a program, the coaches are not monitoring or establishing measures to ensure the athletes are improving their strength. Coaches also should be monitoring and assessing his returning teams capability and provide/recommend training that is needed in the off season. Use your Booster Clubs to help train these athletes if that does not violate any school policies. Coaches put the players in the right position. If a ILB does not have the speed to play inside/out he will not be effective for you. Parents push your kids. There is a bigger world outside of El Paso football. Help them strive to be more than a local school hero. Most don't expect their kids to play past high school so there are no plans to try to improve. Parents be ready to invest training dollars to improve these athletes (Cost of Doing Business). Year after the year, I hear parents bragging that certain football teams will do this and that. When I see the teams, it is obvious what those athletes have done in the off season. As soon as they face teams outside of EP, the results are horrible. We look good locally because the majority of the programs are weak so we don't get a good assessment of our capabilities until playoffs. Compared to other teams outside the EP area, our teams look smaller, slower, weaker, and no agility. That is my take from what I have seen over the past 10 years.

Discipline ,techniques,team structure,good nutrition and mental prep. will take you to next levels

From what I've seen since returning to El Paso is that we lack across the board in all of these matters above. Kids thinking that they have no more for coaching and so they slack off in class room and extra curricular activities. If they think they have peaked in their sport, they shouldn't been on your team. I have see/heard that students are the victims of bad grades due to teachers, or student athletes being favorites on the field. I love High School sports and the competition that goes on the field of courts. Let's hold those kids accountable for their action on and off the field.Make them accountable and stop spoiling them! Coaching is not easy ,but C'mon man you can make changes if things are not working. Bench who is not performing.That mean more film time on Saturday's before team shows up.Coaches start heading to some camps where you can learn some basic fundamentals in all position!! Please ! Much talent in this part of the state. I seen lack of team playing and individual task on the field where kids quite their assignments 2 seconds into the play!! What happen to play till whistle is blown? So frustrating to watch potential next level talent just blow it away due to lack of discipline. I enjoyed coaching Offensive and Defensive line.That is where the games are won!! Coach from the line outward please coaches.We need techniques to super seed all muscle players. Have more area coaching camps for El Paso coaches.Coach up, mix it up coaches.Study up to coach up. Use the talent that is there. Pull it out of them.Motivate teach ,be an example a roll model to these kids. Start your season with we will make at least semi finals in state vice lets win district.. Higher goal mind set will get you much much more attention and results in each player in which will get you a solid team on the field and in the classroom. Thank you

I agree with you 100%.

Lesson Learned: Going 10-0 regular season and bragging about past accomplishments doesn't guarantee you'll go far in the playoffs. (frog,tea)

What is your point? Your comment is not relevant to what was said!

Coach up our kids.. Discipline...team structures... mentor our kids..provide the tools needed.. utilize all tools available to teach and coach..higher goals means higher accomplishments..coach those who are open to be coach and learn daily..no super stars on a team..all a team effort..

I wasn't bragging about a 10-0 season OO OO. Wasn't a bad thing either winning all scheduled games ,was it? Teams play to win, mission accomplished. It being said,we need our schools to be competitive beyond our district. Let's be recognized for sending multiple schools to play off's and to be a threat in state . That was my whole reason for posting sir or madam. Lets put our area schools in play off's and make them research our schools like we do other schools east of us..

Lesson Learned:

Teams are bigger and much faster outside of ELP!

Boaz, there will always be bigger and faster teams across from you. That's why you coach kids up and beat your opponent via other means. Size and speed is great to have on your team ,but having field wisdom and awareness is great. Technique will beat that ..take away the speed work around size ..it's all there. We can not use that as an excuse any longer..Coaches "COACH" "TEACH"

I was not sure if I should put this here or the other thread... Watch out for how these teams that knocked El paso teams out of the playoffs do. I guess some of them like San Angelo Central could do really well, others will run into a wall once they face stiffer competition. So there is more work to do. It is not enough to aim at beating teams from districts 3-4, because beyond those barriers and road blocks the competition is much stronger.

"Losers assemble in small groups and complain about the coaches and other players. Winners assemble as a TEAM and find ways to win".

Orange Eagle
Boaz, there will always be bigger and faster teams across from you. That's why you coach kids up and beat your opponent via other means. Size and speed is great to have on your team ,but having field wisdom and awareness is great. Technique will beat that ..take away the speed work around size ..it's all there. We can not use that as an excuse any longer..Coaches "COACH" "TEACH"
are you implying that our coaches are not coaching. Be specific who is not coaching? I know you are not directing that ignorant statement towards the eagles..

w w w . e p g r i d i r o n . c o m