EP GRIDIRON
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Dr. Darryl Henson ~ I love El Paso, but it's time we as leaders and coaches begin the discussion on

Interesting. I know a lot of El Pasoans have talked about this within this forum in the past but no one had actually moved forward or put any action into all that talk. Dr. Darryl Henson is wanting to begin a movement and transform El Paso, TX high school football in a major way and who is to blame him after what occurred in the 2nd round of the Texas State Playoffs this year with 5 El Paso teams eliminated and eliminated badly. Enough is enough says Darryl Henson.

Dr. Darryl Henson
https://twitter.com/DrHenson2

"I love El Paso, but it's time we as leaders and coaches begin the discussion on how to make our athletics competitive throughout the state! It's not acceptable for every team from this city to be sitting at home after the second round. I'll take the lead! Let's all work together."

Re: Dr. Darryl Henson ~ I love El Paso, but it's time we as leaders and coaches begin the discussio

Hes been here a couple years, right? I know coach Kirkland is also from out of town so they probably have a different perspective and approach to this problem than those of us who probably spent most (or all) of our lives here.

I have always been a big supporter of tough nondistrict opponents. Schools like El Dorado and Montwood usually have tough non-district schedules. Socorro and Coronado for Canutillo were weak choices. I know it might be tough to get other schools to schedule you but I wish coach brooks would have been able to set up games versus tougher foes. Jeff and Socorro for Parkland was also bad. It does the teams no good to pad their records and stats against schools that are not going to prepare them for out of town speed/strength.

Will add more in bit dealing with enrollment and classifications.

Re: Dr. Darryl Henson ~ I love El Paso, but it's time we as leaders and coaches begin the discussio

RolyPoly
Hes been here a couple years, right? I know coach Kirkland is also from out of town so they probably have a different perspective and approach to this problem than those of us who probably spent most (or all) of our lives here.

I have always been a big supporter of tough nondistrict opponents. Schools like El Dorado and Montwood usually have tough non-district schedules. Socorro and Coronado for Canutillo were weak choices. I know it might be tough to get other schools to schedule you but I wish coach brooks would have been able to set up games versus tougher foes. Jeff and Socorro for Parkland was also bad. It does the teams no good to pad their records and stats against schools that are not going to prepare them for out of town speed/strength.

Will add more in bit dealing with enrollment and classifications.

RolyPoly non district only matters if your coaches are actually good coaches and if those coaches actually have plenty of talented and skilled players on both sides of the ball and also with the team having some depth. Look at Franklin they didn't fair to well this year and they had the toughest non district schedule in El Paso. Franklin played Midland, Odessa and Copperas Cove in non district and 2 of those 3 non district games were out of town where Franklin had to travel. So what's the excuse here? Scheduling good out of town teams in non district is great but not if your coaching staff stinks and there is not too much talent and skilled players for those stinky coaches to work with. Also what if La Bowie was to have scheduled tough out of town non district opponents and where La Bowie had to travel out of town for either 2 or 3 of those non district games? Let's imagine that. I will tell you what would happen. La Bowie would suffer injuries in non district and La Bowie would be limping through district play and they probably would not be competing for a district title as they did this year much less would they make it into the playoffs. I say this because look at Franklin they barely limped into the playoffs with that extremely tough non district schedule.

Anyways RolyPoly I think you are off topic with BeastofNE's topic here about Dr. Darryl Henson and his mission.

BeastofNE
Interesting. I know a lot of El Pasoans have talked about this within this forum in the past but no one had actually moved forward or put any action into all that talk. Dr. Darryl Henson is wanting to begin a movement and transform El Paso, TX high school football in a major way and who is to blame him after what occurred in the 2nd round of the Texas State Playoffs this year with 5 El Paso teams eliminated and eliminated badly. Enough is enough says Darryl Henson.

Dr. Darryl Henson

"I love El Paso, but it's time we as leaders and coaches begin the discussion on how to make our athletics competitive throughout the state! It's not acceptable for every team from this city to be sitting at home after the second round. I'll take the lead! Let's all work together."

Problem is that El Paso mentality.

Principals, Head Coaches, and Athletic Directors embrace fear by not wanting change nor do they want to ruffle any feathers within the schools, city as well as throughout the State. Majority of them love the way things are.

Principals will have the excuse that education first and athletics is not a priority blah blah blah so on and so forth. Most Principals do not see the big picture. They just do not see the huge benefit in the long run of successful football programs at the high school level or successful athletics in general at the high school level. Most Principals tell their students to dream big and to go after those dreams and to change the world but yet they themselves do not practice what they preach.

Head Coaches will not like the idea about consolidating 2 or 3 high school teams into 1 because then some head coaches and assistant coaches will lose their jobs and there will be less jobs around for them to apply for. Coaches love those direct depo$it$. Referees in El Paso will not like the idea of consolidating schools because then there will be less games to officiate which means less jobs and less payday. Oh and less Principals on the payroll.

Athletic Directors just hate more work. They believe they are already overwhelmed with work as it is and don't want anything else on their plate much less to work on something new from the ground up even though they know it's for the betterment of the student athletes, regular student's morale, pride, etc.., the schools in general, and the entire city in the long run.

Principals would not buy in, neither would upper administration if it meant hiring more coaches and them teaching less classes or off. And def. Coordinators not teaching classes. Would never happen. They want to teach the test and PLC and all that BS. All talk. I bet that parkland principal would never allow his defensive coordinator to just coach and maybe teach one class. Yeah right. Would never happen. I am willing to bet those teams in the third round with 15-18 coaches have OC and DC that teach one to none classes. Put up or shut up.

RolyPoly you are making excuses for Franklin and your point is off.

The Parkland Defensive Coordinator teaches no classes and is available for all 3 athletic periods. So Dr. Henson is making it happen. The city's schools and districts need to model their actions after what he has done at Parkland. It's time we stop the excuses and figure out a realistic plan. All the posts about less schools isn't realistic. That's the problem. We spend time complaining on things that we cannot fix. As a YISD tax payer, my attention will be focused on the appropriate use of school funds to support academics and athletics at the highest level. We have talked about this for years in this city and nothing is happened. But I think now that the most dynamic principal is on the mission, things might begin to change. Or at least I hope for EP...But for sure they will at The Park!

An idea of merging schools without moving students could work (sort of)
Campus A- Franklin
Campus B Coronado
possibly all 9th and 10th at Franklin (or vice versa )
11th and 12th at Coronado; use Franklin field as practice facility or stadium
Coronado will be rebuilt, don't build a stadium or EPISD can build a venue
similar to the SAC for their schools
Rename the school WESTSIDE HIGH or whatever
enrollment would be 5400- 5600
no overcrowding; more athletes to choose from; better teams
improved competition; increased revenue to one school; etc..etc..
seriously within 2 miles apart
can be done

Will all the red tape in our schools administrations hinder this case? Dr what can we do to motivate our schools to follow suit? I'm a firmly believe in structure, discipline , motivation and being and example of all these subjects that we do lack in our schools athletic structures. Let's coach up these kids and guide our future leaders to be the best in all things in their future.I love sports at the high school level ,lets show these kids that no one peaks out their max potential and talent at this level.

I don't know have a solution or idea or any wisdom to post at this time but I do know this as everyone else in El Paso knows. There's a big problem here that needs to be seriously addressed and this big problem is long overdue for being addressed and action must be taken. For crying outloud there are high schools at every street corner of El Paso like 7-Eleven's. High schools only 3 to 5 miles apart. Ofcourse our kids, athletic programs, are not going to fair well CONSISTENTLY during playoff season especially in football. This is a no brainer. Ok fine the high schools are already up they can't be knocked down but organization in some way can be figured out for the sake of the kids and the athletic programs to be able to compete or be given a fighting chance in the playoff season to make deep runs. The proof like some are saying is just this years playoffs. Look closely at what happened. Five local EP teams lost in the early 2nd round and all 5 local teams lost by an average of 34 points. Local EP teams were scored on by an average of 50 points. There's a problem people and this is nothing new. Yes progress has been made in recent years but that progress has not been consistent and our local coaches and athletes have to work harder than most throughout the state just. I know life is not fair but something should be done where the schools are fair and our local athletes and teams have a fighting chance.

Next season will come and it will be the same result as this season.

El Paso football teams will be eliminated in the 2nd Round and 1 El Paso football team just 1 El Paso football team might get through by a lucky field goal in the final seconds to advanced to the 3rd Round.

I know this and out of town teams know this, sports reporters and editors know this and every other Texan knows this. It does not take a genius or a person with a crystal ball for anyone to make that prediction months and months and months before a high school football season even begins.

i do not believe that parklands offensive and defensive coordinators dont teach. some of the best coordinators in the city teach a full load . if that is true we must all follow their example. no wonder they did so well. other admin would never allow that. especially if you lose. keep dreaming.

I live in Michigan and my son goes to Montwood. I've been following El Paso HS Football for only 4 years, so I might not be the most qualified person to comment. However, as an outsider looking in, I can see that there's something fundamentally lacking with EP teams. I don't think it's lack of talent or size or community indifference. What I've noticed is that el paso teams are too similar. Spread offense, fast paced offensive schemes with scores like 52-47, and total offense of 350-550 ypg/team. That's great for highlight reels and individual stats, and entertainment. Unfortunately that mindset seems to fail when traveling to the rest of Texas.
Teams from amarillo, abilene, odessa, lubbock, dallas, have program philosophies that are taught at a very early age. Fundamentals and discipline are at the core.
EP Teams go into playoffs very predictable (spread and air it out). Other teams know that. and that's why EP offenses don't move the ball well. They're playing against teams that play disciplined hard nosed defenses that know how to contain and tackle.
And EP Defenses aren't ready for playoffs because they're not used to getting pounded on the ground by 200lb backs all game. These other teams O-lines know how to block for the run game.
In my opinion, consolidating schools or increasing the talent pool isn't the solution. A changed mindset by the coaches, parents, schools needs an adjustment.
I think most people see the discrepancies from EP Teams and the rest of the state. They're all pretty much the same: EP Teams get run over and Defenses spend all game on field.
Everybody knows EP Teams are going to air it out, so they key on it and stop it before the pass attack even begins.
It's almost like having Oregon playing Alabama every year. Who wins that game 9 times out of 10 ?
Football has a fundamental philosophy and programs that get it, succeed.

Phil
I live in Michigan and my son goes to Montwood. I've been following El Paso HS Football for only 4 years, so I might not be the most qualified person to comment. However, as an outsider looking in, I can see that there's something fundamentally lacking with EP teams. I don't think it's lack of talent or size or community indifference. What I've noticed is that el paso teams are too similar. Spread offense, fast paced offensive schemes with scores like 52-47, and total offense of 350-550 ypg/team. That's great for highlight reels and individual stats, and entertainment. Unfortunately that mindset seems to fail when traveling to the rest of Texas.
Teams from amarillo, abilene, odessa, lubbock, dallas, have program philosophies that are taught at a very early age. Fundamentals and discipline are at the core.
EP Teams go into playoffs very predictable (spread and air it out). Other teams know that. and that's why EP offenses don't move the ball well. They're playing against teams that play disciplined hard nosed defenses that know how to contain and tackle.
And EP Defenses aren't ready for playoffs because they're not used to getting pounded on the ground by 200lb backs all game. These other teams O-lines know how to block for the run game.
In my opinion, consolidating schools or increasing the talent pool isn't the solution. A changed mindset by the coaches, parents, schools needs an adjustment.
I think most people see the discrepancies from EP Teams and the rest of the state. They're all pretty much the same: EP Teams get run over and Defenses spend all game on field.
Everybody knows EP Teams are going to air it out, so they key on it and stop it before the pass attack even begins.
It's almost like having Oregon playing Alabama every year. Who wins that game 9 times out of 10 ?
Football has a fundamental philosophy and programs that get it, succeed.

Phil like you said you only have been following El Paso high school football for only 4 years. You should look at the HISTORY of EL PASO HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL from 1960 through 2016. Look at El Paso high school football for those 56 years and results of El Paso teams during the Playoffs are consistently the same. It has nothing to do with airing it out as years ago teams would not air it out and the results were the same in the Texas state playoffs back then as local El Paso teams would fail to get through the 2nd Round. This problem has gone on for way too long and it's a problem that goes far beyond just teaching proper fundamentals and discipline. If like you said fundamentals and discipline is the problem then you are saying that fundamentals and discipline have been a problem since 1960 and for 56 years. Sorry but I don't buy that. There's a bigger problem at hand here than just fundamentals and discipline and it needs to be addressed immediately.

There are some people that will use Canutillo's historic run in the playoffs back in 2014 against this discussion with them saying that if Canutillo almost got to the State Championship only 1 game shy with their deep playoff run that other local area El Paso teams can do it. This is far from the truth.

What I would like to say to those people is this but please do not take this as if I'm attacking Canutillo's historic run. Not at all. I'm only posting this truth as information so those leading this mission may see clearly through all the smoke and be confident knowing that the problem is bigger than they actually think and that if things continue the way things are right now that a local area El Paso team will never ever in anyone's lifetime reach the State Championship Title Game.

2014 Canutillo with 11 wins and 1 loss in the 2nd Round were very and I mean very fortunate to have had a 5 win 6 losses San Angelo Lake View team to play in that 2nd Round. Don't overlook this as this is very important! 2014 Canutillo was with 11 wins and 1 loss at the time before facing San Angelo Lake View in the 2nd Round and this 5 win and 6 losses team in Lake View gave Canutillo troubles during the game but Canutillo pulled away in the second half with a 27-10 win to advance to the 3rd Round. Again a 5 win and 6 losses team Canutillo faced in the 2nd Round. Very fortunate! It was the perfect opportunity for Canutillo a local area El Paso team to advance to the 3rd Round of the playoffs.

My point of that is to look at what it took for 2014 Canutillo a local area El Paso team to advance to the 3rd Round. It took for a 2014 Canutillo 11 wins and 1 loss team to play a 5 win and 6 losses team in San Angelo Lake View to advance to the 3rd Round and Canutillo barely pulled out that win in the 2nd Round against that San Angelo Lake View team under .500%.

Now look at who 2016 Canutillo with a 11 wins and 0 loss record was facing against in the 2nd Round this season. It was Abilene Cooper with a 7 wins and 4 losses record before facing Canutillo. A 11-0 Canutillo team against a 7-4 Abilene Cooper team and Abilene Cooper beats the 11-0 team by 32 points. Totally lopsided!!! Abilene Cooper was no team under .500% and the result Canutillo not advancing to the 3rd Round.

Back to 2014. 2014 Eastlake with 8 wins and 3 losses at the time played a Lubbock Cooper team who also had 8 wins and 3 losses before facing Eastlake. Anyways what's important about this game? Well Eastlake was very and I mean very fortunate to play that 2nd Round playoff game here at home at the SAC which was a first I think for a El Paso team to host a 2nd Round game here in the city of El Paso. This is very important. Why? Well Duh! Eastlake again was 8-3 and Lubbock Cooper was 8-3 and Eastlake beat Lubbock Cooper 32-14 by 18 points! Did Eastlake playing here at home in the 2nd Round play a factor in that lopsided win for Eastlake against a 8-3 team? Ofcourse it did.

Staying in 2014. 2014 Del Valle with 10 wins and 1 loss at the time played Amarillo Palo Duro with 7 wins and 4 losses in the 2nd Round. Del Valle did not play here in El Paso they played in Midland. What about this game? Well Del Valle again with 10 wins and 1 loss and with a Division 1 quarterback in Steven Montez they struggled with Amarillo Palo Duro. If I can recall Del Valle was only up by a touchdown at halftime against this 7-4 team. Del Valle pulled away in the 2nd half and won by like 20 points. So what can we take out of this 2nd Round game. Well it took a El Paso team to have a elite division 1 prospect to advance his team past the 2nd Round of the playoffs.

I bring up the 2014 playoff season because a lot can be learned here. 3 local area El Paso teams Canutillo, Eastlake, and Del Valle advanced past the 2nd Round of the playoffs and played in the 3rd Round.

Eastlake beat Lubbock Cooper in Midland in 2014. They beat Lubbock Cooper in the SAC in 2015.

Starts with the El Paso City Youth Football league and who's running it. After that, the problem continues at the middle school level. Horrible football being played in the majority of middle schools. The rules applied by the people in charge at these levels sissify the players. Forgive my non political correct description. Football needs to be taken more seriously at this point of the athletes lives. It's unfair to most high school football programs to be building freshmen from scratch.

In no way am I saying to hurt young kids, or put them in harms way. Let's play safe football, teach them proper technique, but let them play some balllllll. Also, very important, if you are a coach. STOP!! Building kids over others just because they're your kid, friends kid, etc....Allow them to compete and find the talent. Crushing a kid young may be hurting out futures.

Football just like Boxing and many other violent sports is not for everyone. We have to stop seeing as recreational and always stay competitive!

Have many more points but then I jump around and start making no sense.

El Ferna
Eastlake beat Lubbock Cooper in Midland in 2014. They beat Lubbock Cooper in the SAC in 2015.

Are you sure it was Midland? Wasn't it at the SAC or was it Pecos? I may have my 2014 and 2015 info mixed up. Please provide insight so that the truth may be seen.

epgerm
Starts with the El Paso City Youth Football league and who's running it. After that, the problem continues at the middle school level. Horrible football being played in the majority of middle schools. The rules applied by the people in charge at these levels sissify the players. Forgive my non political correct description. Football needs to be taken more seriously at this point of the athletes lives. It's unfair to most high school football programs to be building freshmen from scratch.

In no way am I saying to hurt young kids, or put them in harms way. Let's play safe football, teach them proper technique, but let them play some balllllll. Also, very important, if you are a coach. STOP!! Building kids over others just because they're your kid, friends kid, etc....Allow them to compete and find the talent. Crushing a kid young may be hurting out futures.

Football just like Boxing and many other violent sports is not for everyone. We have to stop seeing as recreational and always stay competitive!

I've only been around EP Football for so long, but I have noticed that the City teams that stay competitive make a difference in the long run.

We all know the T Birds, Raiders, NE Cowboys have made a difference for High School Football. Bandits chiming in, Panthers already making a mark. SC Bears played a huge part for Bowie. WS Eagles, Tribe and we could keep going. The more competitive we are here locally the better we will be abroad. With all this being said, the stars have to align to build a State Championship team. It'll happen!

epgerm

That is so true. But it would not matter at the middle school level if all that was fixed as those middle school football athletes will face the problem that is present at the high school level. Besides a most youth football and middle school players who were star players at those levels do not end up being star players at the varsity level. I've seen it all too many times. Talented youth and middle school players and they wind up as backups at the varsity level. Yes there are a some star players that end up being stars at the varsity level but not many.

epgerm
epgerm

I've only been around EP Football for so long, but I have noticed that the City teams that stay competitive make a difference in the long run.

We all know the T Birds, Raiders, NE Cowboys have made a difference for High School Football. Bandits chiming in, Panthers already making a mark. SC Bears played a huge part for Bowie. WS Eagles, Tribe and we could keep going. The more competitive we are here locally the better we will be abroad. With all this being said, the stars have to align to build a State Championship team. It'll happen!

Once again that is true. epgerm you are bringing up good points but that does not remedy the problem that is going on at the high school level in the playoffs. Don't get off topic here. El Paso high school coaches and youth football coaches and middle school football coaches can recruit all they want and work with one another behind closed doors which has been going on but where are the results at the varsity level in the playoffs? Sure recruitment and such which no one likes to talk about because it shouldn't be taking place only works for El Paso teams to be successful locally and to make the El Paso head coach and assistant coaches look good and to help them keep their jobs. But once the playoffs come around those teams who did illegal recruiting don't look so good in the playoffs. There's a big problem at the high school level and it has to be remedied.

Many El Paso high school coaches can recruit all they want but when the playoffs come around all that recruitment is all for not but it makes the coaches look good as they win only in El Paso and they get to keep their job despite not taking their all star recruited team deep into the playoffs or atleast past the 3rd Round of the playoffs.

There's a big problem at hand and it's bigger than the good points you are making epgerm. And this big problem stems for nearly 60 years.

TheTruth
El Ferna

Are you sure it was Midland? Wasn't it at the SAC or was it Pecos? I may have my 2014 and 2015 info mixed up. Please provide insight so that the truth may be seen.

El Ferna I just confirmed. You are correct Eastlake did not play at the SAC in 2014 it was in 2015 as you stated when Eastlake played that 2nd Round playoff game here in El Paso which again like I state previously was a first for any El Paso team to host a 2nd Round playoff game.

@The Truth

Well let's say it's not a complete remedy, to overhaul youth but it should help?

You brought up a good point.....most youth football teams focus on the All Stars, focus on they're studs. At some point when they have to compete for a spot later in life, they are spoiled brats that were used to gimme. That's why many end up quitting or pouting as back ups. They were so used to being the stars that it didn't matter if they missed a day or two of practice, they still started on game day. High school programs won't stand for that crap.

I will get back to point but I stand by statements. Overhauling youth won't fix it but it's a start. All Middle School coaches need to be experienced and knowledgeable. Schools need to take athletics and competition seriously. The district puts up rules to make it nice and recreational. Schools hang up banners that were won by kids that have been prepped elsewhere.

Parents have a big day nowadays. Open enrollment, magnet schools everywhere. Parents are gonna have to make that drive and choose a football program for the kids. Problem is, a school like Chapin has that now, and everyone still criticizes them for not doing much. Another issue is just because you move your kid to a winning program is not gonna make him a winner. You may be affecting the program more than helping it because the athlete may not be a fit.

Allow the coaches to recruit what they need for they're program. Allow parents to help the kid decide if this is the best road. Just like you would for the next level. Don't allow coaches to take it all and spread the wealth.

Like I said before......before you know it I just start rambling. there's so much to bring up

BeastofNE

Dr. Darryl Henson

I've always thought Nutrition is a big part of an athletes success. Our Football programs should have the right and funds to hire real personal trainers and nutritionists.

I am not an expert and I do not know every school's situation, but I did play high school football in El Paso and I have been around it for a long time. I don't think this problem has just one answer, I think there are a lot of factors.

1. There should be more player accountability. When I was in school players were allowed to miss practice or practice at 50%, and they were coddled their entire career. Players got bored and were looking forward to basketball in October and November before the season even ended. Instead of treating football like a business, they treated it like it was peewees and middle school still. Players at Permian, Ryan, Guyer, Steele, Allen, Katy, and other prestigious programs treat football like a college and NFL player does.

2. Coaches should be attending multiple clinics a year. There are clinics hosted in El Paso, San Antonio, Houston, Austin and Dallas. All of them are put on by successful high school and college programs. There are even strength and conditioning clinics to help coaches execute a successful off season program. There are two big reasons why El Paso coaches do not go to a lot of these clinics. 1. They are content where they are and do not feel the need to attend these clinics and 2. Their school districts will only pay for one or two of these clinics, MAX, a year. Also we have a D1 program in El Paso, and although UTEP is not a contender for the conference title each year, their coaches still have a lot of knowledge about the game. Especially about the off-season. So coaches please go talk to Kugler and his staff.

3. Community Support. In other cities throughout Texas their games are packed with fans from their community. Everyone knows who the players are and they support their team every week. Now I am not saying that parents and relatives need to be in the head coaches office Monday-Saturday talking x's and o's with him or telling him who he needs to play. But the community needs to support these teams by attending games, supporting fundraisers, and even supporting programs that promote El Paso football. During the season it is healthy competition to trash talk and promote your team as long as you are making it personal. Like specifically singling out a player or coach and talking trash about them. But once the season is over and the 12 teams have advanced to the playoffs, the community needs to back each team. Especially against the out of town teams.

4. Funding. One of two things need to happen. Either school districts need to increase the football program's budget so they can schedule more out of town teams and coaches can attend more clinics, or the players and coaches need to fundraise more. And again that falls under player and coach accountability. El Paso schools do not have the same boosters and funds that Allen, Katy, Permian, and some of the other schools in Texas have, so they need to fundraise more to help pay for these things. But scheduling 3 cupcake games in the preseason, 2 in 2-5A, is not going to help prepare the schools for the out of town teams in the playoffs. Schools need to schedule tougher opponents and sometimes that means traveling outside of El Paso and that is where funding comes in to play.

5. The talent in El Paso is spread around way too much. There are a lot of schools in Dallas ISD and the same thing with Houston and San Antonio and some of the larger cities in Texas but the big difference is that in Dallas, San Antonio, and Houston is you have suburbs with massive schools. For Example outside of Dallas you have DeSoto, South Lake, Plano, Allen, Euless and more. Outside of of Houston you have Pearland, Katy, The Woodlands, Cypress, and so on. Outside of San Antonio, you have Boerne, New Braunfels, Cibilo, Judson, O'connor and more. El Paso has the talent but it is hard to compete when you have three districts in one city and not much outside of El Paso. Obviously it can be done without combining schools because Canutillo was one game away from the state championship in 2014.

This is just what I have seen in El Paso. One last thing I have also observed as a problem is expectations. I know this has been brought up by almost everyone. The athletes and coaches need to be making the state title game as their number one goal. Being the district champion is a great accomplishment, but it is no where near as great as a state championship or a regional championship for that much. These are just my thoughts on the issue. Some may agree and some may disagree. One thing we can all agree on is we all want to see El Paso schools making much more noise in the playoffs.
To the coaches and players that may see this, the off-season starts now. Lets get in the weight room and on the track and field and start building towards next year's goals.

Eastsider
Next season will come and it will be the same result as this season.

El Paso football teams will be eliminated in the 2nd Round and 1 El Paso football team just 1 El Paso football team might get through by a lucky field goal in the final seconds to advanced to the 3rd Round.

I know this and out of town teams know this, sports reporters and editors know this and every other Texan knows this. It does not take a genius or a person with a crystal ball for anyone to make that prediction months and months and months before a high school football season even begins.

Yeah man that's sad when we El Pasoans and out of towners already know what is going to happen to El Paso high school football teams in the 2nd round of the Texas state playoffs in 2017 and every year after that. They will lose. This has nothing to do with being or thinking negative. It has been like this for decades with El Paso high school football. Anyone can predict that El Paso high school football teams will lose against out of town opponents either in the 1st or 2nd round of the state playoffs and it will happen. It's guaranteed to happen.

Mongo,

I am sorry but I have to disagree with you and Eastsider on this one. Yes, the probability of El Paso schools losing in the 1st and 2nd round of the playoffs next year is high, but it is not guaranteed. Nothing in life is ever guaranteed. Yes for decades El Paso has repeated the same pattern year after year, but there are examples all over the place where patterns within programs have been broken. Baylor was one of the worst teams in the Big 12 year after year and then Art Briles changed that and made them a contender for the Big 12 championship almost every year. Right now Colorado and Washington State are battling to be in the Pac 12 championship and those are two teams that were considered one of the worst programs in FBS year after year. I know comparing college to high school is almost taboo because in college you are allowed to recruit and in high school you are stuck with the hand you are dealt, but if you can look past that, each school I brought up had to have changed from within to have the success they are having right now. Because after it is all said and done, the majority of the top high school recruits go to a program that is successful like Alabama, Florida, Clemson, and so on. That is the point I am trying to make. Yes El Paso may repeat this pattern in 2017 and 2018, but if the players, coaches, and community decide to change this like Dr. Henson is proposing, El Paso can break that pattern. The change has to come from within the program and if El Paso is trying to change as a city, then the change has to come from the players, coaches, and the community. As a community lets get behind our programs and promote this change.

And Canutillo would be stronger if the districts would eliminate free enrollment. If you have multiple districts, keep it segregated so that disillusioned parents living in CISD cannot transfer their kids to Coronado or Franklin and kids living in the EPISD should not have the option of competing in the CISD.

TheTruth
There are some people that will use Canutillo's historic run in the playoffs back in 2014 against this discussion with them saying that if Canutillo almost got to the State Championship only 1 game shy with their deep playoff run that other local area El Paso teams can do it. This is far from the truth.

What I would like to say to those people is this but please do not take this as if I'm attacking Canutillo's historic run. Not at all. I'm only posting this truth as information so those leading this mission may see clearly through all the smoke and be confident knowing that the problem is bigger than they actually think and that if things continue the way things are right now that a local area El Paso team will never ever in anyone's lifetime reach the State Championship Title Game.

2014 Canutillo with 11 wins and 1 loss in the 2nd Round were very and I mean very fortunate to have had a 5 win 6 losses San Angelo Lake View team to play in that 2nd Round. Don't overlook this as this is very important! 2014 Canutillo was with 11 wins and 1 loss at the time before facing San Angelo Lake View in the 2nd Round and this 5 win and 6 losses team in Lake View gave Canutillo troubles during the game but Canutillo pulled away in the second half with a 27-10 win to advance to the 3rd Round. Again a 5 win and 6 losses team Canutillo faced in the 2nd Round. Very fortunate! It was the perfect opportunity for Canutillo a local area El Paso team to advance to the 3rd Round of the playoffs.

My point of that is to look at what it took for 2014 Canutillo a local area El Paso team to advance to the 3rd Round. It took for a 2014 Canutillo 11 wins and 1 loss team to play a 5 win and 6 losses team in San Angelo Lake View to advance to the 3rd Round and Canutillo barely pulled out that win in the 2nd Round against that San Angelo Lake View team under .500%.

Now look at who 2016 Canutillo with a 11 wins and 0 loss record was facing against in the 2nd Round this season. It was Abilene Cooper with a 7 wins and 4 losses record before facing Canutillo. A 11-0 Canutillo team against a 7-4 Abilene Cooper team and Abilene Cooper beats the 11-0 team by 32 points. Totally lopsided!!! Abilene Cooper was no team under .500% and the result Canutillo not advancing to the 3rd Round.

Back to 2014. 2014 Eastlake with 8 wins and 3 losses at the time played a Lubbock Cooper team who also had 8 wins and 3 losses before facing Eastlake. Anyways what's important about this game? Well Eastlake was very and I mean very fortunate to play that 2nd Round playoff game here at home at the SAC which was a first I think for a El Paso team to host a 2nd Round game here in the city of El Paso. This is very important. Why? Well Duh! Eastlake again was 8-3 and Lubbock Cooper was 8-3 and Eastlake beat Lubbock Cooper 32-14 by 18 points! Did Eastlake playing here at home in the 2nd Round play a factor in that lopsided win for Eastlake against a 8-3 team? Ofcourse it did.

Staying in 2014. 2014 Del Valle with 10 wins and 1 loss at the time played Amarillo Palo Duro with 7 wins and 4 losses in the 2nd Round. Del Valle did not play here in El Paso they played in Midland. What about this game? Well Del Valle again with 10 wins and 1 loss and with a Division 1 quarterback in Steven Montez they struggled with Amarillo Palo Duro. If I can recall Del Valle was only up by a touchdown at halftime against this 7-4 team. Del Valle pulled away in the 2nd half and won by like 20 points. So what can we take out of this 2nd Round game. Well it took a El Paso team to have a elite division 1 prospect to advance his team past the 2nd Round of the playoffs.

I bring up the 2014 playoff season because a lot can be learned here. 3 local area El Paso teams Canutillo, Eastlake, and Del Valle advanced past the 2nd Round of the playoffs and played in the 3rd Round.

So your reasoning for the success of 3 teams in 2014 is that their schedules were "easy" in the playoffs, right?

And it's not that anyone can't handle your "truth". Trust me, the ultimate goal is to have an El Paso school win state; I'm not defending Canutillo on this one. But I couldn't disagree with you more on your theory. A) Lakeview did not give Canutillo that much trouble. The truth is Lakeview ran a very different offense to what they had faced all year and needed to adjust. Plus Coach Brooks doesn't run up the score on teams. He plays very conservative when he gets leads. That's who he is. B) Canutillo lost to the state champion. You're argument would be valid if that had not been the case. And it wasn't until the 4th quarter when they pulled away. They were the better team.

The real truth is, that Canutillo 2014 was special. I could lie and tell you I knew what that "it" was. But in reality it was several factors that contributed. Ultimately, I find it very telling when we as El Pasoans try to find negative reasoning as to why they were successful rather then try and immulate what they did to make them successful. That right there, might be something to talk about.

Fan
I am not an expert and I do not know every school's situation, but I did play high school football in El Paso and I have been around it for a long time. I don't think this problem has just one answer, I think there are a lot of factors.

1. There should be more player accountability. When I was in school players were allowed to miss practice or practice at 50%, and they were coddled their entire career. Players got bored and were looking forward to basketball in October and November before the season even ended. Instead of treating football like a business, they treated it like it was peewees and middle school still. Players at Permian, Ryan, Guyer, Steele, Allen, Katy, and other prestigious programs treat football like a college and NFL player does.

2. Coaches should be attending multiple clinics a year. There are clinics hosted in El Paso, San Antonio, Houston, Austin and Dallas. All of them are put on by successful high school and college programs. There are even strength and conditioning clinics to help coaches execute a successful off season program. There are two big reasons why El Paso coaches do not go to a lot of these clinics. 1. They are content where they are and do not feel the need to attend these clinics and 2. Their school districts will only pay for one or two of these clinics, MAX, a year. Also we have a D1 program in El Paso, and although UTEP is not a contender for the conference title each year, their coaches still have a lot of knowledge about the game. Especially about the off-season. So coaches please go talk to Kugler and his staff.

3. Community Support. In other cities throughout Texas their games are packed with fans from their community. Everyone knows who the players are and they support their team every week. Now I am not saying that parents and relatives need to be in the head coaches office Monday-Saturday talking x's and o's with him or telling him who he needs to play. But the community needs to support these teams by attending games, supporting fundraisers, and even supporting programs that promote El Paso football. During the season it is healthy competition to trash talk and promote your team as long as you are making it personal. Like specifically singling out a player or coach and talking trash about them. But once the season is over and the 12 teams have advanced to the playoffs, the community needs to back each team. Especially against the out of town teams.

4. Funding. One of two things need to happen. Either school districts need to increase the football program's budget so they can schedule more out of town teams and coaches can attend more clinics, or the players and coaches need to fundraise more. And again that falls under player and coach accountability. El Paso schools do not have the same boosters and funds that Allen, Katy, Permian, and some of the other schools in Texas have, so they need to fundraise more to help pay for these things. But scheduling 3 cupcake games in the preseason, 2 in 2-5A, is not going to help prepare the schools for the out of town teams in the playoffs. Schools need to schedule tougher opponents and sometimes that means traveling outside of El Paso and that is where funding comes in to play.

5. The talent in El Paso is spread around way too much. There are a lot of schools in Dallas ISD and the same thing with Houston and San Antonio and some of the larger cities in Texas but the big difference is that in Dallas, San Antonio, and Houston is you have suburbs with massive schools. For Example outside of Dallas you have DeSoto, South Lake, Plano, Allen, Euless and more. Outside of of Houston you have Pearland, Katy, The Woodlands, Cypress, and so on. Outside of San Antonio, you have Boerne, New Braunfels, Cibilo, Judson, O'connor and more. El Paso has the talent but it is hard to compete when you have three districts in one city and not much outside of El Paso. Obviously it can be done without combining schools because Canutillo was one game away from the state championship in 2014.

This is just what I have seen in El Paso. One last thing I have also observed as a problem is expectations. I know this has been brought up by almost everyone. The athletes and coaches need to be making the state title game as their number one goal. Being the district champion is a great accomplishment, but it is no where near as great as a state championship or a regional championship for that much. These are just my thoughts on the issue. Some may agree and some may disagree. One thing we can all agree on is we all want to see El Paso schools making much more noise in the playoffs.
To the coaches and players that may see this, the off-season starts now. Lets get in the weight room and on the track and field and start building towards next year's goals.

5. The talent in El Paso is spread around way too much.

Heard this for years.. Not a major reason unless you look at the super freak cases like Allen(5987). The next 3 Texas schools enrollment wise are the Plano ISD schools. Their lack of success defies this rule. Southlake Carroll, one of the most successful athletic programs has an enrollment of 2601. Right around the average of the 1-6a schools.
Katy(3219), Euless(3246), Denton Ryan(2334), Desoto(2992), Permian(3523), and all of 2-6A first round opponents have less students than Eldorado(3806).
Attend a few HS football games in the DFW, Houston, or San Antonio areas and you will see the difference. Population can have a difference, but not as much as you're saying.

1. There should be more player accountability.

Try missing practices elsewhere....

Gamedude,

If you are going to quote me to disagree with me please quote everything from that paragraph not just the first line. Yes I did say the talent is spread around, especially with three separate districts in El Paso, but I did also reference the 2014 Canutillo team and I said that it can be done without combining schools. That is why I did not list that reason as the first because although it is an issue in El Paso it is not a major one. Please do not quote one line from my post to try and make me sound stupid.

Also Plano's lack of success is because of Allen. The top athletes go there because they know they will be recruited and also the new athletic facility is top of the line. If you were an athlete in that area where would you go? Allen or one of the Plano schools?

This guy is talking for attention. Is he going to bring over Division 1 players from across the state? He's all talk it's not just coaching we don't have kids that are being recruited to top Division 1 schools. We might get 1 or 2 Division 1 players in one team at a time. And when we do they go to Utep and we know Utep sucks right now. Pretty sure if you gave most staffs in El Paso some of the rosters from Dallas schools they would do just as good. Sorry your 5'9 lb who weighs 180 can't tackle a 6'1 RB who runs a 4.5. Get real Dr. Henson is all talk he just wants publicity which you guys are giving him.

I would say Dr Henson lead the way , open the doors for El Paso football via of parkland football , coaches teach no classes bigger budgets , etc etc talk the talk walk the walk , I am for it but lead through example

TheTruth

So your reasoning for the success of 3 teams in 2014 is that their schedules were "easy" in the playoffs, right?

And it's not that anyone can't handle your "truth". Trust me, the ultimate goal is to have an El Paso school win state; I'm not defending Canutillo on this one. But I couldn't disagree with you more on your theory. A) Lakeview did not give Canutillo that much trouble. The truth is Lakeview ran a very different offense to what they had faced all year and needed to adjust. Plus Coach Brooks doesn't run up the score on teams. He plays very conservative when he gets leads. That's who he is. B) Canutillo lost to the state champion. You're argument would be valid if that had not been the case. And it wasn't until the 4th quarter when they pulled away. They were the better team.

The real truth is, that Canutillo 2014 was special. I could lie and tell you I knew what that "it" was. But in reality it was several factors that contributed. Ultimately, I find it very telling when we as El Pasoans try to find negative reasoning as to why they were successful rather then try and immulate what they did to make them successful. That right there, might be something to talk about.

Dots person I see that my post upset you and got you all worked up. I told you and others from the Canutillo part of the world not to take offense to my post. I told you that I was using Canutillo's 2014 historic run in the playoffs as an example but no you Canutillo people are so quick to anger.

If you say that 2014 Canutillo was a special team then tell me when will it be until Canutillo has another special team to make a deep run like they did in 2014? Please enlighten me and others because Canutillo high school I think was established in the early 1960's and what it took Canutillo 50 years to get past the 3rd round of the playoffs. 50 years!!! So again tell me when will it be until another special Canutillo team comes along and does what the 2014 Canutillo team accomplished?

Look my point is that there is a problem with El Paso, TX HS football when it comes to the Texas state playoffs. I will repeat this 2014 Canutillo 11-1 at the time played a 5-6 San Angelo Lake View team in the 2nd Round which was a lucky draw in my opinion. They played a San Angelo Lake View team who had more losses than wins.

This year 2016 Canutillo with 11 wins and 0 losses was pinned up against 7-4 Abilene Cooper a team with more wins than losses unlike San Angelo Lake View back in 2014 and look what happened this season. Canutillo 11-0 lost by a large margin of 32 points to a 7-4 team in Abilene Cooper in the 2nd Round.

My point is that I agree with many that there is a problem and something needs to be done. If you don't want anything done then don't expect Canutillo or any other El Paso team to get past the 3rd Round any time soon not unless a El Paso team happens to be lucky and draw a 4-7 or 5-6 team in the 2nd Round.

A great start would be allowing athletic coordinators/ head coaches to have greater control over their feeder programs, even if it means switching the middle school seasons around to permit greater access by the high school coaches to those programs. It may get a little dicey with a school like Lincoln Middle that is split between Franklin and Coronado, but it gives these students a headstart in doing what those programs do. Next is education in strength, conditioning and nutrition to coaches, parents and student athletes that will assist in their athletic development. Lastly is administrative support in allowing coaches to attend coaching schools and clinics to further develop their craft.
Football in El Paso has improved a bit, but maybe there is a need to look at what allows some of the metroplex, Austin and Houston area programs to do so well without damaging their academic integrity and applying that here.

Re: Lake View in 2014

Sure, their record wasnt that good but they did have to beat a 7-3 Canyon team that was pretty good. I dont remember the specifics but I do know Canyon was the favorite and their only losses that year were to Tascosa, an Oklahoma team and Randall. By a TD or less. Randall lost in the quarterfinals to Aledo and Tascosa lost to Permian in the 2nd round. Lake View pulled the upset so thats the reason why Canutillo had to play them. Canyon was supposed to have beat Lake View, but they didnt.

District 4-5a this year was a beast. They were pretty good the last couple years but then you drop two teams like Monterey and Coronado in it and it just got stronger. Take a closer look at the Ab Cooper losses. They had a tough non-district schedule, so their record wasnt padded. They lost to Abilene, Austin Bowie and Grapevine. Abilene and Austin Bowie are still alive in the 6a playoffs. Grapevine lost last week to a darn good Aledo team. Their only district loss was to Lbk Coronado, we saw them dispatch Chapin fairly easily, even if it was the closest result this weekend.

epgerm
@The Truth

Well let's say it's not a complete remedy, to overhaul youth but it should help?

You brought up a good point.....most youth football teams focus on the All Stars, focus on they're studs. At some point when they have to compete for a spot later in life, they are spoiled brats that were used to gimme. That's why many end up quitting or pouting as back ups. They were so used to being the stars that it didn't matter if they missed a day or two of practice, they still started on game day. High school programs won't stand for that crap.

I will get back to point but I stand by statements. Overhauling youth won't fix it but it's a start. All Middle School coaches need to be experienced and knowledgeable. Schools need to take athletics and competition seriously. The district puts up rules to make it nice and recreational. Schools hang up banners that were won by kids that have been prepped elsewhere.

Parents have a big day nowadays. Open enrollment, magnet schools everywhere. Parents are gonna have to make that drive and choose a football program for the kids. Problem is, a school like Chapin has that now, and everyone still criticizes them for not doing much. Another issue is just because you move your kid to a winning program is not gonna make him a winner. You may be affecting the program more than helping it because the athlete may not be a fit.

Allow the coaches to recruit what they need for they're program. Allow parents to help the kid decide if this is the best road. Just like you would for the next level. Don't allow coaches to take it all and spread the wealth.

Com-on Man , it boils down to playing the talented kids per position on the team. Every Coach in every School have their favorite kids on the field and the talented ones on the bench.

Like I said before......before you know it I just start rambling. there's so much to bring up

Gamedude

El Dorado , Americas and Montwood have gone down in enrollment due to Pebble Hills, I think. I dont know the boundaries and zoning for each school. Their new enrollment is at a bit less than 3000 for El Dorado and Montwood is about 2400-2500.

I was sort of kidding when I said schools should cap enrollment so that they dont get put in the largest classification. But perhaps it would work out better to have schools be the big fish in 5a with enrollment at 2050-2100. Maybe next realignment some of the lower enrollment schools like Americas and Eastwood will drop down.

El Paso didnt fall behind the rest of the state overnight and they won't catch up overnight either..

It starts with $$$ investment in facilities, number of coaches, coaches going to clinics etc..school enrollment size isn't an issue....the powers that be and taxpayers have to decide if they will invest in a winning program or not....

Go look at some of the weightrooms, indoor facilties of state powers and compare them to El Paso schools..its night and day

http://laketravisfootball.com/facilities/

This is the difference between el paso football and successful teams across the state

TheTruth
TheTruth

Dots person I see that my post upset you and got you all worked up. I told you and others from the Canutillo part of the world not to take offense to my post. I told you that I was using Canutillo's 2014 historic run in the playoffs as an example but no you Canutillo people are so quick to anger.

If you say that 2014 Canutillo was a special team then tell me when will it be until Canutillo has another special team to make a deep run like they did in 2014? Please enlighten me and others because Canutillo high school I think was established in the early 1960's and what it took Canutillo 50 years to get past the 3rd round of the playoffs. 50 years!!! So again tell me when will it be until another special Canutillo team comes along and does what the 2014 Canutillo team accomplished?

Look my point is that there is a problem with El Paso, TX HS football when it comes to the Texas state playoffs. I will repeat this 2014 Canutillo 11-1 at the time played a 5-6 San Angelo Lake View team in the 2nd Round which was a lucky draw in my opinion. They played a San Angelo Lake View team who had more losses than wins.

This year 2016 Canutillo with 11 wins and 0 losses was pinned up against 7-4 Abilene Cooper a team with more wins than losses unlike San Angelo Lake View back in 2014 and look what happened this season. Canutillo 11-0 lost by a large margin of 32 points to a 7-4 team in Abilene Cooper in the 2nd Round.

My point is that I agree with many that there is a problem and something needs to be done. If you don't want anything done then don't expect Canutillo or any other El Paso team to get past the 3rd Round any time soon not unless a El Paso team happens to be lucky and draw a 4-7 or 5-6 team in the 2nd Round.

Anger?? Wow, way to exaggerate the Truth. Upset? Not even close buddy. I don't know how your hallucinating either of these extreme feelings but the only one getting their panties in a bunch is you. It's almost as if every time some one mentions Canutillo you cringe and fail to understand because your mind iS telling you to respond.

Read my post. I said I didn't know what that 2014 had that made them great. I can only speculate. And suggesting that I'm some sort of fortune teller by predicting the future and telling you when Canutillo or any other El Paso team will be "great" is just plain ignorant. No one can do that. But the fact remains that Canutillo has been the only team that has gotten past the first round. Why not look at HOW they did it instead of WHY they did it.

Again, Lakeview beat a pretty good Randall team that year. So maybe yes, they beat a not so good team the second round and your point is valid if that was all they did. But they also beat an undefeated Azle team, then followed it up by beating an established program in Everman with a heck of a running back. Then they gave the eventual State Champion a game for 3 Qtrs.

I can tell you dislike Canutillo fans, but we are not all that bad. Please pretend it was your team who did it in 2014 so that you can understand what im saying. And please pay ATTENTION to what I'm about to say before you go off on another rant, Mr. DONALD TRUMP. Not agreeing with you does not mean someone is upset or angry. It simply means they have a different opinion than you.

TheTruth

Okay but the following week Canutillo played Azle who was 11-1 and Canutillo was 11-1 and they seemed to have no problem with them winning 17-10. So what's your point??

I just know Coach Walker who this principal just tossed aside won area. He didn't have a division 1 rb or wr. He did have a good team. Let's see how long this new coach takes. He gets the 4th seed and beats Bowie lol and now he's the best Coach ever.

Bring Back Parklands helmets
I just know Coach Walker who this principal just tossed aside won area. He didn't have a division 1 rb or wr. He did have a good team. Let's see how long this new coach takes. He gets the 4th seed and beats Bowie lol and now he's the best Coach ever.

Lets see how long this coach takes? Tell us how long did it take for former Parklands head coach Walker to get Parkland past the 2nd round and tell us how many times did Walker do it? You failed to leave this out in your post.

Let me first say I am an Abilene fan who is typically a realist when it comes to our team. For example........we are gonna have to play lights out this week to be competitive with the Desoto's.

With that said here is my take from last friday night and how it may be a part of the 2nd round losses across the board.

1. Talent was not the issue........The O-line for Americas was bigger than our Oline. The team suited out well and had several kids, including the RB who was touted as the next Earl Campbell that could very well have started on the Abilene Team. As for the out come of offensive production of 7 yards rushing and less than 100 yards that had alot to do with not seeing a defense with speed or being used to playing that style of defense.

2. With no intention to offend anyone.......Americas got out-coached. On the first drive you saw Abilene make offensive adjustments. I saw no adjustment the entire night on offense from Americas. It looked to me that no work had been done to prepare for what Abilene threw at them on Defense. Blitz Blitz Blitz. Americas continued to run into the strength of the offense and attempted to run long developing passing plays. Screens, quick hitters and draws could have made a difference. It was like the coaches were in shell shock mode. That in my opinion is also attributable to experience against new schemes. Abilene sees every kind of adjustment through out the season. My guess is Americas never had to adjust much this season.

3. Realistic view of the team. Going into the game what we heard was best back in the State. What we saw was not that. Not the kids fault really but more of a one trick pony show. You will never win in Round 2 or 3 with a one trick pony. Although the stats looked great for the kid the fact is handing him the ball 300 plus times he is gonna have yards but you are gonna learn nothing about your teams other strengths. Because of the success against less teams on the ground the development of a team was never achieved.

4. For those at the game you saw Abilene not give the ball to its stud RB to begin the game. In fact, he was used as a decoy mostly. I watched 3 America defenders tackle the Rb while the QB waltzed into the endzone or while we threw the out route with little coverage. Obviously not sound defense. Abilene had a game plan to beat Americas in my opinion and America had a game plan to do what it does because it worked with no new wrinkles.

5. My other guys who we go to the games together one of them made the comment about the 4th quarter.............Americas has a lot of talent but the coaches don't know how to use it. I quote......"I am betting that if our coaches had that team and their coaches had our team the score might be flipped the other way." Abilene is NOT a ton of talent team, but is a system team that starts in the youth leagues and continues. Realize this system even though we changed coaches last year to a long time asst. has been in place 21 years! Consistency and fundamentals are taught just as much as game plan. Go watch a practice and you will see even today in the playoffs 30 to 45 minutes of basic fundamentals. Pursuit angle drills, tackling, catching, RB carrying the ball so they don't fumble and Linemen working on proper steps and positioning. Fundamentals Fundamentals cannot say it enough.

6. To get to where you want to be............El Paso must begin to have a realist view of where it is at. Winning the El Paso City Championship should not be the goal. The goal needs to change. Also, ejecting people who try just speak the truth must end. It is completely up to El Paso to change the perception not the rest of the State to believe your hype. It is not being disrespectful or rude it is just being a realist. I watched film of the RB that were faced Friday before the game and I can tell you I saw enough to say we would be able to stop him. Not because the RB but because of the fundamental blocking issues and our D-Coordinator.

Hopefully this will stay up long enough to be read but if not good luck next year!

WILDCAT90

Hopefully this will stay up long enough to be read but if not good luck next year!

Thanks for the perspective. I'm sure it is a combination of a number of factors. Less investment in football due to less available funds and also possibly less desire to invest. El Paso head coaches tend to be paid $20-30k less than those they're facing in Region 1. Obviously, they won't get the best coaches. I'm sure there is also a disparity in assistant coach pay.

There might also just be less interest in football, so a smaller percentage of the school's talent joins the team. 10 yrs ago, we had ~1760 students at Chapin, but only 1 freshman and 1 JV football team. We played Aledo in the playoffs, who had ~1300 enrollment, and I think they had enough for 2 freshman teams and 2 JV teams. So enrollment is not always indicative of how much talent gets down to the team.

I've also heard it helps to be in a single-school district so that all the feeder schools can get on the same page with the scheme and increased school loyalty. Many El Paso schools feed into multiple high schools, so it's not as easy to have the same schemes installed at the feeder school as a given high school.

If many EP schools are weaker due to some or all of these factors, that makes it difficult for the few good schools to find competition that will prepare them for playoffs. One way to address this would be tough pre-district competition, but EP is so far from the rest of the state that it is harder to arrange that.

I agree with you epgerm

Part of the problem starts with the youth programs. Kids at this level should be pushed harder to continue to excel. Most of the "good" players at this level believe that if they continue, they will be the starting "whatever" in their high school. Parents don't push them to continue to better themselves and coaches allow them to slack off because they continue to play regardless of practice attendance. Some teams even go as far as cheating by including overage children in their squads. While these tactics may get the team a trophy, the fact remains that children are suffering because of this. Not only are children being hurt by older children but also the overage child is also suffering from not playing at his/her level.
At the middle school level, I've seen many coaches who do not know what they are doing. Many schools are scrambling last minute to get a teacher to volunteer as coach. Many high schools offer summer conditioning programs that allow the participation of the middle school children. Yet not many children use this opportunity to better themselves.
At the high school level, I've observed much of the same behavior as in competetive youth programs. Favoritism, nepotism, should not be permitted. All kids should be pushed the same to excel. Most second string, third string kids are ignored for the most part. How do you know that a kid can perform if they are not give the opportunity to show what they can do? not even during practice. 9th grade squads are ignored for the most part. They should be developed and nurtured. Some 9th grade squads do well in their age level, by the time they get to 10th grade, they should be kept together for the most part, why? so that they can grow together and avoid injuries early in the squad's future. For example, valley view's undefeated squad from two years ago. A lot of them are now in the jv squad in DV. DV's Jv squad went undefeated this year and I believe undefeated as 9th graders. I'm willing to bet that this squad is going to do really well at varsity, provided that DV has continued to develop these players. By now, they've played almost fouryears (7th, 8th, 9th, 10th) together and they know and I'm sure trust each other more now. Unfortunately, many 9th graders are ignored. Once they get to JV, their squad has been broken up by some moving up to varsity as Sophomores. Many 9th graders become discouraged by the treatment they get as a second class athlete.
High school football coaches should continue to provide a work out for those athletes who do not have any other sport commitment throughout the year.
More investment should be made but that is not the end all of the issues. I think more commitment from parents and also from all programs starting from youth to high school to develop children into 5star athletes instead of obtaining a trophy.
My two cents.

TheTruth

Jesus Christ... you're wrong. Eastlake played at Pecos in a neutral field against Lubbock Cooper in 2014. In 2015 they played here at the SAC. Get your information write truth... idiot.

He wants to change things how about starting with facilities. Yisd facilities are terrible. Even Eastwood has plans that do not involve a practice field for other sports to use. All schools use the football field. They all share 1 weight room. The softball field isn't even on campus lol. How can anyone expect to compete when people at the top can't even design a proper school when now is the time with the bond money. This won't reach the proper people because if it makes sense they find a way not to do it.

You can have the best facilities in the state but if players don't have the discipline to use them, then what's the point?

1. Fix the middle school feeder programs, the high school coaches need to be able to hire and fire coaches as they see fit. The middle schools have to be running the systems that are in place at the high schools, if not you are already 2 years behind. This is one massive advantage Canutillo currently has they have total control of their Middle School program.

2. Hire More Coaches; Lubbock Cooper has over 20 coaches on staff for example, most El Paso 5A's have 11-13, that make a huge difference in individual work, game planning, scouting, etc....

3. $$$$$$$ cash is needed to build better facilities, send coaches to clinics, buy better equipment and travel to non-district games....better facilities= bigger, stronger and faster kids, coaches clinics = better networking for potential assistants and fresh ideas to continually be infused into the programs....non-district travel= the chance to play tougher teams early to measure yourself before the playoffs.....

4. El Paso needs to get tougher, HC's shouldn't be getting e-mails or letters from administrators saying "Team A hits too hard or plays too rough" that is a joke...El Paso by geography is isolated, so its on the powers that be in El Paso to try and clear that isolation away...

5. Patience, this isn't something thats going to happen overnight a complete change in culture and mentality is needed in El Paso to compete..without that culture change you'll have the occasional great team pop up or a great coach comes through but then gets sick of dealing with the crap and bolts the city at first chance..

Control the controllables, El Paso can't control the gene pool or who moves in etc....these above are all fixable with the right investment and mind set..

MattStepp
1. Fix the middle school feeder programs, the high school coaches need to be able to hire and fire coaches as they see fit. The middle schools have to be running the systems that are in place at the high schools, if not you are already 2 years behind. This is one massive advantage Canutillo currently has they have total control of their Middle School program.

2. Hire More Coaches; Lubbock Cooper has over 20 coaches on staff for example, most El Paso 5A's have 11-13, that make a huge difference in individual work, game planning, scouting, etc....

3. $$$$$$$ cash is needed to build better facilities, send coaches to clinics, buy better equipment and travel to non-district games....better facilities= bigger, stronger and faster kids, coaches clinics = better networking for potential assistants and fresh ideas to continually be infused into the programs....non-district travel= the chance to play tougher teams early to measure yourself before the playoffs.....

4. El Paso needs to get tougher, HC's shouldn't be getting e-mails or letters from administrators saying "Team A hits too hard or plays too rough" that is a joke...El Paso by geography is isolated, so its on the powers that be in El Paso to try and clear that isolation away...

5. Patience, this isn't something thats going to happen overnight a complete change in culture and mentality is needed in El Paso to compete..without that culture change you'll have the occasional great team pop up or a great coach comes through but then gets sick of dealing with the crap and bolts the city at first chance..

Control the controllables, El Paso can't control the gene pool or who moves in etc....these above are all fixable with the right investment and mind set..

MattStepp all of what your saying is on point as well as some of the other ideas people have posted on here. The problem is with the Districts! When a coach comes in and tries to implement some of these things he is hammered into place by the districts. (The nail that sticks out gets hammered!) A good example of this was Coach Satcher who came in from the Houston area to coach at Eastwood a few years back. He attempted to implement some things like this that could potentially help the program be competitive and he was told point blank by YISD powers that be "We don't do things this way in El Paso" and "You are trying to build a Football factory and we wont allow that" ...Coach Satcher was run off after one year and went on to run a program in the MUCH more competitive Houston area! The attitude needs to change from the District level down for us to have a shot at competing outside El Paso!

it all starts with upper administration. they act like they want you to win, but are not willing to pay for it, in any way. administrators, unfortunatly is what is wrong with education today. when i was growing up leaders were out to help you. now administration is all about i gotcha. things will never change in el paso.

Matt,

You have coaches that come from out of town mainly other parts of the state where football is a priority. Currently El Paso is behind because most believe it's okay to lose and you are suppose to lose your the out of town teams. That is the mindset. Coaches from other places try to implement things from the rest of the state, but are hit with constant roadblocks and barriers.

It's soooo many issues, because Simply put "Its Not Important to the Powers that Be". If they tell you different they aren't telling the truth. Like you said look at Coaching Numbers, Equipment Budgets, Professional Development Budgets, No control over feeders because the ms principal likes the current coach, Head Coaches still teaching classes, No ms athletic periods. If a coach does well in El Paso he should have a legitimate shot at getting an out of town job. Because he is use to working with "LESS".

And thats where its on the citizens to speak with their votes when it comes to school board candidates etc...thats the control taxpayers have

Nothing can be done to change things with high school football here in HellPaso. Even Utep football has been trying to change things for years and they can't win their conference much less win a bowl game. El Paso is cursed.

Edgar
Nothing can be done to change things with high school football here in HellPaso. Even Utep football has been trying to change things for years and they can't win their conference much less win a bowl game. El Paso is cursed.

Edgar why the sour attitude??? Noone is saying it will be easy but things can be changed ofcourse if people come together.

Jerry avila
Principals would not buy in, neither would upper administration if it meant hiring more coaches and them teaching less classes or off. And def. Coordinators not teaching classes. Would never happen. They want to teach the test and PLC and all that BS. All talk. I bet that parkland principal would never allow his defensive coordinator to just coach and maybe teach one class. Yeah right. Would never happen. I am willing to bet those teams in the third round with 15-18 coaches have OC and DC that teach one to none classes. Put up or shut up.

I agree with you Jerry. Go to the top 20 football schools in Texas and lets compare.....No comparison!

Changing things with El Paso Tx high school football is a very steep and I mean steep uphill battle. Impossible

Fan
Gamedude,

If you are going to quote me to disagree with me please quote everything from that paragraph not just the first line. Yes I did say the talent is spread around, especially with three separate districts in El Paso, but I did also reference the 2014 Canutillo team and I said that it can be done without combining schools. That is why I did not list that reason as the first because although it is an issue in El Paso it is not a major one. Please do not quote one line from my post to try and make me sound stupid.

Not trying to make anybody sound stupid. I only quoted a small part to try and reduce the size of the reply. I think El Paso high school football is most lacking in "coaching".

During the Chapin playoff game at Ratlif, Chapin rarely threw to a wide out who was towering above the single covering Lubbock defensive back. Other teams would have thrown jump balls that way until Coronado made an adjustment. I watched 3 of the playoff games in Odessa/Midland, and I didn't see the El Paso teams come up with "Plan B" after the opponent adjusted their game plans...

WILDCAT90
Let me first say I am an Abilene fan who is typically a realist when it comes to our team. For example........we are gonna have to play lights out this week to be competitive with the Desoto's.

With that said here is my take from last friday night and how it may be a part of the 2nd round losses across the board.

1. Talent was not the issue........The O-line for Americas was bigger than our Oline. The team suited out well and had several kids, including the RB who was touted as the next Earl Campbell that could very well have started on the Abilene Team. As for the out come of offensive production of 7 yards rushing and less than 100 yards that had alot to do with not seeing a defense with speed or being used to playing that style of defense.

2. With no intention to offend anyone.......Americas got out-coached. On the first drive you saw Abilene make offensive adjustments. I saw no adjustment the entire night on offense from Americas. It looked to me that no work had been done to prepare for what Abilene threw at them on Defense. Blitz Blitz Blitz. Americas continued to run into the strength of the offense and attempted to run long developing passing plays. Screens, quick hitters and draws could have made a difference. It was like the coaches were in shell shock mode. That in my opinion is also attributable to experience against new schemes. Abilene sees every kind of adjustment through out the season. My guess is Americas never had to adjust much this season.

3. Realistic view of the team. Going into the game what we heard was best back in the State. What we saw was not that. Not the kids fault really but more of a one trick pony show. You will never win in Round 2 or 3 with a one trick pony. Although the stats looked great for the kid the fact is handing him the ball 300 plus times he is gonna have yards but you are gonna learn nothing about your teams other strengths. Because of the success against less teams on the ground the development of a team was never achieved.

4. For those at the game you saw Abilene not give the ball to its stud RB to begin the game. In fact, he was used as a decoy mostly. I watched 3 America defenders tackle the Rb while the QB waltzed into the endzone or while we threw the out route with little coverage. Obviously not sound defense. Abilene had a game plan to beat Americas in my opinion and America had a game plan to do what it does because it worked with no new wrinkles.

5. My other guys who we go to the games together one of them made the comment about the 4th quarter.............Americas has a lot of talent but the coaches don't know how to use it. I quote......"I am betting that if our coaches had that team and their coaches had our team the score might be flipped the other way." Abilene is NOT a ton of talent team, but is a system team that starts in the youth leagues and continues. Realize this system even though we changed coaches last year to a long time asst. has been in place 21 years! Consistency and fundamentals are taught just as much as game plan. Go watch a practice and you will see even today in the playoffs 30 to 45 minutes of basic fundamentals. Pursuit angle drills, tackling, catching, RB carrying the ball so they don't fumble and Linemen working on proper steps and positioning. Fundamentals Fundamentals cannot say it enough.

6. To get to where you want to be............El Paso must begin to have a realist view of where it is at. Winning the El Paso City Championship should not be the goal. The goal needs to change. Also, ejecting people who try just speak the truth must end. It is completely up to El Paso to change the perception not the rest of the State to believe your hype. It is not being disrespectful or rude it is just being a realist. I watched film of the RB that were faced Friday before the game and I can tell you I saw enough to say we would be able to stop him. Not because the RB but because of the fundamental blocking issues and our D-Coordinator.

Excellent perspective Wildcat!! I could not agree more. I am a fan of Canutillo but one of the downsides of Coach Brooks is he will not change his offensive scheme even if it does not work. When you have matching talent on the other side, the better coached team will persevere.

I wonder if with our tax base, investing the amount of capital that you gentlemen propose, the goal of building a state title contender(s) doesn't put us in a difficult position in regards to the academic development of students. Consider this, schools like Allen, are often the sole high school in their district, in a small town or community. So essentially all of the support from the district and community goes to that school. For purposes of this post consider the terms support and money interchangeable. I guess that's kind of the line of thinking we follow when we talk about combining schools (not considering the logistical challenges). I think this was one of the keys of Canutillo's 2014 run. However, that's not all.
If we broke down the median household income of communities like Allen, Southlake, etc., they would be well north of El Paso MHI. That's because a majority of these tax payers are business owners, professionals, white collar people. Now El Paso is a blue collar town, wI think a growing population of young professionals. It's going to be a few years until these yuppies start to have kids. To make a long story short, it's probably going to be about a decade until we have the type of money to fund these types of projects. Unless of course we just decide to let our most underperforming schools drown now in exchange for a state title. Now ask yourselves, what is a state title in football worth to you?

Tdiddy
I wonder if with our tax base, investing the amount of capital that you gentlemen propose, the goal of building a state title contender(s) doesn't put us in a difficult position in regards to the academic development of students. Consider this, schools like Allen, are often the sole high school in their district, in a small town or community. So essentially all of the support from the district and community goes to that school. For purposes of this post consider the terms support and money interchangeable. I guess that's kind of the line of thinking we follow when we talk about combining schools (not considering the logistical challenges). I think this was one of the keys of Canutillo's 2014 run. However, that's not all.
If we broke down the median household income of communities like Allen, Southlake, etc., they would be well north of El Paso MHI. That's because a majority of these tax payers are business owners, professionals, white collar people. Now El Paso is a blue collar town, wI think a growing population of young professionals. It's going to be a few years until these yuppies start to have kids. To make a long story short, it's probably going to be about a decade until we have the type of money to fund these types of projects. Unless of course we just decide to let our most underperforming schools drown now in exchange for a state title. Now ask yourselves, what is a state title in football worth to you?

In theory, you are right. But I think you are being optimistic when you say 10 yrs before we can fund these projects. Most white collar tax payers in El Paso have zero interest in high school athletics unless they can make a buck out of it. These white collar tax payers also send their kids to private schools like Cathedral where athletics are a side bar. Those kids end up in medical schools (example) outside El Paso and once graduated we lose them to higher MHI areas such as the Metropolitan areas or even the Permian Basin. There, they get older have kids and only then do they contribute to their communities. Sadly, it's a never ending story for El Paso.

IMHO, we need to look at things that we have some control over. The discussion of having head coaches more involved in middle schools is interesting. I think it needs to trickle down to youth programs. Most of that 2014 Canutillo team had played together since they were 8-9 yrs old with the WS Eagles. There were others whom joined in from several other youth teams but they ended up playing against each other in middle school until they joined in high school. By then they had a goal in mind, to win state. The other contributing factor was that there were 3 CHS coaches' sons involved since youth football. I believe that was incentive enough for those coaches to coach a whole lot better.

Hey, I know Canutillo is not the Mecca of football in El Paso. Please know that I am only stating my opinions based on my observations with that team and several others that I've followed within the Canutillo community. I'm not implying anything other than that. I'm just trying to contribute to this conversations.

Tdiddy

In theory, you are right. But I think you are being optimistic when you say 10 yrs before we can fund these projects. Most white collar tax payers in El Paso have zero interest in high school athletics unless they can make a buck out of it. These white collar tax payers also send their kids to private schools like Cathedral where athletics are a side bar. Those kids end up in medical schools (example) outside El Paso and once graduated we lose them to higher MHI areas such as the Metropolitan areas or even the Permian Basin. There, they get older have kids and only then do they contribute to their communities. Sadly, it's a never ending story for El Paso.

IMHO, we need to look at things that we have some control over. The discussion of having head coaches more involved in middle schools is interesting. I think it needs to trickle down to youth programs. Most of that 2014 Canutillo team had played together since they were 8-9 yrs old with the WS Eagles. There were others whom joined in from several other youth teams but they ended up playing against each other in middle school until they joined in high school. By then they had a goal in mind, to win state. The other contributing factor was that there were 3 CHS coaches' sons involved since youth football. I believe that was incentive enough for those coaches to coach a whole lot better.

Hey, I know Canutillo is not the Mecca of football in El Paso. Please know that I am only stating my opinions based on my observations with that team and several others that I've followed within the Canutillo community. I'm not implying anything other than that. I'm just trying to contribute to this conversations.

I totally get you on that last statement, however Canutillo is the closest we have to that model of other Texas football factories in terms of a single high school for a district. Which I think contributes a lot to Canutillo's consistency and success.

Surely you mean Canutillo's consistency and success in El Paso not going deep into the playoffs right?

You are a hater, canutillo has been successful for a long time. And yes they have gone deep in the playoffs. They are the most successful program in the county. Just check their win ,loss record. History doesn't lie.

Edgar
Surely you mean Canutillo's consistency and success in El Paso not going deep into the playoffs right?

We'll I'm not sure what the latest Webster's definition of success is, but I'm positive that winning seasons count as some form of success. As for consistency, I'm sure that getting to the playoffs year after year could be considered a consistent pattern. Point being is that if your team is already consistent at doing good these things, it creates an environment in which a breakout season is feasible. I guess that your burning hatred towards CHS prevents you from even reading my previous posts correctly?

The reason these people get on here and hate on canutillo is down right jealousy.

History shows that not many El Paso area teams (11 man football) have gone 3 GAMES deep in the Texas State Playoffs in nearly 60 years.

Coronado Thunderbirds went 3 GAMES deep in the Texas State Playoffs in

NOTE: Back in the day Coronado played El Paso area teams in the 1st GAME of the Texas State Playoffs. It was not until the year 2002 that El Paso area teams mostly currently in 6A today began playing out of town opponents in the 1st GAME of the Texas State Playoffs. So when Coronado went 3 GAMES deep in the Texas State Playoffs in 1973, 1975 and 1979 they had played a El Paso area team in the 1st GAME of the Texas State Playoffs.

Fabens Wildcats went 3 GAMES deep in the Texas State Playoffs in

Andress Eagles went 3 GAMES deep in the Texas State Playoffs in

NOTE: Many El Pasoans have this notion that Andress has been a powerhouse in the Texas State Playoffs. Sorry but that is far from it. Andress has only been 3 GAMES deep in the Texas State Playoffs just ONCE and when they did that in 1990 they won in the 2 GAME of the Texas State Playoffs by penetrations where the game ended in a tie. Penetrations as some know was a old rule that existed back then. Andress really did not win that 2nd GAME in the Texas State Playoffs straight up as in today's rules.

Del Valle Conquistadors went 3 GAMES deep in the Texas State Playoffs in

NOTE: Del Valle in 2001 under former head coach Chuck Veliz has been the only El Paso area team to have beaten Abilene or any Abilene area team for that matter in the Texas State Playoffs.

Riverside Rangers went 3 GAMES deep in the Texas State Playoffs in

NOTE: Riverside was the 1st El Paso area team that went 3 GAMES deep in the Texas State Playoffs in back to back seasons.

Chapin Huskies went 3 GAMES deep in the Texas State Playoffs in

Franklin Cougars went 3 GAMES deep in the Texas State Playoffs in

NOTE: Franklin is the only 6A El Paso area team whose district immediately plays a out of town opponent in the 1st game of the Texas State Playoffs that has been 3 GAMES deep. Tougher task hence why you only see just one 6A team that has been 3 GAMES deep in the Texas State Playoffs. This 2005 Franklin team that went 3 GAMES deep in the Texas State Playoffs was head coached by Tony Grijalva.

Parkland Matadors went 3 GAMES deep in the Texas State Playoffs in

Burges Mustangs went 3 GAMES deep in the Texas State Playoffs in

Canutillo Eagles went 3 GAMES deep in the Texas State Playoffs in

Eastlake Falcons went 3 GAMES deep in the Texas State Playoffs in

NOTE: Eastlake just started varsity play in 2012 and already they have been 3 GAMES deep in the Texas State Playoffs 2 times in back to back seasons. 2 times in 5 years not bad at all.

History shows that only 1 El Paso area team (11 man football) has made it past 3 GAMES deep in the Texas State Playoffs in nearly 60 years. Canutillo Eagles went PAST 3 GAMES deep in the Texas State Playoffs in 2014.

Canutillo Eagles are the only El Paso area team that has gone past 3 GAMES deep in the Texas State Playoffs in nearly 60 years. Canutillo only has done this only once and no other El Paso area team has done it.

Going by history there should be no El Paso area team that is above any other El Paso area team when it comes to the Texas State Playoffs. If Canutillo decides to use their 2014 as bragging rights that is fine but Coronado and Chapin can also brag for they have been to 3 GAMES deep more times than Canutillo. Eastlake, Del Valle, and Riverside can also brag because they have been to 3 GAMES deep as many times as Canutillo.

My point to all this is that in nearly 60 years El Paso area teams have only been able to go 3 GAMES deep in the Texas State Playoffs only 19 times. Think about that. Really think about that. Only 19 times El Paso area teams have been 3 GAMES deep in the Texas State Playoffs in nearly 60 years. When I think about that no El Paso area team is above or any better than any other El Paso area team when it comes to the Texas State Playoffs because as history shows no El Paso area team has been truly consistent in going 3 GAMES deep in the Texas State Playoffs.

If you want to brag about district wins in the regular season in El Paso and nothing to do with the Texas State Playoffs then have it and have some cute inner city fun talk. But high school sports buffs like myself mostly care about the Texas State Playoffs. So go ahead and brag about your district titles. I will close with this lots of El Paso teams have won district titles and have won lots of district regular season games.

I agree with you the mentality of kids now days as well as the parents is really bad are kids want everything handed to them and don't embrace competition. You have to be tough on these kids and its starts at home sorry it's life. The problem with El Paso Football and some of the other sports is these kids don't train for those sports like they do in other cities. I am from Midland I went to Midland Lee played football on varsity for three years started two of those three years some of the best teams ever to play at Midland Lee. I can tell you this we trained hard really hard in offseason it was brutal and kids quit because if was so hard. In fact if you played another sport like basketball or baseball those coaches back then wanted you to go through football offseason because it made you tough and you were in the best shape of your life.

Now things have changed at Midland Lee that's why there program has gone down because the support other coaches gave you no longer exist. Once they change that and kids are training year around then things will change down there. But one of the biggest problems is parents and the lack of support a lot of these kids are growing up in single parent homes and its tough. But as a community you need to rally your fan base to support all the kids take them in and show them they matter. People make the excuses that the talent is to spread out BS its the mentality and the coaching these kids are getting. I know its hard being tough but it has to be done you can be tough and rough on your kids and show them love and show them you care. Its not about being there buddy or making mom and dad happy they will be happy with the outcome on the field its about getting your program to a level that is competitive and making noise past the 1st and 2nd round of the playoffs. The one school that has support but probably doesn't have the mentality of some of the school going east is Canutillo. I think the feeder programs are huge because in Midland there are about 3 to 4 Junior high schools that feed into the Freshman High Schools that are separate from the High schools. The kids learn the system early of what is run in the high schools and all the coaches are on the same sheet of music. The high school coaches know who is coming up and they get to know everything about these kids. Junior high and Middle school sports is horrible in El Paso you have Art teachers that have no clue on the sport they are coaching and its bad. So those things need to change in order for things in El Paso to get better and we are not upset about the outcomes of playoffs for years to come.

The El Paso districts and communities must invest a lot into their programs in order to turn it around. MattStepp laid it out very frankly. As primary contributor to DCTF Magazine for high school football, plus seeing roughly 100 games each season himself, he knows what he's talking about. Kids have to have the support of the districts, communities, parents, and peers to stay excited and motivated to play football and/or other sports. On top of that support and investment, kids must be held accountable for their positive and negative actions in order to have the privilege of playing, or else they never learn and feel entitled. EP must see what the rest of the state is doing, and utilize those lessons instead of staying within their own niche and corner/time zone if want to compete with Texas. This includes interacting across social platforms vice just staying here, because if don't see how it happens elsewhere then everything looks honky dory fine otherwise. Success and rebuilds didn't just happen with San Angelo, Midland, Odessa, Abilene, etc. plus seeing it sometimes in Amarillo and Lubbock. It started a decade or more before consistent deep playoff runs and has continued where the communities and school districts have stuck with what worked.

w w w . e p g r i d i r o n . c o m